Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I am also one of the crazy people that legit really likes the Virtual Boy. It probably helps that I have mutant eyes that don't shrivel up when I play it but it's actually got some really fun games and I love the sound chip on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Game Center CX is the most entertaining videogame advertisement ever made. Retro Game Challenge is a videogame based on an advertisement of videogames. Zari-gani brings you a special video that created the brand new genre, ad-in-ad. Game Center CX advertising its own game which advertises the show which is an advertisement for games.

The Retro Game Challenge DVD special!

Download torrent81 (1 file; 694.88 MB)
View torrent stats

http://depositfiles.com/files/tv9b0oerw

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Just to clarify, is this the translated version of the DVD challenge that was bundled with the second GCCX game where Arino attempted to complete staff challenges in Retro Game Challenge?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You just edged me out. Oh well, more to come tomorrow, I guess.

Obeast posted:

Just to clarify, is this the translated version of the DVD challenge that was bundled with the second GCCX game where Arino attempted to complete staff challenges in Retro Game Challenge?

Yes, it's that challenge from the bonus DVD that came with the collector's edition of the second game.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
^^ EVEN BETTER :neckbeard:

HOORAY! :neckbeard: I love it when I get surprise episodes!

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Oops! Double Post. Real post below.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 10, 2013

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Yes, it's that challenge from the bonus DVD that came with the collector's edition of the second game.

Also to clarify, is this the episode that was from the 3rd post here from Random Stranger. If so, I have been waiting for this one. Just a reminder that the link below is dead.

Random Stranger posted:

So in news not for the OP there are a few things.

First, the bonus episode for the DVD Set 8 is Samurai Ghost, the sequel to Genpei Tomaden which Arino has already played and is also on the DVD.

Second, while I don't have a newly translated episode to christen this thread I do have the next best thing: a never before seen episode.

You might recall from a few releases ago that the show mentioned a bonus DVD for the initial release of the DS game Game Center CX: Arino's Challenge 2. That bonus DVD would contain an hour long challenge in which Arino plays the original game. That video had never found its way out of Japan. Until now.

I give you Arino's Challenge: http://www.multiupload.com/W7VQ9SXWS9

This is not translated at all and it's unlikely to be translated anytime soon but it is a new episode that I strongly doubt that any of you have ever seen before. Enjoy.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 10, 2013

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi

Gutcruncher posted:

Game Center CX is the most entertaining videogame advertisement ever made. Retro Game Challenge is a videogame based on an advertisement of videogames. Zari-gani brings you a special video that created the brand new genre, ad-in-ad. Game Center CX advertising its own game which advertises the show which is an advertisement for games.

The Retro Game Challenge DVD special!

Download torrent81 (1 file; 694.88 MB)
View torrent stats

http://depositfiles.com/files/tv9b0oerw

Awesome! I wasn't sure if this one was even going to come out. Perhaps it will make me go back and beat all the games I haven't beat yet for the last challenge.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the new release!

Also have to mention that I recently bought a 3DS XL and the first game I bought from the Virtual console store: Mighty Bomb Jack. There's a few others I want to try, although the collection of VC games is a bit lacking here in Europe at the moment.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'll just leave this here...

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Arino is one of the new starters in Pokemon Z.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I knew that Yoshi's Island would be a two parter. Can't wait to see the raw and can't wait to see next weeks conclusion.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Abe's handwriting :stare:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

victrix posted:

Abe's handwriting :stare:

I just came to post about that too. I-it's so beautiful. :negative:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Is anyone else having recurring video glitches in the Retro Game Challenge episode, or is it just me?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

FredMSloniker posted:

Is anyone else having recurring video glitches in the Retro Game Challenge episode, or is it just me?

I got them too, just ignored them.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

So I take it Yoshi's Island aired already? Someone link the inevitable YouTube of the raw, I want to watch it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I realize that this show is, well, always staged, but that episode was really staged :v:

Worth it for Abe's calligraphy though :allears:

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi

FredMSloniker posted:

That's probably just the best copy of the raw video they could find or something. The subtitles often seemed fine when it was glitchy behind them.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Random Stranger posted:

I'll just leave this here...

Is that a Pikachu wearing a camera in the style of Flavor Flav

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

victrix posted:

I realize that this show is, well, always staged, but that episode was really staged :v:

So... I love being the ignorant one, what do you mean by staged?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Some people think the show is completely staged, others not. There's been arguments over this in the thread before.

For the record, some minor things have been shown to be scripted, like episode intros ("This is an NES game so I bet it'll be easy") and stuff the ADs say when they step into the scene ("May I play for one life?") or Watanabe eating stuff during arcade trips. Kibe's role is to think of little bits like that, as well as write the narration script. But Arino's gameplay and his commentary aren't scripted. The show leaves that up to him because he creates his own magic.

ETA: Spoilered just in case.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 10, 2013

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

zari-gani posted:

Some people think the show is staged, others not. There's been arguments over this in the thread before.

For the record, some minor things have been shown to be scripted, like certain episode intros ("This is an NES game so I bet it'll be easy") and stuff the ADs say when they step into the scene ("May I play for one life?") or Watanabe eating stuff during arcade trips. Kibe's role is to think of little bits like that, as well as write the narration script. But Arino's gameplay and his commentary aren't scripted. The show leaves that up to him because he creates his own magic.

ETA: Spoilered just in case.

Okay, that's that I wanted to know. That's what I figured from the show, that they would have certain things prepared ahead of time, because well it is a show.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

Okay, that's that I wanted to know. That's what I figured from the show, that they would have certain things prepared ahead of time, because well it is a show.

Yeah, and the Retro Game Challenge special definitely seems more planned out than the average episode. Probably because there are certain things they wanted to show off, and also they can't take up the indieszero meeting room for 14 hours.

ETA: By the way, the King's comments are written by Kan.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 10, 2013

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

zari-gani posted:

ETA: By the way, the King's comments are written by Kan.

This makes some of those way funnier.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Are the intros always written? There seem to be quite a few episodes where it seems like Arino is just telling a story about something that happened to him recently. The "reveal" of every game is definitely not a surprise to Arino.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I can't believe there's people who think Arino's gameplay segment is scripted/staged. A simple proof would be the live 24 hour episode of Quest of Ki. He was stuck in one stage for 8 real-time hours. There is no way a producer would plan something like that during live broadcast for a national TV.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

This makes some of those way funnier.

Whenever the King is raging that is Kan raging. It also gives greater meaning to this:

Lifespan posted:

Are the intros always written? There seem to be quite a few episodes where it seems like Arino is just telling a story about something that happened to him recently. The "reveal" of every game is definitely not a surprise to Arino.

I'm sure the anecdotes are real. The reveals definitely aren't.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

So... I love being the ignorant one, what do you mean by staged?

Well, Arino resetting Haggleman 3 was just weirdly staged, why did they feel it so important to show off an uninteresting cheat code?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Maybe they just needed footage of Arino making a catastrophic fuckup

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Regarding scripted or not, I suppose if Arino plays well there's no need for AD's to step in. But are they making a plan on when to step in on the fly as they go along, since they can't be sure what is causing Arino trouble during his gameplay? Or do they have everything planned out with every possible solution ready with information should Arino need it?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
They definitely have backup plans ready. There are plenty of games where they give him a huge tip or cheat early in the game and some where they hold out for a long time. It's all designed so that they can get enough footage to make a good episode.

Then there are cases like Ninja Spirit...

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

zari-gani posted:

Kibe's role is to think of little bits like that, as well as write the narration script. But Arino's gameplay and his commentary aren't scripted. The show leaves that up to him because he creates his own magic.

Obviously, the show is staged a little, but I think it's giving the producers and Arino too much credit to think they could effectively stage the gameplay. Otherwise, you wouldn't have shoots going on into 3 or 4 AM in the morning, and you wouldn't have Arino clearing some challenges in a normal work day on others. And the reactions you get from the people, either they are the best actors ever, or it's real. There's also too much that can go wrong, and Arino doesn't strike me as someone who is good enough to be really crappy at one moment and then be really good the next.

As for the anecdotes, I'd be surprised if they weren't planned out a bit. I'm sure you have them working with Arino to tighten them up or make them funnier, and they might try it a few times.

Azazell0 posted:

Regarding scripted or not, I suppose if Arino plays well there's no need for AD's to step in. But are they making a plan on when to step in on the fly as they go along, since they can't be sure what is causing Arino trouble during his gameplay? Or do they have everything planned out with every possible solution ready with information should Arino need it?

Well, the ADs play through the game before Arino does. There's a few reasons to do this. First, they need to know whether or not the game is going to work for an episode. So if it is too easy or too hard or just plain boring, they probably won't do it. Next, they do it so they can make notes on where Arino is likely to gently caress up, and then I'm sure they spend time afterwards making whatever charts or diagrams they feel they need to.

So they obviously have notes on the trouble sections, and I'm sure they spend time coming up with clever ideas on how to give Arino advice.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 10, 2013

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Lifespan posted:

They definitely have backup plans ready. There are plenty of games where they give him a huge tip or cheat early in the game and some where they hold out for a long time.

I can't think of any examples right now but I think sometimes they anticipated he'll need help, then it turned out he does fine... then they brought out the hint/help gimmicks they had prepared anyway so they don't go to waste.

Then there are challenges like Comix Zone where they had drawings prepared and used them, but didn't show them in the episode.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Cemetry Gator posted:

Obviously, the show is staged a little, but I think it's giving the producers and Arino too much credit to think they could effectively stage the gameplay. Otherwise, you wouldn't have shoots going on into 3 or 4 AM in the morning, and you wouldn't have Arino clearing some challenges in a normal work day on others.

Who is to say they really go that late at night? Perhaps the "room" they're in is just a set in a television studio. Have we ever seen it raining on the show? :tinfoil:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Bocc Kob posted:

Have we ever seen it raining on the show? :tinfoil:

This is snow but...

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Maybe they just needed footage of Arino making a catastrophic fuckup

Thing is, I don't think anyone buys the idea that that was a fuckup, at least if they have ever played the game (reset is on the touch-screen, far away from all practical button-mashing). Personally I fully believe that the regular continue failures are, at least for the most part, genuine. Was just a bit too weird in that instance.

No big deal though. They clearly have some stuff prepared that they make sure gets in there, but overall analyzing it too much is not as fun as enjoying the show as it is :)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lifespan posted:

The reveal is not a surprise on camera typically but there are exceptions to this like Ghouls'n Ghosts. The general rule is that Arino doesn't know what game he's playing until he arrives for the challenge.

Azazell0 posted:

It's the call of the director or Kibe and while they have certain plans they don't always hold with them. That's just unscripted television for you.

Bocc Kob posted:

Who is to say they really go that late at night? Perhaps the "room" they're in is just a set in a television studio. Have we ever seen it raining on the show? :tinfoil:

We've seen a blizzard outside the window and Arino and Abe sticking their heads out into it!

Besides that, from season 11 to today:

Kan is currently looking for new offices and having a good conference room to shoot in is a priority.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 11, 2013

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Kan is currently looking for new offices and having a good conference room to shoot in is a priority.

He said he's bringing Abe along with his office search to consult with too. I'm guessing it's either to get his advice as the cameraman who sets up the shots, or Abe is a secret expert on property assessment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

He said he's bringing Abe along with his office search to consult with too. I'm guessing it's either to get his advice as the cameraman who sets up the shots, or Abe is a secret expert on property assessment.

Probably both. Actually I bet Abe's still mad about the season 4 to 10 challenge room...

FWIW, There have been four regular challenge rooms that are used through the series and a handful of one-offs that they've used for various episodes. From the pilot to Adventure Island they shot in the Fuji TV building. This conference room has doors both to the right and left of Arino and no external window. Urakawa completed the Adventure Island challenge in the new room (maybe they found out they could shoot there by Urakawa doing it as a test run) which was at the Gascoin offices. This is the room where there's a pillar to Arino's right, the windows open, and the sun hits Arino in the eyes at the wrong times of year. In the middle of season 11 they moved to their current offices where the safety glass windows on Arino's left are typically visible. The other "regular" challenge room is at Fuji TV again but it's only used for live shows. They seem to keep returning to the same room, probably because it's usable for long, live broadcasts.