Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Alternate title: gently caress DeKnight for Losing Interest in This Show

Premieres January 25th, 2013

What's this about?

Spartacus is a graphic action/drama series set against the backdrop of the Third Servile War, a major slave uprising against the Roman Republic from 73-71 BC. It airs Friday evenings on Starz, with Season 3 being 10 episodes long. Spartacus and several other former gladiators lead a large rebellion against Rome, who is forced to dispatch its military against the slaves. The style of the show is 300 crossed with Gladiator, as large-scale studio green screen work provides the background for all locations giving it a sometimes hyper-reality look. Also the backstabbing, murder and flowery dialogue all give it a theatrical bent. The show is over the top in its action, with violent deaths and dismemberments each episode. It is helped by a strong cast, including the delicious scene chewer John Hannah as Batiatus in the first season. Season 1 (known as Blood and Sand) built fans over the course of the season, as the violence, sex and scheming plots all came together in a glorious bloody finale.

The hype was high as the wait for Season 2 began; unfortunately word came that series title star Andy Whitfield was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma cancer. As Andy went in for treatment, the producers went ahead with a six-episode prequel (known as Gods of the Arena) with the hope Andy could return to the show the following year. Unfortunately, Andy's cancer returned and he left the show to focus on winning his new battle. With his blessing, the show recast the role of Spartacus, going to Liam McIntyre. As Season 2 began filming, we sadly learned Andy Whitfield lost his battle with cancer. Season 2 finally aired, and Liam was able to take over the title role comfortably as the season progressed. The season killed off several lead characters and brought to a close many story arcs.

As the run up for Season 3 began, we learned that it would sadly be the last season for the show. Steven DeKnight the head writer and executive producer felt there was nowhere else to go with the story, so we will get a time jump to the end of the Third Servile War and the final ride for the characters we've grown to love.

New Viewer Watch Order

To begin, new viewers should start with season 1 Blood and Sand first before moving on to the prequel Gods of the Arena, as the opening of Gods of the Arena spoils the ending of season 1. For that reason it is probably better to think of Gods of the Arena as an extended flashback rather than a prequel. It is required viewing and should not be skipped, as it was originally planned to be used for flashbacks in season 2. It sets up several characters and plot elements which return for the next full season. Next watch season 2 Vengeance and finally season 3 War of the Damned.

Previously on Spartacus

Vengeance aka Season 2 aka I'm leaving out a lot of plotting and backstabbing in this summary

After escaping from the ludus, Spartacus and his crew have hidden themselves within the city sewers. Spartacus still seeks vengeance against Glaber, the man who condemned him to slavery. Meanwhile Crixus seeks to locate Naevia and free her from captivity. Glaber is dispatched from Rome to stamp out the uprising and takes residence in the ludus, there he finds the severely wounded Lucretia. Lucretia is nursed back to health and forms an uneasy alliance with the now pregnant Ilithyia. Lucretia proclaims herself an oracle and uses intelligence from the still loyal Ashur to help regain her power in the city. As the slave army marches south, they free more slaves on the way to save Naevia from imprisonment. They set up camp at Mt Vesuvius and then split their forces, with Crixus leading a group to free Naevia from a Roman mine. Ashur learns of the plan after capturing Oenomaus and leaves for the mines to confront them. Crixus manages to free Naevia, but is himself captured in the process. Seeking to gain further favor, Glaber directs Oenomaus and Crixus to find execution in the arena. As the duo take the sands, they find former freed Batiatus gladiator Gannicus has returned to meet them in battle. Spartacus and a small band infiltrate the arena and set fire to its foundations, causing it to go up in flames. As chaos reigns, Spartacus frees his comrades as the arena finally falls to ruin.

With Crixus and Oenomaus freed, Gannicus doubts the slave army will succeed. Crixus begins training Naevia in battle and the other slaves begin training as well. Ashur gains favor with Glaber and forms a deadly rogues gallery of his own full of assassins and killers. He then uses his new power to rape and control Lucretia for his own selfish needs. Gannicus returns to the city but is then shaken when he sees how cruelly the Roman army executes those who dare speak of Spartacus in a positive fashion. He kidnaps Ilithyia and then presents her to Spartacus as a gift. Ilithyia reveals that Spartacus is actually the father of her unborn child. Spartacus spares her and decides to trade her life for weapons. Glaber meets for the trade, but then Ashur and his men spring their trap and attack, revealing Glaber had no intention of truly saving his wife. Spartacus and his men flee and he later frees Ilithyia, revealing that Glaber had no intention of saving her. Lucretia learns that Glaber plans to grant Ashur freedom, the ludus and approval for marrying Lucretia for his loyalty. The Romans learn of the rebels location via Ilithyia and march on their temple hideout. As the temple is attacked by the Roman army, Oenomaus is injured and the slaves are forced to retreat up the nearby volcano Vesuvius.

Lucretia and Ilithyia travel to the stalemated battle and Lucretia plots to frame Ashur as working against Glaber. Ashur's men are turned against him when Glaber pays them off, and he's captured by the slave army. Crixus seeks the man's execution, but Spartacus suggests Naevia find her vengeance against him. She disarms Ashur, then kills him. Lucretia and Ilithyia return to the village and Ilithyia goes into labor. Spartacus and the rebels secretly descend the volcano to attack the Romans, and begin battle. At the villa, Lucretia cuts the unborn baby from Ilithyia, seeing it as a replacement for her own lost child. She then jumps from the nearby cliff, killing her and the child as the mortally injured Ilithyia watches in horror. Ilithyia then dies from her wounds as well. Oenomaus and Gannicus do battle with Ashur's men and Oenomaus is gravely wounded, eventually dying in his friend's arms having made peace with their past issues. The tide of the battle begins to turn and Spartacus faces Glaber in battle, and kills him by shoving his sword down the man's throat. With the Romans routed, the slaves seek to free more of their kind, knowing they've now fully got the attention of Rome.

Now on Spartacus
Gaius Claudius Glaber is dead. The rebellion has swelled to thousands of freed slaves, and Spartacus, alongside his generals Crixus, Gannicus and Agron, prepares for war with Rome. The Roman Senate turns to Marcus Crassus, a wealthy, strategic politician, for aid. With a young Julius Caesar as an ally, Crassus must crush the rebellion.

The Rebels:

Spartacus played by Liam McIntyre - A Thracian warrior forced into slavery, Spartacus became the gladiator known as the Bringer of Rain. After losing his wife Sura and thirsty for vengeance, he led the gladiators in an uprising to escape the ludus and would eventually defeat the legions of Gaius Claudius Glaber and slayed the Roman praetor. Now, Spartacus has amassed an army in the thousands. He knows he is not only responsible for the lives of every man, woman, and child in his rebellion but also for continuing to inspire them to fight for freedom from oppression and stand up against the mighty Roman Republic.

Crixus played by Manu Bennett - Once the Champion of Capua, and rival to Spartacus, he has since become one of the rebel leader’s most trusted generals. With Spartacus’ aid, he rescued Naevia from the mines, almost sacrificing his own life in the process. After an emotional reunion, he trained Naevia to fight like a gladiator and then watched as she took her revenge on Ashur. Now, Crixus has a mind focused on war, and the defeat of the Roman Republic with Naevia at his side.

Gannicus played by Dustin Clare - Long before Spartacus was forced to become a gladiator, Gannicus, a gifted fighter, was one of the few who earned his freedom in the arena. After wandering free he was brought back to the games to face Crixus and his former brothers in combat but he chose to assist in their escape instead. After heavy persuasion to join the rebellion, Gannicus finally acquiesced when it became clear that Spartacus’ hope of freedom for all was genuine. Although highly respected, he shuns authority in favor of wine and women.

Agron played by Dan Feuerriegel - One of three generals in the rebellion, Agron is a hot-tempered warrior who is fiercely loyal to Spartacus and the cause. Still enraged by the death of his brother Duro, who was slaughtered in the escape from Batiatus’ ludus, he continues seeking blind vengeance at every opportunity. Often, his anger is directed toward Crixus, but despite their differences the two are united in the cause. Agron was also instrumental in overthrowing Glaber’s forces at the Battle of Vesuvius. Now, as Spartacus’ right hand man, he is responsible for his leader’s safety while fighting for the cause.

Naevia played by Cynthia Addai-Robinson - A former body slave to Lucretia, Naevia was banished from the ludus after engaging in a love affair with Crixus. She is sent to the salt mines but later freed by Crixus. Naevia asks Crixus to train her as a fighter. She uses these skills to satiate her thirst for vengeance by cleaving Ashur’s head from his body.

Nasir played by Pana Hema-Taylor - A young Syrian body slave freed by Spartacus, Nasir had a life of position and respect in his master’s villa. He lost that when he was given his freedom, and he resented Spartacus for it. After a failed assassination attempt on Spartacus, Nasir realizes that he is in the presence of a man who really does want justice, and begins to train as a warrior. He receives instruction from Spartacus himself, and counsel from Agron, who becomes more than just a trusted friend. Over time, Nasir engages in an intimate relationship with Agron, and also proves his worth as a skilled fighter.

Saxa played by Ellen Hollman - One of a group of Germanic prisoners rescued from a slave ship, Saxa is as brash and just as violent as any man in the rebellion. An aggressive fighter, her skill with twin daggers made her a natural choice for Nemetes’ attack force on the Roman vanguard, which ultimately failed and led to the death of her closest friend Mira. When not embroiled in the fighting, she shares her passion for life alongside Gannicus, who she sees as her equal.

Rome:

Craxus played by Simon Merrells - The wealthiest man in Rome, Marcus Crassus is the last hope the Roman Senate has to defeat the rebellion. He amassed his extraordinary wealth through a series of shrewd business decisions but the honor of military success has always eluded him. Now, Crassus has opportunity to gain that recognition using all means at his disposal to defeat Spartacus. Unlike his predecessors, Crassus will not underestimate this “mere slave;” the man has defeated countless Roman armies, and will do so again if not matched in brains as well as brawn.

Caesar played by Todd Lasance - With a noble lineage sired from Venus herself, and Romulus, the exalted founder of Rome, it was his birthright to rule... and he knows it. Arrogant and intelligent, but with fighting skills to rival those of a gladiator, Caesar is never one to be underestimated. Yet despite his heritage, and his formidable skills as both warrior, tactician, and commander of legions, he lacks the wealth to see his ambitions play out; wealth that Marcus Crassus has in abundance. And so, seeing opportunity for both to advance within Rome, they join forces to bring down the slave army.

Tiberius played by Christian Antidormi - The eldest son of Marcus Crassus, Tiberius wants nothing more than to prove himself to his father. Trained in various skills by his father, he believes his status as a Roman proves his worth over the growing slave army. Seeing an opportunity to lead, he presses hard for a position of leadership in Crassus’ army.

Laeta played by Anna Hutchison - Wife of the aedile of Sinuessa en Valle, Laeta has only known life as a privileged Roman elite. When the slave army turns their eye towards Sinuessa en Valle, she is forced to rise above her past and shed her selfishness when her people look to her for leadership.

The Dead:
Gone but not forgotten. :black101:

Trying hard to forget. :gonk:

Things of Interest:

Official Starz Site - Additional cast bios and behind the scenes videos.
The Spartacus War - Good book which takes the historical accounts we have of the revolt, along with known Italian geography and other events of the time to write a new take on the Third Servile War. For those wondering what was skipped over and what else went on during this time, this is a good read.

Also there is a chance we might get a Caesar spin off show due to the performance of Todd Lasance and the interest of the producers. However they've also auctioned a lot of their props off from Spartacus recently, which makes me wonder if that plan fell apart.

Alert for posting in this thread about the historical record:

Please put all death and event specifics behind spoiler tags. Everyone from that time is now dead obviously, but there's no need to say what form their death took.

Teek fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I still miss Batiatus and Lucretia and they shall not be forgotten! :hist101:

OhSnapGangsta
Jun 24, 2006

All the arms we need are for hugging
Still not feeling the new Naevia.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
So freakin pumped. Gonna be such a great season of TV.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Did realize it was Crixus with that beard! So can't wait!

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Nasir's :shobon: face amongst all the :black101: in the poster is hilarious.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Does anyone know WHY this show got cancelled? I thought the ratings went up quite a bit from S1 to S1.5 to S2.

I'm happy the show is coming back, it's seriously one of the greatest shows on television, but I'm still confused as to why this is going to be the last season. :smith:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Women's Rights? posted:

Does anyone know WHY this show got cancelled? I thought the ratings went up quite a bit from S1 to S1.5 to S2.

I'm happy the show is coming back, it's seriously one of the greatest shows on television, but I'm still confused as to why this is going to be the last season. :smith:

They decided to end it on a high note. During the second season they already condensed years and it sort of would get redundent with Spartacus outsmarting general after general. They just decided to go to the big guy.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Young Caesar is going to own bones. Can't wait.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

The war itself lasted about 2 years. They'll apparently be skipping about a year of time. DeKnight seemed to think there wasn't any story to mine there, but that just strikes me as lacking interest in keeping it going more than anything, as he already had several other projects in the pipeline that seem to be taking his attention. What covers this season could easily have been handled in 2 or 3.

I'm obviously still bitter about it and holding out hope the Caesar spin off happens.

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009
:black101::black101::black101::black101:

BETTER TO GO OUT IN A BLAZE OF GLORY

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Teek posted:

DeKnight seemed to think there wasn't any story to mine there, but that just strikes me as lacking interest in keeping it going more than anything, as he already had several other projects in the pipeline that seem to be taking his attention.

Booooooooo.

I certainly wouldn't mind watching Spartacus go back and forth with Ceasar for at least two seasons. Besides who cares how long the actual rebellion took, it's not like Spartacus is renowned for its historical accuracy or anything - it's a good show and the characters are amazing to hang out with for an hour a week, let the show take its time.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure they will make another show where attractive people are frequently loving and/or fighting

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I heard the thought was that most of the war was Spartacus beating different generals and armies before the rebellion was finally beaten by Marcus Crassus, so having more seasons would just be 'Spartacus beats Roman army, Spartacus beats slightly different Roman army, etc.' until Crassus showed up, with little drama to it. So they just decided to skip to Crassus.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
I like shows that end on a strong note instead of dragging things out till it becomes awful.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

BreakAtmo posted:

I heard the thought was that most of the war was Spartacus beating different generals and armies before the rebellion was finally beaten by Marcus Crassus, so having more seasons would just be 'Spartacus beats Roman army, Spartacus beats slightly different Roman army, etc.' until Crassus showed up, with little drama to it. So they just decided to skip to Crassus.
That is very much the case, but there were set pieces and places they traveled around Italy which could have been explored in those times. That and they're cramming a couple of seasons of potential material into one final season to get it over with. That could make for one action packed season, but it's just a shame that it's skimming the high points so much when those could have easily sustained whole season arcs. In any case, still looking forward to seeing how everything plays out.

Teek fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 8, 2013

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Thomase posted:

BETTER TO GO OUT IN BLAZE OF GLORY

Fixed that for you.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I hope Saxa gets a bigger role, she's cool.

Having Caesar involved in this already shows things aren't going to be 100% historically accurate (I think) so I like to think there's going to be a few surprises yet. I hope that's the case. If this show goes completely off the rails I'll love it all the more for that.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Now cracks a noble heart. Good night sweet prince:
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

DS at Night posted:

Having Caesar involved in this already shows things aren't going to be 100% historically accurate (I think) so I like to think there's going to be a few surprises yet. I hope that's the case. If this show goes completely off the rails I'll love it all the more for that.

Caesar was in the army by this time and there are some some Casesar worthy moments of his that happened just before the war. Nothing historical states he participated in the war itself, but the connections are there to draw him in. His being a cocky SOB in this fits right in with a tale of him from right before the war, spoilered in case they move it into this season:

In 75, Julius Caesar was captured by Cilician pirates, who infested the Mediterranean sea. The Romans had never sent a navy against them, because the pirates offered the Roman senators slaves, which they needed for their plantations in Italy. As a consequence, piracy was common. In chapter 2 of his Life of Julius Caesar, the Greek author Plutarch of Chaeronea (46-c.120) describes what happened when Caesar encountered the pirates:

First, when the pirates demanded a ransom of twenty talents, Caesar burst out laughing. They did not know, he said, who it was that they had captured, and he volunteered to pay fifty. Then, when he had sent his followers to the various cities in order to raise the money and was left with one friend and two servants among these Cilicians, about the most bloodthirsty people in the world, he treated them so highhandedly that, whenever he wanted to sleep, he would send to them and tell them to stop talking. For thirty-eight days, with the greatest unconcern, he joined in all their games and exercises, just as if he was their leader instead of their prisoner. He also wrote poems and speeches which he read aloud to them, and if they failed to admire his work, he would call them to their faces illiterate savages, and would often laughingly threaten to have them all hanged. They were much taken with this and attributed his freedom of speech to a kind of simplicity in his character or boyish playfulness.

However, the ransom arrived from Miletus and, as soon as he had paid it and been set free, he immediately manned some ships and set sail from the harbor of Miletus against the pirates. He found them still there, lying at anchor off the island, and he captured nearly all of them. He took their property as spoils of war and put the men themselves into the prison at Pergamon. He then went in person to [Marcus] Junius, the governor of Asia, thinking it proper that he, as praetor in charge of the province, should see to the punishment of the prisoners. Junius, however, cast longing eyes at the money, which came to a considerable sum, and kept saying that he needed time to look into the case. Caesar paid no further attention to him. He went to Pergamon, took the pirates out of prison and crucified the lot of them, just as he had often told them he would do when he was on the island and they imagined that he was joking.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Irish Joe posted:

Now cracks a noble heart. Good night sweet prince:
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!

Seriously Epic Rape Face guy should be in the OP as the forgotten.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Starz had some neat preview shorts back in December:

Looks like another season of extra amazing fight choreography:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtSj6t3GLMA

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

the posted:

Seriously Epic Rape Face guy should be in the OP as the forgotten.

Just for you I added Cossutius.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Teek posted:

Caesar was in the army by this time and there are some some Casesar worthy moments of his that happened just before the war. Nothing historical states he participated in the war itself, but the connections are there to draw him in. (snip)

Right... I was half-remembering that having happened and took that to mean he was too busy to get any uprising-quelling done at the time. But this is a war, those tend to last a while and get people's attention. I guess we won't know until we watch :allears:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Is Pompey in this season or are they just ignoring him? I do not see how they could since this helps set up him becoming a consul of rome?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Is Pompey in this season or are they just ignoring him? I do not see how they could since this helps set up him becoming a consul of rome?

He only shows up after Spartacus is likely already dead.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Alchenar posted:

He only shows up after Spartacus is likely already dead.

Oh ya but I was thinking if they were giving Caesar a bigger role they might do him as well, and if they wanted to have a spin off with Caesar he is important.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
You can write him as an important off-screen presence easily enough.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

He spends this entire period fighting in Spain so it would be a bit difficult.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Alchenar posted:

He spends this entire period fighting in Spain so it would be a bit difficult.

I was just wondering if they will be having him in the final episode coming in and claiming victory. Sort of forshadowing that Crassus is not going to get the gold that he thinks he deserves.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

RIP Varro RIP Rapeface!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Teek posted:

hope the Caesar spin off happens.
I know we already have HBO's Rome, but I do want to see a Sparatcus-like interpretation of Caesar's story. At least maybe his assassination will be in super slo-mo and bloody.

DrinkMoreBeer
Jan 23, 2006

by toby
So Ashur isn't dead, right? He'll magically come back this season eating his seeds and being awesome. Right? :ohdear:

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

DrinkMoreBeer posted:

So Ashur isn't dead, right? He'll magically come back this season eating his seeds and being awesome. Right? :ohdear:

Also, Batiatus isn't dead, he's just been scheming his way to the Senate.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Holy cow cannot loving wait for this to return! Sad it is almost over!! ;
:(

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Kilson posted:

Also, Batiatus isn't dead, he's just been scheming his way to the Senate.
Actually if they do pull of the Caesar spinoff I would love to see John Hannah as some scene chewing senator.

nixar55
Jul 25, 2003

She packed my bags last night. Pre-flight. Zero hour nine a.m. And I'm gonna be high as a kite by then.
Just re-watched Blood and Sand, debating if I have time for Gods of the Arena or if I should go right into season 2 ahead of the new season, since it starts so soon. I'm really going to miss this show when it's gone. There's nothing like it on TV.

Eh, probably will watch Gods of the Arena because Gannicus is the loving best. I admit to still not feeling Liam McIntyre and definitely disliking the new and derpier-looking Naevia. So, I watch for Gannicus.

Also everyone else cool is pretty much dead by this point. Crixis is still a good character, but Agron and Nasir are the cuter couple. DeKnight will probably kill Nasir in the most sadistic way possible.

I'd be all for any spin-off show in this universe, in this time period. I can't see DeKnight's new space opera, Incursion, having the same amount of decadence and sheer balls-out comic book lunacy. Space seems so... sterile in comparison.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Sober posted:

Actually if they do pull of the Caesar spinoff I would love to see John Hannah as some scene chewing senator.

John Hannah as Cicero? Sign me up.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

It'd be crazy if they just recycled some of the Spartacus actors and had them play either Legates or senators or whatever for a Caesar spinoff. Who would Rapeface be? (Other than a descendent of the original Rapeface? :smug:)

If they did a Vorenus-Pullo straight up rip off, I wonder who they would cast for it (assuming different names, same-ish dynamic), because I think I'd love to see that level of violence but cranked to DeKnight's Spartacus levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Simstim posted:

I like shows that end on a strong note instead of dragging things out till it becomes awful.

Yeah. It does suck that this will be the last season but at least we aren't going to end up hating the show.

Really looking forward to this! I just hope it won't be all doom and gloom.

• Locked thread