Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stegoceras
Oct 21, 2011

Numb's no good, but it sure beats the hurt
No way I really appreciate it! Pixels were always one of those things that I desperately wanted to try but felt like it would be too much to learn, so every bit of critique helps. I re ally like the high contrast correction you did, I knew something was off but I couldn't put my finger on it. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*

poemdexter posted:

Hey TemporalParadox, I totally stole your assets for my hobby prototype since they were so pretty. If you're interested in working on something is a purely hobby way meaning do whatever work whenever with 0 commitment, please let me know. Oryx tileset only goes so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iJfUmn5p9o

Oh, I never noticed this but how flattering.
I've been pretty busy, but if there's still something in particular you need send me a PM and who knows, I might be free and bored some evening. No promises though.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

stegoceras posted:

I literally just started making pixel art, trying to find a good program on the mac for animating. I've got aseprite but I'm having a lot of trouble figuring it out because I'm computer illiterate.
I made these in Photoshop, just to try it out... I'm not super happy with them. I'd love to try making a game one day.

these are cute!

Happy sun Jewel convinced me to stick with pixel art for a game I'm working on! So hello pixel thread

Currently its 320x240 and 4 colors in an effort to keep artistic demands to a minimum & focus on the programming/writing as much as possible. Here are some portraits:

as they go right >>>> they get more recent, and the bottom is an example of my progression. Its really proving difficult to make them more serious (the games tone is quite somber) while trying to keep the charm

wip background:

AND PUT IT ALL TOGETHER (carefully cropped in front of code so you know its some serious poo poo):

Jewel
May 2, 2009

_jink posted:

Happy sun Jewel convinced me to stick with pixel art for a game I'm working on! So hello pixel thread

Hi!! Happy sun is best sun.

Ghosts: 10

So are you gonna try 'n stick with 4 colors through the entire game? Seems like a good idea. Also, have you tried shifting the colors in the forest? Could look neat with it fading into darkness at the back. Also re:Portraits, the first three on the top can't help but remind me of Skullgirls' artstyle somehow, even though it's not really similar to any of the characters? Skullgirls is one of my favorite games visually so that's a good sign though!

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

Jewel posted:

Ghosts: 10

So are you gonna try 'n stick with 4 colors through the entire game? Seems like a good idea. Also, have you tried shifting the colors in the forest? Could look neat with it fading into darkness at the back. Also re:Portraits, the first three on the top can't help but remind me of Skullgirls' artstyle somehow, even though it's not really similar to any of the characters? Skullgirls is one of my favorite games visually so that's a good sign though!

Ya, sticking to 4 colors in the increasingly nebulous belief that fewer colors means less work.

Like this?

Had to dither since the trees in silhouette looked lighter next to all that black.

~tbh~ it looks like a night shot of the same picture to me & not clearly superior. And I'm hesitant to start getting too much into dithering as that path leads to some very dark time consuming places.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

_jink posted:

Ya, sticking to 4 colors in the increasingly nebulous belief that fewer colors means less work.

Like this?

Had to dither since the trees in silhouette looked lighter next to all that black.

~tbh~ it looks like a night shot of the same picture to me & not clearly superior. And I'm hesitant to start getting too much into dithering as that path leads to some very dark time consuming places.

Mmh. Tough decision yeah, I mostly wanted to see which looked better, but you're right, they're about equal. Go with whatever's easier really :v:

barge
Jun 12, 2006

I know it was ages ago but i hope you ended up going with the lighter one it looks a whole lot better!

I started doing some stuff for a friends game and decided to give pixel art a try and it is a lot of fun so far. I've always struggled with colors and I think having to select them beforehand and worry about how they'll interact with each other has actually made me a lot better.

here area couple of the character portraits from it and one of the area select pictures (none of them are actually finished yet though):

AfroSpatula
Jan 1, 2007

Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
It's an avatar you see.
I just did a 125 image series of abstract pixel art, and was wondering if posting a few here (or the whole thing) would be kosher.

For a touch of content, the first and last images of the series.

AfroSpatula fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 21, 2012

Jewel
May 2, 2009

AfroSpatula posted:

I just did a 125 image series of abstract pixel art, and was wondering if posting a few here (or the whole thing) would be kosher.

I know it's not meant for this, but since it's made for SA it could be allowed? How about trying to upload it to the LP Test Poster at http://lpix.org/sslptest/

That's usually used in the sandcastle thread to link a lot of images and text at once without cluttering up a thread. In theory if you host them all via imgur it shouldn't use any bandwidth at all.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.

These are excellent and I'd love to see a finished game with its art assets made by you.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

This is giving me a King of Dragon Pass vibe. Great work!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I know it's not digital but I think the effort of cutting each pixel out by hand makes up for it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Here's some sort of horrible clown abomination I made

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Pixelation secret santa gift

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Excellent! The antler texture is great.

barge
Jun 12, 2006

Ah thanks guys. That looks really cool exclamation marx, I love your palette it works amazingly well with those textures

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Thanks! I was a bit worried about the palette because I had to work from a laptop, wasn't sure how accurate the colours would be.

Here are all the gifts, some great work in there

this is what I was working on before the moose lady, but I thought the composition was lacking. Also I can't draw robots.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

I'm working on a little pet project with my fiance and started on our protagonist tonight. I used to do pixel art all the time when I was younger but it was limited to making new pokemon trainer sprites (from scratch at least!) so I'm a newbie. Can I get some critique?

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Amaya posted:

I'm working on a little pet project with my fiance and started on our protagonist tonight. I used to do pixel art all the time when I was younger but it was limited to making new pokemon trainer sprites (from scratch at least!) so I'm a newbie. Can I get some critique?

For improving your walk cycle have the body bob up and down being lowest when the feet are stretched out(extreme position) and highest when they pass across each other(passing position).

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Like this?

Here's another also:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Seeing as I was a bit bored today, decided to have some fun.

This was a rough work in progress, I wanted to get the flat colors done.

Almost done.

This is Bad Box Art Megaman which was in Street Fighter x Tekken.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Amaya posted:

Like this?

Here's another also:

More. Have the entire body move up and down.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I am doing an absolutely terrible job with this hair.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Teim posted:

I think you'll be helped a lot by determining where the light is coming from. Right now it looks like it's coming from dead ahead, which is only useful if the viewer is a headlight. :)

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

Teim posted:

Not necessarily pixel art, but this should help you determine how you want to differentiate your values and create hair textures.
http://www.proko.com/how-to-draw-hair/

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Octorok posted:

Not necessarily pixel art, but this should help you determine how you want to differentiate your values and create hair textures.
http://www.proko.com/how-to-draw-hair/

Thanks for that, I always feel like hair is were I'm weakest... well that and shading, so when I combine the two my brain melts.

In the meantime I cleaned up a lot of my lines and curves and now he looks rounder. I might redo the top of his hair too..

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.
8 colors + mandatory bobbing

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Triangle posted:

Can you please tell me more about this because it looks dope.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

Triangle posted:

that handhair is cool as gently caress, but it would be better off without the zero-effort idle animation bob.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Scut posted:

Can you please tell me more about this because it looks dope.

It is Midna from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Looks very dope, but I agree the idle needs some work.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

So I'm starting a new game and I decided to sprite the main character. This is the first black outlined sprite I've done (I prefer using coloured). I really like the shape of my sprite but I'm not sure on the shading. What does anyone think of it?

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Hello! Figured I'd try spriting a character of mine. I was never good at this but here we go. Also I don't have a clue on how to animate >_>

Here's a sketch of him/her if anyone's interested.

edit.
Jumping and stuff! It's starting to look ok :O

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 9, 2013

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Oh man that's hella cute! In the animation department: you can improve your walks and runs dramatically if you have more of a "down" position. When walking or running, the foot hits the ground and then the knee bends as the weight transfers. You've got the "up" position in there in the run cycle (and a tiny one in the walk), where the foot pushes up and off, but if you balance it out with a down position, it'll have more suggestion of weight and springiness. In the book The Animator's Survival Kit, it shows how the head of someone walking/running makes kind of a sine wave, so it passes first below, then above the starting position with each stride.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I had to look at this every day in college.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

neonnoodle posted:

Oh man that's hella cute! In the animation department: you can improve your walks and runs dramatically if you have more of a "down" position. When walking or running, the foot hits the ground and then the knee bends as the weight transfers. You've got the "up" position in there in the run cycle (and a tiny one in the walk), where the foot pushes up and off, but if you balance it out with a down position, it'll have more suggestion of weight and springiness. In the book The Animator's Survival Kit, it shows how the head of someone walking/running makes kind of a sine wave, so it passes first below, then above the starting position with each stride.
Cheers for the feedback. Yeah, that's the book I'm trying to learn from. Is this better? The walking one will probably be a wading-through-water-and-poop-thing since it kinda looks like he/she's having trouble getting forward :P
old > new >

I tried adding another frame but that screwed up the entire thing and lowering the down position even more made the whole thing look jagged. drat them pesky pixels and everyone one of them having to make such a difference :argh:

Oh, did a quick-climb thingie as well!

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 9, 2013

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Woah this is soooooo nice! Have you got a blog for this stuff?

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

It's ain't particularly artsy, but I've been going for a retro-game mission map kind of feel here, and I'm finally almost happy with the result. Most of the menu stuff is placeholder, just wanted to see how it would look with some kind of HUD overlay.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Doesn't have to be artsy. I really like the layout design. Nothing too distracting, pleasant on the eyes. You'd be surprised most games have pretty poo poo UI menus.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Scut posted:

Woah this is soooooo nice! Have you got a blog for this stuff?
Thanks, man. Too lazy to start a blog >_>

If anyone knows any good bear anatomy sites/books/whatever, please tell. My bear looks like a fricking warthog :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.
Hahahah that's a really great bear!