Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

orenronen posted:

Wasn't my doing.

And now I'm wondering if this is too much of a spoiler for people still reading the DR1 thread.

It's a spoiler inasmuch as it might suggest that Togami is going to be alive at the end, but it's still no guarantee. Given that we still can't decide whether or not these Togamis are the same person I don't know that someone not aware that it's from DR2 would still have reason to assume it was, similar to what someone else said above.

At the very least it's not really a spoiler for the contents of this game at all, presented the way it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Don't think there's anything wrong with it per se, but the bear and the rabbit for oren and fedule was more fitting.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I think monobear as an avatar for orenronen has always been for the best. He's the one who translates everything and gives us the updates, so him having an avatar representing the thing that essentially orchestrates the game worked out well.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Don't think there's anything wrong with it per se, but the bear and the rabbit for oren and fedule was more fitting.

Well all of Oren's notes in the LP are marked with a little Monobear so it makes more sense.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
I also vote for Oren getting back a Monobear avatar. Please. :ohdear: Here you go!

I really hate the 30kb limit sometimes. Oh well.

Web-friendly version.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

HelloWinter posted:

I also vote for Oren getting back a Monobear avatar. Please. :ohdear: Here you go!

I really hate the 30kb limit sometimes. Oh well.

Web-friendly version.

If nobody else does,so help me god I will give him a new Monobear avatar. It's just so perfect for Oren to have.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

orenronen posted:

Well, it says "Byakuya Togami" right there, and some people may even be able to read it.

Yeah but probably only a handful of people can actually read it.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
And then suddenly, and abruptly, the world was a better place!

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Call Now posted:

Yeah but probably only a handful of people can actually read it.

That doesn't make it okay for that handful to be spoiled.

In any case, I'm pretty sure that images of a fat Togami hit the Dangan Ronpa thread pretty early as well. I remember reading posts about it, and people assumed that it was someone else who looked like him. For that handful, this might actually be a pretty huge spoiler since it does pretty much confirm that DR2 has Togami.

HelloWinter posted:

Really cool poo poo.

That's a shame. While the second one still looks good, the first one looks pretty drat spectacular.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 10, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

CrashScreen posted:

That's a shame. While the second one still looks good, the first one looks pretty drat spectacular.

The first is a bit too busy for an avatar. The second has just the right of animation.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

HelloWinter posted:

I'd better warn you. I have no compassion, sympathy or pity. That's because I'm a bear.

Thank you for choosing this line, because I'm pretty sure it's the best line ever uttered in a video game.

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.
Something about Togami is rubbing me the wrong way. I don't know what it is-maybe it's the small subtle difference between his more selfish actions and game one, and his slightly more selfless mannerisms now, but I get the feeling it's just an act... I think he's probably going to be the one to kill someone, probably later in the game though. Don't have much base on that, but it's a hunch.
But for murder 1... I get the feeling that miss Princess Sonia might be the victim of this. Same feel as Maizono and Probably just me looking into expectations, which really should stop. As for her killer- I don't know at all. The game needs to run a little more before I can make a full out guess, like I could kind of do last game.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I'd just like to mention that both OPs now have avatars drawn by HelloWinter. She's truly a SHSL Let's Play Artist.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change
And I am sure her talents go way beyond Let's Play art! Does she have any central location for all of her art that she's shared before? I like it a lot.

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.
Ok the issue was this whole thing, so removing it. Sorry about that.

HangedManArcana fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 11, 2013

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

HangedManArcana posted:

If she's a SHSL Let's Play Artist, does that mean she's going to appear in Dangan Ronpa three?
Also... Can I commission an avatar from you Winter? Not you buying it, but me paying for the avatar, and paying you for making it? Because you're awesome with them and I really want one for Dangan Ronpa. I think I remember you making some last thread- but it's lost somewhere in the eight-hundred pages.
Also Also- Orenronen is SHSL Let's Player and Fredule is SHSL Translation Aide. That last one doesn't seem as epic as I thought, but it still is.

Does this make you SHSL poo poo Post?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Belgaer posted:

Does this make you SHSL poo poo Post?

It doesn't rise above the competition.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

HangedManArcana posted:

Also Also- Orenronen is SHSL Let's Player and Fredule is SHSL Translation Aide. That last one doesn't seem as epic as I thought, but it still is.

I didn't expect to repost this so soon.

Sandata
Mar 19, 2010
I want those Monobeasts. No You don't understand. If any company made a set of those Monobeasts I will buy it up.

I'm really at a lost of words here. I mean the whole intro has basically been boosted up to level 11. We have a much powerful cast that was gonna beat down Monobear black and white butt only to face Giant Robots. They be screwed big time.

It does interest me however that they do have Kazuichi here. He's about their best bet at ever beating them. Nekomaru might be strong and Peko sword could be under anime logic strong enough. I just don't see it happening nor do I see spike ever going down that path.

I kind of hope that they do get destroyed in a nice final fight or at lest Kazuichi gets to take them apart at some point. I'll be piss if its just some kind of barely get away and explosion finish.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
EDITED OUT DUE TO QUOTEE REMORSE

I was pleased to see that they didn't kill off a student so soon this time. The characters are pretty good, so as with DR1 it's a shame to lose them, especially early on when they're not fully developed. Because of that, I have a theory about who the first victim will be, but it's metaguessing so I'll leave off.

Morton Salt Grrl fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 11, 2013

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Teddles posted:

I was pleased to see that they didn't kill off a student so soon this time.
They didn't kill off a student so soon last time, either - the first DR1 victim (Maizono) wasn't killed until halfway through Chapter 1.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

DaveWoo posted:

They didn't kill off a student so soon last time, either - the first DR1 victim (Maizono) wasn't killed until halfway through Chapter 1.

I thought the first death was Enoshima/Mukuro due to excessive perforation :confused:

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Zest posted:

I thought the first death was Enoshima/Mukuro due to excessive perforation :confused:

Mukuro was killed when she complained about there being a trial after Maizono's death.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Zest posted:

Nope. Sayaka Maizono was the first death, and Enoshima/Mukuro's death happened during Chapter 1's investigation.

INTERNET NERD RAGE
Mar 17, 2002

Take the key.
I'm not sure if this theory about Fat Togami was thrown out there or not: Assuming he's the same Togami from DR1 and this is a direct sequel, we know that Fukawa survived the end of DR1 as well. Since Fukawa/Syo's serial killings were based around guys that she had the hots for, Togami felt he was at risk of being brutally slain by Syo. In order to make himself unattractive, he just fattened himself up until she was disgusted with him.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Zest posted:

No, Mukuro got killed second.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

INTERNET NERD RAGE posted:

I'm not sure if this theory about Fat Togami was thrown out there or not: Assuming he's the same Togami from DR1 and this is a direct sequel, we know that Fukawa survived the end of DR1 as well. Since Fukawa/Syo's serial killings were based around guys that she had the hots for, Togami felt he was at risk of being brutally slain by Syo. In order to make himself unattractive, he just fattened himself up until she was disgusted with him.

Yes. It has. Several times.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012
What was Monomi thinking by just standing in front of the robot overlord like that? There's no way that could have accomplished anything other than prove Monobear's point. It really does make me think that Monomi and Monobear might be operated by the same person, or at least the same group. The fact that both animals had some sort of presence set up on the island beforehand really makes that to be too much of a coincidence.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Everyone forgets Kirigiri (headmaster) was the first death I see....

4th Asclepiadean posted:

What was Monomi thinking by just standing in front of the robot overlord like that? There's no way that could have accomplished anything other than prove Monobear's point. It really does make me think that Monomi and Monobear might be operated by the same person, or at least the same group. The fact that both animals had some sort of presence set up on the island beforehand really makes that to be too much of a coincidence.

The person voicing monomi is more than likely the same person voicing monobear. If I remember correctly, you never hear them speaking at the same time. Besides, instead of operating Usami, there are a billion better ways to prepare a counter-strike against monobear.

Its likely the mastermind putting on a show. It had excellent results.

Joenen fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 11, 2013

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

Joenen posted:

The person voicing monomi is more than likely the same person voicing monobear. If I remember correctly, you never hear them speaking at the same time. Besides, instead of operating Usami, there are a billion better ways to prepare a counter-strike against monobear.

Its likely the mastermind putting on a show. It had excellent results.

I was all ready to copy paste who Monomi's voice actress was from Update 2 until I realized that you meant you think the same person is controlling both Monomi and Monobear, which is actually interesting, if largely baseless at this point.

Considering the ends Monomi was used to achieve, it's not necessarily far-fetched. Though I don't think it's the answer.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
By the way, Usami/Monomi is a teacher and Monobear is the headmaster of Hope's Peak. Isn't it normally the case that a teacher should obey the headmaster and carry out his/her commands?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I feel like Byakuya-sumo's role is simply to portray Togami-as-murderer in the second game. Like we did, I'm sure the majority of the devs thought it was a 50/50 shot that he'd get around to offing someone and/or pissing someone off to the point that they killed him, and figured they'd experiment with it in the second game while throwing the readers for a loop by having it be very nearly the same guy.

It's also still possible that (like was speculated upon with DR1) the POV character is on acid and sees terribly exaggerated versions of everyone, so, slightly chubby and self-inflated Togami turns into a blimp.

INTERNET NERD RAGE
Mar 17, 2002

Take the key.

curiousCat posted:

Yes. It has. Several times.

Huh. I guess that's what happens when you try to read 80 pages in a day.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
All 16 students are currently present at Monobear's grand entrance. The only way he is being controlled in the way he was the last game is if a currently unknown 17th person is doing it.

Of course, there are many other potential explanations for Monobear's current status and many possibilities regarding a theoretical "mastermind" besides someone sitting in a high-tech control room personally controlling Monobear, but that particular option is probably out unless there's an unknown factor in all this.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Based off the last game's stinger, I think Monobear could very well just be an A.I. now.

Frost Uncle
Nov 2, 2012
I usually hate awful fan nicknames but everyone saying "Fat Togami" is making me laugh pretty hard.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

RentCavalier posted:

Based off the last game's stinger, I think Monobear could very well just be an A.I. now.
One of the very strong alternate possibilities.

The question then must be: Why does Monobear suddenly have an independent AI? He certainly didn't seem to have one before. Something changed. If this is really the case, I'm sure we'll end up with an explanation for why Monobear, who used to just basically be a puppet, may have become a autonomous being in his own right. And then we may very well have a mastermind of a different shade.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

Frost Uncle posted:

I usually hate awful fan nicknames but everyone saying "Fat Togami" is making me laugh pretty hard.

How is that even a nickname. It's his name with a descriptive adjective.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

It is an accurate description of the character in question. It is a person named Togami. He has a self-admitted weight issue (though he claims it's actually the thin people who have the problem). He is Fat Togami.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Hey guys, guess who is a fan of Monobear: X-Men supervillain Arcade!

In the new Avengers Arena comic, he kidnaps 16 teen superheroes previously seen in Avengers Academy, and tells them that after 30 days of mutual killing and Murderworld death traps, only one of them will win this new game.

I don't think the writer is copying Dangan Ronpa per se, since it seems from the covers that they're going more for a Battle Royale/Hunger Games thing, but still it's fun to see the premise of 16 teens with strange talents turn against each other in a different media.

• Locked thread