Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

wargamerROB posted:

This is only my second batch, so apologies if this is totally normal for beer. I brewed the white house honey ale yesterday and 8 hours after I pitched the yeast it was already fermenting pretty actively. This morning there the glass I'm using for a blow off assembly was almost full to the brim; a bunch of liquid had been forced out of the carboy by the escaping guess I gas. My first beer only ever had gas come out of the tube. Is it normal for some liquid to get pushed out during the start of fermentation?
That's why its called a "blow off" tube ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

wargamerROB posted:

This is only my second batch, so apologies if this is totally normal for beer. I brewed the white house honey ale yesterday and 8 hours after I pitched the yeast it was already fermenting pretty actively. This morning there the glass I'm using for a blow off assembly was almost full to the brim; a bunch of liquid had been forced out of the carboy by the escaping guess I gas. My first beer only ever had gas come out of the tube. Is it normal for some liquid to get pushed out during the start of fermentation?

Yeah, it's normal if you've got a vigorous ferment and/or not huge amounts of headspace in the fermenter.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

digitalhifi posted:

It's me. Glad you enjoyed them.

:words:

Many thanks, and keep up the great work.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Am I correct to assume that if I use my fridge as a temperature control for fermentation that by keeping the temperatures on the low end and slowly raising to desired temperatures that it will avoid any potential of a super vigorous fermentation?

Also, I recently had a Belgian beer by a brewery called River Horse. It was a total banana bomb. Is there any other way for the beer to become a banana liquor flavored beer without fermenting at too high of temperatures? I'm assuming it was the yeast fermenting too high causing the esters which made this taste like banana.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Pitch 2-4*F below your intended fermentation temp and it'll slowly ramp up and your fermentation will be great as long as all your other factors are right (yeast health, pitch rate, aeration, etc).

Some yeasts throw a lot of banana, so they didn't necessarily ferment too high. Generally speaking though higher fermentation temps will give you more banana.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

wargamerROB posted:

The batch I brewed on Jan. 2 had first-order and second-order blowoff; that is, it made a mess when it blew the airlock off the carboy, and then after I rigged a blowoff tube, it made a mess when it blew crap out of the half-gallon growler I was using as a catch jar.

Blowoff is completely normal. I get it mostly on bigger beers, but it can happen anytime you have a vigorous ferment or limited headspace. Some yeasts (Wyeast 1007 German Ale) and some ingredients (wheat) seem to contribute to the phenomenon. There's a video somewhere of Bigfoot fermenting at Sierra Nevada - it shows kraeusen cresting the wall of the coolship and just pouring onto the floor in sheets.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
n/m

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Anyone ever use a heating pad as a ghetto way of heating up a bucket/carboy? Need to get my bucket up 6-8 degrees to finish up and am wondering if that would put out enough heat.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Anyone ever use a heating pad as a ghetto way of heating up a bucket/carboy? Need to get my bucket up 6-8 degrees to finish up and am wondering if that would put out enough heat.

Yeah I've done this and it works fine.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Sirotan posted:

I would be worried that it would scorch the bottom or possibly kill the yeast. I've seen lots of cheap carboy warmers though, they're designed to keep the carboys/buckets around 70*F. Something like this should work.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

That basically is just a heating pad, with the added nicety that it surrounds the whole thing I guess. I just duct taped my heating pad to one side.

I also gave myself a safety net by plugging it into the temp controller I normally use for my keezer. You just move one wire and then it will shut off power when the probe gets too hot instead of when it's not hot enough. That way I wouldn't forget to check on it one day and have it race off to 90 degrees.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
If you get a cheap heating pad just make sure it doesn't have an auto-cutoff feature. I got a cheap one from walmart last year and it doesn't run for more than an hour or so before it cuts off.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Awesome, thanks guys. Knowing this will probably make me check my blowoffs and avoid a giant flooded mess at some point in the future.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I'm in the process of building a keezer.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Midorka posted:

Am I correct to assume that if I use my fridge as a temperature control for fermentation that by keeping the temperatures on the low end and slowly raising to desired temperatures that it will avoid any potential of a super vigorous fermentation?

Also, I recently had a Belgian beer by a brewery called River Horse. It was a total banana bomb. Is there any other way for the beer to become a banana liquor flavored beer without fermenting at too high of temperatures? I'm assuming it was the yeast fermenting too high causing the esters which made this taste like banana.

Some yeast/OGs will result in blowoff no matter what precautions you may take with temperature control and fermcap, but you're definitely right that good temp control will keep the yeast from really spinning out of control.

Banana flavors to some extent are expected from most Belgian "abbey/trappist" yeast, it's a part of the character of those beers. However if a brewery is putting out a "banana bomb" of a beer they probably could stand to tweak their fermentation temps or even yeast choice to get a bit more balance/subtlety... not that there's anything categorically wrong with a beer that is intensely banana.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I guess my palate has become super sensitive to the banana or something. I am starting to absolutely hate banana in most beers because it comes off as artificial and cloying. Then again the River Horse beer in question tastes like banana Laffy Taffy's melted down with a touch of cloves and alcohol.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Rhizome sale now at MoreBeer! I picked up a Cascade, Centennial, and a Hallertaur to add to my 5 year old Brewer's Gold Rhizome. I am going to be cranking some hops out in the coming years!

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

ScaerCroe posted:

Rhizome sale now at MoreBeer! I picked up a Cascade, Centennial, and a Hallertaur to add to my 5 year old Brewer's Gold Rhizome. I am going to be cranking some hops out in the coming years!

Thanks, just snagged some Centennial, Hallertau, and Willamette. How many years does it take before I get hops worthy of brewing?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

internet celebrity posted:

Thanks, just snagged some Centennial, Hallertau, and Willamette. How many years does it take before I get hops worthy of brewing?

I got a lovely pot-bound Cascade plant late in the season last year and grew it in a bucket and got at least an ounce or two of hops out of it. Do it right and I'm sure you'll get something this year.

Washington doesn't allow importing rhizomes so I have to stick to state stores. Does anyone have recommendations for suppliers in Washington?

e: HopsDirect is based in WA but has no rhizomes listed on their site yet. I used their contact form to ask about 2013 rhizomes.

Cpt.Wacky fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 7, 2013

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Midorka posted:

I guess my palate has become super sensitive to the banana or something. I am starting to absolutely hate banana in most beers because it comes off as artificial and cloying. Then again the River Horse beer in question tastes like banana Laffy Taffy's melted down with a touch of cloves and alcohol.
Not that unusual, really. I generally dislike German Hefeweizen too.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

internet celebrity posted:

My Brewer's gold produced about an ounce its first year. On it's third year, it produced 2.5 pounds. Most commercial growers say they are fully mature at 2-3 years. If you fertilize and water them, they will produce more hops.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.
Has anyone had much luck growing them in buckets? I'll be moving in June and would like to be able at least start it in a bucket if I can.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Cointelprofessional posted:

Has anyone had much luck growing them in buckets? I'll be moving in June and would like to be able at least start it in a bucket if I can.

It can be done but you have to be on top of watering and fertilizing since containers dry out faster and there isn't as much soil to provide nutrients.

Monte Blood Bank
Dec 1, 2005

and we are faceless
you cannot attack us

take the money and then
run
Going to brew an all grain stout this weekend, would appreciate suggestions. Thinking of going with this left hand milk stout clone:

7 lbs 2 row
1 lb roasted barley
. 75 lbs caramel malt 60L
.75 lbs chocolate malt
. 75 lbs Munich malt
. 75 lbs flaked barley
. 5 lbs flaked oats
. 35 oz Magnum 60 min
1.00 Kent goldings 10 min
1 lb lactose
Safale s-05

Single infusion mash, 14.20 qts of water at 162 to get to 151

Thoughts? Opinions on better recipes i could be doing?

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

YASD posted:

Going to brew an all grain stout this weekend, would appreciate suggestions. Thinking of going with this left hand milk stout clone:

7 lbs 2 row
1 lb roasted barley
. 75 lbs caramel malt 60L
.75 lbs chocolate malt
. 75 lbs Munich malt
. 75 lbs flaked barley
. 5 lbs flaked oats
. 35 oz Magnum 60 min
1.00 Kent goldings 10 min
1 lb lactose
Safale s-05

Single infusion mash, 14.20 qts of water at 162 to get to 151

Thoughts? Opinions on better recipes i could be doing?

Your recipe reminded me of this which is a Yeti clone:
http://www.byo.com/stories/article/indices/25-cloning/1486-tasting-double

15.25 lbs (6.9 kg) American 2-row malt
1.0 lb (0.45 kg) crystal malt (120 °L)
12 oz. (0.34 kg) chocolate malt
12 oz. (0.34 kg) black patent malt
10 oz. (0.28 kg) roasted barley
8.0 oz. (0.23 kg) flaked wheat
8.0 oz. (0.23 kg) flaked rye
14.3 AAU Chinook hops (60 min) (1.1 oz./31 g of 13% alpha acids)
7.2 AAU Chinook hops (30 min) (0.55 oz./16 g of 13% alpha acids)
5.3 AAU Centennial hops (15 min) (0.50 oz./14 g of 10.5% alpha acids)
0.5 oz. (14 g) Centennial hops (5 min)
Wyeast 1056

I did a split batch and put half on coffee and the other half with oak. So far, the coffee portion tastes wonderful.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Anybody ever order (or pickup on site) hop plants from High Hops?
Wondering what their prices are normally like and when they might start taking orders?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
1. Mashing for the first time with a bazooka tube. Thanks for the pro-tip I'll never look back.

2. A while back I made a stupid argument that IPAs age well and I was basing that off of things like 120 and I was totally wrong re: hop flavor and presence and just wanted to officially apologize.

3. Need mead guidance. Too dry, killing the yeast with campden and adding more honey, but still want to bottle carbonated. What's the best way to do this?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

fullroundaction posted:

3. Need mead guidance. Too dry, killing the yeast with campden and adding more honey, but still want to bottle carbonated. What's the best way to do this?

Keg, force carb, fill under counterpressure.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

fullroundaction posted:

Or if you don't have a keg, wine conditionerinvert sugar and priming sugar.

edit: looks like wine conditioner has potassium sorbate so it might kill your yeast.

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 8, 2013

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Explain to me why invert sugar and priming would work if I already campden'd the yeast. (And no I don't have any kegging equipment :()

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Sadly, it wouldn't, unless you pitched additional yeast, in which case the backsweetening you added would also become food.

You could also ferment it out again, then add both some unfermentable backsweetening, such as sucralose, together with your regular priming sugar.

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

I just got done with disassembling, cleaning and starting to soak 8 corny kegs and now I'm much more determined to actually do some research on keg/carboy/line cleaners.

Any of you screwed around with making one? The general idea is a vessel with a submersible pump in it, a couple gallons of cleaner and the kegs/carboys can sit over a spike with a sprayball (or something that's effectively a sprayball) and the solution just recirculates. For kegs you usually can throw on two QD's to attach to the in/out lines as well.

A couple barbs to attach lines and recirculate PBW through them would be useful too.

This is a pretty good picture of what looks like a well designed one. Attach the disconnects and flip it upside down and let it recirculate.

I would want a drain port so I can set it next to my utility sink and drain out the solution to replenish every few kegs, shutoffs on the spike, keg lines and then another line with a shutoff to a hose barb to clean out siphon tubing and the like. Possibly also a port and shutoff to effectively disconnect the pump and then force fresh water through the same lines and then I can just leave the drain open and rinse the whole keg too.

I did one out of copper a while back using an amazon sump pump that has a spike, two corny outlets and a "utility" barb with a ball valve. I used a rubber reducer fitting from the plumbing department of the hardware store to put the kegs/carboys/buckets on. It works well for cornies and carboys and not horribly for buckets either if you put a cinder block on top so it doesn't blow the bucket off the cleaner. I did not have stellar results with quarter slim sankes used as primary fermenters, it would usually miss some of the krausen. You need to rinse the gunk at the bottom so it doesn't recirculate and occasionally change the water. I generally do one pass with PBW, two clear water rinses through the recirculation, then a quick rinse with the hose before sanitizing. Unless you're doing 4+ kegs at a sitting it probably isn't worth it. I tend to clean my kegs one or two at a time as they kick so it doesn't get much use. Overall I'd give it a B since it does its job but is kind of a pain in the rear end. If I was to have a utility sink I would probably modify it to be used in there instead of the bucket, I think the advantage of a larger reservoir of cleaning fluid would make it better.

I give my Sanke CIP method a F. I looked at a few commercial keg washers that don't require removing the spear and figured "hey, i can do that". I took a tap, removed the check valves, put the biggest barbs I could find on, and hooked it up to my cleaning pump with hot water and PBW. With the kegs upside down water would go in the tap, up the spear, hit the bottom, and exit out the gas in. It worked pretty well with the garden hose to purge most of the yeast and primary fermentation residue but even recirculating for hours it couldn't get the krausen ring. The exit is too restrictive even with a big barb. I suspect that the taps used on cleaning machines, contrary to what you read, are modified for higher flow.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
My first beer ever was a raging success (an extract porter kit with a pack of beverage grade vanilla), and am currently fermenting out an all grain pumpkin dubbel from the Brooklyn Brew Shop book. It smells like heaven.

I think if this turns out well, I'm going to just do all grain all the time.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Anyone have a proven session Amber ale recipe? I brewed a Flanders Red last weekend and I'm still out of homebrew so I need a recipe with a fast turnaround.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I was asked to brew a keg for a fishing trip. Me and my father in law are serious beer drinkers, everyone else there (I think) is more the bud light type. I'd like to give them an accessible beer that is still good. I threw together this amber recipe this morning: want a nice red color and a good balance.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Amber Ale

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Amber Ale
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 5.85%
IBU (tinseth): 36.74
SRM (daniels): 16.53

FERMENTABLES:
8 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (64%)
2 lb - American - Vienna (16%)
0.5 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (4%)
2 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 90L (16%)

HOPS:
1 oz - cluster for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 7, IBU: 28.68)
0.5 oz - Cascade for 10 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 7, IBU: 5.2)
0.5 oz - Cascade for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 7, IBU: 2.86)

MASH STEPS:
1) Temperature, Temp: 153 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 15.6 qt, Water Temp: 170
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Amount: 23.5 qt, Water Temp: 183

YEAST:
White Labs - California Ale Yeast WLP001
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 76.5%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temperature: 68 F - 73 F

NOTES:
Ferment at 67

Dry hop in secondary with 1 oz cascade

Secondary for 12-14 days at 67, move to 34 degrees for 3-5 days

thoughts? another style I should try? back off a bit on this one?

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Why are you doing a 90 minute boil? And your hop additions don't start until 60 min. Not hating on it, just curious, because I've never seen a recipe like that.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

global tetrahedron posted:

Why are you doing a 90 minute boil? And your hop additions don't start until 60 min. Not hating on it, just curious, because I've never seen a recipe like that.

actually that was something I forgot to change from the recipe I copied it from. will do this for 60.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Longer boils can promote denaturing and clearing of the beer, particularly if your heat source can't give you as hard as a boil as it should, so some people always do 90 minute boils of the wort.

Edit: that beer is still going to be a massive step up from bud light. Maybe try a cream ale?

baquerd fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 8, 2013

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Seems like a lot of crystal malt for 5 gallons to me. I usually stay more in the 1 pound/5 gallons range, myself. I'd do a little 40L crystal or something, maybe 8 ounces, and maybe 1 or 2 ounces of black patent for color - but dink around with the amount of patent malt to get a color you like as it is easy to overshoot.

Lots of amber or red beers are just pale beers with sinamar or black malt added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Agreeing with Josh, 20% crystal malt is a shitton. Dial it back to around 10%