Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Trap Star posted:

I drive a poverty-spec '04 Mazda 3i and there's nothing permanently illuminated. You have to turn the stalk to turn on the headlights and light up the dash.

The base model doesn't have the same electro-luminescent gauges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Shifty Pony posted:

Texas does not have any "headlights on when raining" laws because :freep: and seriously 25% of drivers don't bother with turning on lights when they are driving their silver cars on the misty rainy days.

:eng101: But Texas DOES have a "if you have to use your wipers, you have to turn on your lights" law.. and parking lights without headlights was, at least at one point, a bit illegal here.

or at least, this is how it was when I took drivers ed .. in 1994. :arghfist::corsair:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 8, 2013

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Described as "New return line" on Facebook, but this looks like shoddy work to me. I don't know a ton about the car, but its some sort of built up turbo Civic. Seems like this will be in the mechanical failures thread soon enough.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pseudonym posted:

It doesn't dim automatically at night, there is a switch you need to press at the top of the cluster to do it manually, and when the headlights are off, there are four levels of dimming. At least that's how it is on the first generation Mazda3, far as I know (I drive an '04). Dunno about current models.

Ah, I've got an '07 MS3 GT with the HIDs and automatic headlights - so yeah, like the other poster mentioned it auto-switches between the two and remembers the last setting. Mostly I use that button when my automatic headlights kick on when it's dim out but still sunny, so I'm wearing my sunglasses and can't see the dimmed cluster for poo poo.

Trap Star posted:

I drive a poverty-spec '04 Mazda 3i and there's nothing permanently illuminated. You have to turn the stalk to turn on the headlights and light up the dash.

I guess this must be why in Forza 4, the regular Mazda3 has a cluster you can read, and the Mazdaspeed3's is too dim.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Lightbulb Out posted:

Described as "New return line" on Facebook, but this looks like shoddy work to me. I don't know a ton about the car, but its some sort of built up turbo Civic. Seems like this will be in the mechanical failures thread soon enough.

Not the greatest of angles for an oil return line so he's going to get buildup after awhile and it will eventually stop draining out of the CHRA. I'm hoping at very least he gets some clamps on there though. :ohdear:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There looks to be a veritable poo poo-ton of RTV on the oil pan gasket, as well. I've never seen a fel-pro blue squish like that.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Lightbulb Out posted:

It looks like a couple of pieces of swage and a piece of tygon tubing. All of which more then likely cost more then the real parts would have.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

It looks like a couple of pieces of swage and a piece of tygon tubing. All of which more then likely cost more then the real parts would have.

I wish I understood what that means. It seems very interesting. So the tubing is questionable? That's pretty bad then. I even use fiber and mesh reinforced thick wall oil hose in the cooling system / heater / air bleed. Meters of the stuff. Why would they cheap out on that. It's not exactly bank breakingly expensive.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

sbaldrick posted:

Looks to me like silicone heater hose. I'd bet dollars to donuts that those are JIC hydraulic fittings, with the threads acting as "barbs".

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Bucephalus posted:

Looks to me like silicone heater hose. I'd bet dollars to donuts that those are JIC hydraulic fittings, with the threads acting as "barbs".

But...but the barb fittings are readily available. And threads act as a wonderful wick when mated to a hose.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

General_Failure posted:

But...but the barb fittings are readily available. And threads act as a wonderful wick when mated to a hose.

You know what thread you're in, right?

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Going to trade the Outback in towards a compact pickup. Suddenly, from around the corner, the '80s came screaming back to life:

Please tell me this is just some slovenly car dealer's idea, and not an official Nissan style choice.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Dude that's loving cool

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

amenenema posted:

Dude that's loving cool

It would be if it kept going & covered the rocker panel. Also, the truck needs to be that 80's green. And slightly uneven.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Polymerized Cum posted:

Going to trade the Outback in towards a compact pickup. Suddenly, from around the corner, the '80s came screaming back to life:

Please tell me this is just some slovenly car dealer's idea, and not an official Nissan style choice.

stickers are making a comeback, you can order this on your new f-150.

http://www.fordcustomgraphics.com/f150.php

edit: pretty much everything in there is hilariously 80s.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 9, 2013

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Florida has no inspections at all, as far as I'm aware. One year, I re-registered a Chrysler Fifth Avenue that was in "limp home" mode. I did it all online. Drove that ugly bastard for 8 months in second gear.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
7:15 Am in December, in snow, a white car suddenly appears on my bumper on a 35mph country road. No lights. I think i actually gasped a bit being so surprised to see someone behind me like that in those conditions with NO LIGHTS.

People in Eastern Wa leave their brights on all the time at night. 75% of people drive lifted newer trucks with all their extra light options. Its normal to have the cab of my non lifted old f150 illuminated like a stage when i drive home on the highway.

I had my most serious fog driving experience this evening. A 20 min drive was 40 min because semis on the highway refused to do more than 35 mph and there was a huge convoy. It felt pretty sketch because so many cars were packed together. I did maintain a good following distance, i kept thinking about that massive pileup in texas recently where people died and a mile of road was blocked. It had the potential to be that bad. Visibility was 50 yards at most.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
Less talk, more pictures.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

I guess this must be why in Forza 4, the regular Mazda3 has a cluster you can read, and the Mazdaspeed3's is too dim.

Nah, it's just weird.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

einTier posted:

For when you absolutely, positively hate to be passed.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

But... wait... why... how... :psyduck:

e. nevermind, :downs: is better

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That jeep definitely belongs in this thread. :downs: is right.

(and that's coming from an unapolagetic jeep fanboy)

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

einTier posted:

And it works too :stonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fy6IHPriDQ

Ouch, on the subject of jeep fails.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vQqKTWw7Z4

VV "That's hosed now man." VV

Aurune fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 9, 2013

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
This related video was great too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qnkMWM7lTE

I want the narrator's voice. "drat DUDE, HOLY gently caress. drat." :black101:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What is that guy in the bottom right wearing?

exempt
Dec 10, 2006

CharlesM posted:

What is that guy in the bottom right wearing?

Chest protector for opriding a dirt bike/quad. No real protection except from flying rocks.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Reminds me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HT7mXvdcKg

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Lightbulb Out posted:

At first glance I thought for sure the blue hose was covering a braided steel hose. It's not, is it.

:negative:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

stickers are making a comeback, you can order this on your new f-150.

http://www.fordcustomgraphics.com/f150.php

edit: pretty much everything in there is hilariously 80s.

If only they had a blood splatter decal for the grille and hood.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Drive in the Upper Midwest, at night, in Autumn. Blood/guts/poop/hair free of charge! :ohdeer:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Raw_Beef posted:

7:15 Am in December, in snow, a white car suddenly appears on my bumper on a 35mph country road. No lights. I think i actually gasped a bit being so surprised to see someone behind me like that in those conditions with NO LIGHTS.

People in Eastern Wa leave their brights on all the time at night. 75% of people drive lifted newer trucks with all their extra light options. Its normal to have the cab of my non lifted old f150 illuminated like a stage when i drive home on the highway.

I had my most serious fog driving experience this evening. A 20 min drive was 40 min because semis on the highway refused to do more than 35 mph and there was a huge convoy. It felt pretty sketch because so many cars were packed together. I did maintain a good following distance, i kept thinking about that massive pileup in texas recently where people died and a mile of road was blocked. It had the potential to be that bad. Visibility was 50 yards at most.

When it snows on Donner Pass in NV/CA stateline everyone wants to go a different speed, and they follow at the same distances they would on the 405 in Long Beach. Going up there during a snowstorm we were in a GLK with snow tires, so we were pretty well set for the snow. Getting up to the front of the traffic line after they closed the road briefly, we were in the first 50 cars or so and it was like an apocalypse movie. We were dodging jackknifing rigs, people spinning out, cars hitting each other, and it was all happening in slow motion. I try to avoid stereotyping drivers based on location, but Californians are downright dangerous in inclement weather.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The apocalypse scenario happens often enough in northern Idaho. I had :siren: MY GIRLFRIEND :siren: pick me up from a town 30 minutes/30 miles away because I had stranded myself on my motorcycle at a friend's house because it snowed overnight. The snow started falling so heavily on the ride home that the 30 minute trip became over an hour. It was a four-lane split highway, and there were well over a dozen cars stuck in the ditch between the two, though some were half-covered with snow so they were probably crashed the night before. There were multiple semis stopped on the side of the road, and the only other car we saw was a state trooper in a Blazer. It dropped almost six inches of snow in that trip alone. Driving a white Ford Explorer with absolutely no other cars on the road in northern Idaho during a blizzard is an eerie experience.

At least she had her lights on the whole time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

The apocalypse scenario happens often enough in northern Idaho. I had :siren: MY GIRLFRIEND :siren: pick me up from a town 30 minutes/30 miles away because I had stranded myself on my motorcycle at a friend's house because it snowed overnight. The snow started falling so heavily on the ride home that the 30 minute trip became over an hour. It was a four-lane split highway, and there were well over a dozen cars stuck in the ditch between the two, though some were half-covered with snow so they were probably crashed the night before. There were multiple semis stopped on the side of the road, and the only other car we saw was a state trooper in a Blazer. It dropped almost six inches of snow in that trip alone. Driving a white Ford Explorer with absolutely no other cars on the road in northern Idaho during a blizzard is an eerie experience.

At least she had her lights on the whole time.

I drove my Quattro 4k home in Wyoming one night after adding the rally lights to test them out and a good storm hit. Those lights made a hell of a difference, and so did the locking front and rear differentials.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Das Volk posted:

I try to avoid stereotyping drivers based on location, but Californians are downright dangerous in inclement weather.

This was essentially what happened during the November vacation. I was one of about 20 who made it to Gold Run to get half a cup of instant coffee and take a leak. about 10 miles prior, a truck jacknifed and took out part of the guardrail as well as blocking the entire westbound lanes. I thought it a bit odd as no cars were entering the rest area about 5 minutes after me, and then got a frantic call from the relatives stuck behind that mess.

Not sure if the trip was worse, or the vacation. I got to play taxi when their Ranger died. Twice.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Das Volk posted:

When it snows on Donner Pass in NV/CA stateline everyone wants to go a different speed, and they follow at the same distances they would on the 405 in Long Beach. Going up there during a snowstorm we were in a GLK with snow tires, so we were pretty well set for the snow. Getting up to the front of the traffic line after they closed the road briefly, we were in the first 50 cars or so and it was like an apocalypse movie. We were dodging jackknifing rigs, people spinning out, cars hitting each other, and it was all happening in slow motion. I try to avoid stereotyping drivers based on location, but Californians are downright dangerous in inclement weather.

poo poo, sometimes the stereotypes are dead-on. Just drove in MA for the first time in a year or so, and I forgot that MA drivers will willfully endanger themselves to merge. I was blow away by the amount of times someone just pulled in front of me or blew through a stop sign to make a left without looking. All I could think is someday, someone won't be paying attention, or their brakes will be shot, or something will happen, and those idiots are going to get flattened.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
From the first minute, nay, second one of riding a motorcycle, my biggest fear has been everyone else on the road, for the reasons you describe.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Geirskogul posted:

From the first minute, nay, second one of riding a motorcycle, my biggest fear has been everyone else on the road, for the reasons you describe.

It's the biggest (only) reason I have for probably never owning a motorcycle, even though I'd really love to. People are scary stupid on the road.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

Geirskogul posted:

I still have this fear in healthy doses but more and more it just makes me angry. In rush hour, on my way to work on my bike I had someone veer into my center lane from the right. I couldn't get out of the way without giving up more of my lane to no end and eventually getting squished between them and the guy on my left so I kicked their driver's side door. The look on that guy's face was priceless. I'm pretty sure he thought he hit me, and got back into his lane in a hurry. I felt bad for about half a second until I realized that while I was riding as aggressively-defensive as I could, in rush hour you can't always stay ahead of the pack. Sometimes you just have to let your presence be known and if the horn, being in direct line of sight, or the loud rear end straight pipes weren't doing the trick then the sound of something hitting his door was just as good.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Geirskogul posted:

I will never own a bike for this reason. I'm fully convinced I'm going to get mowed down by some texting idiot in an SUV the first time I take my bug out of the neighborhood.

I had to go out to rural CO yesterday to support one of our clinics and on my way out there I saw an older Toyota truck broken down on the side of the road. The problem was that his entire front end was smashed. I was guessing a cow or something, on my way back about 50 feet in before where the truck was, I saw the Elk. I can only guess that it was probably 5 foot tall at the shoulders and at least 800 pounds. It was in the ditch, so theoretically the truck won, but my god I can't imagine that collision.

Also, I saw this hilarious piece of poo poo on my way out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Geirskogul posted:

Exactly why I will never consider owning a motorcycle in Washington. gently caress that. They tried to kill me enough times in my giant [silver :v:] boat car, the last thing I need is to be smaller and more easily killed.