Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Gyges posted:

The whole thing with Marineford was that they could totally do filler. It's a literal war between pirates and the marines, make filler battles. Hell, make an entire filler subplot about a filler pirate/crew and his/their filler arch nemesis in the Marines. Fighting it out on the sidelines, trying to get to Ace.

They did make some cool filler fights by expanding the Fullbody/Django fights a bit, as well as a cool Itano Circus-ish Smoker fight. The only problem was that these fights took up 30 seconds at most.

Toei just knows that One Piece will do well regardless of animation or pacing quality, so they put their budget elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I think a lot of the problems the anime has would be solved if they went in seasons so the manga would have a few months to get ahead, but apparently it just doesn't work like that in Japanese television.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Drakkel posted:

I think a lot of the problems the anime has would be solved if they went in seasons so the manga would have a few months to get ahead, but apparently it just doesn't work like that in Japanese television.

The Bakuman anime does this, and so do others. The problem is that since One Piece is so popular they want to maximize profits and keep viewership up.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The Bakuman anime does this, and so do others. The problem is that since One Piece is so popular they want to maximize profits and keep viewership up.

Also I remember hearing that there's no guarantee that a show gets its timeslot back when it takes a break for seasons. Which doesn't really matter for most anime that comes on at like 2, but I guess that screws up OP since they can easily get a slot that's too young/old for the target demographic and it's basically on primetime now.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
How could the most popular show in Japan possibly have trouble getting whatever timeslot it needs?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Because Japan.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Anony Mouse posted:

How could the most popular show in Japan possibly have trouble getting whatever timeslot it needs?

Because the second most popular show wants it, or something to that extent.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Anony Mouse posted:

Because companies pay for the timeslot, so the stations don't really care who's paying them as long as they get paid.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Srice posted:

Because companies pay for the timeslot, so the stations don't really care who's paying them as long as they get paid.

I'm not a business major or anything, but I'd have to imagine that having a more popular show would mean you could charge more for the same slot and that advertisers would be willing to pay more for airtime during the show's break too, no? I would think it's just done that way because it's always been done that way regardless of quality or popularity and people don't like change, especially businessmen.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
If you like good things, you'll like the movie

Sorry for the lovely picture (probably with my thumb in the way)

It seems all the money they saved by not animating the series so well went into the movie. But I feel like it was co-directed by Michael Bay in a centrifuge.

Also you get a free manga if you go now!

But unfortunately, movie spoiler: the alpaca makes no appearance or even mention.

Oh, and the Taylor Swift or whatever her name is 's songs don't ruin it, so don't worry.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 15, 2012

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shadow0 posted:

But unfortunately, movie spoiler: the alpaca makes no appearance or even mention.

Boycotting this travesty now.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Alpacaccino is the best filler character in anything ever. It's an alpaca-cannon with an Al Pacino pun. Unbeatable.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Shadow0 posted:

Oh, and the Taylor Swift or whatever her name is 's songs don't ruin it, so don't worry.
Taylor Swift songs would only make this movie better. Avril Lavigne and a Nickleback cover are what's actually in it!

Is the little giant in the movie? She's a great character.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Flameingblack posted:

Taylor Swift songs would only make this movie better. Avril Lavigne and a Nickleback cover are what's actually in it!

Is the little giant in the movie? She's a great character.

Oh yeah, --- no.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Shadow0 posted:

Also you get a free manga if you go now!

GO WHERE

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.

Sekkira posted:

GO WHERE

Under there

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Under where?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sekkira posted:

GO WHERE

See it in theaters.

Sorry, I thought it was a manga, but it's actually much cooler than that

I was finally able to overcome my OCD and open the thing. There's a stamp, stickers, an art book, and even a gameboard.

Also you can buy the One Piece newspapers there.

Apparently there are 3 others. Along with the trillion of other One Piece merchandise.

I'm excited for when the subs come out (so I can better understand it) and so I can post about it more.

I'll give you this though: Movie spoiler? (Just one of Nami's outfits)
http://s13.postimage.org/j8q3ihv0n/1355545471784.jpg
This scene (and others like it) went on for an uncomfortably long time. Yes, that's pretty much the whole frame. Nothing was even moving. (Again my thumb is in the way, sorry)

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Shadow0 posted:

See it in theaters.

I live in Australia and know no theatres here showing it.

Sekkira fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 16, 2012

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
I'm pretty sure he lives in Japan, dude.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
New Episode

gently caress your logic, it has no place in the greatest combo attack. Also Devil Fruits keep you clean of various bodily fluids in addition to keeping your cloths intact. Not sure why they shied away from giving Luffy a spectacular giant rack when he did get horns though.

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.

Gyges posted:

New Episode
Not sure why they shied away from giving Luffy a spectacular giant rack when he did get horns though.
... I didn't even think of that...
:aaaaa:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I'm mostly impressed by how she didn't suffocate inside of a man made of rubber.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Or boiled alive for that matter.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Not sure why they shied away from giving Luffy a spectacular giant rack when he did get horns though.

Yeah, it's very unOda-like. I was really expecting it.

Anyone else find the ridiculous submarine kamikaze attempts absolutely hilarious? They were literally flying out of the water into nothing and then exploded. They could have easily crashed their boats into the bottom of their boat and sank it and it would have been worth something. Or they could have jumped out. But there was no point to it at all anyway, the long-arm dude just crashes his boat on land and tries to fight Luffy himself.

The movie is a lot darker, like in the last few seconds of the last episode. Going from the movie to these episodes is kind of weird because the movie is so serious, but in the show, they are launching their subs into the air into mountains and exploding.

Also, anyone else feel like Nami controls weather more than predicts it? (More than just her staff obviously). Whenever the Straw Hats are in trouble, suddenly the ocean does something ridiculous to save them.

And I'm still surprised Crimin isn't a clothing brand yet. I think Oda secretly dreams of being a fashion designer. But anyone else think Nami's latest outfit is a wedding dress? I can't not see it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Shadow0 posted:

And I'm still surprised Crimin isn't a clothing brand yet. I think Oda secretly dreams of being a fashion designer. But anyone else think Nami's latest outfit is a wedding dress? I can't not see it.

I fully expect pictures of a Con wedding to show up at some point with a girl wearing that dress with the husband probably wearing a Sanji outfit. Being a Con the bridesmaids will probably be Lola and Big Mam.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

Also, anyone else feel like Nami controls weather more than predicts it? (More than just her staff obviously). Whenever the Straw Hats are in trouble, suddenly the ocean does something ridiculous to save them.

I thought for a long time that Nami was supposed to have Observation Haki, which could explain her spot-on predictions, but apparently that's not it. She's just that good at forecasting.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
Even by One Piece standards, this ep was just too absurd.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'd say that's because One Piece has standards. This episode downright sucked.

Shame, I actually like Lily. Pity the rest of the filler was so terrible.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guess it's back to them stretching out a chapter of manga per episode next week then.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So... has anyone brought up Adventure on Hand Island yet? Cause I had no idea it existed until I saw it randomly while browsing YouTube, and I would have figured the thread would have mentioned it at some point. (and if someone has, then I guess I'm just dumb)

The wiki says it aired right after episode 576, released the same day as Film Z, and clocking in at over an hour forty, it's the longest TV special by a mile, basically a whole new One Piece film.

EDIT: vvv Nope, plus it's already been taken down. I was mainly just curious why I hadn't heard about it until it was already released.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 25, 2012

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Its not subbed afaik.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
New Episode is up.

Already trying to cash in on Hobbit tie ins. For shame One Piece. :colbert:

They probably should have tossed in some more filler though since this is the start of the arc that's going on in the manga right now.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So now Robin is also a master statician?

I thought this episode was pretty good as far as the pacing wasn't too noticeable. But I really wish they would just give us a filler arc. I feel like they had the perfect chance just now and they skipped it.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Gyges posted:

They probably should have tossed in some more filler though since this is the start of the arc that's going on in the manga right now.
I'm pretty sure this week's manga chapter or the week after will be the end of Punk Hazard.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cat Machine posted:

I'm pretty sure this week's manga chapter or the week after will be the end of Punk Hazard.

Impossible. Strawhats can't end an arc without at least one party chapter.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gyges posted:

New Episode is up.

Idk the current arc is really long. 50+ chapters so far and it looks like it'll continue for atleast 15 more.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Gyges posted:

New Episode is up.

Dragons aren't something the Hobbit has dibs on in regards to originality.

Also, haven't they encountered them before hitting the grand line in a filler arc? I'm pretty sure Oda is deferred to when they want to do filler and he needs to approve it. Maybe it's an oversight? Or maybe it's just because Robin is unaware of what they did before meeting up with them.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Gigantic oversight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Sekkira posted:

Dragons aren't something the Hobbit has dibs on in regards to originality.

Also, haven't they encountered them before hitting the grand line in a filler arc? I'm pretty sure Oda is deferred to when they want to do filler and he needs to approve it. Maybe it's an oversight? Or maybe it's just because Robin is unaware of what they did before meeting up with them.

AFAIK that filler arc was from before they ran stuff past Oda.