Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Is there another option for a tenkeyless Cherry Brown board that's better than the Leopold at Elitekeyboards? I'm not against getting one from there, I'm just curious if there are any options for me to compare it to.

The not-numpad is fairly important since I'm looking for a board I can take to work without getting in the way/sticking out of my bag on the transit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The Strike 7 looks so bad for its price. The Levetron Mech 5 is mechanical and you can split off the numpad section too, and leave it attached by wire or attach it to the other side.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I used to be all about gaudy gamer keyboards but then I got a plain looking Topre Realforce keyboard and I will never go back. That keyboard looks so unwieldy :(

fookolt fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 6, 2013

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jetfire posted:

Is there another option for a tenkeyless Cherry Brown board that's better than the Leopold at Elitekeyboards? I'm not against getting one from there, I'm just curious if there are any options for me to compare it to.

The not-numpad is fairly important since I'm looking for a board I can take to work without getting in the way/sticking out of my bag on the transit.

Filco TKL or CM Storm quickfire rapid are both made by Costar OEM and are pretty top notch. I'm not sure if they're flat out better than a Leopold but they're going to also be high quality. The CM Storm Quickfire Rapid is also like half the price of the other boards mentioned (sometimes less if it's on sale).

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

I'm REALLY close to pulling the trigger on a Quickfire Pro or the Rosewill RK-9000 with MX Browns, as I do a fair bit of gaming but also a lot of typing, and Browns seem like a good middleground. Either one would be my first mechanical keyboard, though, so I'm hesitant and want to be sure I'm not ignoring better options.

Questions for anyone who's owned either:

- Firstly, which one is better? I've read mixed reviews about Rosewill products falling apart, while the worst I've read about the Quickfire is that the micro USB cable that comes with it isn't great but any other will work fine if you need to use a different one. Which one of these is going to last the longest? Leaning toward the Quickfire based on reviews.

- Which is the better website for ordering: Newegg or Amazon? Prices are close for both. However, only Newegg clearly shows the warranty info. Do all of the Rosewills, regardless of retailer, come with the 3-year warranty and all Quickfires 2-year, or is that Newegg-only?

- The Quickfire has some backlit keys. I currently have a keyboard with toggleable backlighting, but I always turn it off. It defaults to on, so every time the machine reboots, I have to turn it back off. Does the Quickfire do this as well, or does it remember your settings? Not a huge deal if you have to do it every time, but would be nice if it defaults to off.

Any other suggestions would be welcome, too. I feel like investing in a mechanical keyboard will be worth it, so I'm actually comfortable spending a bit more for a better one that will last longer if you guys have any specific recommendations, but only if it has the standard US layout like the two above. Full key layout with numpad is also a necessity. Media keys and extras are not necessary, but if they're not crappy and don't interfere with the layout or build quality, wouldn't be a downside.

I'm also curious to hear any reasons to go with Blues instead of Browns, and if Blues are all right for gaming. Sounds like they're great for typing, but I do enough FPS gaming that if they're not good for it, that would be a bit of a downer.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 6, 2013

Sad 2 Da Bone
Feb 13, 2012

Buff Skeleton posted:

I'm also curious to hear any reasons to go with Blues instead of Browns, and if Blues are all right for gaming. Sounds like they're great for typing, but I do enough FPS gaming that if they're not good for it, that would be a bit of a downer.

I got a Das with cherry browns and play a lot of Counterstrike and other FPSes, and I've had zero problems with it. I also transcribe for my job and type a ton, and it's been amazing, so I say go for the browns.

I also posted a few weeks ago about how I broke one of the switches on my keyboard, and finally picked up a soldering iron, desoldering iron, and some liquid courage. After half an hour of "work" and literally my first time (de)soldering anything ever, my keyboard has been returned to its former glory:

I feel like I can take on the world now!

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
That's a remarkably neat job for a first-timer, nice work.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Spoony Bard posted:

I also posted a few weeks ago about how I broke one of the switches on my keyboard, and finally picked up a soldering iron, desoldering iron, and some liquid courage. After half an hour of "work" and literally my first time (de)soldering anything ever, my keyboard has been returned to its former glory:

Cripes, I wish my first time soldering looked anywhere near that good.

Rexxed posted:

The only thing you may have an issue with is that no mechanical keyboards are going to be that thin (disregarding scissor switches) or light since they have a lot more parts than a rubber dome, and the height is always going to be plastic case bottom + PCB + Switch height + keycap at minimum. Most quality boards also put a plate above the PCB that the switches sit on that make the whole board feel more solid, which adds to their weight. The overall size will be smaller than a G15 but mostly due to not having a screen and extra buttons all around the sides. If the height is an issue you might look into a good wrist rest since it's very easy to destroy your wrists if they don't sit properly.

Thanks for the advice. The Rosewills aren't actually that much more expensive so I might pick one up now. I don't really know why I said thin and light, all I actually want is it to be less wide.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Buff Skeleton posted:

I can't really offer in depth opinions on the two boards in comparison since I've owned neither myself. However for the switch question, honestly it has a lot to do with what you're used to. I like blue switches because I've been using mechanical keyboards since '96 and I went from white clicky ALPS switches for 4-5 years to buckling spring for 11 to cherry blues. I push keys down hard and I like them to click; in fact I kind of wish that I had bought green switches now (like blues but with stiffer springs, but not widely available). Browns are still very nice though for typing and will probably feel good gaming, it's just not what I want in a keyboard. However they're a great switch type and should be fine for someone moving from a rubber dome/membrane since they're not really heavy like Blacks or clicky like Blues, they're just a nice general use switch.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What are the best stores to buy Filco or Leopold keyboards from that ship internationally? I'm after a tenkeyless with browns if it makes any difference. From what I've read Filco is usually better quality than Leopold but if Leopold is significantly cheaper I'll just get that.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

Wow, it looks like they listened to the feedback about the obnoxiously bright lock key LEDs too and got rid of them. Weird, they don't mention anything about USB ports on this one, and they specify that they'll still continue to sell the 9000 and 9100 series.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Welp, after some further research, I ended up pulling the trigger on a Ducky Shine II white backlit keyboard with MX Brown switches. Pretty excited about this!

Babylonian
Jan 18, 2008
its time for some
sad
dad
posting
So I got these gorgeous pastel-rainbow keycaps for Christmas:

They're built for Cherry MX switches, which means it's time for me to get my first mechanical keyboard. Which is great! I think I'd like to get the cheapest (decent) mechanical keyboard available. I'm leaning toward a white keyboard, since I think that'd look best with these caps, but I don't really care what color the keys it ships with are, since I'll be stripping those regardless. I'm leaning towards 'blue' switches, since the click seems appealing, but I also have no idea what I'm talking about.

So, yeah, what keyboard options would y'all recommend?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Babylonian posted:

They're built for Cherry MX switches, which means it's time for me to get my first mechanical keyboard. Which is great! I think I'd like to get the cheapest (decent) mechanical keyboard available. I'm leaning toward a white keyboard, since I think that'd look best with these caps, but I don't really care what color the keys it ships with are, since I'll be stripping those regardless. I'm leaning towards 'blue' switches, since the click seems appealing, but I also have no idea what I'm talking about.

Woah, where did you get them? That looks beautiful.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Babylonian posted:

If you're looking for full size but fairly cheap, there's some Rosewill boards (the keycaps aren't white but the case is so that should work out) that are actually on sale right now:
Brown switches:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201051
Blue switches:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201052

If you could go tenkeyless, there's boards like the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid, though it's got a grey/black case instead of white (newer boards are coming without the CM Storm logos all over the case as well and are just flat grey on top of the case). Other options for white boards tend to be more expensive, like Filco (TKL full) or Leopold (can't find white ones at the moment actually).

There's a few small boards like the noppoo ones http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Noppo...=item4cfa690e4b in white as well but it's likely that your keycap set wouldn't fit completely since they're small boards.

You could also buy a keyboard without caps from somewhere like WASDKeyboards but I don't see a white version at the moment: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-v1-barebones-mechanical-keyboard.html

Shopping for mechanical keyboards usually takes me to some of the major sites like amazon.com and newegg.com for the major brands in the US, but there's also specialty sites just for mechanical keyboards that get more selection from the Asian markets. Take a look at mechanicalkeyboards.com and elitekeyboards.com as well as importers who will ship you stuff from overseas like qtan's online store (he posts on geekhack.com and seems to be reliable): http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/

Also if you didn't get one with your keycap set, you should get a keycap puller to take the caps off the new board.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 8, 2013

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Holy poo poo, Matias announced a wireless Bluetooth TKL Mac quiet tactile mechanical keyboard. It's my dream keyboard. I can't wait.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/01/...mpaign=wordtwit

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

One Swell Foop posted:

That's a remarkably neat job for a first-timer, nice work.

Yeah, mine was way shittier (and I used to have a lot of practice in school), but with a 6$ radioshack iron, I wan't expecting miracles.

Babylonian
Jan 18, 2008
its time for some
sad
dad
posting

fookolt posted:

Woah, where did you get them? That looks beautiful.
The ones I was gifted came from this eBay shop.

Rexxed posted:

A bunch of stuff about keyboards
Holy crap! This is all super useful, thank you.

So I guess this is my last question: where do you guys keep your 'good' keyboard? I'm completely torn on whether I'd want mine with me at work, or left on my desk at home. Hmmmm.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Babylonian posted:

The ones I was gifted came from this eBay shop.

Thanks!

quote:

So I guess this is my last question: where do you guys keep your 'good' keyboard? I'm completely torn on whether I'd want mine with me at work, or left on my desk at home. Hmmmm.

For me, I had to look at how much time I'd actually be able to type on it along with which place would benefit from having this really quiet keyboard. So even though I spend way more time at work typing, I ended up keeping my Realforce at home simply because my machine's in the bedroom and I don't want to wake up my partner with a rubber dome or mechanical keyboard.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Babylonian posted:

Easy answer - have two good keyboards. Tenkey at work, TKL at home. Your favorite switch in both.

Gavinvin
Jan 3, 2013

Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the throat.
Any people living in the UK got suggestions on where to order a good keyboard, and what availability we can get over here?

I was originally wanting to get Cherry MX Blue switches, but after reading some of the posts here I think I would rather get linear switches, but I'm open to suggestions. I game lots, RPGS and FPS mostly. I am also a programmer too and do a decent amount of coding at home too.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Gavinvin posted:

Any people living in the UK got suggestions on where to order a good keyboard, and what availability we can get over here?

I was originally wanting to get Cherry MX Blue switches, but after reading some of the posts here I think I would rather get linear switches, but I'm open to suggestions. I game lots, RPGS and FPS mostly. I am also a programmer too and do a decent amount of coding at home too.

I don't live in the UK but I know that http://www.keyboardco.com/ is a big enthusiast seller in the UK and has a good reputation. I'm sure there are other sellers with wider selection, however.

Gavinvin
Jan 3, 2013

Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the throat.

Rexxed posted:

I don't live in the UK but I know that http://www.keyboardco.com/ is a big enthusiast seller in the UK and has a good reputation. I'm sure there are other sellers with wider selection, however.

Thanks for the advice. I have spotted a couple keyboards, does anyone have any comments on them?

Corsair Vengeance K90

UK Filco Majestouch-2

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Gavinvin posted:

Thanks for the advice. I have spotted a couple keyboards, does anyone have any comments on them?

Corsair Vengeance K90

UK Filco Majestouch-2
If you're at all interested in the K90, Corsair just announced their new, fully-mechanical K95 today. It addresses the biggest customer complaint about the K90 (which is not fully mechanical) and adds per-key backlighting adjustment. It also costs more.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Gavinvin posted:

Corsair Vengeance K90

UK Filco Majestouch-2

The Filco Majestouch-2 is a really good barebones mechanical keyboard. I have one myself and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

glompix posted:

Easy answer - have two good keyboards. Tenkey at work, TKL at home. Your favorite switch in both.

Best solution for me: Tenkey Blue switch at home, Tenkeyless Brown switch at work, to avoid cluttering the generally cramped workspace and not annoy the hell out of my co-workers.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Gavinvin posted:

Scan.co.uk sell the CM Storm mechanicals. They're practically Filco's. Don't be put off by the pictures they have on Scan, though. It's not the US layout like it's shown and it doesn't have all the dumb logos over it.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Has anyone ever used the Matias Quiet Pro? What switch is it most similar to?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Gavinvin posted:

Corsair Vengeance K90

UK Filco Majestouch-2

A large amount of Corsair K60/K90s have problems with keys signals getting stuck on and sending a bunch of characters. Don't buy them when there are other options.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
So I woke up today to find my beautiful black daskeyboard covered in smelly cat hair and now some of the keys are wildly hosed up. The up arrow puts the computer into sleep mode, the return key just randomly inputs strings of asdfjk over and over again, and the left arrow launches the calculator :psyduck:

Has anyone encountered anything like this before and is there anyway to fix it? Google turns up not much and I've already tried reinstalling the keyboard. Any ideas?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Your cat pissed in your keyboard and shorted it, condolences.

(Make sure it didn't chew the cord)

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
She's the reason I can't have nice things. :( All the letters, numbers, and symbols work fine. It's just the PgUp/Dn/End, arrows, and numpad which makes me thing there's some super secret function key that I don't understand being locked down.

Sad 2 Da Bone
Feb 13, 2012

Woozy posted:

She's the reason I can't have nice things. :( All the letters, numbers, and symbols work fine. It's just the PgUp/Dn/End, arrows, and numpad which makes me thing there's some super secret function key that I don't understand being locked down.

That sounds like a short, and she probably aimed on the right half of the keyboard (it's sending the signals for sleep buttons, launch app buttons, etc that are found on multimedia keyboards instead of the proper buttons).

Edit: If you're going to do what Bjo suggested below and tear it open for cleaning, here's a "guide" I used when tearing apart my Das: http://www.geoffbreach.com/hacks/das-keyboard-hack/

This will void your warranty, although the cat piss may have beat you to it.

Sad 2 Da Bone fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 9, 2013

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Goo posted:

If you're at all interested in the K90, Corsair just announced their new, fully-mechanical K95 today. It addresses the biggest customer complaint about the K90 (which is not fully mechanical) and adds per-key backlighting adjustment. It also costs more.

Per-key backlighting is nice, but what I would really like to have is more separation between the sections. Also a choice of switches. :negative:

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Corsair seems to have hitched their wagon to reds, so if you don't like them you're pretty much relegated to choosing someone else.

bjobjoli
Feb 21, 2006
Wrasslin'

Woozy posted:

So I woke up today to find my beautiful black daskeyboard covered in smelly cat hair and now some of the keys are wildly hosed up. The up arrow puts the computer into sleep mode, the return key just randomly inputs strings of asdfjk over and over again, and the left arrow launches the calculator :psyduck:

Has anyone encountered anything like this before and is there anyway to fix it? Google turns up not much and I've already tried reinstalling the keyboard. Any ideas?

I've had success fixing my Quickfire Rapid when I spilled beer on it by taking it apart and cleaning the circuit board with 99% isopropyl alcohol. Just make sure that it's all evaporated before you put it back together and plug it in.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Where can I buy Filco keyboards that ship internationally? The only stores that I could find wanted to charge ridiculous amounts mainly for shipping (I'm not sure a Filco keyboard is $100 better than a Leopold or CM Storm for example). No one on ebay seems to have any stock of the model I'm after either.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Red_Fred posted:

Where can I buy Filco keyboards that ship internationally? The only stores that I could find wanted to charge ridiculous amounts mainly for shipping (I'm not sure a Filco keyboard is $100 better than a Leopold or CM Storm for example). No one on ebay seems to have any stock of the model I'm after either.

If you're looking for a TKL model (no number pad, often called tenkeyless), the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid is almost identical to the Filco since they're made by the same OEM, and it's like half the cost. As for shipping, I'm not sure what to tell you other than international shipping is expensive. I couldn't find much information about buying mechanical keyboards in New Zealand but this guy on Geekhack shares your pain: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37407.msg712900#msg712900. For just Filco sellers in general, the keyboard company is one of the bigger sellers in the UK: http://www.keyboardco.com/index.asp and they sell in the US over Amazon, but you'd have to check the shipping charges. Also see if some of the other niche sellers like mechanicalkeyboards.com might offer better rates. You're likely stuck paying a decent amount for shipping, unfortunately.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Just got the K90 for Christmas. I'm loving it. Nice and clicky, fast to type on, solid as a rock and feels great. So I can definitely vouch for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Siochain posted:

Just got the K90 for Christmas. I'm loving it. Nice and clicky, fast to type on, solid as a rock and feels great. So I can definitely vouch for it!
I just replaced my K60 because gently caress you Corsair. The Function row and the pgdn/pgup set is not mechanical. On a Logitech G710 now, it is quite a lot better.

• Locked thread