Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.
Right, but the point of having the two layer tube shaped waistband on top is so that your pants don't fall down... If you just hemmed the top it wouldn't be structurally solid (wrinkles, stretching) and also you'd have to pull them up all the time, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

The hem is folded over, so there's two layers just for the waistband. Whether they fall down at that point depends on the stretchiness of the fabric and how close you've cut it to your measurements.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

gently caress's sake. They rearranged the sewing area at the hackerspace I work/play at and it's AWFUL. The total floor space has been reduced by a third. All the machines are against windowless walls, so you don't have any space to move fabric behind the machine. When you sit at the machine, you occupy the runway of space around the smaller cutting table where the fabric rolls and paper are stored. There's no way to reach the bins of fabric storage without standing on a rickety-rear end bar stool. The ironing station is now inconvenient to everything except for the desk where we do paperwork/computer things. Literally the only thing that is improved is the lighting because it's in a corner with white walls so it's a bit brighter.

I want to murder people.

edit: AND WHY DOES EVERYTHING SMELL LIKE PUSSY

Pile of Kittens fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 30, 2012

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Pile of Kittens posted:

edit: AND WHY DOES EVERYTHING SMELL LIKE PUSSY

Crazy cat lady quilters? :ohdear: Getting bad memories of cat fabric sales at work...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I lucked out and found this Singer 758 at a thrift store for $16:

Everything runs perfectly on it, although I need to go over it and give it a good oiling. I can finally zig-zag!

The only downside is that the timing belt is cracking and could use replacing. Is that something I should pay someone to do, or is it possible to do myself? I've replaced timing belts in engines so i'm guessing the same "be ultra careful that everything is aligned right!" advice applies.

Really though even if it craps itself I now have a nice carrying case and newer speed control for my 604 Singer. That's pretty much the main reason I bought this; the machine working flawlessly was a really unexpected bonus.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I need to take some shirts in, and a quick google got me this, which seems quite straight forward.
I do wonder about ripping out all the seams first though; if I'm sewing far enough in I'm not going to need the previously seamed-fabric to make up my seam allowance can't I just pin, sew and cut while it's still intact then trim the excess?

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
Baaad idea. Clothes aren't made on straight lines. Your shirt will fit very strangely and you won't be able to do either flat-felled or French seams right. Sewing's one of those things where even though it seems like you can cut corners (... :rimshot: ) you really can't. Trust me on this.

Reverend Cheddar fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 3, 2012

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Yeah, do all the steps. It's asking for trouble if you want to do french seams that way. I don't know what Rev. Cheddar is talking about, as that tutorial shows curved seams. I'd try it out on some thrift store shirts first, just to get the tricky bits worked out before you go chopping up your nice shirts.

Also, when they turn the seam after sewing it the first time, they say iron it tight. They loving mean it. Make sure that seam is perfectly turned and snug as hell. You don't want ANY wiggle when you sew back along the seam line to encase the raw edges. You need a good iron and patience.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Pile of Kittens posted:

I don't know what Rev. Cheddar is talking about, as that tutorial shows curved seams.

It's just been my experience when people are doing an alteration like this for the first time that they don't realize that seams like that aren't necessarily straight.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

How does that make it a bad idea? Just say "remember that the seams are curved and follow the instructions carefully". We all started out somewhere. I know I've made some hideous alterations, and now I do that poo poo for money.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
Well, yeah, we've all been there. And god knows I was raked over the coals for my own sewing work many times before, for trying to cut corners without fully understanding what I was doing. That's more what my point is about rather than if the seam is straight or curved or not (as you said that doesn't really matter).

In any case I just wanna help the guy, hopefully getting him started on the right foot the right way, is all :ohdear:

Reverend Cheddar fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 5, 2012

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Ahah thanks guys, "shut up and do as you're told because reasons" would have been perfectly adequate. Hitting a thrift store at lunch hopefully, so I don't louse up my better ones.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Oh, okay! SHUT UP AND DO AS YOU'RE TOLD. You are not yet worthy of the inner secrets of alterations!

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

OK so I unpicked the shirt last night, and the front panels are wider than the back. It's possible it has stretched (it's not a new shirt) but am I right in thinking I should just line up the edges, pull the back flat, bunch the excess fabric in the middle and pin it down to prevent it moving? I'm taking in about one inch from each side doubled, so 4in total for what used to be a fairly snug shirt :woop:

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
Yeah, that part you can go hog wild with if you feel like you need to get it out of the way (I don't just cause I know I'd poke myself with a pin unawares, and getting blood on something you've been working on sucks). Just make 100% sure that what you are sewing (the seam) is flat and perfectly lined up and you should be good.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Yeah, that part you can go hog wild with if you feel like you need to get it out of the way (I don't just cause I know I'd poke myself with a pin unawares, and getting blood on something you've been working on sucks). Just make 100% sure that what you are sewing (the seam) is flat and perfectly lined up and you should be good.

Blood is the easiest organic stain to get out of fabric. Little bit of hydrogen peroxide and you're back in business! Put your pins in perpendicular to the edge, not parallel, and use a ton of them (every half inch or so is good).

mirthdefect: I'm having trouble visualizing what you mean by saying the front panels are wider than the back. Do you mean, when you have drawn your new seams, they don't line up length-wise any more? Or do you mean that the front is farther around than the back is? You should not mess with that particular ratio, and you should be taking off fabric an equal amount from the front and the back at the side seams.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Pile of Kittens posted:

Blood is the easiest organic stain to get out of fabric. Little bit of hydrogen peroxide and you're back in business! Put your pins in perpendicular to the edge, not parallel, and use a ton of them (every half inch or so is good).

mirthdefect: I'm having trouble visualizing what you mean by saying the front panels are wider than the back. Do you mean, when you have drawn your new seams, they don't line up length-wise any more? Or do you mean that the front is farther around than the back is? You should not mess with that particular ratio, and you should be taking off fabric an equal amount from the front and the back at the side seams.

Oh, that's what it's called in English? Figures. I've been telling everyone I use 'oxydol' to get out blood stains. I always thought that's where they got the name 'Oxiclean' from for that one laundry detergent :saddowns:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Oh, that's what it's called in English? Figures. I've been telling everyone I use 'oxydol' to get out blood stains. I always thought that's where they got the name 'Oxiclean' from for that one laundry detergent :saddowns:

Oxiclean is a powder that breaks down into hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate (washing soda) in water.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Has anyone had a good experience buying a sewing machine on eBay? I just had a horrible experience buying one on eBay (now in dispute with seller), a gorgeous Bernina 1630 for $550 that the seller shipped 2,000 miles packed loosely in a too-big box with a tablecloth as padding :wtf: Of course it showed up super broken and is going back.
Is my only other choice finding a local shop? I don't even know.

Also, has anyone had any experience with buying serger thread on ebay? I want to do some knits, don't want to use the dollar bin stuff that breaks all the time, and also not paying $7/tube x4 would be nice.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

canyoneer posted:

Has anyone had a good experience buying a sewing machine on eBay? I just had a horrible experience buying one on eBay (now in dispute with seller), a gorgeous Bernina 1630 for $550 that the seller shipped 2,000 miles packed loosely in a too-big box with a tablecloth as padding :wtf: Of course it showed up super broken and is going back.
Is my only other choice finding a local shop? I don't even know.

Also, has anyone had any experience with buying serger thread on ebay? I want to do some knits, don't want to use the dollar bin stuff that breaks all the time, and also not paying $7/tube x4 would be nice.

I got my Singer 99 on eBay and I'm perfectly happy with it.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008
My industrial sewing machine.

It's a singer 188KI, It's a straight stitch machine, forward and reverse only.

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

Punch-drunk tears of a clone.
xx

Hana Dammit fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 16, 2017

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

First post to this thread. I'm an active crafter and mostly work with knit & crochet. I learned basic machine sewing at a young age from my mother and never really did anything with it until about a year ago. I got a machine from a deceased relative's estate and mostly make square bags when I have the need for holding something. I've also replaced an outdoor chair sling, which I was kinda proud of, and made some photo backdrops for my mini-studio.

Anyhow, I wanted to share the project I just finished: the Tactical Christmas Stocking!

Made this for a buddy of mine that runs my favorite gun range. He said he didn't want anything for Christmas, but I figure this is something he wants but just doesn't know it yet. Best part is, I made it with things I already had around the house and in my crafting supplies, so it cost me nothing but time!

Anyhow, I'm sure it looks horrible compared to some of the awesome things in this thread, but I think I did okay for basically being a hack.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
That is super cute and were I still in the military, I would have bought a zillion.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

I just cut out 546 squares and got them all laid out in a way I like.

But it turns out I still need to cut 372 more. Someone hold me.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
I just...how are you...it's huge. :stare: :hf: :stare:

And here I thought my last-minute archery glove project was work.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Pile of Kittens posted:

That pattern ...

Stunning work.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Pile of Kittens posted:

Quilting has always simultaneously awed and horrified me. Nearly 400 more pieces? :gonk:

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
I love quilting! I made my husband a duck quilt for our second winter holiday together. I just started my first one since I bought a new sewing machine. It's a double sided one modified off of this concept: http://quilting.about.com/od/ragquiltpatterns/ss/floral_ragquilt.htm

Here is the front (minus border):

Here is the back (minus border):

A close up of the front:

A close up of the back:

I'm in the midst of joining all the pieces together (a LOT of whip stitching is involved). It'll end up being about 6.5 feet x 8.5 feet in the end.

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

Punch-drunk tears of a clone.
xx

Hana Dammit fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Feb 16, 2017

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Pile of Kittens posted:

Those colors/patterns woulda looked way cool with a bargello quilt

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_LoAdRLOrePI/TKOdbW8J2II/AAAAAAAACg8/U3N1af4JopI/s1600/DSCN0285.JPG

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
The zipper on my favorite hoodie just broke today and I have to replace it. The bottom little metal piece that slipped down into the other metal piece to facilitate the zipping had been ripping a bit but today it finally came off. Anyway, I'm not really skilled at inserting zippers. In fact, I've only done it twice, neither of which were particularly professional looking, nor were they separating zippers. I'm also not good at sewing knits. But I'm ambitious and patient!

So I've looked up tutorials on it and think I can maybe try this, but I was wondering if anyone could share some tips or whatever. I assume I have to find a zipper that is exactly the same length (I haven't measured yet so I hope it's not an abnormal length) and will probably get another plastic one unless that's a bad idea. Anyway, whatever advice you guys can offer would be nice. Thanks.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
Anyone else get sewing stuff for Christmas? My mother decided to part with one of her multitude of sewing machines and give me a Janome L-392 she bought years ago. She also gave me a sewing kit, that came with like 40 spools of thread, needles, etc, a cutting mat, rotary cutter, some blades, good scissors, etc. Then she proceeded to teach me how to use the machine.

I guess my real question is, would pajama pants be a good first time project?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Anyone else get sewing stuff for Christmas? My mother decided to part with one of her multitude of sewing machines and give me a Janome L-392 she bought years ago. She also gave me a sewing kit, that came with like 40 spools of thread, needles, etc, a cutting mat, rotary cutter, some blades, good scissors, etc. Then she proceeded to teach me how to use the machine.

I guess my real question is, would pajama pants be a good first time project?

If you're a complete beginner, I'd do a tote bag first. Get you used to the absolute basics, plus it gives you something to put your stuff in if you don't have a sewing case or cabinet. Pajama pants are a good early project, though. Basic garment construction without worrying too much about fitting.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Anyone else get sewing stuff for Christmas?

Sorta. My mother decided to part with some of her sewing books.

... She learned to sew in the 70s. The pictures in this thing are incredible in both senses of the word.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Quite jealous of those dapper gentlemen. I got myself my sewing machine and such as an early Xmas gift since it was on sale on Black Friday. Just a Singer Traditional but I love it so far, mostly. I do have a problem though and hopefully someone here can shed some light on it, or maybe I should ask one of my doctors.

Pretext: I have fibromyalgia that's manifest in my back and neck, along with headaches. So when I'm doing my cutting with the rotary and mat, it doesn't take long before I start getting spasms in my mid back along my spine. This is the only thing that's ever caused these, so I'm thinking I'm screwing up somehow. Is it even possible to do it wrong? Maybe I'm hunched over too much or something?

I'm 5'5", my table is about 29" tall so I do have to bend over some when I'm working with it. I've tried moving it closer to me instead of in the middle of the table to no avail. Should I sit and reach instead? Should I just mark w/ chalk while I sit and use scissors? I dread going over to my craft table because I know 10-15 minutes into cutting things out, I'll just want to cry even with my painkillers. And sometimes it happens just sitting there sewing, but I think it's just being aggravated from the previous cutting. I guess I could finish my sewing machine cover I pieced together last week and find out. Just boggles my mind I can carry around a 17 pound pug one armed w/o much issue but something that should be so simple, isn't.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

zamiel posted:

Quite jealous of those dapper gentlemen. I got myself my sewing machine and such as an early Xmas gift since it was on sale on Black Friday. Just a Singer Traditional but I love it so far, mostly. I do have a problem though and hopefully someone here can shed some light on it, or maybe I should ask one of my doctors.

Pretext: I have fibromyalgia that's manifest in my back and neck, along with headaches. So when I'm doing my cutting with the rotary and mat, it doesn't take long before I start getting spasms in my mid back along my spine. This is the only thing that's ever caused these, so I'm thinking I'm screwing up somehow. Is it even possible to do it wrong? Maybe I'm hunched over too much or something?

I'm 5'5", my table is about 29" tall so I do have to bend over some when I'm working with it. I've tried moving it closer to me instead of in the middle of the table to no avail. Should I sit and reach instead? Should I just mark w/ chalk while I sit and use scissors? I dread going over to my craft table because I know 10-15 minutes into cutting things out, I'll just want to cry even with my painkillers. And sometimes it happens just sitting there sewing, but I think it's just being aggravated from the previous cutting. I guess I could finish my sewing machine cover I pieced together last week and find out. Just boggles my mind I can carry around a 17 pound pug one armed w/o much issue but something that should be so simple, isn't.

Is it the leaning, or the pressure required to use the rotary cutter that's causing problems. I'm on the smaller side (5'2") so I cut sitting on the floor with the mat on hardwood (I also mix batter and knead bread like this because I am a literal child) so that I can sit up straight with more physical leverage (instead of using muscles in my arms/shoulders/back) going into the rotary cutter. You could maybe sit on a cushion on the hard floor? I don't know if that helps at all.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
Can anyone recommend some good online resources for someone interested it making a first quilt? I'm comfortable sewing clothing and little projects like purses and catbeds, but I'd like some guidance before I tackle a project this big. My ultimate goal, which I'm sure will take a lot of smaller tries first, is to make a queen sized string quilt. I'm not really interested in making squares, unless that is a required learning foundation kind of thing. Guidance on fabric choice would be great too.

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!

Asstro Van posted:

Can anyone recommend some good online resources for someone interested it making a first quilt? I'm comfortable sewing clothing and little projects like purses and catbeds, but I'd like some guidance before I tackle a project this big. My ultimate goal, which I'm sure will take a lot of smaller tries first, is to make a queen sized string quilt. I'm not really interested in making squares, unless that is a required learning foundation kind of thing. Guidance on fabric choice would be great too.

Honestly, if you have any sewing background, you can quilt. I did my first quilt in 2009 (for my boyfriend, now husband, who loves ducks), which took about 6 months most of which was cutting things out and reinforcement sewing.

The internet (as usual) is my best resource for learning new techniques but you have to search for it, because there are good things everywhere, I don't know a main resource (or at least don't personally use one strictly for quilting). A quick google showed me this site for learning how to do a string quilt: http://quiltville.com/stringquiltingprimer.shtml. About.com also has a nice section for different types of quilts and how to make them (http://quilting.about.com/). That's how I found my current double sided quilt I am making.

For a string quilt, I would ask around for other sewing friends to see if they have any remnants. I would also check out JoAnn's or Hancock fabrics and their remnant section. There are stores that specialize in quilting fabrics (mostly using Moda brand fabric), it's usually a little bit pricier, but the quality is really good. That duck quilt, which uses nicer fabric from a quilting store, is my husband and my main bedspread and it is holding up really well, and not fading even though it sits right next to our bedroom window. If you do buy quilt shop fabric, check and see if they have a discount club or something, you can end up getting back 10 - 20% of your purchase over the year or something close to that. The most important thing is making sure you're doing the math right to have enough fabric to do your whole quilt. You have to calculate the size of your strips, and how much you want of your various fabrics. If you have a walking foot with a quilting guide (like the silver bar in this image http://www.pfaffusa.com/4211_3467.html) that will help when it comes time to quilt your quilt top, batting, and backing together, unless you want to freehand it, or just eyeball it.

Another thing some people can forget (but as someone who sews, you probably already know), is that quilt != comforter. Usually quilts use a quilt batting, which can be pretty thin. I just buy that from Hancock (or another chain fabric/hobby store).

I hope that helps. Post progress! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

zamiel posted:

I'm 5'5", my table is about 29" tall so I do have to bend over some when I'm working with it. I've tried moving it closer to me instead of in the middle of the table to no avail.

You'll have to experiment with what works for you, but a higher surface makes a really big difference in back issues for a lot of people, to the point that OSHA mandates raised cutting surfaces (http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/sewing/scissorwork.html). Cutting on the floor is a slight improvement, but only slightly. Get kneepads if you decide this is the best way for you.