Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Well ladies and gents, I got back from my trip last Sunday, and now finally got settled back down to start going through the hundreds of shots I took.

I typically fix 'em up in Photoshop before I post them online. Here are a few teasers to whet your appetite:

(apologies for odd color balance, some of us can't afford 12,000 lumen light rigs)

Nudibranch. They're my favorite subjects; they're colorful, unique, and loving SIT STILL.

Sleepy Turtle says hi.

Yours truly.

I guess my next goal is to get a flash for my cheapie digicam. Something to tame all that blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macado
Jun 3, 2003

How to keep an idiot busy, Click here.

Bangkero posted:

Just wanted to follow up on this. The DRIS light is awesome and I'm definitely grabbing one later this year. When my brother turned the light on in the crowded living room - everyone looked towards him like he just activated a lightsaber. :wookie:

Tried it in the pool - went well. The one thing I was worried after reading the complaints about the twist on/off being prone to user error. I've concluded that those complaints are voiced by retards.

Hope you're as impressed as I was!

Nice. Should be using this light this Saturday and Sunday on some wrecks so I can report back. So far I've been impressed; it is brighter than a lot of entry level can lights.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
How's Australia for dive jobs nowadays?

I've been thinking lately of taking the IDC and teaching diving fulltime. I know I could get by with this on a place like Koh Tao, but I'm banned from Thailand, so that's a no-go.

The dive shop closest to me will run their annual IDC course this July, I'm not sure whether to sign up. I know that I could take the money I'd spend on a full-kit and course and put it towards a TESOL MA, and keep slogging away at ESL for another year, but I'd seriously rather not.

Where in the world is there demand for dive instructors these days? I need a new job.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Trivia posted:

Well ladies and gents, I got back from my trip last Sunday, and now finally got settled back down to start going through the hundreds of shots I took.
Nice pics! I threw the one of the turtle into the OP

Bishop fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 9, 2013

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Jesus Christ, what the gently caress do you have to do to get BANNED from THAILAND, of all places? Murder a convent full of elderly nuns?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Just going through my open water course right now (done one pool session), I have my ocean dives this weekend and it is supposed to be snowing, hooray.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Dread Head posted:

Just going through my open water course right now (done one pool session), I have my ocean dives this weekend and it is supposed to be snowing, hooray.

When the air is colder than the water, during your surface interval, strip halfway down and load your rear end up in sweaters/jackets/blankets to warm up. It'll be a little weird having your lower half in wet neoprene/top dry, but trust me its worth it. Drink hot coffee and hot chocolate. If you strip down 100%, you will most likely quit since putting on a wet wetsuit when its freezing out is literally the worst.

If you strip halfway, you can keep your core/top half warm, and it will make the entire world of difference diving for you. Super big parkas like NFL players wear on the sidelines are amazing for cold weather diving.

Good luck. Also, if you're rocking a drysuit, then ignore this and have fun.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Video my girlfriend took of us having some fun with Fur Seals in Western Australia a couple of days ago, great sites!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGVZqt30VrU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
For those that don't know, a good method of putting on a (dry/wet) wetsuit is to put your hand and forearm in a plastic shopping bag, then slipping it through. Makes it much less of a pain in the rear end.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Crunkjuice posted:

When the air is colder than the water, during your surface interval, strip halfway down and load your rear end up in sweaters/jackets/blankets to warm up. It'll be a little weird having your lower half in wet neoprene/top dry, but trust me its worth it. Drink hot coffee and hot chocolate. If you strip down 100%, you will most likely quit since putting on a wet wetsuit when its freezing out is literally the worst.

If you strip halfway, you can keep your core/top half warm, and it will make the entire world of difference diving for you. Super big parkas like NFL players wear on the sidelines are amazing for cold weather diving.

Yeah going to be rocking a dry suit so not that worried, the water here is pretty cold even in the summer (~12c) so it is pretty much mandatory.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I'm hopefully going to be doing my first liveaboard trip this summer. Just a quick 3 day trip to the Dry Tortugas, but everyone I've talked to that has done the trip said it's awesome. Hopefully my dive club gets it scheduled so we can start booking spots.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

rockcity posted:

I'm hopefully going to be doing my first liveaboard trip this summer. Just a quick 3 day trip to the Dry Tortugas, but everyone I've talked to that has done the trip said it's awesome. Hopefully my dive club gets it scheduled so we can start booking spots.
That's a cool place to visit even if you aren't diving it. Being stationed at the fort there (before there was even a railroad going down the Keys) must have been miserable though.

I did not realize they had good diving there... From a boater's prespective, the Dry Tortugas are harder to get at than the Bahamas or Cuba, despite being on American soil.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 9, 2013

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bishop posted:

That's a cool place to visit even if you aren't diving it. Being stationed at the fort there (before there was even a railroad going down the Keys) must have been miserable though.

I did not realize they had good diving there... From a boater's prespective, the Dry Tortugas are harder to get at than the Bahamas or Cuba, despite being on American soil.

Yeah, supposedly the diving is excellent there. One of the hidden gems in the states. I think there is a liveaboard that leaves out of Key West, but the one we're looking at is out of Fort Myers. The club I'm part of has done it before and loved it. The spearfishing and photography down there are great from what I hear. I think it would be a great opportunity for me to work on my underwater photo skills since they get you out on 6 or more dives a day.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
PM me a date and a price if that trip comes together! If I can make it work that would be something worth doing.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 9, 2013

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Its not called "ultimate getaway" is it? Ive heard horror stories.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 10, 2013

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I made it on a 65 foot boat but we picked our weather and even then it was a rough trip.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

Its not called "ultimate getaway" is it? Ive heard horror stories.

It is. Our club has done it in the past with good results. I have read some horror stories too, but most of them involved the trip getting cancelled because of people backing out at the last minute. Apparently they only require a $100 deposit and sometimes people back out like two days prior to the trip and then they cancel it. I'm not too worried about that because our club should fill up a bunch of spots on the trip and we won't back out or we'll find people to fill the spots.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

East gales to 35 kt. Wind waves 17 ft. Scattered showers.

Its time to DIVE
Some video I shot the other day just a experiment what you think? Trying to do some "creative" video LOL

https://vimeo.com/57113477

You can go to link below and download the 5k full version of that file too if you wish to see what 5k video looks like in full res :)

5120x2700 video LOL

https://vimeo.com/57116014

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 10, 2013

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Dread Head posted:

You could poor some worm water inside your wetsuite just to have this little bit more comfort just before the dive.
Put it on and let someone poor it in from the neck. Test if it is not to hot haha.

And just tell the instructors when your are getting to cold.

Good luck.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Dread Head posted:

Yeah going to be rocking a dry suit so not that worried, the water here is pretty cold even in the summer (~12c) so it is pretty much mandatory.

You are going to do your open water in -12 in a dry suite!

With water temps of 0c we only do divings of 30 minutes or so in a dry suite.

You have my respect.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
When poo poo gets too cold for a dry suit there's always the option of using a hot water suit.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Bishop posted:

When poo poo gets too cold for a dry suit there's always the option of using a hot water suit.

For an ow course. It would be a kind of suicide.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Crunkjuice posted:

Wouldn't leaving the wetsuit on all the way keep you warmer? I am curious because I'm about to finish my OW cert and the water temp is expected to be about 58F, outside temp should be somewhere between that and 65F.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Aquila posted:

Wouldn't leaving the wetsuit on all the way keep you warmer? I am curious because I'm about to finish my OW cert and the water temp is expected to be about 58F, outside temp should be somewhere between that and 65F.

In my experience, no. You'll be wet, its windy, and thats just a miserable combination. I think it's easier to warm up your core if you're dry. Also, if you try to put clothes/towels over a wet wetsuit, all thats gonna get wet and nasty to deal with. I also fully admit that i'm a super bitch when it comes to the cold, and if i won the lottery, i would install a goddamn sauna at my local dive park for my personal use.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I knew an instructor who would wear her semidry if the water temperature dropped below 27C. True story.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Orions Lord posted:

You could poor some worm water inside your wetsuite just to have this little bit more comfort just before the dive.
Put it on and let someone poor it in from the neck. Test if it is not to hot haha.

And just tell the instructors when your are getting to cold.

Good luck.

Pouring in water dilates the blood vessels, you actually will get colder faster I do not advise it :(

eviljelly posted:

I knew an instructor who would wear her semidry if the water temperature dropped below 27C. True story.

Bite me I dive dry in Hawaii

However you can rearrange those words.

Bite the dive I am going in dry?

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 10, 2013

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I don't even wear a wetsuit. Boardshorts + rashguard 4 lyfe~

EDIT : In Thai waters, I mean. I would rather just not dive if the water was cooler than 23C or so.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

I find that wind blowing over a wetsuit creates an evaporative cooling effect that really gets you cold quick.

Down here in FL things are terrible, the brutal water temps are hovering right around 74* so I can never figure out if I should wear my 3mil suit or my rashguard and vest when I do diving. I have to pack both.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Aquila posted:

Nope, it's definitely a lot warmer to pull down the top and wear a sweatshirt. Water transmits heat much more efficiently than air, so the best way of staying warm is to dry off. The water out here in the Pacific Northwest is around 12C in the ocean, and down to 2C in the mountain runoff lakes, so I've definitely use every trick in the book to stay warm.

SlicerDicer posted:

Pouring in water dilates the blood vessels, you actually will get colder faster I do not advise it :(

Pouring hot water down the front of your wetsuit is totally awesome and everyone should try it. Your blood vessels will dilate naturally to absorb the heat, but they close just as quickly. It's a totally normal part of thermoregulation.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
If I had the money for a new drysuit I'd use it all the time. It's a redundant source of buoyancy.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Orions Lord posted:

You are going to do your open water in -12 in a dry suite!

With water temps of 0c we only do divings of 30 minutes or so in a dry suite.

You have my respect.

Not -12 ~12 as in approximately 12c I think the current water temperature is 10c.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

eviljelly posted:

I don't even wear a wetsuit. Boardshorts + rashguard 4 lyfe~

EDIT : In Thai waters, I mean. I would rather just not dive if the water was cooler than 23C or so.

I dove shorts and rashguard on Koh Tao.

3mm shorty wetsuit in Kauai, everyone thought I was nuts and was using 6mm fulls in february, I was fine.

I'm sure I'll be doing 6mm full once I start diving Tobermory this summer. But I prefer rashguard.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

If I had the money for a new drysuit I'd use it all the time. It's a redundant source of buoyancy.

That it is! And you stay nice and toasty!

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

I dove shorts and rashguard on Koh Tao.

3mm shorty wetsuit in Kauai, everyone thought I was nuts and was using 6mm fulls in february, I was fine.

I'm sure I'll be doing 6mm full once I start diving Tobermory this summer. But I prefer rashguard.

It's different for everyone.

On liveaboards at the Red Sea I bring a double 7mm with me.
Using only the first layer. With a lose cap. The cap is very thin like 3mm.

In the end of the week I usualy fit the double 7mm.

I think a single 7mm will do no harm in any hot country.
And if it is getting to hot when rigging up you can poor in cold water in the wetsuit.

Or you make the wetsuit wet before puting it on.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Orions Lord posted:

I think a single 7mm will do no harm in any hot country.

Heatstroke is a real condition. 7 mil suits and/or drysuits in 100F/38C air temps is asking for trouble.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

pupdive posted:

Heatstroke is a real condition. 7 mil suits and/or drysuits in 100F/38C air temps is asking for trouble.

Well I did do some diving in Jeddah in the summer time.
Anyway probably again personal.

I agree that having a 7mm wetsuite at 38C and you have to wait for whatever is not really the best situation.
But you should be near the water anyway to cool you down.

I fou have to walk far with your gear on it is a bad option I agree. With hot temperatures.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

pupdive posted:

It depends on the drysuit. I know people who dive DUI 30/30's in texas summer and are just fine, but thats about the only suit i would try that in.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Crunkjuice posted:

It depends on the drysuit. I know people who dive DUI 30/30's in texas summer and are just fine, but thats about the only suit i would try that in.

Can always suit up hit the water, go back get in gear hit water. Its not out of line for me to do this in 90+ degree temps of Maui

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

SlicerDicer posted:

Can always suit up hit the water, go back get in gear hit water. Its not out of line for me to do this in 90+ degree temps of Maui

What do you wear for Maui again?

For me, Hawaii= 3 mil Farmer John, or 0.5 fullsuit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

pupdive posted:

What do you wear for Maui again?

For me, Hawaii= 3 mil Farmer John, or 0.5 fullsuit

Bare Tech Dry, 200gram Fleece