Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

We already knew this, but a new Torment game is happening, but it won't be Planescape. It'll be set in Monte Cook's new Numenara setting, which I don't really know anything about, but still can't help but feel disappointed in. Half of the novelty of the original was the Planescape setting, which was very clearly not similar to the standard high fantasy of, say, Baldur's Gate and really all the rest of the D&D games. Hopefully it'll be a novel setting, instead of another high fantasy setting with some grimdark or whatnot mixed in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

We already knew this, but a new Torment game is happening, but it won't be Planescape. It'll be set in Monte Cook's new Numenara setting, which I don't really know anything about, but still can't help but feel disappointed in. Half of the novelty of the original was the Planescape setting, which was very clearly not similar to the standard high fantasy of, say, Baldur's Gate and really all the rest of the D&D games. Hopefully it'll be a novel setting, instead of another high fantasy setting with some grimdark or whatnot mixed in it.

I'm happy enough they're making a CRPG in the vein of Torment, but I still don't see why they need the name. Looking up Numenara, it almost sounds closer to something like Eberron than Planescape, which isn't bad in itself, but one of the best things about the original Torment was just how abstract and weird the setting was. You generally don't see worldbuilding on that level anywhere in gaming these days, even in stuff like Bioshock.

Anyway, I'm about reaching my Kickstarter limit. I've already backed like 10 games and none of them are out yet. Unless they show some truly inspiring gameplay footage, I don't see myself pledging for this.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 9, 2013

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

GrandpaPants posted:

So it's not a Planescape game not being made by the people who made Planescape: Torment? I don't get it. Also is this how inexile is going to keep funding themselves, by cranking out Kickstarter campaigns?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm happy enough they're making a CRPG in the vein of Torment, but I still don't see why they need the name. Looking up Numenara, it almost sounds closer to something like Eberron than Planescape, which isn't bad in itself, but one of the best things about the original Torment was just how abstract and weird the setting was. You generally don't see worldbuilding on that level anywhere in gaming these days, even in stuff like Bioshock.

I think the idea is a more obviously scifi-ish Dying Earth.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
There's a more in-depth interview about it here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/09/planescape-torment-sequel/

It still doesn't get into why they bought the name, but my guess is it allows them to do interviews just like that. Talking that openly about their Torment spiritual sequel would be a very bad idea if they didn't own the name because it would be inviting a lawsuit. I couldn't say who would win the lawsuit, but nobody likes to blatantly invite one when there's another option. If they didn't buy the name, they'd have to be a lot quieter about the Torment ties, and this would instead be just some RPG collaboration between Brian Fargo and Monte Cook.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

seorin posted:

There's a more in-depth interview about it here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/09/planescape-torment-sequel/

It still doesn't get into why they bought the name, but my guess is it allows them to do interviews just like that. Talking that openly about their Torment spiritual sequel would be a very bad idea if they didn't own the name because it would be inviting a lawsuit. I couldn't say who would win the lawsuit, but nobody likes to blatantly invite one when there's another option. If they didn't buy the name, they'd have to be a lot quieter about the Torment ties, and this would instead be just some RPG collaboration between Brian Fargo and Monte Cook.

After reading this, it really sounds like buying up the Torment name is a marketing conceit designed in order to drive people to the Kickstarter. However, I'm honestly not sure how successful it will be given that people are already getting a bit (a lot?) of Kickstarter fatigue and have invested in several projects with nothing to show yet. Espescially since inexile already has one outstanding game. I'd be surprised if the money earned from the New Torment Kickstarter wouldn't go more into keeping the lights on at inexile while they work on Wasteland 2 than be put aside for Torment 2.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Monte Cook? Oh christ, pass. I wasn't thrilled with the spiritual sequel angle to begin with, because a lot of Torment's appeal was how it worked with the setting, particularly its exploration of the power of philosophy and belief. This though? Barf. Cook is a hack who shouldn't be allowed near a pen.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bieeardo posted:

Monte Cook? Oh christ, pass. I wasn't thrilled with the spiritual sequel angle to begin with, because a lot of Torment's appeal was how it worked with the setting, particularly its exploration of the power of philosophy and belief. This though? Barf. Cook is a hack who shouldn't be allowed near a pen.

Cook was one of the main writers/designers of Planescape, though (the setting, not the game) and it looks like that's also the role he's playing here, though?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Cook was one of the main writers/designers of Planescape, though (the setting, not the game) and it looks like that's also the role he's playing here, though?

That was Zeb Cook. Monte just wrote supplements after the setting was released. Fargo's puffing him up a bit.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Megazver posted:

That was Zeb Cook. Monte just wrote supplements after the setting was released. Fargo's puffing him up a bit.

Suddenly this seems a lot more like a shady cash grab. Do you think this stuff will get out and force Fargo to back off or do you think people will go "hey anything with the name Torment on it is fine with me"?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Al! posted:

Suddenly this seems a lot more like a shady cash grab. Do you think this stuff will get out and force Fargo to back off or do you think people will go "hey anything with the name Torment on it is fine with me"?

Well, Monte wrote like eight supplements for it and this Numenera setting got, like, a billion dollars on Kickstarter a few months ago and sounds kinda interesting on its own, it's just that Monte is not *the* Planescape designer. Still, I am actually okay with using the Torment name for a game that's "hey, we're totally subverting fantasy tropes and doing lots of dialogue and stuff". And they got Colin McComb and they'll probably have Chris Avellone as a stretch goal, which is more important in my view than their source material.

Heck, I wouldn't mind if they did an entirely different exotic setting for every game in the series. A kind of a non-poo poo Final Fantasy.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Even if he's not ultimately responsible for Planescape as we know it, I still have a high opinion of Monte Cook as a designer. I attended a seminar of his a few years ago, and I have friends that work with him professionally, and he really knows what he's doing at least in terms of polished game mechanics. That he's working with Brian Fargo to transition the P&P rules to a CRPG is a very good sign.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Al! posted:

Personally, I'm highly suspicious of inXile's ability to fulfil their promises. In particular, Double Fine - who are far more experienced than inXile - is making a much less demanding game on a similar budget, yet they've already run into money/time issues.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I have to say, I'm a little iffy on funding a second big RPG when the first one is still no where NEAR released.

coffeetable posted:

Personally, I'm highly suspicious of inXile's ability to fulfil their promises. In particular, Double Fine - who are far more experienced than inXile - is making a much less demanding game on a similar budget, yet they've already run into money/time issues.

I'm also a little worried about this. A big RPG like Wasteland 2 or Project: Eternity seems like it would be at least an order of magnitude more content and complexity then a old-school Lucasarts style Adventure game. Either Double Fine is using their money/time really inefficiently, or I'm worried for W2/P:E.

:ohdear:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Fintilgin posted:

I have to say, I'm a little iffy on funding a second big RPG when the first one is still no where NEAR released.

I'm also a little worried about this. A big RPG like Wasteland 2 or Project: Eternity seems like it would be at least an order of magnitude more content and complexity then a old-school Lucasarts style Adventure game. Either Double Fine is using their money/time really inefficiently, or I'm worried for W2/P:E.

:ohdear:

See, I'm willing to cut Obsidian some slack because they've been making RPG-variants for going on ten years now and I can imagine they've got the process down pat. Also because rope kid/Josh Sawyer seems as down-to-earth a developer as they come.

inXile's history meanwhile doesn't really inspire confidence: they had Bard's Tale in 2004, which was mediocre at best, and Hunted was straight-up bad. Everything else they've done has been a mobile/XBLA game.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Uh, Double Fine is working on other games right now, too (The Cave at least, and certainly other unannounced projects). I think it's a bit early for the doom and gloom.

We went over all this, "inXile has a poor track record," stuff during the Wasteland 2 kickstarter, but really, Double Fine isn't all that different. They had Psychonauts way back when, but since then they've had Brutal Legend and a bunch of XBLA games. Sure, Bard's Tale was no Psychonauts, but I really don't understand the hate for it. It was flawed, but enjoyable, which is all I want out of a medium sized company.

I think it's just the Molyneux effect. Brian Fargo talks things up too much, and some people are starting to realize that the games they're imagining are not the games that will be produced. If you go in with more realistic expectations, chances are the games will be fine. If you expect them to be better than the classics, you're probably going to be disappointed.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'll really kick myself if the oft-prophetised high profile kickstarter failure is Wasteland 2. Since the campaign ended Fargo has shifted from humble, inspiring game developer to industry luvvie, him already announcing a new game if dubious pedigree is really worrying.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The first high profile failure is already known and it's Code Hero. I'm not completely concerned for Wasteland 2, but not exactly optimistic either considering the studio's track record.

vvvv how would you describe it?

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 9, 2013

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
How is Code Hero "high profile"?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I don't know about the average Kickstarter Contributor, but Code Hero's spectacular failure (I haven't seen a single thing from it) makes me far less likely to kickstart anything software related in the future.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

I don't know about the average Kickstarter Contributor, but Code Hero's spectacular failure (I haven't seen a single thing from it) makes me far less likely to kickstart anything software related in the future.

The thing is not to back on promises alone. Look at prior experience, feasibility and how much reputation the developer has invested in the project. Code Hero promised a shitload in a ridiculously short timeframe on the backs of people who'd never put out a game before. It was going to be a gently caress-up from day one.

e: In my mind DFA and P:E have the best chances of turning out well, as they're experienced teams who didn't promise that much. Planetary Annihilation and Wasteland 2 are unlikely to meet expectations, while Godus and Elite are going to be out-and-out disasters.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 9, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Did you guys see this? Kickstarter released a cool infographic type website about the stuff that happened in 2012. Of interest:
http://www.kickstarter.com/year/2012#category

A chart of how many kickstarters were launched in each category, how many were successful, and how much money was pledged.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Did you guys see this? Kickstarter released a cool infographic type website about the stuff that happened in 2012. Of interest:
http://www.kickstarter.com/year/2012#category

A chart of how many kickstarters were launched in each category, how many were successful, and how much money was pledged.

$317 million total. Kickstarter takes 5%, so they've made $16 million in revenue this year.

I'm pretty sure Kickstarter is the greatest kickstarter success.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

coffeetable posted:

$317 million total. Kickstarter takes 5%, so they've made $16 million in revenue this year.

I'm pretty sure Kickstarter is the greatest kickstarter success.

$15,989,331.45. I'm in New York and they're looking for HR people, maybe I should apply.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Orzo posted:

How is Code Hero "high profile"?

At the time it finished, it was one of the top 10 most funded projects in the site's history. Of course, later things in 2012 blew that mark away big time.

SquadronROE posted:

Code Hero promised to teach you how to code.. using a gun.. in a quasi FPS environment. The whole concept fundamentally makes no sense. That's the reason not to kickstart things like it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SquadronROE posted:

Not that it isn't going to be a scam at the end of the day, but he's apparently posted updates on his website:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121069-Code-Hero-Kickstarter-Goes-Bad-UPDATED

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Install Gentoo posted:

At the time it finished, it was one of the top 10 most funded projects in the site's history. Of course, later things in 2012 blew that mark away big time.

Code Hero promised to teach you how to code.. using a gun.. in a quasi FPS environment. The whole concept fundamentally makes no sense. That's the reason not to kickstart things like it.

You're right, and I feel pretty foolish for being duped into giving money for it. However, I was Ready To Believe. Now I'm far more careful about who I throw money at.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
This Kotaku article about the American McGee kickstarter is pretty hilarious: http://kotaku.com/5973849/american-mcgee-defends-his-kickstarter-game-says-its-100-finished

The game is 100% finished. But not complete. But yes also 100% finished. And missing some key features.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
The funny thing about Code Hero is that the same type of people that think you can 'learn to code' by playing an FPS game that makes you modify object properties or whatever are the same type of people backing and/or making poorly planned kickstarter gaming projects with absolutely no idea how difficult it is to actually make games. So, those people--namely, people who don't understand that programming is difficult, back Code Hero.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The whole concept of Code Hero is like if Guitar Hero was played through a Typing of the Dead interface. It's simply not going to teach you about what you're supposed to be trying to learn. Not like Guitar Hero really teaches you to play guitar either but at least the motions were somewhat related.

Typing of the Dead owns of course, but it also doesn't purport to teach you how to fight infected hordes.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Install Gentoo posted:

Typing of the Dead owns of course, but it also doesn't purport to teach you how to fight infected hordes.

What? All that time in Club Sega... wasted?

In fairness to the Code Hero backers, I can imagine that a FPS used to teach the very basics of coding could actually work. It just seems like the guy they gave their money to was either woefully inept or a snake oil salesman.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Reminder that Star Command had 2 Kickstarters and still isn't out yet.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Harlock posted:

Reminder that Star Command had 2 Kickstarters and still isn't out yet.

Holy poo poo people, think for at least 10 minutes about what you want to name your game, please.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Holy poo poo people, think for at least 10 minutes about what you want to name your game, please.

Yeah, who commands stars. Controlling stars is where it's at

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Azhais posted:

Yeah, who commands stars. Controlling stars is where it's at

Outside of that title being incredibly generic and forgettable, I work for disney so it always pings the wrong libraries in my brain.

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Install Gentoo posted:

The whole concept of Code Hero is like if Guitar Hero was played through a Typing of the Dead interface. It's simply not going to teach you about what you're supposed to be trying to learn. Not like Guitar Hero really teaches you to play guitar either but at least the motions were somewhat related.

I don't think it was as far off as all that. You were directly interacting with javascript. I mean, it wasn't anything like creating an entire program from scratch, but you were learning about the basic concepts, commands, functions, data types, if-then constructs, etc. I guess I would say that it wouldn't really teach how how to code, but you'd at least learn something about what code is, and give you a good place to start.

Of course it was still an absurd idea for a first game project.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

XboxPants posted:

I don't think it was as far off as all that. You were directly interacting with javascript. I mean, it wasn't anything like creating an entire program from scratch, but you were learning about the basic concepts, commands, functions, data types, if-then constructs, etc. I guess I would say that it wouldn't really teach how how to code, but you'd at least learn something about what code is, and give you a good place to start.

Of course it was still an absurd idea for a first game project.

You were directly interacting with a bastardized dialect of javascript using preformatted commands within an utterly ridiculous interface. It ends up being useful for learning to play Code Hero and little else.

I mean, a bare web page with a list of instructions would be way more useful for learning to program than the whole code hero thing.It's just ultimately not very useful. The people making it should have probably slept on the idea a bit more before tossing up the kickstarter.

Games that teach you to program do exist, see http://www.brasslantern.org/reviews/text/informschoolgranade.html http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/zcode/School.z5 for example. It's a text adventure that teaches you how to use a language that can be used to write text adventures.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

seorin posted:

Even if he's not ultimately responsible for Planescape as we know it, I still have a high opinion of Monte Cook as a designer. I attended a seminar of his a few years ago, and I have friends that work with him professionally, and he really knows what he's doing at least in terms of polished game mechanics. That he's working with Brian Fargo to transition the P&P rules to a CRPG is a very good sign.
Because if there's anything that "Torment spiritual sequel" screams, it's "polished game mechanics" and "transition the P&P rules to a CRPG" rather than something like "a story that isn't poo poo" or "evocative writing."

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Because if there's anything that "Torment spiritual sequel" screams, it's "polished game mechanics" and "transition the P&P rules to a CRPG" rather than something like "a story that isn't poo poo" or "evocative writing."

The interview linked above mentioned that they're prioritizing story and that players will be able to skip almost every combat, but don't let a little thing like that get in the way of making GBS threads all over a project the day it's announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Brian Fargo is going to pioneer, oversaturate, and singlehandedly kill the market for isometric RPGs all over again.