Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

a false posted:

T E C H N I C A L L Y brooklyn is still a part of long island, like, the island itself, but no one thinks brooklyn and Long Island as a cultural entity share any similarities beyond this (i hate long island and i love brooklyn but i live on long island :suicide:)

I have always been a Rangers fan, but the prospect of being able to walk to a professional hockey game has me looking into buying some Islanders tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I would agree the Islanders would be the best choice for you. You should also root for Lundqvist separately.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

aw yiss posted:

Guys I need help picking a team to root for help (i am from NY):

Rangers - everyone here seems to hate them and all of my friends like them and I dont like my friends but lundqvist seems pretty sweet.
Sabres - my cool roommate junior year of college liked these guys (their logo is cool as heck).
Islanders - my dad likes them and my gf is from long island but i hate long island.
Canucks - i dunno why I am drawn to them but I really am and their old logo owns. it seems like they might not be that good in the coming years though i dunno?

For instant gratification, a yelling coach and sexy gently caress of a goalie, please hit 1
For moderate disappointment, press 2.
For larger disappointment with a small nucleus of wonderful young talent, press 3.
Don't press 4.

I'm a Rags fan who also roots for the Isles because my family does. Ain't no reason you can't be fans of multiple teams. (I tried to root for Buffalo to complete the NY trifecta, but I couldn't get into it.)

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Rotten Cookies posted:

moderate disappointment

In the same way that Strom Thurmond was a moderate Republican.

Hit three. You'll be in Brooklyn and in to something before it was cool. That's pretty much the goal, right?

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
The islanders are a good team to root for if you wanna root for the team with the best player, the lamb of the world, John Tavares. They also have a great prospect pool with depth at every position and are a few currently productive pieces away from being a playoff team. If certain things go right (Boyes revitalizes himself in the baptismal waters of the holy tavares, Lubo returns to even 75% of the player that led the league points as a d-man 2 seasons ago, and Nabakov still has game) they actually can stay competitive. Alot of guys were playing during the lockout. But the interdivisional games may kill them.

Also Brooklyn will net them 35m more in revenues per year on luxury boxes alone. Basically they should have some money to spend to support a great young core but not a contender now.Rangers have the best team now. Stacked.

If you like swedish netminders, we have one named ANDERS Nillson and he goes by the name of THOR. We also have three swedish dudes on a line called the UPS line that has kind of owned in the AHL and the oldest one is a good bet to make the NHL this year.

Also our TV guy is Howie Rose. Howie Rose is a class act a premier sports announcer who has made legendary calls for the Mets, Isles, and Rangers (back when he was a young lad, and he got to call meaningful games). Poor guy has nothing to cheer for but get angry when ESPN mocks Tavares.

Okposolypse fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 7, 2013

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
So, I'm jumping back into hockey this year and I shall take up my flag as Blue Jackets fan. I know Nash left (blessing be upon him) but what should I know about the current state of the team? Players? Team I should hate with a passion?

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

MonsterWalk posted:

So, I'm jumping back into hockey this year and I shall take up my flag as Blue Jackets fan. I know Nash left (blessing be upon him) but what should I know about the current state of the team? Players? Team I should hate with a passion?

Your teais going through a rebuild but has valued assets and John Davidson as team Pres. They will suck this year but if they can nab Jones/Barkov/MacK/Drouin and one of Ekblad or McDavid the next two theyll be set. They could be better sooner but honestly they dont have the goaltending or high end offense to make up for a hodgepodge blueline.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
On the plus side if you live anywhere near Columbus you're looking at some of the cheapest tickets in the whole league.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

On the plus side if you live anywhere near Columbus you're looking at some of the cheapest tickets in the whole league.

The cost of me and my wife driving from Chicago to Columbus to watch a game, get a hotel for the night, then drive home is probably pretty close to what I'd pay to see a game (with decent seats) in Chicago. :v:

Only bummer is the 6 hour drive.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I was actually just dicking around eBay looking for CBJ seats and they still seem only slightly cheaper than say going to a Bengals game. Is there a better place to get them or am I just really cheap?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

MonsterWalk posted:

in the nash trade you got some decent/interesting players in return. brandon dubinsky is a heart and soul guy who had a lovely season last year but can score. he is funny looking and he rules. you also got artem anisimov, a russian with some good skill who can also score a bit and has seemed at times like he's poised to really break out offensively but hasn't quite. there's also tim erixon, a defensive prospect who needs to gain some strength but should be a legitimate top pairing player eventually. you also traded for nick foligno this offseason who is a very similar player to dubinsky and is also similarly funny looking, although he didn't actually have a bad year last year. as okposolypse said, you're probably not going to be very good for at least a few seasons but starting with this past draft where you got ryan murray with the 2nd overall pick, you should be able to build up a good nucleus of prospects. if murray gets healthy (he's hurt right now) he'll be playing for you this season, people expect him to become a top overall defenseman in the league. the next draft is going to be great and you should have a very good pick in it. your biggest problem, however, is in goal, as steve mason has sucked ever since winning the calder trophy and no one else behind him has proven to be very impressive either.

as far as a team you should hate, probably detroit. they're the villains of your division and they stomped the poo poo out of columbus the only time they ever made the playoffs.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Goetta posted:

I was actually just dicking around eBay looking for CBJ seats and they still seem only slightly cheaper than say going to a Bengals game. Is there a better place to get them or am I just really cheap?

Stubhub real close to game time. Student rush if you have a college ID. I also got bombarded with promotional emails from them about their Friday and Saturday night specials. It would be like $25 for a ticket and assorted swag--some combo of a hat, hot dog, soda, Tim Hortons, free ice skating at the rink in the building, etc.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

MonsterWalk posted:

If you like goal scorers, viktor stalberg is about to become your favorite player.

He actually plays for the blackhawks but kills the jackets. The jackets are going to be terrible for a couple more years, and I don't have much faith in their front office to turn it around. They got some good pieces in the Nash trade, but they're stuck in a division (for the time being) that is really, really good.

We can all agree Detroit sucks though.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Lawnie posted:

We can all agree Detroit sucks though.

Once on the way out of a Penguins/Blue Jackets game at Nationwide we had a very spirited bipartisan RED WINGS SUCK chant

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At the charity game that happened in Chicago a few months back, everyone kept chanting 'red wings sucks'. If you ever come to the midwest, that's just the thing you're supposed to yell at hockey games.

A couple times the chants morphed into 'bettman sucks' but the anti-red wings group was a lot louder.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

a false posted:

your biggest problem, however, is in goal, as steve mason has sucked ever since winning the calder trophy and no one else behind him has proven to be very impressive either.

Bobrovsky's on the case!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

Stubhub real close to game time. Student rush if you have a college ID. I also got bombarded with promotional emails from them about their Friday and Saturday night specials. It would be like $25 for a ticket and assorted swag--some combo of a hat, hot dog, soda, Tim Hortons, free ice skating at the rink in the building, etc.

Ok, thanks. Have you had any luck scalping outside the arena?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

ElwoodCuse posted:

Once on the way out of a Penguins/Blue Jackets game at Nationwide we had a very spirited bipartisan RED WINGS SUCK chant

I've never heard "red Wings suck" at the United center in the last few years, it's always "DE-TROIT SUCKS" which I think is much catchier. It's always fun drowning out the "let's go red Wings" chants from wings fans when they play each other.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I haven't followed hockey in probably 12 years, but I think it's time to get back in on it. I don't live anywhere where there's an NHL team. So, what team should I follow? I was more a Joe Sakic fan than an Avs fan, and I half-heartedly pulled for Calgary sometimes. It doesn't have to be a western team, just a non-boring, non-Penguins team. I am way out of the loop but hope to catch up!

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Nashville.

They have mustard jerseys and are generally pretty cool.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Nashville was brand new the last time I was watching. I'll check out a game when the season starts.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Follow a division closest to your time zone, if you don't want to be tired and irritable.

Okay Gary next on the ticket: get Dallas playing central and mountain time teams please.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

xzzy posted:

At the charity game that happened in Chicago a few months back, everyone kept chanting 'red wings sucks'. If you ever come to the midwest, that's just the thing you're supposed to yell at hockey games.

A couple times the chants morphed into 'bettman sucks' but the anti-red wings group was a lot louder.

See, I can get behind a good anti-Redwing chant. But I think now, in this hour, we should rally around each other and hurl the most vicious and cruel epithets at Our Fair Commissioner. Wouldn't you agree!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I really haven't watched a ton of hockey since I first started college (2004), but I grew up in the Metro-Detroit area and the Red Wings have always been my favorite team. Could anyone give a brief rundown of how the roster looks this year? A few things I know: Nicklas Lidstrom retired after last season and Henrik Zetterberg is our new captain...and poo poo that's basically it :( I recognize a few of the other names on the roster: Helm (fast and small from what I remember), Abdelkader (he played at MSU), Franzen (known as the Mule) Datsyuk (one of our better players), and that's basically it. I could be totally wrong on all of that info, though. What are the team strengths and weaknesses? What's the best way (other than watching the season) to catch up on the team and the players? What's going on with our goalies?

Second question: what do I need to know about the Colorado Avalanche other than I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to still hate them? I live in Denver now, and one of my coworkers started giving me poo poo I think the first day I started; I was planning on reading up on them but the lockout pushed that deadline back pretty far. So now I need to know what I'm talking about and hope I don't get stabbed by her when I'm not looking.

Third; the more time I've spent outside of Michigan, the more I've found that most people really don't like the Red Wings; a guy I went to school with is a fan of the Yankees, Red Wings, Patriots, Notre Dame, and Lakers and he's a total rear end in a top hat about all of that; is that how most fans of the team are perceived? I know they've had an awesome string of success over the past 20+ years, which kind of makes sense that they would develop some animosity. I also just looked up Todd Bertuzzi's hit on Steve Moore since that's seemed to be the go-to insult for me at work, and man, that's awful :( Is he known as a dirty player or was that just a really lovely decision on his part?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out! All I need to do now is figure out a decent way to get the games on TV out here and I'll be all set; I think I saw a thread about it tho so I'll take that question over there.
edit: just signed up for GameCenter Live; $50 for the season is a hell of a deal!

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 16, 2013

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

To me, the stereotype of bad Red Wings fans is the "boo hoo we didn't win a Cup this year it's so hard to be a fan of this awful team" guy. Just don't do that and you'll get along fine here.

As for Bertuzzi, he's a dick. Don't worry about defending him when the Wings have such more rad players like Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hello novice thread. I'm making you a sticky for the start of the NHL season once again!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I became casually interested in hockey some ten years ago through a now ex-girlfriend from Denver and have consequently supported the Avalanche in a plastic, "oh hey they won cool" kind of way. I am planning to get back into it and actually pay proper attention this time. Some questions:

- I am planning to continue to root for the Avalanche. I am from Baltimore. (I am already vaguely aware that the Avalanche are much worse than they used to be. I am okay with this. I am accustomed to the not-last-year's Orioles and I also like the Cubs. Not winning does not horrify me.) DC sports teams don't really feel like "my" team, though I deal with it for soccer. Am I going to take poo poo for this?

- As an Avalanche fan, who am I contractually obligated to hate?

- What if any players are there to love/hate with the Avs? Any management drama?

- I know about the time zone difference, how crazy late am I going to be up watching?

- Getting their GameCenter package or whatever will let me watch Avs games with my Roku, right? (I do have cable and a sports package, I assume anything blacked out locally/shown nationally will be on there.) (edit: I just saw the GC/CI thread, looks like everything is cool on this one.)

- I don't know enough about hockey tactics to know if this is a meaningful question. Have there been any major changes to how the game is played, in terms of tactics or rule changes, in the last 8-10 years or so? I did read the OP and I know about the trapezoid although I don't remember if that was a thing last time I paid attention.

guppy fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 16, 2013

FetalDave
Jun 25, 2011

Moumantai!
- You'll get the regular amount of heckling if you go to a Capitals game wearing an Avs jersey, however this year they aren't playing the Avs so you don't have to worry about that!

- You pretty much have to hate Detroit.

- Don't know Avs drama too well to answer this one.

- The latest your games would start is 10:00PM EST. You'd probably be up until around 11:30-12:00 for those ones, but some start at 8:00 or 9:00.

- GameCenter look at your ip address when you login to web based players (Roku, PS3, Mobile Device, etc.). If it detects you're in an area where a game should be blacked out, you won't be able to watch it.

- Rules haven't changed too much since the last lockout ended, but headshots are a big thing now. Basically, if anyone ever hits anyone in the head, you can probably be they'll be suspended.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Caps fans are pussies, don't worry about getting poo poo while cheering for another team at Verizon Center

If you have to work and get up early in the morning then you're going to hate following a Western team.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
So if I'm looking at this right the games start Saturday and there's no preseason or anything? Would there be anything particularly amusing we can expect to see?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Grittybeard posted:

So if I'm looking at this right the games start Saturday and there's no preseason or anything? Would there be anything particularly amusing we can expect to see?

Probably terrible defense (everyone's positioning will be a little off and all of that) and possibly some groin injuries, but I don't think you'll see anything particularly gong show worthy

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Levitate posted:

but I don't think you'll see anything particularly gong show worthy

Let's not forget that Columbus is still a team in the NHL.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
So as somebody who's totally ignored the lockout and everything since the playoffs in general, can anybody tell me if the Predators are better/worse than last year?

Bowing out like we did last year was a bitter pill so I'm wondering if I should welcome or dread watching them this year. Generally I love watching Pekka Rinne do cool poo poo, I'm just wondering what to expect.

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 16, 2013

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Probably worse because they lost Ryan Suter, who was arguably their best overall defenseman. They should still be shooting for a playoff spot, though, and if you make the playoffs then you never know what might happen

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I forgot about Suter.

I'm really gonna miss him :(

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

TEBOW 3 16 posted:

So as somebody who's totally ignored the lockout and everything since the playoffs in general, can anybody tell me if the Predators are better/worse than last year?

Bowing out like we did last year was a bitter pill so I'm wondering if I should welcome or dread watching them this year. Generally I love watching Pekka Rinne do cool poo poo, I'm just wondering what to expect.

I would say they're probably somewhat worse on paper but in the short season anything can happen. As a Preds fan I'm planning on just enjoying hockey this year and not getting too worked up about how the team does.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Levitate posted:

Probably terrible defense (everyone's positioning will be a little off and all of that) and possibly some groin injuries, but I don't think you'll see anything particularly gong show worthy

Flyers defense + goaltending.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Oh yeah Malkin and Crosby are gonna run wild on Philly's defense on Saturday

much like the Flyers will on the Penguins

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Denver goon here, so allow me to put in my $.02

guppy posted:

- I am planning to continue to root for the Avalanche. I am from Baltimore. (I am already vaguely aware that the Avalanche are much worse than they used to be. I am okay with this. I am accustomed to the not-last-year's Orioles and I also like the Cubs. Not winning does not horrify me.) DC sports teams don't really feel like "my" team, though I deal with it for soccer. Am I going to take poo poo for this?

We're going to forgive you for being from Baltimore just this once.

quote:

- As an Avalanche fan, who am I contractually obligated to hate?

Todd Bertuzzi and any team Todd Bertuzzi plays for. Traditionally, the real rivalry was with Detroit, and you still have to hate them, but also leave enough room to hate on Vancouver.

quote:

- What if any players are there to love/hate with the Avs? Any management drama?

The big deal with the Avs right now is with trying to sign back last year's top scorer: Ryan O'Reilly. Nothing else has changed much. Gabe Landeskog is our Captain, and a completely awesome person to watch play. Matt Duschene and Paul Stastny still haven't done much for us lately, and our blue-line is absolutely awful. The only defenseman of note is Erik johnson, and he's also been hit or miss.

quote:

- I know about the time zone difference, how crazy late am I going to be up watching?

Most games start between 6-8pm Mountain, so some nights you'll be up until midnight, but not usually.

quote:

- Getting their GameCenter package or whatever will let me watch Avs games with my Roku, right? (I do have cable and a sports package, I assume anything blacked out locally/shown nationally will be on there.) (edit: I just saw the GC/CI thread, looks like everything is cool on this one.)

I can't speak to this, but since you're out of market, I think you'll get all the games live.

quote:

- I don't know enough about hockey tactics to know if this is a meaningful question. Have there been any major changes to how the game is played, in terms of tactics or rule changes, in the last 8-10 years or so? I did read the OP and I know about the trapezoid although I don't remember if that was a thing last time I paid attention.

In the last 10 years, hockey has gotten much less clutchy/grabby. That's the biggest change. The league has placed more of an emphasis on interference than they did a decade ago, so most defensemen have to be "better" skaters than they used to be. Giant grab-o-trons that made their money bulldozing oncoming forwards are less valuable than they used to be. That said, everyone is pretty much bigger and faster these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crooow!
Dec 7, 2005

Abortions for some, tiny American flags for others!
As someone who watched hockey, mostly Dallas, in the late-90s before stopping, I was wondering how Dallas has been. I hear they weren't good last year. Have they gotten any better?

• Locked thread