Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

NightConqueror posted:

I'll toss Nadurra out there too. I got it for a good price, and am really enjoying it. It's much, much different than the base Glenlivet 12 and has quite a bit of depth to it. It retails some places for ~$70, but it can be had for around $50.
Oddly I saw a lonely couple of bottles of Glenlivet 18yr at my local high-end grocer for $65 each and thought that was a few bucks lower than usual. Nadurra here is $55, though it is CS and NCF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004
The boil on the ass of your happiness

biglads posted:

The Glendronach 15 is very nice. I prefer it to the 18 which is still very nice but a little over oaked for me.

E: Glendronach is as a rule quite the sherry bomb, so if that isn't your thing then look elsewhere.

No such thing as over-oaked. :) That pepper-like bite is one of the things that I crave in a Scotch. The holy trinity for me is pepper, peat and salt.

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004

MJP posted:

So I didn't like Laphroaig 10 years due to being too smokey, I liked Highland Park 15 for deep and caramelly flavors, Macallen 10 years Fine Oak for a light introductory body with enough smokeyness to be interesting, Balvenie Caribbean Cask for vanillaness and sparky kind of flavor. I'm totally open to recommendations for something else interesting up to $80ish.

Yamazaki 12 years was really good too, but from what people have told me it's pretty out there.

Any recommendations to help me develop my scotch tastes? Toying with Caol Ila but not sure which one, simply to branch out.

I recommended it earlier in the thread, but give a try to Caol Ila Unpeated. It's rare that I enjoy unpeated drams as much as I did this one.

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/product.asp?pf_id=2400000001617

(I definitely can recommend shipping / ordering from Royal Mile Whiskies - I got a chance to drop in and visit them once and they're a great shop).

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004
Also, for anyone with an interest, I've been working on a scotch blog for the last 6 months or so. I try to put up ratings for everything I taste / buy.

http://www.scotchbynumbers.com/

dug fin fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 7, 2013

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Caol_Ila_Unpeated_12_year_old_Limited_Release_160812.html

Caol Ila 12yr Unpeated is definitely available in the states. Shipping inside US borders is complicated enough, having to pay UK duties and customs for anything short of the extremely rare just isn't worth it. That's assuming he's in the USA based on his $80 budget.

I see there's a 14yr now. The 2009 10yr is pretty much completely gone and the 12yr is dwindling down too.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Here's some video I took of Imperial Distillery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOIlHsGTeFs

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Just wanted to check in to this thread as a new whisky fan and say how much it's helped me so far in making purchasing decisions in my young tasting career. My first bottle was a Jameson (couldn't even honestly tell you the age or anything else about it), that I got for my birthday. I bought a bottle of the Glenlivet 12 for myself after that. The Jameson lasted me 8 months, the Glenlivet barely lasted 1. Tried a Glenmorangie 10 after that one and made a trip to the store today and picked up Highland Park 12 and The Balvenie Signature 12. The good man from the shop also offered me a taste of Lagavulin 16, and while I liked the aromas in it I decided to layer my tastebuds with a few gentler scotches before moving on to more smoky, peaty stuff. Can anyone tell me if that was wise or if I should've just bought the Lagavulin anyway? Or if it even matters, really..

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Elliptical Dick posted:

Just wanted to check in to this thread as a new whisky fan and say how much it's helped me so far in making purchasing decisions in my young tasting career. My first bottle was a Jameson (couldn't even honestly tell you the age or anything else about it), that I got for my birthday. I bought a bottle of the Glenlivet 12 for myself after that. The Jameson lasted me 8 months, the Glenlivet barely lasted 1. Tried a Glenmorangie 10 after that one and made a trip to the store today and picked up Highland Park 12 and The Balvenie Signature 12. The good man from the shop also offered me a taste of Lagavulin 16, and while I liked the aromas in it I decided to layer my tastebuds with a few gentler scotches before moving on to more smoky, peaty stuff. Can anyone tell me if that was wise or if I should've just bought the Lagavulin anyway? Or if it even matters, really..

Drink what you like, there's no merit badges when it comes to drinking. Don't buy Lagavulin just because everyone says it's great, buy it if you like it. There are essentially no right or wrong answers. I personally love Old Pulteney, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who loved really peaty whisky.

You shouldn't have to train yourself to like a drink. I mean tastes change over time but don't think about building up to things.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Aramoro posted:

Drink what you like, there's no merit badges when it comes to drinking. Don't buy Lagavulin just because everyone says it's great, buy it if you like it. There are essentially no right or wrong answers. I personally love Old Pulteney, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who loved really peaty whisky.

You shouldn't have to train yourself to like a drink. I mean tastes change over time but don't think about building up to things.

Heh, that's funny you should say that. I was standing there in the shop all ready to buy the Lagavulin but the shop owner recommended against it. (edit) He said that building it up is probably wise. Having not much experience with scotch, I just took his word for it. Oh well, I'll put it on my list for next time since I really enjoyed the taste I got.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I've got black bottle around right now and it is nice and peaty, but it seems kind of simple and a touch on the harsh side. I guess I might be spoiled by mostly sticking with Ardbeg and Lagavulin for peaty whisky.

Ardbeg is a HELL of a kick to the senses. Love it, but only once in a while

Talisker is easier to drink.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Cellophane S posted:

Ardbeg is a HELL of a kick to the senses. Love it, but only once in a while

Talisker is easier to drink.
To each his own, but I would suggest any Islay over Talisker to beginners. Smoke doesn't necessarily mean tough. It's how much fish/brine I feel is in Talisker that makes it one of the harder whiskies to get used to.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I haven't really had anything too peaty but I found Talisker pretty tough to drink when I had it.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Elliptical Dick posted:

Heh, that's funny you should say that. I was standing there in the shop all ready to buy the Lagavulin but the shop owner recommended against it. (edit) He said that building it up is probably wise. Having not much experience with scotch, I just took his word for it. Oh well, I'll put it on my list for next time since I really enjoyed the taste I got.
That's good to keep in mind if you find you don't care for something something early on. I bought a bottle of Laphroaig 10 early in my scotch career and didn't find it all that memorable. I tried it again later (I actually forgot that I had had it before), thought it was the greatest thing ever, and it has been a must-have in my cabinet ever since. I don't necessarily go out of my way to do so, but I'll always give any whisky a second chance.

That said, if you like something now, you're not going to stop liking it. Enjoy it, I say.

FasterThanLight fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 8, 2013

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

FasterThanLight posted:

That's good to keep in mind if you find you don't care for something something early on. I bought a bottle of Laphroaig 10 early in my scotch career and didn't find it all that memorable. I tried it again later (I actually forgot that I had had it before), thought it was the greatest thing ever, and it has been a must-have in my cabinet ever since. I don't necessarily go out of my way to do so, but I'll always give any whisky a second chance.

That said, if you like something now, you're not going to stop liking it. Enjoy it, I say.

Similar thing happened to me. First scotch I ever tried was Dewar's (I was trying to be classy without spending money) and didn't touch scotch for like a year afterward. Then I tried Laphroaig 10 and it was too much for me to handle. Spent a while exploring bourbons and then the next time I tried Laphroaig I loved it. You should definitely retry stuff you didn't initially like after you've experienced a lot of new whiskies.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

quote:

keep retrying things; tastes change/adapt :words:

I am going through exactly that with ryes right now, I hated them the first time I tried them, now I love them. I was actually a huge peathead before this but I think I just burned out on them. Still really enjoy them, but I don't reach for a bottle of Laphroaig 10 or Lagavulin when I want a dram at the end of the day.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

wargamerROB posted:

Similar thing happened to me. First scotch I ever tried was Dewar's (I was trying to be classy without spending money) and didn't touch scotch for like a year afterward. Then I tried Laphroaig 10 and it was too much for me to handle. Spent a while exploring bourbons and then the next time I tried Laphroaig I loved it. You should definitely retry stuff you didn't initially like after you've experienced a lot of new whiskies.
My first bottle of Laphroaig 10yr took nearly a decade to finish, but now Laphroaig's house style is my favorite.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also, don't be afraid to just not like things. If you go back every 2-3 years to run through the list of things you didn't like, you'll never have time to drink the things you actually do like.

E to expand: I bought 2-3 bottles of Glenlivet 12 over the past 5-6 years because it was the "starter scotch", and even tried the 18 a friend picked up for a party. It was OK, but I just thought it was super boring. People who loved the 18 just raved about how the finish lingered forever and exhaling after a sip was like a breath of vanilla, but I just couldn't really taste it. Scotch didn't click for me at all until I got into peat. But I felt like I had to get into the lighter stuff first, and I blew a bunch of money trying things twice that I already knew I didn't really enjoy.

I'm not saying don't try new things, just also don't be afraid to trust your tongue.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 8, 2013

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Huxley posted:

Also, don't be afraid to just not like things. If you go back every 2-3 years to run through the list of things you didn't like, you'll never have time to drink the things you actually do like.

E to expand: I bought 2-3 bottles of Glenlivet 12 over the past 5-6 years because it was the "starter scotch", and even tried the 18 a friend picked up for a party. It was OK, but I just thought it was super boring. People who loved the 18 just raved about how the finish lingered forever and exhaling after a sip was like a breath of vanilla, but I just couldn't really taste it. Scotch didn't click for me at all until I got into peat. But I felt like I had to get into the lighter stuff first, and I blew a bunch of money trying things twice that I already knew I didn't really enjoy.

I'm not saying don't try new things, just also don't be afraid to trust your tongue.
It seems like you went to an extreme. Instead of recognizing that Glenlivet wasn't to your tastes and just keeping one bottle longer, you forced it upon yourself like medicine rather than a curiosity. The beauty of spirits is that they can last indefinitely in a cellar or even cabinet conditions.

Also nothing is stopping you from experimentation without buying vast quantities. There's always opportune moments at local restaurants and whisky bars for a sampling new stuff. Bottle shops should definitely have 50mL bottles of common styles like Glenlivet as well.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 8, 2013

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

kidsafe posted:

It seems like you went to an extreme. Instead of recognizing that Glenlivet wasn't to your tastes and just keeping one bottle longer, you forced it upon yourself like medicine rather than a curiosity. The beauty of spirits is that they can last indefinitely in a cellar or even cabinet conditions.

Also nothing is stopping you from experimentation without buying vast quantities. There's always opportune moments at local restaurants and whisky bars for a sampling new stuff. Bottle shops should definitely have 50mL bottles of common styles like Glenlivet as well.

I get that, but it's never been the way I've tried or enjoyed things. I tend to buy a bottle and drink every drop of it before I buy another. It's super rare for me to have more than one bottle open at a time. Just the way I roll. And yeah, if you have the chance to spend a night at a good bar, give a few things a try. It's a ton of fun.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
My Dad was always a whisky drinker whereas I've never had the taste for it - think baby sucking on lemon for the face I used to pull when sipping whisky, for as long as I've been able to buy booze I've bought him a bottle of some random scotch for his birthday and Christmas.

He died suddenly August last year.

I've start trying whisky myself, partly as a way of remembering Dad, and partly as a way of cutting down on booze consumption - I can make my only shot of the night last for hours. So far I've tried a couple of 3 bottle miniature sets: a Glenfiddich one (12, 15 & 18 y.o. single malts) and a 2nd that I can't remember off the top of my head right now (It had a sherry cask, an ale cask and something else cask miniatures in the set). I liked the Glenfiddich 18 year old single malt the best, not sure exactly why.

On a whim I bought a 70cl bottle of Dalwhinnie 15 year old as I remembered my Dad talking about it. It's possibly one of the nicest whiskies I've had so far. Really intend to make it last though, it's nice to get a slight "alcohol buzz" without going on to get pissed or drinking a number of pints of beer.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Picked up some rittenhouse today. Not really that big of a fan. It's got a lot of flavor, and I dig the 100 proof bottling but it seems to have a sweeter backbone than the Templeton and Bulleit (rye) I'm comparing it to. So far, my fav has been the Bulleit. Any recommendations on a big, dry, spicy/peppery rye to try next? They have a bottle of Willett single barrel at local liquor store and I've liked their bourbons. Is that worth trying? Trying to hunt down a bottle of one of the Old Potrero offerings.

Edit:
Also saw these. They caught my eye enough to take a picture, though I'm not sure I would try them anytime soon.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 9, 2013

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Mr Darcy posted:

On a whim I bought a 70cl bottle of Dalwhinnie 15 year old as I remembered my Dad talking about it. It's possibly one of the nicest whiskies I've had so far. Really intend to make it last though, it's nice to get a slight "alcohol buzz" without going on to get pissed or drinking a number of pints of beer.

Oh man, I had a couple glasses of that at a restaurant a couple months ago. It was absolutely delicious. How much did that bottle cost where you live?

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004

Mr Darcy posted:

Really intend to make it last though, it's nice to get a slight "alcohol buzz" without going on to get pissed or drinking a number of pints of beer.

One of the things I say to people about Scotch is that if you're drinking Scotch to get pissed, you're doing it wrong. It's definitely a spirit with so much going on and so many levels of appreciation and taste that it's worth sipping and enjoying rather than just downing it. Sounds like you've definitely got the right idea. :)

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Troll Bridgington posted:

Oh man, I had a couple glasses of that at a restaurant a couple months ago. It was absolutely delicious. How much did that bottle cost where you live?

If you live in Minneapolis you can get two bottles for $75, with free delivery to your door!
http://www.shopmerwins.com/da15twopafrs.html

There's a $15 off coupon on that page which brings it down to $75. I've never bought the stuff but it always seems to be in the $45-$55 range at most liquor stores by me.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Troll Bridgington posted:

I think it was about £27 to £30.

dug fin posted:

One of the things I say to people about Scotch is that if you're drinking Scotch to get pissed, you're doing it wrong. It's definitely a spirit with so much going on and so many levels of appreciation and taste that it's worth sipping and enjoying rather than just downing it. Sounds like you've definitely got the right idea. :)

Cheers.

If anyone can recommend something similar to the Dalwhinnie that I can line up for a month or two then I'd appreciate it - The smoother the better with a similar price too!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

When I think of Dalwhinnie I think of honeyed sweetness so I would say something like Glenmorangie, either the standard 10 year bottling, or if you want extra sweet notes and don't mind spending a bit more, the Sauturnes cask finished Nectar d'Or.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Anyone here try any of the new Johnnie Walkers? Platinum, Explorer's Club, or Gold Reserve?

Are they good or just fancy marketing? I do still like my Black Label.

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004

Mr Darcy posted:

If anyone can recommend something similar to the Dalwhinnie that I can line up for a month or two then I'd appreciate it - The smoother the better with a similar price too!

Auchentoshan makes some extremely nice whiskies in a sweeter, smoother style. If you don't mind spending a few extra dollars, I DEFINITELY recommend the Valinch.

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/product.asp?pf_id=0010000038125
http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/product.asp?pf_id=2666600001686

Glenkinchie also has some nice whiskies.

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/product.asp?pf_id=0010000035155
http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/product.asp?pf_id=2400000001465

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cellophane S posted:

Anyone here try any of the new Johnnie Walkers? Platinum, Explorer's Club, or Gold Reserve?

Are they good or just fancy marketing? I do still like my Black Label.

Of course it's marketing, the entire brand is just that, the brand.

Notice how none of the new expressions that replace the old ones have any age statement, this allows them to use younger and thetefore cheaper whiskies in the blend. That and the removal of Green out of their lineup (which is pure malt so no cheap grain in there!) should tell you what direction they're heading. And who can blame them? Their customer base is not made up of whisky aficionados so why bother?

Having said that, the Black label is good value and a decent blend. Also, I've bought myself a bottle of the double black in duty free a while back and although it lacks some of the depth and complexity of the standard black it's a pretty tasty dram as well.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Notice how none of the new expressions that replace the old ones have any age statement, this allows them to use younger and thetefore cheaper whiskies in the blend. That and the removal of Green out of their lineup (which is pure malt so no cheap grain in there!) should tell you what direction they're heading. And who can blame them? Their customer base is not made up of whisky aficionados so why bother?

Having said that, the Black label is good value and a decent blend. Also, I've bought myself a bottle of the double black in duty free a while back and although it lacks some of the depth and complexity of the standard black it's a pretty tasty dram as well.

You make great points. Neither the Explorer's or the Gold have age statements but the Platinum actually says 18. Then again it costs 80 GBP.

I'm sticking with Black Label when it comes to JW for sure. It's still very good to have around the house!

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

GrAviTy84 posted:

Edit:
Also saw these. They caught my eye enough to take a picture, though I'm not sure I would try them anytime soon.

I've never tried the Balcones, but I'll check the local bars I frequent, and get back with a report if successful.

Rebecca Creek, on the other hand I have had plenty of. I enjoy it with just a touch of water added, or with a single ice cube if hot out.
http://www.rebeccacreekwhiskey.com/

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Sat here with the Uigaedail. loving delicious. Raisins, burnt wood, smoke, fire and a slightly sharper sweetness sometimes. Mild brine maybe occasionally, I dunno. Gorgeous whatever the case.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Picked up some rittenhouse today. Not really that big of a fan. It's got a lot of flavor, and I dig the 100 proof bottling but it seems to have a sweeter backbone than the Templeton and Bulleit (rye) I'm comparing it to. So far, my fav has been the Bulleit. Any recommendations on a big, dry, spicy/peppery rye to try next? They have a bottle of Willett single barrel at local liquor store and I've liked their bourbons. Is that worth trying? Trying to hunt down a bottle of one of the Old Potrero offerings.

Looks like I'm alone on my rye journey but I'll keep updating in case anyone cares. I passed by a BevMo today on the way back from a meeting and they had a bottle of High West Double Rye. Priced pretty well considering the reputation of High West. Excited to try it later.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

spankmeister posted:

Sure, every business is out to profit, but I can see why they are shuffling the lineup. Demand is at an all time high and the popularity of Gold Label makes it pretty hard to keep in supply with an 18yr age statement. I think it's an obvious solution to approximate the style with younger whiskies as long as they are also dropping the price (they are.) Platinum Label just takes the place of the old Gold Label and probably has a profile close to Blue Label, though I haven't yet tried these to confirm.

Right now I have 2 bottles of Green Label, I may buy more. I also have two bottles of old Gold Label which were gifts, but I do enjoy anyway.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
Son of a bitch. 1 liter bottles of Talisker Distillers' Edition and 57° at ridiculously low tax free prices and 'purchasing not allowed to you specifically sir because of some silly law between your departure and destination countries'. :suicide:

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

Looks like I'm alone on my rye journey but I'll keep updating in case anyone cares. I passed by a BevMo today on the way back from a meeting and they had a bottle of High West Double Rye. Priced pretty well considering the reputation of High West. Excited to try it later.

I'm still on the fence about Rye since I've only tried a few. The most recent was Woodinville Whiskey Co. Rye. It's 100% rye at 46% ABV and microbarreled. I liked it more than the Bulleit Rye. The Woodinville Bourbon on the other hand didn't work for me at all.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I for one am very interested in your rye journey. You should try to find some Sazerac 6 year. It's got an almost rum-like richness to it.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

GrAviTy84 posted:

Rye Whiskey owns, and I think I'm going to step out of my comfort zone and try something else than my Rittenhouse 100. A Binny's by me has tons of High West stuff, which is tempting.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Kenning posted:

I for one am very interested in your rye journey. You should try to find some Sazerac 6 year. It's got an almost rum-like richness to it.

Sazerac 6 year ridiculous. I just did a side-by-side blind test with Bulleit to see if I could come to a better decision of which I like better. Didn't help. :smith: The Sazerac 6 year is really light and floral compared to the Bulleit, but each has its place and I could drink either all day. It's also cheap as hell with a really distinctive bottle.

Gravity, I've been trying ryes for awhile now. I can at least recommend Russell's Reserve Rye as being pretty rich and flavorful (it's the only one I take with water) and that you should probably avoid ri(1) unless you want the bottle real bad. Wild Turkey's rye didn't impress me, either.

On a non-rye note, I decided to get a lower-shelf scotch to have a budget option on deck while exploring something new. I remembered reading that Black Grouse was pretty good, but they only had 1.75L bottles so I went with Famouse Grouse. This could grow on me, but it starts off almost cloyingly sweet. Are there any other scotches in that price range (20-30) that are worth giving a whirl? Here is a list of everything available in-state, though my store won't have everything listed. So far I've enjoyed Glenfiddich the most, Glenlivet was pretty decent, and Johnny Walker Red and Black were kinda poo poo. Dewars was also too sweet for me, if I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Have you tried Whistle Pig? It's the spiciest rye that I have tried so far, and that includes Rittenhouse bonded. It has an incredible strong peppery finish that last forever.