Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Small issue with EUIII+; christian daymios get the decision to become Jerusalem. They can't really do much with it unless they become Shogun and then conquer Judea which I doubt the AI will do but I suppose a crafty play may find a way to make use of it :v:.

DrSunshine posted:

You know, it would be really nice if Paradox ever got to the modern day, and made something more like a political / economic simulator with a lessened military aspect. So, something following where HOI4 will leave off, at the end of the Cold War. I imagine that managing a modern political state, especially if it was sort of character-based, would be pretty interesting.

Imagine trying to get your Senator elected president, with a periodic election map, making campaign promises, etc. Or how about instead of playing as a particular leader or the nation as a whole, you played as a party? So you'd have to do all sorts of CK2-like backroom dealings with political figures, lobbyists and PACs, corporations, and the like.

This here is why despite that I want to be excited for East V West, I really can't get sold on it because the devs are using the HoI3 engine.... it works well for wars but I just can't see how it will let you do much on the political front other than the espionage system of HoI3. Granted good modders can work wonders and these guys get the behind the scenes tools we don't see but unless we see dev diaries that show the focus of the game is the political stuff I'm not sure what else the player is supposed to do.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vegetable posted:

In my EU3+ save, Finland and Spain have been stuck in a Finnish War of Revolution with Scandinavia for like ever. I can't tell how long without digging into the save file but it's been at least 100 years. Scandinavia is completely occupied, has no overseas holdings and is stuck at -3 stability but nobody wants to make peace. It's completely bizarre to me since it takes a major country out of the game.

Vanilla AI issue.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
in those endless war situations I just tag switch and force the losing party to accept the terms.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So here's a fun feature I recently discovered about the Steppe Wolfe mod to EU3 that I'm curious if any other EU3 mods use. It's possible to dewesternize, that is, for a Latin tech group country to, by decision, revert to the Muslim or Chinese techgroup. I discovered this by noticing that Hassa in one of my games would collect +3 Stab, go Latin tech, then collect 5 stab and go Muslim tech and got caught in a never-ending recursive loop of Westernizing and undoing Westernization.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Patter Song posted:

So here's a fun feature I recently discovered about the Steppe Wolfe mod to EU3 that I'm curious if any other EU3 mods use. It's possible to dewesternize, that is, for a Latin tech group country to, by decision, revert to the Muslim or Chinese techgroup. I discovered this by noticing that Hassa in one of my games would collect +3 Stab, go Latin tech, then collect 5 stab and go Muslim tech and got caught in a never-ending recursive loop of Westernizing and undoing Westernization.

Someone give that Steppe Wolfe kid a job as project manager already.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Is HOI3 worth playing yet? I tried playing Arsenal of Democracy but micromanaging a thousand units on two fronts with those tiny little provinces on the EU2 engine is just nuts.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
I thought AoD used the HOI2 map?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Rudi Starnberg posted:

I thought AoD used the HOI2 map?

It's still the EU2 engine with its antiquated UI.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Patter Song posted:

In Vanilla it's already possible to de-westernise, but only via Reactionary Rebels. I have a set of debug decisions I've added to my game that will independently set the tech_group and unit_type to anything I want, but it's not something I've ever allowed the AI to use. I'm hoping he put something like that in, and then forgot to make the AI not use it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Okay, so I'm finishing up the A Srb Divided Mod for Victoria 2: A House Divided Deluxe Beta Edition Mk. I and I happen to have a need of a few flags, because I'm terrible with image editing. Someone who's not terrible with flags please help me out here with flags for the following nations, or else they will have terrible flags found with Google Image Search or drunkenly photoshopped:

Kroatstralia, Kroatgascar, Contlazotla Aztec Successor State, Haiti With Albanians, Catholic Space Nazi Canadian Empire, Hindustan That Has Never Done Anything For the British Except Murder Them, Independent Mayan Nation, Nuova Roma Which Is a Bunch of Steampunk Italian-Americans with Rome Madness, Srb Flying Pig Republic of America, Serbia-Byzantium/Srbjztn, Srb Founded Pan-Afrikan Empire.

If you could help with any of that I will love you and even thank you and credit you as a contributor to "A Srb Divided Mod for Victoria 2: A House Divided Deluxe Beta All Editions and Future Revisions" .

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

DrProsek posted:

Small issue with EUIII+; christian daymios get the decision to become Jerusalem. They can't really do much with it unless they become Shogun and then conquer Judea which I doubt the AI will do but I suppose a crafty play may find a way to make use of it :v:.

:unsmigghh:

Firing up a playthrough right the gently caress now as a Japanese state with the sole goal of eventually becoming Shogun of Jerusalem.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ZearothK posted:

Okay, so I'm finishing up the A Srb Divided Mod for Victoria 2: A House Divided Deluxe Beta Edition Mk. I and I happen to have a need of a few flags, because I'm terrible with image editing. Someone who's not terrible with flags please help me out here with flags for the following nations, or else they will have terrible flags found with Google Image Search or drunkenly photoshopped:
I'll see what I can do.

ZearothK posted:

Catholic Space Nazi Canadian Empire
Given that Victoria has alternate flags for other ideologies, I suppose you're also going to want Catholic Space Commies/Monarchists/Republicans? ;)

ZearothK posted:

Srb Flying Pig Republic of America
Are flying pig important here, or is it just a reference to the unlikelihood of a Serbian colony in the Americas? Help out those of us who haven't followed the LP!

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Dunno whether you're looking for these, Wiz, but here's my current game as England in 1640, using EU3+ 1.04.

Really wish Iberia wouldn't end up as such a mess, but the best part is Japan colonizing the Siberian coast. And Brandenburg inherited Crimea.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'll see what I can do.

Given that Victoria has alternate flags for other ideologies, I suppose you're also going to want Catholic Space Commies/Monarchists/Republicans? ;)

Yeah, that too. Canadians in this scenario are veeery catholic and see the Americas as a land ripe for a second round of crusades.

quote:

Are flying pig important here, or is it just a reference to the unlikelihood of a Serbian colony in the Americas? Help out those of us who haven't followed the LP!

Both, the Srb Republic was originally an elective monarchy ruled by a pig because they could not find a person everyone could agree on without a civil war, and so it became the symbol of the republic.

Thanks in advance!

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

DrProsek posted:

Given the AI and its random tendency towards being awesome (in its own way) in this game, It wouldn't actually surprise me if it happened once in a blue moon.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is HOI3 worth playing yet? I tried playing Arsenal of Democracy but micromanaging a thousand units on two fronts with those tiny little provinces on the EU2 engine is just nuts.
If you thought AOD had too many units and too many provinces, I don't think HOI3 is ever going to be worth playing.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you thought AOD had too many units and too many provinces, I don't think HOI3 is ever going to be worth playing.

Well you don't have to play the game. You can watch the AI play it.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Please base pig flag on this:

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I feel like that EU3 remix video posted earlier missed out on some kind of Dub Steppe joke.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Kersch posted:

I feel like that EU3 remix video posted earlier missed out on some kind of Dub Steppe joke.

That'll have to wait until he executes Barbarossa in the sequel.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

There was also a really popular serbia Victoria LP in LF, I think at least on these forums that's what bumped them up the scale in the collective goon consciousness

Also I'm so happy I'm not the only one that remembers the Carnival of Lust

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

DrProsek posted:

Sounds less like a bug and more like a LP waiting to happen.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
Wiz, in EUIII+ did you change the building costs back to the original values? When playing as the Qin state the costs of all the military buildings were d48 instead of d24 like in azerimod.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Spiderfist Island posted:

Wiz, in EUIII+ did you change the building costs back to the original values? When playing as the Qin state the costs of all the military buildings were d48 instead of d24 like in azerimod.

Building costs have changed since Azerimod.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Poland is kind of ridiculous in EU3+ Azeri scenario. They make it impossible to play as anyone in europe who isnt a major power at the start, because without a player actively trying to gently caress them over from the start they will destroy the entire world all at once.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

run DNC posted:

Poland is kind of ridiculous in EU3+ Azeri scenario. They make it impossible to play as anyone in europe who isnt a major power at the start, because without a player actively trying to gently caress them over from the start they will destroy the entire world all at once.

I think you may be basing your conclusions off of too small a sample size. I have seen plenty of games where Poland doesn't do particularly well despite my not doing anything to stunt their growth.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Alchenar posted:

Well you don't have to play the game. You can watch the AI play it.

Or you could play some parts and let the AI carry out your plan in other parts, crazy I know! HoI3 really isn't the only game in the world with AI automation options.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Darkrenown posted:

Or you could play some parts and let the AI carry out your plan in other parts, crazy I know! HoI3 really isn't the only game in the world with AI automation options.

Master of Orion 3, for example!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Most 4x games have planetary/city governors, the Civ games also have automate worker options, Galciv2 has rally points/auto fleets/and neat automated constructor ships, Distant Worlds can also be almost entirely run by the AI for you...

Did you have some point?

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 9, 2013

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

run DNC posted:

In my playthrough I found them very similar to the Poland in that AzeriEU3 LP. They basically adopt most of the militaristic national ideas and push very close to their forcelimits. I've only sort of countered this by playing an equally expansionist Brandenburg and ringed them up with South and Eastern European vassals. So they haven't been in a war for like 50 years. Without a human player they would doubtless have swallowed Eastern Europe.

Also, an EU3+ peeve I have: Trying to form Germany but am lacking only Wien, so I fabricate claims on it and war with Austria. But despite the CB explicitly stating conquest of Wien, there's no way to take the capital province of another nation. I know you can't do that in the vanilla game too but I had thought the CB's wording meant I could circumvent that requirement. Looks like I'll have to swallow Austria chunk by chunk and wait another 50 years.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Vegetable posted:

Also, an EU3+ peeve I have: Trying to form Germany but am lacking only Wien, so I fabricate claims on it and war with Austria. But despite the CB explicitly stating conquest of Wien, there's no way to take the capital province of another nation. I know you can't do that in the vanilla game too but I had thought the CB's wording meant I could circumvent that requirement. Looks like I'll have to swallow Austria chunk by chunk and wait another 50 years.

If a nation's capital is (landlocked OR the only coastal province they own) and doesn't border any of their other provinces, you can take it in a peace deal. Wien being landlocked, you might be able to conquer it in just two wars.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
You could occupy it in a war and see if you can manually call the Defection event. Not sure what kind of problems that could cause with your save game tough.
Or get Bill of Rights, iirc forcing the release of nations costs less warscore than conquering the provinces.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Tahirovic posted:

You could occupy it in a war and see if you can manually call the Defection event. Not sure what kind of problems that could cause with your save game tough.
Or get Bill of Rights, iirc forcing the release of nations costs less warscore than conquering the provinces.
From what I understand, in EU3+ you will be given the option of 'grabbing' a province in the same culture group as you, or a province that you have a core or possibly a temp claim (conquest mission). It's an event that fires shortly after occupying an eligible province for at least 3 years. It costs 10 infamy if you have no core on it, and 5 infamy if you do, but that's probably way better than amassing all of the infamy you'd need to take on in order to isolate that province first.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

In EU3, if you have one diplomat left you can call to arms an ally without actually consuming that diplomat. But you can't do that when you have no diplomat. Any way to make this possible?

Also, if you annex a territory that's producing, say, a Level 5 production building, it'll continue building it even though you've only inherited up to Level 2.

Friend Commuter posted:

If a nation's capital is (landlocked OR the only coastal province they own) and doesn't border any of their other provinces, you can take it in a peace deal. Wien being landlocked, you might be able to conquer it in just two wars.
Without a proper Casus Belli each province costs 10 infamy. I only can use Fabricated Claims CB and get each province for 3 infamy but as far as I know, only one province per war. So it's still a ton of waiting between multiple wars.

Kersch posted:

From what I understand, in EU3+ you will be given the option of 'grabbing' a province in the same culture group as you, or a province that you have a core or possibly a temp claim (conquest mission). It's an event that fires shortly after occupying an eligible province for at least 3 years. It costs 10 infamy if you have no core on it, and 5 infamy if you do, but that's probably way better than amassing all of the infamy you'd need to take on in order to isolate that province first.
I've never seen that event, but the regular infamy to take a province is already 10 (without CB).

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I just looked it up for Vanilla (I don't have EU3+, I use Miscmod + Kersch's patches for it). You can try this in the console, after you got Wien occupied: "event 746 134"
This should ignore the actual requirements of the event and make that province defect for 25% of the base infamy. I have no clue what will happen to Austria after this tough. It could break the savegame.

One thing that confuses me about this, how can you get a Conquest mission for the capital of anything but a OPM. Is there no check for that in the mission to prevent that?

And Kersch did you ever think about making a more economy based mod? You already made tradegoods more fun but I could see a mod with more/changed buildings, some decisions and events being very interesting.
I did make a province decision that tried to add pop growth at the cost of local_tax but that didn't really seem to work, not to mention it's kinda hard to get the balance right. (Ever had a province that could build Galleons in 3 days? I did.)
Right now I just feel like I always want to have infamy, time spent at 0 infamy feels like wasted time. As I can't integrate provinces quick enough on my own I always have vassals and extend their territory by conquering and selling provinces. I'd prefer to use some of that manpower and money to actually build up my current provinces.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

Master of Orion 3, for example!
I wonder if it means something that liked both that* and HOI3 :ohdear:

* This was before our household had regular internet access and I really had no idea that it was universally panned.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Viscardus posted:

I think you may be basing your conclusions off of too small a sample size. I have seen plenty of games where Poland doesn't do particularly well despite my not doing anything to stunt their growth.

I've played a whole bunch of games and every one has had a really big Poland. My most recent one was notable for them occupying the entirity of Italy for 15 years while also at war with HRE Austria and Russia, to the point that Mantua now controls all of Lombardia.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Probably just chance, Poland definitely has the potential to grow strong in Azeri but I've seen them fall on their face plenty of times (usually resulting in a Bohemia with utterly absurd borders).

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I still enjoy HoI 3 for what it is: a massive, clunky microfest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
In most of my games, Poland ends up utterly decimated and usually eaten by Brandenburg, Lithuania, Bohemia, etc. In my current game, however, they look like this:

This isn't EU+ mind, this is Miscmods with Kersch's expansions.

• Locked thread