Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Artie's commented on this, Nick is very quick comedically and has an uncanny knack for constructing and throwing out punchlines at a moment's notice. He's definitely funny, but imo he turns into unlistenable poo poo whenever he has to expand on any sort of thought or drive a narrative, as is required in radio constantly. It's not just politics, he just isn't smooth on the radio which is understandable for someone who who's fairly new to the medium.

It's especially clear when they're interviewing someone and Nick constantly reminds the audience who they're listening to every 45 seconds as someone probably told him was important for the audience. Or when he has computer issues and he goes "Look at this!" *5 seconds of dead air* "This is ridiculous.." rather than making a bit of it for the radio like Howard does.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Holy Calamity! posted:

Artie's commented on this, Nick is very quick comedically and has an uncanny knack for constructing and throwing out punchlines at a moment's notice. He's definitely funny, but imo he turns into unlistenable poo poo whenever he has to expand on any sort of thought or drive a narrative, as is required in radio constantly. It's not just politics, he just isn't smooth on the radio which is understandable for someone who who's fairly new to the medium.

Wasn't Nick doing a solo radio show for a few years before he hooked up with Artie? I'd gotten the impression he really liked it and was spending a lot of time working to improve.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I hate Nick and love Artie but Artie would be bad bad bad bad bad bad hosting his own radio show and he would hate doing it and would give up. Artie doesn't like having any sort of responsibility or accountability which is why he's so great as a sidekick. An uncensored no holds barred Artie podcast would be awesome.

Also Nick getting fired from his own show would be about the funniest thing to happen on earth since his whole shtick is to be an angry rear end in a top hat at everything.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

prefect posted:

Wasn't Nick doing a solo radio show for a few years before he hooked up with Artie? I'd gotten the impression he really liked it and was spending a lot of time working to improve.

You're right, according to his wiki he had his own show at one point up until 2007. I never would have guessed, Nick would always make comments like "Well I haven't been doing this for 10 years like you" so I assumed he was new. Came across more as struggling to find a groove to me but I'm biased since I just despise him.

Wasco Jr.
Jan 11, 2006

"Cut the kids in half"
So I was listening to the show in my head phones while eating lovely buttery toast, then Pete starts making those disgusting moist spitting sounds directly into my ears, bye bye toast.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
A lot of funny interviews this week, but I think JB Smoove was the funniest. I kind of wish Howard would've stayed quiet more and just let him riff on his stories, because everything he was saying was hilarious.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

qbert posted:

A lot of funny interviews this week, but I think JB Smoove was the funniest. I kind of wish Howard would've stayed quiet more and just let him riff on his stories, because everything he was saying was hilarious.

I agree. The interview with JB Smoove was great. The stories about growing up in Mt Vernon being "4 miles of straight rear end whuppins" and making friends with the school janitor were great.
I wish Howard would have stopped with attempting to make him feel like poo poo for getting "fired" from SNL, since it obviously wasn't working. But Howard is gonna Howard..

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Been replaying this wonderful bit a lot lately:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hhrk1qG50

Best part is when Baba Booey remarks "You know that if Sal was a girl, he'd have blown everyone in this story" and Artie comes back with "I still think that might've actually happened."

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

qbert posted:

What? Howard saying "motherfucker" 3723 times in an hour didn't help your enjoyment?

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Why do black guests always have a long list of "home truths" to share, 'this is how life works' type stuff.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

haljordan posted:

Been replaying this wonderful bit a lot lately:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hhrk1qG50

Best part is when Baba Booey remarks "You know that if Sal was a girl, he'd have blown everyone in this story" and Artie comes back with "I still think that might've actually happened."
"So wet 'em, spread 'em, and make 'em nice and wide" :barf: Available for a mere 99 cents.

Someone pointed out in another yootoob that there's no way Sal was only 16 when he got suckered into this. He was 16 in the early 80s but this type of music is straight up 90s.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Snark posted:

"So wet 'em, spread 'em, and make 'em nice and wide" :barf: Available for a mere 99 cents.

Someone pointed out in another yootoob that there's no way Sal was only 16 when he got suckered into this. He was 16 in the early 80s but this type of music is straight up 90s.

Not that I don't think this is a bit, but isn't Sal only like 40? That would mean that if he were 16 when he made it, he made it in '88. Just saying.

Either way, it would be remarkable if his voice hadn't changed at all in 20+ years too.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
It's best just to assume everything Sal does is a lie and don't worry about it.

CapnPyro
Mar 18, 2003
I draw stuff.
I've only been listening intermittently but do Sal & Richard actually do anything anymore? I've always been curious how they aren't very part time, or fired altogether.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

CapnPyro posted:

I've only been listening intermittently but do Sal & Richard actually do anything anymore? I've always been curious how they aren't very part time, or fired altogether.

They come up with and record a shitload of bits for Howard. He only ends up playing a handful of them on air each week though. Honestly, they're probably the funniest thing left about the show.

They rarely come in the studio any more, though. I think they got burned by all the criticism they got from Howard and the staff when they did. Now it's become another point of hypocrisy for Howard, because he complains that they don't come in the studio enough anymore, when all he did was yell and make fun of them when they did come in.

mike_348
Apr 30, 2009

CapnPyro posted:

All they do is Jack & Rod and I think they are trolling howard at this point.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Sal Pranking Bobo about the end of the world was great too. The boys do good, I think Howard keeps filtering more and more of their stuff out because he doesn't get it or thinks it isn't up to his standards. He's right a lot, but it stops a lot of their stuff.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

CapnPyro posted:

Howard is too busy letting Ronnie the Limo Driver scream for 45 minutes every morning about how he does something that's really weird but can't own up to it.

Seriously, enough with loving Ronnie already.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
The Artie Lange Show looks pretty much offical now

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That's crazy. Wasn't it just a few months ago that Artie looked like he was on his way out?

CrazyAss13
Jun 12, 2002
Awesome Dude
I didn't hear it, but I've heard the when Adam Carolla was on the Nick and Artie show, Artie complemented him on his move to stop coming in to the Free FM show when Adam decided he didn't want to work with Danny Bonaduce anymore. Which forced Free FM to get rid of Danny on that show.

After that Artie missed a bunch of shows and Nick had to host them alone. After that Artie got to host a show without Nick. Maybe Artie was forcing the issue and asking his bosses who they wanted, him or Nick. I think they picked Artie.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

Joe Don Baker posted:

That's crazy. Wasn't it just a few months ago that Artie looked like he was on his way out?

This. He has pissed in the studio, scratched his balls on camera, nods out on the air, and they get rid of Nick. Artie's a funny guy and I started listening to N&A because of him, but this situation is loving insane. Show business is ruthless.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It is. DirecTV must be making a ton of dough with this show. They gave them that whole new set. They put with Artie's bullshit and now he is the sole host. They must make enough money to keep running with it despite all the problems.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Let's not forget his nearly violent anger towards women, and incredibly poor interview skills. Artie just isn't a good host. Its going to be really disappointing if Nick was forced out.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

This is going to be such a train wreck.

I can't wait. :allears:

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I love hearing about SNL sketches that never made it to air, but all of JB Smoove's rejected sketches sounded horrible. They're exactly the kind of one-joke sketches that drag the show down. Howard carrying on like they were the pinnacle of comedy made it even worse.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
Well, this Artie situation will be an absolute train wreck but I'll listen to every show. I stopped about 6 months ago, Nick was too goddamn annoying to stomach. There's nothing that will turn me off of a show faster than over privileged well-off middle aged white man political rage (see Adam Carolla).

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
Well, it's official:

Artie Lange Show ‏@ArtieLangeShow

All show details remain the same. M-F 10p-1a Eastern and on DirecTV's Audience Channel 239. Nick is pursuing some other great opportunities.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Well I hate the poo poo out of Nick's opinions so I may actually give this Artie-only show a chance!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Chris Rock just cleared out his garage

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Its always been The Artie Lange show. This just makes it official.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
I hope its just Artie rotating his friends though as guest hosts each week.
There is no way he can carry a show himself.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

I hope its just Artie rotating his friends though as guest hosts each week.
There is no way he can carry a show himself.

What's the over-under on how many weeks pass before they have to get replacement hosts to fill in when Artie is "sick?"

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MIKE BOCCHETTI ‏@MIKEBOCCHETTI
Hi everyone i feel bad what happened to nick i have no control over it please my dad is still dying im stessed enough love you all mike

I guess Nick was fired?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Who is Mike Bochetti? Also gently caress Nick. He's one of those people it hurts me to say is funny, but he's such an unlikable piece of poo poo it's hilarious he tried as hard as he could to be competent at that job and Artie is just the biggest mess on earth and is more well known than him, is getting his job, gets paid way, way more than him for comedy, and Nick can't even get verified on twitter lollll

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

beep by grandpa posted:

Who is Mike Bochetti? Also gently caress Nick. He's one of those people it hurts me to say is funny, but he's such an unlikable piece of poo poo it's hilarious he tried as hard as he could to be competent at that job and Artie is just the biggest mess on earth and is more well known than him, is getting his job, gets paid way, way more than him for comedy, and Nick can't even get verified on twitter lollll

He's a homophobic troglodyte. I loving hate Nick. Even when he shows up on Louis.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

beep by grandpa posted:

Who is Mike Bochetti?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMEQuTuI2Hg

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I think Bocchetti is some kind of Skrull super soldier amalgamation of every whack packer on the stern show.

The face of Gary the Retard
The body of High Pitch
The talent of Eric the Midget
The intelligence of Beetlejuice

null_user01013 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

Who is Mike Bochetti?

Mike Bocchetti is the guy who has tweeted about ten times now that his father is slowly dying in the hospital.