Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

I haven't used their wifi in years. Mostly because I rarely ever use public wifi. I need to set up my college's VPN again so maybe.

I was only there for an eye appointment and the 3G didn't work too well up on the 3rd floor. That was okay because I watched a movie instead. I got three hours of screen on-time at FULL BRIGHTNESS. Holy poo poo I love LCD screens. I even had a full day's worth of battery too.

Fuuuuuck. Three hours of screen time would kill a Gnex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

Fuuuuuck. Three hours of screen time would kill a Gnex.

I've never seen three hours of screen time out of a phone before so I was pretty surprised. I'd say Straight Talk AT&T in Omaha, NE is pretty good, if not better than post-paid Sprint.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Have AT&T. Going on a cruise next month and while I shouldn't be thinking about internets, I know I'll get bored sometime in those 8 days so I am thinking about internets.

Ship's wifi seems pretty expensive. It says there are some type of AT&T (and others) repeaters on the ship so you can use your phones while underway but it looks like AT&T is going to charge the Bahamas rate unless you're in port.

Is there some cheaper way I can get some data on a prepaid sim and use my AT&T Inspire as a hotspot for laptop? Not too interested in voice or text. (Inspire is sim unlocked, rooted and rom has a working hotspot)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 9, 2013

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Roaming rates on cruises are goddamned ridiculous, since the only uplink you have (via the ship) is through a satellite when it's not in port. You're a hostage. I'd be shocked if there was any way around the high rates.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'd forget about it. When I was in the Navy we had satellite internet for the whole ship which was like EDGE speed equivalent, and the only voice cellphones were these satellite things that cost something like $100 per minute.

Just bring DVDs and condoms, that's what a cruise is all about.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So I am trying to get my fam on Ting and I am having a hard time figuring out how to order all three of our phones at the same time. Do I have to order the individually? I guess the individual would keep everyone responsible for how much their phone costs.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Herr Tog posted:

So I am trying to get my fam on Ting and I am having a hard time figuring out how to order all three of our phones at the same time. Do I have to order the individually? I guess the individual would keep everyone responsible for how much their phone costs.
Hi, I work for Ting.

Yes, unfortunately, you do have to order each device individually. You'll sign up for service and get a login when you order your first device. Once you've got that done, just stay logged in and order the other 2 devices and we'll re-use your shipping and billing info. (though you can change it for each device if you want)

Our support's open for another 2 hours as of this writing if you have more questions. We keep hold times at sub-10 seconds and everyone on the floor can answer any question you have, no tiers. :) (support closes at 8pm Eastern)

My favourite thing to do with Ting is to recommend you sign up for a $0/month plan and just let us deal with billing you however much you've used. If you're buying for everyone in the family, we do have easily accessed drill-down stats for which phone used how many minutes/megs/messages in the Ting dashboard, and you can give each phone a nickname so it becomes easy to find out who's using the most.

edit: follow this link for $50 off a device or $50 service credit. :) I wish I had a special goon coupon I could hand out. That'd be neat. (though it'd have the same $50 effect) That's just a generic one that points back to us as the source, rather than an advertising partner.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 10, 2013

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Thank you Ting guy! you are the motherfucking best~!

Using coupon, applying. Just gonna wait to sit down with the fam and explain why they are paying for phones, we usually get the free ones, and when the switch will occur. Thanks a bunch~!

Last question is if I want to upgrade a phone I just order it and activate it and cancel the other one right?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Herr Tog posted:

Thank you Ting guy! you are the motherfucking best~!

Using coupon, applying. Just gonna wait to sit down with the fam and explain why they are paying for phones, we usually get the free ones, and when the switch will occur. Thanks a bunch~!

Last question is if I want to upgrade a phone I just order it and activate it and cancel the other one right?
You know, upgrading a phone within the Ting service is something I hadn't thought of. The vast majority of number porting we do is from outside Ting, not within. I'll check with the support guys tomorrow and tell you, but in the worst case scenario you'll just have to give a call to support and let them handle it for you.

Also please note: coupon codes only work for your first device. :shobon:

(also please note I'm only working at Ting for the rest of this month, so in a few weeks you'll have to rely on the support number instead of a goon :shobon: )

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

LiquidRain posted:

(also please note I'm only working at Ting for the rest of this month, so in a few weeks you'll have to rely on the support number instead of a goon :shobon: )

I am so hosed.

No seriously if everyone is half as nice and helpful as you I should be good.

Cinereus
Feb 15, 2008

LiquidRain posted:

You know, upgrading a phone within the Ting service is something I hadn't thought of. The vast majority of number porting we do is from outside Ting, not within. I'll check with the support guys tomorrow and tell you, but in the worst case scenario you'll just have to give a call to support and let them handle it for you.

Also please note: coupon codes only work for your first device. :shobon:

Guess I better ask this while I still can then, my parents are currently on Virgin Mobile but want something with more voice coverage. I know Ting is another Sprint MVNO, but does it roam on anything for voice unlike VM? That and the possibly cheaper bills might be enough to push them over to paying for a new device.

Thanks for all your help though Liquid Rain, think you've been a great advocate for Ting

nougatmachine
May 19, 2011
http://news.walmart.com/news-archive/2013/01/08/walmart-straight-talk-to-offer-the-iphone-on-its-45-no-contract-unlimited-plan

So, presumably this means they'll have sorted things out with apple to give them a carrier profile, and people will no longer need to mess around with weird stuff to get MMS to work. At least, you would hope...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

nougatmachine posted:

http://news.walmart.com/news-archive/2013/01/08/walmart-straight-talk-to-offer-the-iphone-on-its-45-no-contract-unlimited-plan

So, presumably this means they'll have sorted things out with apple to give them a carrier profile, and people will no longer need to mess around with weird stuff to get MMS to work. At least, you would hope...

Wait. When the iPhone hit on Verizon and Sprint, both carriers removed things or changed things to accommodate. Not to mention service got bad (on Sprint at least) because of it.

I'm not 100% sure if this is a good thing very much considering what happened on Sprint.

Also, is this the GSM or CDMA plan? Are they going to advertise the GSM plan now in-store, I wonder?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
^^^^^ I'd guess it'll be on at&t GSM and they'll be selling unlocked iPhones. But that's just my assumption.

nougatmachine posted:

At least StraightTalk will finally offer nano-SIM cards.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Wagonburner posted:

Have AT&T. Going on a cruise next month and while I shouldn't be thinking about internets, I know I'll get bored sometime in those 8 days so I am thinking about internets.

Ship's wifi seems pretty expensive. It says there are some type of AT&T (and others) repeaters on the ship so you can use your phones while underway but it looks like AT&T is going to charge the Bahamas rate unless you're in port.

Is there some cheaper way I can get some data on a prepaid sim and use my AT&T Inspire as a hotspot for laptop? Not too interested in voice or text. (Inspire is sim unlocked, rooted and rom has a working hotspot)

Which ports are you going to? A few of them will have free/cheap WiFi in port, so it's a good time to catch up on the news and/or download some movies, etc. while you're drinking a beer.

I remember being completely unable to find any WiFi at all in my few hours in Jamaica, whereas free, fast WiFi was all over the place in Grand Cayman.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Herr Tog posted:

I am so hosed.

No seriously if everyone is half as nice and helpful as you I should be good.
If they're not as helpful as me they need to be hauled in for re-training. :) We specifically aim for good customer service above all else; no hold times on the phone, no tiers or departments in customer service (we can help with apps, activations, billing, phone selection, phone setup, etc as we actually have all the phones we sell on-hand for support to use), and our reps aren't put on timers or call counters. (the pressure to perform is in their feedback score) Support also has direct feedback to the developers, all they have to do is walk down a set of stairs.

I asked about upgrading a phone, and it turns out we don't have a formal process for that yet, but if you do call into support we'll make it happen somehow. :)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Welp. It looks like my number was used by someone who had an international plan and called Mexico a lot.

I just got two calls from someone in Mexico. Since I don't have an international ST plan, I haven't answered or even texted. :v: I'm not really sure what to do here.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

LiquidRain posted:

If they're not as helpful as me they need to be hauled in for re-training. :) We specifically aim for good customer service above all else; no hold times on the phone, no tiers or departments in customer service (we can help with apps, activations, billing, phone selection, phone setup, etc as we actually have all the phones we sell on-hand for support to use), and our reps aren't put on timers or call counters. (the pressure to perform is in their feedback score) Support also has direct feedback to the developers, all they have to do is walk down a set of stairs.

I asked about upgrading a phone, and it turns out we don't have a formal process for that yet, but if you do call into support we'll make it happen somehow. :)

This is all great news and I thank you again.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
My wife and I decided to cancel our Sprint plan ($200 bucks to get out and it's still worth it) and to use 2 Ipod Touches since Wifi is everywhere these days along with 2 cheap cheap cheap prepaid phones for emergencies.

I was told that either Net10 or Tracfone are the best bets for the prepaid phones/refills so I just wanted to confirm that with this thread before I settled on a carrier.

Thanks.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

1karus posted:

For anyone who is still using a Motorola Triumph, there is news of a partially working camera on CM9. Shouldn't be long before we have a fully working CM9 ROM.

http://androidforums.com/triumph-all-things-root/632984-dev-wip-cm9-camera-updated-1-1-2013-9-26am-mst.html

Jesus christ people still use the triumph? I gave up on it like may of last year when i bought a nexus s

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

1karus posted:

For anyone who is still using a Motorola Triumph, there is news of a partially working camera on CM9. Shouldn't be long before we have a fully working CM9 ROM.

http://androidforums.com/triumph-all-things-root/632984-dev-wip-cm9-camera-updated-1-1-2013-9-26am-mst.html

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=soft.kinoko.SilentCamera
This app apparently saves the photos. Hopefully it will all be fixed soon, it's been a long time coming.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Orange_Lazarus posted:

My wife and I decided to cancel our Sprint plan ($200 bucks to get out and it's still worth it) and to use 2 Ipod Touches since Wifi is everywhere these days along with 2 cheap cheap cheap prepaid phones for emergencies.

I was told that either Net10 or Tracfone are the best bets for the prepaid phones/refills so I just wanted to confirm that with this thread before I settled on a carrier.

Thanks.

If you don't need data and are basically planning on using your phones only in emergencies then look at T-Mobile's "pay as you go" plan. If you purchase a $100 refill then your minutes don't expire for a year and that applies to future refills as well (so you only need a $10 refill once a year afterwards to keep your account going). If you use your phones so little that you don't run through your initial $100/1000 minute refill for several years then it's probably the cheapest way to get phone service in the US.

There are two major downsides. One is that when you refill T-Mobile pay-as-you-go plans the cost per minute for the minutes the refill adds to your account varies depending on the size of the refill, so if you actually get low on minutes you'd want to get at least a $50 refill. The second is that each text message (sent or received) literally costs as much as a full minute of talk time but that's not unusual for pay as you go-type prepaid service.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Thanks.

If you're that occasional of a phone user, you might note that Talkatone (voice over IP app) from Android is also available for iPod https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/talkatone-free-phone-calls/id397648381?mt=8

And FreedomPop.com has $100 iPod sleeve that gives it extra battery and 500mb a month of free Wimax. http://www.freedompop.com/devices/freedom-sleeve-rocket-ipod-touch

It's like a super ghetto solution, but hey at worst it can make decent calls on Wifi and can even make calls over 4G in a pinch.

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died

Mister Snips posted:

Jesus christ people still use the triumph? I gave up on it like may of last year when i bought a nexus s

Yeah, I still have mine. I never had any of the crazy problems most of the people in this thread did.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Anyone with Straight Talk able to forward calls from their SIM card number to their Google Voice number? I could then use GV to filter out all the crazy people who call the SIM number.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

ThermoPhysical posted:

Welp. It looks like my number was used by someone who had an international plan and called Mexico a lot.

I just got two calls from someone in Mexico. Since I don't have an international ST plan, I haven't answered or even texted. :v: I'm not really sure what to do here.

You could probably answer, can't you? If ST works like any other phone in america you won't be charged money to answer the call, just to send out calls or texts.

Now if they don't know any english, then you have a different problem :)

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

blargle posted:

Anyone with Straight Talk able to forward calls from their SIM card number to their Google Voice number? I could then use GV to filter out all the crazy people who call the SIM number.

None of the prepaid carriers allow forwarding really. ST doesn't anyway.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
Anyone use comfi.com for T-mobile refills? Or any other recommendations on where to get them at a discount? CallingCard.com gives 1% or so back, but I got a 10% discount on a holiday deal previously and see others at 5% on retailmenot.com, but I'm not sure how trustworthy they are. I would love to pinch those pennies if I could~!

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Is there any chance Virgin will allow someone to use a Sprint phone (Galaxy Nexus)? Any tips on convincing them to do that for a customer?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Glimm posted:

Is there any chance Virgin will allow someone to use a Sprint phone (Galaxy Nexus)? Any tips on convincing them to do that for a customer?

Virgin Mobile (USA)? 0% chance, otherwise we'd all be doing that

Cuttlefish Party
Mar 18, 2011

Cuttlefish: GO.
(They've advanced quickly.)

LiquidRain posted:

edit: follow this link for $50 off a device or $50 service credit. :) I wish I had a special goon coupon I could hand out. That'd be neat. (though it'd have the same $50 effect) That's just a generic one that points back to us as the source, rather than an advertising partner.

Seriously Ting guy, you rock. Sorry to hear you're moving on.

Cinereus posted:

Guess I better ask this while I still can then, my parents are currently on Virgin Mobile but want something with more voice coverage. I know Ting is another Sprint MVNO, but does it roam on anything for voice unlike VM? That and the possibly cheaper bills might be enough to push them over to paying for a new device.

Maybe this got answered, but the Ting CSR I asked about this confirmed that Ting roams onto Verizon for voice (not data). This was important to my parents because they spend a chunk of the year in a place with Verizon coverage but not Sprint.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

MrBond posted:

You could probably answer, can't you? If ST works like any other phone in america you won't be charged money to answer the call, just to send out calls or texts.

Now if they don't know any english, then you have a different problem :)

This is good to know! Thanks for clearing it up!

Yeah, I'm thinking the language barrier would be a pretty big thing. They haven't called again though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

This is good to know! Thanks for clearing it up!

Yeah, I'm thinking the language barrier would be a pretty big thing. They haven't called again though.

Unless it's honestly impossible to get GV set up with straight talk you could just block'em.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
Hey LiquidRain, I've got a question about bringing a phone to Ting. I've been wanting to get off Virgin Mobile for a while now, but being a poor college student I can't really front the money for a new phone on whoever I end up going to at the moment. I see that you can bring certain sprint devices to Ting, including the Evo 3D, which is what I have on Virgin (absolutely identical hardware, though Virgin brands it as an Evo V 4g). Would it be possible to bring my Virgin activated Evo to Ting at all, or does the phone specifically have to be a former sprint issued phone? Thanks!

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

fralbjabar posted:

Hey LiquidRain, I've got a question about bringing a phone to Ting. I've been wanting to get off Virgin Mobile for a while now, but being a poor college student I can't really front the money for a new phone on whoever I end up going to at the moment. I see that you can bring certain sprint devices to Ting, including the Evo 3D, which is what I have on Virgin (absolutely identical hardware, though Virgin brands it as an Evo V 4g). Would it be possible to bring my Virgin activated Evo to Ting at all, or does the phone specifically have to be a former sprint issued phone? Thanks!
Sorry, only Sprint branded phones are allowed. :( We're restricted: we sure don't care where the device comes from, but Sprint wants to protect the other MVNOs.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 12, 2013

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe

1karus posted:

Yeah, I still have mine. I never had any of the crazy problems most of the people in this thread did.

I still use my Triumph too. I have a few annoying problems with it, but am running CM7 and in general it's fine. I'll probably be getting something else sometime between now and the summer, but no major complaints.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LiquidRain posted:

Sorry, only Sprint branded phones are allowed. :( We're restricted: we sure don't care where the device comes from, but Sprint wants to protect the other MVNOs.

Are y'all looking at expanding into agreements with other carriers? I love the idea of your business model, but god drat am I totally through with Sprint :(

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

The Entire Universe posted:

Are y'all looking at expanding into agreements with other carriers? I love the idea of your business model, but god drat am I totally through with Sprint :(
The company line on this is: We see Sprint as a bit of a comrade in arms. Sprint is sadly the only company of the big telcos that willingly acts as just a dumb carrier. Their CEO is on record (and off record in talks with our own CEO) as saying he doesn't care what your bits are doing, Sprint is fine simply being a pipe for data. If Ting fattens the pipe, Sprint is happy, and we're happy. The other carriers aren't happy with that idea.

My take: AT&T and Verizon are jerks. If they could offer us contracts that would let us successfully run a business, we would jump at it. Trust me, we really would, some folks nearly walked out of the first Ting meeting when it was introduced as an idea, in a complete rage that we'd be subject to CDMA carrier lock-in. Half the company thought it would never fly for that very reason. It was a never-ending topic until the boss put his foot down and simply said "we tried with the other guys, we'd be dead before we even shipped our first device, and we want to stay in this for the long run. Sprint is not only a good option, it's our only option for being successful."

Our bet is currently the same bet Sprint is making; that the LTE network will expand well and the pros of that will outweigh the cons of carrier lock-in and the years of dreadful network performance.

nougatmachine
May 19, 2011
So Straight Talk starts directly selling the iPhone...and they put it on Verizon. And they still have no nano-SIM cards available.

This is bananas.

Edit: holy wow, if you get the ST iPhone 5, it's apparently Verizon without LTE service. I feel like anybody who doesn't read the fine print on this is going to be very disappointed.

nougatmachine fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

nougatmachine posted:

So Straight Talk starts directly selling the iPhone...and they put it on Verizon. And they still have no nano-SIM cards available.

This is bananas.

Edit: holy wow, if you get the ST iPhone 5, it's apparently Verizon without LTE service. I feel like anybody who doesn't read the fine print on this is going to be very disappointed.

This article claims it's on at&t. But whichever it is, doesn't really matter. The VZW and at&t models of the iPhone 5 both have unlocked SIM slots for 3G. Also StraightTalk doesn't sell LTE access, so I don't think anyone expected that to change.

The StraightTalk iPhones must come with a nano-SIM or the Walmart employees trim SIMs in store, though I'd guess they'll start selling nano-SIMs soon (they should, they've had 4 months already to figure it out)

• Locked thread