Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
This thread is slowly becoming a confessions thread.

Everyone with a silver car, fess up now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Only one of my cars is silver! The other is gray :( My headlights are on all the time, even in daylight in clear weather.

As has been oft noted in this thread, the color wasn't my first choice, but the only cars my wife and I could find with the options we wanted happened to be silver and gray. I now understand why pickings are so slim in other colors. Of course, prior to this, we had 3 red cars, go figure.

Code Jockey posted:

Exactly why I will never consider owning a motorcycle in Washington. gently caress that. They tried to kill me enough times in my giant [silver :v:] boat car, the last thing I need is to be smaller and more easily killed.
Lane Errors (a fancy term for idiots merging?) is the #1 cause of motorcycle accidents in Washington, beating out even speeding and drunk riding.

grover fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 9, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I refuse to believe "locked wheel" isn't more prevalent. Layer Dan is the most common excuse I hear from every idiot with a bike who crashes.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

grover posted:

Only one of my cars is silver! The other is gray :( My headlights are on all the time, even in daylight in clear weather.

As has been oft noted in this thread, the color wasn't my first choice, but the only cars my wife and I could find with the options we wanted happened to be silver and gray. I now understand why pickings are so slim in other colors. Of course, prior to this, we had 3 red cars, go figure.
Lane Errors (a fancy term for idiots merging?) is the #1 cause of motorcycle accidents in Washington, beating out even speeding and drunk riding.

I believe it. I don't like driving around Seattle when the weather is inclement because enough idiots don't use their turn signals already. Add in reduce visibility and people thinking that their SUV is big enough to where they don't need headlights either and it's a wonder that we don't have more accidents than we already do.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
So who wants to buy my '72 Kawasaki F6 125 Enduro. It worked the last time I tried.. around '97. Hoses and electrics will likely need some help by now. It's 6v, and other than a rebuilt carb and essentials, all original with a lovely rattlecan paintjob atop of the faded factory.. :q:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

JP Money posted:

I refuse to believe "locked wheel" isn't more prevalent. Layer Dan is the most common excuse I hear from every idiot with a bike who crashes.

Given that the graph was specific to fatalities - and that you're hearing this from the people who are actually doing the crashing - I'd bet it's a more common cause of crashes, but a less common cause of fatalities.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Viggen posted:

So who wants to buy my '72 Kawasaki F6 125 Enduro. It worked the last time I tried.. around '97. Hoses and electrics will likely need some help by now. It's 6v, and other than a rebuilt carb and essentials, all original with a lovely rattlecan paintjob atop of the faded factory.. :q:

Sounds loving awesome! You know I actually probably would if geographical separation wasn't an issue.

Just wanted to chip in to say I give motorcyclists and trucks due respect. Other motorists in general actually. Unless you gently caress with me. You really don't want to do that. How I haven't copped a ..what is it, $10000 fine for road rage and various other things I don't know.
That reminds me. When I was in Autobarn I think it was I saw a hook attachment for a receiver hitch. Been debating on whether I should buy one. It may be useful for using the steel cable on, but the more interesting use is in car parks. I usually leave the hitch with the load leveling bar mount on because it's the shape of a sharpened wedge. Makes a mess of peoples cars who drive into my parking space. I was thinking the hook might mix things up a bit so instead of impaling their car outright it can tear a chunk out of it when they leave. Wish I knew what I did with the photos. Whenever I found a parked car attempting to become one with mine I'd take a picture making sure to get both cars and the position of the line in to shot so they can't pull some liability poo poo on me.

I'm sure that's terrible car stuff. I'm a horrible bastard at times :(

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

General_Failure posted:

I'm sure that's terrible car stuff. I'm a horrible bastard at times :(

Yes you are. I hate bashing my shins and knees on removable hitches sticking out from the back of trucks/SUVs when it's dark out. I'm just trying to walk through a parking lot, jerks t:mad:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Nocheez posted:

Yes you are. I hate bashing my shins and knees on removable hitches sticking out from the back of trucks/SUVs when it's dark out. I'm just trying to walk through a parking lot, jerks t:mad:

Yeah, I swear a little then think it's done worse to others. poo poo, that reminds me I have to take it off before I leave today. It's a travel day and I wouldn't put it past those Bartertown fuckers to steal it.

Also watch where you are going. Seriously. I could be a lot worse than a hitch. I actually have a tiny little dynamo / battery LED torch on my keyring for that sort of thing. Gets used all the time.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

General_Failure posted:

Sounds loving awesome! You know I actually probably would if geographical separation wasn't an issue.

It's fun, and a noisy little street/dirt legal 2 cycle. However, I know I am not a teenager anymore, and since I hurt just existing, I try not to propel myself at rocks with marginal protection these days.

However, that doesn't mean that you won't be fine. v:v:v

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Viggen posted:

It's fun, and a noisy little street/dirt legal 2 cycle. However, I know I am not a teenager anymore, and since I hurt just existing, I try not to propel myself at rocks with marginal protection these days.

However, that doesn't mean that you won't be fine. v:v:v

I hear you on that. I'm in my 30s now, and while my body is pretty hosed up it's also orders of magnitude better than it was for the last 20 odd years. I've gone from hating every moment I've drawn breath to kind of wanting to do all the things I couldn't / didn't want to do for various reasons. Sort of like a midlife crisis but I'm not trying to recapture any fondly remembered memories. I just want to actually do some stuff before I get too decrepit again. Being a mad bastard doesn't help either :lol:
Relatively speaking my body is still hosed but I'm learning about all these new things. It's like buying a reasonably priced used car. In just the last week I learned that heat and cold have more than boolean states for unpleasantness, and that I don't hate being submersed in water anymore because it doesn't feel horrible to me now. Also I'm not consciously aware of all my bones constantly, breathing doesn't make my lungs burn, and I don't have this constant urge to get away from my own skin.
gently caress bodies. seriously.

Terrible car stuff... um. Has anyone else seen the link to the RHD converted beetle? I'm not sure where I saw it. The gist of it is someone that shouldn't be allowed near anything sharp modified their beetle. The wonders including roughly splicing together a pedal cluster and converting it to RHD so it'd be exotic. Using 5 lug wheels on 4 lug hubs held on with a couple of bolts per wheel that somehow lined up, and various other atrocities. Somehow I think the fuel tank was propped up with a bit of wood for some reason too. If anyone remembers where this was posted, seriously please say. It was one of the worst things I have ever seen.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Sounds like standard air cooled shenanigans to me.

I'm personally a fan of dumbfucks burning themself on my stinger. Which is why my 58 is getting an unbaffled stinger put on it if it ever gets finished.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Terrible Robot posted:

It's the biggest (only) reason I have for probably never owning a motorcycle, even though I'd really love to. People are scary stupid on the road.

I could never do a motorcycle because I just couldn't deal with people apparently trying to kill you at all times while you are going highway speeds. It would be nice to be able to wear the same protective gear while bicycling. I got sideswiped this week while riding (yield to cyclist in lane when turning old lady :argh:) and the motorcycle police officer and I both agreed how regrettable it was that something like Iron Man armor wasn't available.

General_Failure posted:

Terrible car stuff... um. Has anyone else seen the link to the RHD converted beetle? I'm not sure where I saw it. The gist of it is someone that shouldn't be allowed near anything sharp modified their beetle. The wonders including roughly splicing together a pedal cluster and converting it to RHD so it'd be exotic. Using 5 lug wheels on 4 lug hubs held on with a couple of bolts per wheel that somehow lined up, and various other atrocities. Somehow I think the fuel tank was propped up with a bit of wood for some reason too. If anyone remembers where this was posted, seriously please say. It was one of the worst things I have ever seen.

This one?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

YES! Thanks. I didn't realise it was on AVD. I thought it was on thesamba. To everyone else, the posted photos are only a part of the horror.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Why the gently caress would you do this to a car? And it appears to be a 67 also judging by the knobs. It's a fat chick without the padded dash. Crisis averted.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Why the gently caress would you do this to a car? And it appears to be a 67 also judging by the knobs. It's a fat chick without the padded dash. Crisis averted.

What's wrong with S beetles? drat fun cars to drive. Also is the dash cover a U.S. only thing like with the Bays? Our dashes are metal.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

General_Failure posted:

Our dashes are metal.

All the better to blind you with for not getting an old Holden.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

General_Failure posted:

What's wrong with S beetles? drat fun cars to drive. Also is the dash cover a U.S. only thing like with the Bays? Our dashes are metal.

It's not a super though, its just a 69. Fat chicks are gross. They might be fun to drive, but I would never been seen with one :)

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Viggen posted:

All the better to blind you with for not getting an old Holden.

Yeah... no. All the old farts around here still drive theirs. I've said it somewhere before. Cars here don't die. No rust and no hills.

edit ^^^^veedubfreak. Don't know how I missed that. I was more concentrated on the horror. I mean poo poo, not only have I owned VWs I used to work at an ACVW mechanic in exchange for experience and use of the equipment. Saw some horrors there too but nothing like that.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 9, 2013

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Memento1979 posted:

At first glance I thought for sure the blue hose was covering a braided steel hose. It's not, is it.

:negative:

It's just an oil dump tube, it's not pressurized.

We can question choice of materials and how dumb it is to not have the drat thing clamped, but that's a pretty standard way to set up a dump line from a turbo to the oil pan.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

MikeyTsi posted:

We can question choice of materials and how dumb it is to not have the drat thing clamped, but that's a pretty standard way to set up a dump line from a turbo to the oil pan.

Paging TT. Paging TT.. pls repost your mayonnaise jar config.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Viggen posted:

Paging TT. Paging TT.. pls repost your mayonnaise jar config.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

I didn't realise those things worked on their side. Or is that the purpose of that photo?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

General_Failure posted:

I didn't realise those things worked on their side. Or is that the purpose of that photo?

Read back on TT created threads, GF. You've missed quite a bit since August.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

Me. :smith:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

General_Failure posted:

It was to show what it looked like, it's righted now :v:

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

Das Volk posted:

When it snows on Donner Pass in NV/CA stateline everyone wants to go a different speed, and they follow at the same distances they would on the 405 in Long Beach. Going up there during a snowstorm we were in a GLK with snow tires, so we were pretty well set for the snow. Getting up to the front of the traffic line after they closed the road briefly, we were in the first 50 cars or so and it was like an apocalypse movie. We were dodging jackknifing rigs, people spinning out, cars hitting each other, and it was all happening in slow motion.

Like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeIUprGrnGM

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

veedubfreak posted:

I will never own a bike for this reason.
As a Ducati owner :smug:, I pity you who will never know the smug of owning a Ducati.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

As a Ducati owner :smug:, I pity you who will never know the smug of owning a Ducati.

He can buy yours in a month or two, and just wash it off and give it a paint job?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Haha I know that kid, his car is sick and he's pretty chill. Best of all is the Youtube stardom that was thrust upon him hasn't gone to his head.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Dude i think theres something wrong with your bike, at the stop light it sounds like metal banging!

I rode motorcycles in washington for years. I was really reckless and somehow managed to not die or get arrested. I feel i have used up all my bike-luck, and my guardian angel is sick of my poo poo. So my sweet HD forever sits with its battery maintainer.

Raw_Beef fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 10, 2013

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

veedubfreak posted:

I do.

The problem is that if you're buying German cars, they basically only come in various shades of gray. It's a rare and wonderful day that I see a 3-Series in something like Topaz Blue.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Nah, just that metallic baby poo. Which kind of blends in with the dust and dead grass too.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Viggen posted:

Where do you live?

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

Exactly why I will never consider owning a motorcycle in Washington. gently caress that. They tried to kill me enough times in my giant [silver :v:] boat car, the last thing I need is to be smaller and more easily killed.

My favorite thing to do after a close call with an rear end in a top hat driver is to hang back for a while, then when traffic slows, catch back up, and give them the "I'm watching you" gesture. It always scares the poo poo out of them.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Giblet Plus! posted:

My favorite thing to do after a close call with an rear end in a top hat driver is to hang back for a while, then when traffic slows, catch back up, and give them the "I'm watching you" gesture. It always scares the poo poo out of them.

I do something sort of like that, but a little more abrupt. People tend to get spooked when a large car that they just did something assholish to drops back then nails it at the back of their car. It may have a sedate exhaust too, but I could probably fit my arm in it so when it's wound up the wheezer gives a lovely demon roar. Generally they get the idea.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

grover posted:

Not surprising. No one uses their turn signals in WA. 3/4th of cars are SUV's with massive blind spots. By the way, PROPS to Subaru for being both very popular up here, and making the only SUV's that seem to be popular that have good rear visibility unlike all the Lexus and Mercedes monstrosities you see. We have a huge problem with texting + driving. Plus the hills plus the rain. And if you hit Seattle traffic it's 45% rich yuppies in european sports cars with an attitude and road rage issues, 45% clueless people who just immigrated to work on contract at Microsoft and have no driving experience in the US, and 10% people just trying to get home. It's really a disaster. Whether it's arrogance or ignorance, no one uses their drat turn signals. I feel sorry for anyone that tries to ride a bike up here. Everyone I know has sold theirs and given up on that. Or moved to a more bike friendly state like California.

But really drive down i405, 520, or i5 near Seattle as a passenger and count how many people are on cell phones, or better yet, wearing ear buds or headphones in the car.

Also road rage is a big issue. I've been driving for 6 years and I've had two people follow me to my house, 1 person force his way into my house, 2 people pull guns on me at red lights, and one guy throw an ice scraper thing and some cans at my car on the freeway. Oh and it's always rich white dudes with beards who make over $100k a year go figure. I feel safer driving a brand new car in Hilltop than I do driving in rush hour Seattle -> Eastside traffic. I also don't drive aggressively or slowly or really do anything that I would think would provoke such behavior.

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 10, 2013

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I just moved to WA from CA and can confirm that the drivers here are terrible. I've dealt with everything from NYC to LA to goddamn Tijuana drivers and this is the place where I actually get surprised by the things people do. Here people just pull out. Parking lots, left turns, right turns, roundabout, small car, SUV, tractor trailer. It doesn't matter. If you want to be there just go, you don't have to worry about anyone else. I drive at least 5 cars a day in various colors and it doesn't matter. Today I almost got hit by THREE idiots pulling out of parking lots on a single test drive of a blue RS4 with nearly open pipes. No missing that things but yeah, they did.

My bike has been parked since I moved here and I'm almost regretting not selling it before I moved.
Between going from 60 miles a day of sunny riding in San Diego to caging along in the cold and rain and no sun ever up here I'm kinda bummed. At least the money is good :unsmith:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Drunken Lullabies posted:

But really drive down i405, 520, or i5 near Seattle as a passenger and count how many people are on cell phones, or better yet, wearing ear buds or headphones in the car.

This! This poo poo!

Why? I initially assumed "durr can't hook ipod to stereo, will hook head to ipod" but I see this a lot in really nice cars that have to at least have an aux input.

Also, yeah, I'm terrified taking the 5 and 405 to work in the new car. I usually take back highways now. We got some nice slushy hail tonight, and god only knows what that made people do. This is the northwest, yet without fail, my commute time is doubled/tripled on the first day we get real nasty weather in the year. These idiots should know by now how to work with a little snow, then again even rain seems to give them problems. Rain! In Washington!

e. Oh, and the fun of dealing with ricers on the stretch between Lynnwood and north Seattle [usually up to the Convention Center overpass thingy] on the 5. Every loving friday/saturday night, driving to/from the city, there's a few of them racing or just generally being retarded.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Code Jockey posted:

Oh, and the fun of dealing with ricers on the stretch between Lynnwood and north Seattle [usually up to the Convention Center overpass thingy] on the 5. Every loving friday/saturday night, driving to/from the city, there's a few of them racing or just generally being retarded.

We have those too, but the cops race with them. (Not like a pursuit, just street racing.)