Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ruffz posted:

Captains are an excellent, albeit slow, solo class. I very rarely died on the way to level 85. If you've already played one of the high DPS classes Captain might seem slow and boring, but they're a great utility class that are always in demand for groups.

I'm having this happening with my level 28 champion right now. I really like champion (being able to solo elite signature mobs and not drop below 3/4 on my health bar is great), but the damage output is just terrible and slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Rarity posted:

God drat Weathertop looks stunning :stare:

It's the one thing I tell my friends - "they got Middle Earth RIGHT." I love that you can see Weathertop from Breeland or the far side of the Lone-lands...

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I think I'm going to give this a run tonight. I've been wanting a new MMO to dick around in.

I had a few quick questions about the F2P model - I think I understand it, but I'm still a little confused. Please let me know if my understanding is correct:

-Start playing for free, just to see if I hate it or not
-If I enjoy it, do a month of VIP just to get bumped to premium and to permanently expand / remove a few bothersome things
-Buy the triple pack (preferably when it's on sale)

At that point, being a premium member, I'll have access to all the solo questing and content, right? Are there any areas I won't be able to quest in if I buy the triple pack?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
1-30 is free (starting areas, Bree and the Lone Lands), the problem is there's a gap between 30 and the start of Moria (45-49ish) where you'd need to somehow get access to Evendim and one other area of your choice, which you'd have to buy the quest packs for. Subscribing gives you access to all the quest packs while subscribed but as soon as your subscription lapses you'll lose access to those areas you haven't purchased in some manner.

The triple pack doesn't include Rohan, which is the only big thing you'd be missing.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 10, 2013

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
What Sheep said - buying the Mithril edition when it's on sale is recommended too. That way you get enough TP to cover 30-4x and a lot more. I genereally get riding at level 15/16 (when my 24h free horse expires) thanks to this since the Mithril comes with a free mount for all chars.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I wouldn't buy mithril edition at it's current price but if it were like $15 that's a pretty good deal just for the turbine points (buy Evendim and whatever other area you want to cover 40-48ish with them) and the horse. With the triple pack on sale at $20 and then Rohan on sale at $25, plus subbing for a month, you basically make the entire game free from that point on for a grand total of $70 or so spent.

Edit: triple pack includes a horse via Isengard, if you want to skip the mithril edition.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 10, 2013

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

You can apparently still get Mithril Edition for :10bux: at Gamestop.

http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W2777

Radio! fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 10, 2013

Vaxine
Apr 3, 2005
So what is this new Road to Erebor quest all about? That wasn't there when I leveled my last character. Looks like 3x 3 man skirms...anybody need to do them and want a 28 burg to go with?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Vaxine posted:

So what is this new Road to Erebor quest all about? That wasn't there when I leveled my last character. Looks like 3x 3 man skirms...anybody need to do them and want a 28 burg to go with?

They're on my quest list and I don't know what they are either.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sassassin posted:

Died for the third time in 90 hours last night. Thought I could slide down a cliff. I was wrong.

Nobody told me you could actually die by falling off cliffs so I jumped off Weathertop. Thanks a lot, Turbine, there goes my no deaths run! :argh:

In other news, the rescuing Weathertop instance in the epic quest was so good. CAVE TROLL DEATH! :black101:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

sassassin posted:

10 seconds of borderline invincibility is poo poo? If you're playing overpower guard (like me) it opens all your offence, too.

Yes, 10 seconds of 75% parry is poo poo. If it was Evade, it would be pretty drat awesome. But Parry is the weakest of the 3 mechanics.

Parry only works in the following scenarios:

1. Frontal attack
2. Melee
3. Physical damage
4. You have a weapon
5. You're not stunned, mesmerized, or cowering

Evade gets rid of numbers 1, 2, and 4. As the game goes on, you'll be disarmed constantly, especially when fighting Orcs/Dunlending. Without a weapon, you can't parry. As it also requires a melee physical attack, it won't help at all against archers, and many of the nastiest instance bosses use tactical damage attacks instead of physical.

As for it being useful on a Guardian, you get Guardian's Pledge, which is a far nicer skill, and is only on a 5 minute cooldown. And it has another skill you can hit that will cause it reset the cooldown, so you can hit it back to back. And it lasts 30 seconds instead of 10, while also providing blocking, evade, and tactical mitigation.

That's why I said that the Elven racial oshit skill that provides parry is a crappy skill. It just doesn't have much going for it. But as I also said, if you like the way elves look, play one. Don't worry about the skills or stats, play when you like the look of best. My RK is an Elf, because I wanted one and I liked the way they looked.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SeaTard posted:

Yes, 10 seconds of 75% parry is poo poo. If it was Evade, it would be pretty drat awesome. But Parry is the weakest of the 3 mechanics.

Parry only works in the following scenarios:

1. Frontal attack
2. Melee
3. Physical damage
4. You have a weapon
5. You're not stunned, mesmerized, or cowering

Evade gets rid of numbers 1, 2, and 4. As the game goes on, you'll be disarmed constantly, especially when fighting Orcs/Dunlending. Without a weapon, you can't parry. As it also requires a melee physical attack, it won't help at all against archers, and many of the nastiest instance bosses use tactical damage attacks instead of physical.

As for it being useful on a Guardian, you get Guardian's Pledge, which is a far nicer skill, and is only on a 5 minute cooldown. And it has another skill you can hit that will cause it reset the cooldown, so you can hit it back to back. And it lasts 30 seconds instead of 10, while also providing blocking, evade, and tactical mitigation.

That's why I said that the Elven racial oshit skill that provides parry is a crappy skill. It just doesn't have much going for it. But as I also said, if you like the way elves look, play one. Don't worry about the skills or stats, play when you like the look of best. My RK is an Elf, because I wanted one and I liked the way they looked.

Hmm I've been looking forward to that skill, and making a lot of my equipment choices based on parry score bonuses. May have to rethink a bit.

In my defense it's been working really well so far (still crushing Evendim).

I wish they could rip of some of the movie designs a bit more. There's a lot of loving ugly armour in this game.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

sassassin posted:

Hmm I've been looking forward to that skill, and making a lot of my equipment choices based on parry score bonuses. May have to rethink a bit.

In my defense it's been working really well so far (still crushing Evendim).

I wish they could rip of some of the movie designs a bit more. There's a lot of loving ugly armour in this game.

If you're having fun, don't worry about what is best, play with what you enjoy. My Guardian is a Hobbit, because even though in raw numbers terms it is slightly worse than a Human Guardian, I like the way they look, and being able to flop on the floor while main tanking a raid causes me great amusement.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
So this is a pretty "by the numbers" MMO by today's standards? Just with all the good LOTR flavor.

Ya know, target enemy, press skills to make things die on a rotation, talk to dude with big symbol on their head, get 10 bear asses, go to the next dude with the big symbol on their head, type of gameplay? Mostly solo-play, with optional grouping for dungeons, and raiding at the "end-game".

Not saying that's bad or anything. I haven't played that style in a while, wouldn't mind it again for a bit.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Vaxine posted:

It's their "The Hobbit" promo tie-ins. Erebor is the name of the mountain Bilbo and crew are heading for.

Vaxine
Apr 3, 2005

Hello Sailor posted:

It's their "The Hobbit" promo tie-ins. Erebor is the name of the mountain Bilbo and crew are heading for.

I figured that. Just caught me by surprise and now need people to do them with!

3 Stacked Midgets
Jul 29, 2004
Triple Threat

xZAOx posted:

So this is a pretty "by the numbers" MMO by today's standards? Just with all the good LOTR flavor.

Ya know, target enemy, press skills to make things die on a rotation, talk to dude with big symbol on their head, get 10 bear asses, go to the next dude with the big symbol on their head, type of gameplay? Mostly solo-play, with optional grouping for dungeons, and raiding at the "end-game".

Not saying that's bad or anything. I haven't played that style in a while, wouldn't mind it again for a bit.

Yes. The raiding is much lighter and lower pressure than in harder-core games.

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

xZAOx posted:

That's mostly what it is. There's plenty of gear and minmaxing to be had if you're into that, but the best part (to me at least) is the exploration of the world and adventuring in general.

3 Stacked Midgets posted:

Yes. The raiding is much lighter and lower pressure than in harder-core games.

Also this. I play on the EU Laurelin server and don't think most players there even care about the raids. Everyone seems to go for the smaller 3-6 player instances.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007

SeaTard posted:

If you're having fun, don't worry about what is best, play with what you enjoy. My Guardian is a Hobbit, because even though in raw numbers terms it is slightly worse than a Human Guardian, I like the way they look, and being able to flop on the floor while main tanking a raid causes me great amusement.

I have this problem where I want to make a Hobbit everything, then occasionally I watch Return of the King and the Rohirrim charge at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields makes me want to be a Man everything.

Luckily right now I am a Dwarf so I can avoid all of that, especially once the Hobbit is out on DVD. I'm kind of a Dwarf slut.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

The Weekly store sale, this week's ad:
"Get in game! Log in to find out what's on sale this week"
And it now redirects to the sales stored at a subdomain called "archive"
http://archive.lotro.com/lotrostoresale/

I don't know what their angle is here, but I hope they aren't doing away with advertising sales on the web. I liked checking the new ones from work, sussing out the character-specific sales will be a big pain in the rear end for people with lots of alts, and the store interface in game is terrible on high-traffic days. Like the day new sales drop.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
That actually reminds me- thank you to whoever suggested disabling autodetecting a proxy for my issue with the slow store. Worked like a charm.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

The Walker posted:

That actually reminds me- thank you to whoever suggested disabling autodetecting a proxy for my issue with the slow store. Worked like a charm.

Yeah that should be in the OP, honestly. Finally the store is responsive!

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
If they're hiding sales behind a login, I'd check out Casual Stroll to Mordor (casualstrolltomordor.com). They are very quick to list the sales and are my go-to LOTRO news site.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Make sure you are also checking the lottery page a few times a week, if not daily.

http://my.lotro.com/home/lottery

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Is anyone else completely unable to log in to my.lotro using their game login info? I submitted a ticket like a week and a half ago and never heard back. I know someone mentioned the same problem last thread, so maybe whoever they are found a solution.

Vaxine
Apr 3, 2005

Radio! posted:

Is anyone else completely unable to log in to my.lotro using their game login info? I submitted a ticket like a week and a half ago and never heard back. I know someone mentioned the same problem last thread, so maybe whoever they are found a solution.

I have submitted 3 tickets now over a period of about 4 months. Each time they get changed to some other kind of ticket (can't remember what) and then I hear nothing at all. I REALLY want to take part in the lotteries too!

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

Vaxine posted:

If your on around 10:30 est tonight i will run all of them with you. Im sitting at 32 on my captain right now. If its anything like the Weathertop epic questline instance, its going to be great! :black101:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Vaxine posted:

I have submitted 3 tickets now over a period of about 4 months. Each time they get changed to some other kind of ticket (can't remember what) and then I hear nothing at all. I REALLY want to take part in the lotteries too!

Glad to know I'm not the only one that has gone through this. Really makes me want to spend money on the game, let me tell you. :sigh:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Just finished the newbie intro area on my new elf hunter, named Leghoulaz (just kidding...well, not about the elf hunter, but in as Bruman, thanks for the guild invite!)

So far, while it's pretty standard, it is well done. Runs great, no bugs, max settings on my aging PC and still smooth as butter, and I'm finding it enjoyable. I liked the little mini-dungeons I've had to explore so far.

Couple of nub questions:

-Any reasons why I shouldn't use medium armor? I keep getting options use to light from quest rewards.
-I was about to vendor the "trophy" loot, but noticed it said, in bold red letters, "may be used for task turn-ins". What is that, and do I care?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

The Walker posted:

A second thanks to them and I feel stupid for not trying it sooner; I always thought those settings only affected Internet Explorer. Drastic improvement.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Radio! posted:

That may have been me; I filed a ticket and after a bit of back-and-forth insistence that yes, I've done everything the faq says, they fixed it so I could get in.

Then I went computerless for 8mo and when I got set up again the problem came back. I submitted a ticket, nothing happened. I haven't really played since, just because come on.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Glad to know I'm not the only one that has gone through this. Really makes me want to spend money on the game, let me tell you. :sigh:

I had the same problem. Following these steps exactly worked for me.

First, log into http://myaccount.turbine.com and make sure that your email address is up to date. You will need to be able to receive email in a future step.

After checking your contact information, log back out of myAccount and click on the "forgotten your password" link on the main page. Follow those steps to reset your password. When resetting your password, make sure it's between 8 and 12 characters and only using the pre-approved letters, digits, and symbols.

After changing your password, make sure the change has worked by logging into both myAccount once more and logging into the game. This step will confirm to our servers that your password has changed.

Finally, attempt once more to log into the community site.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Still no dice for me. Any other suggestions? :sigh:

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Radio! posted:

Still no dice for me. Any other suggestions? :sigh:

No sorry, It took me about 5 tickets sent in before they finally sent that and it worked for me.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
I'd just like to know how you guys end up with that setting enabled in the first place. It's a largely unnecessary compatibility feature that is supposed to be disabled by default and only enabled if you know what you're doing (like actually using a proxy, but even then you'd set it up yourself).

Radio! posted:

Also, could you be more specific? Do you get an error message when you try? What browser?

I started visited my.lotro.com for the first time in a while and was finding myself logged out randomly while I browsed, and I fixed it by deleting every cookie set by the website (there were about 12).

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 11, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Captain Backslap posted:

I'd just like to know how you guys end up with that setting enabled in the first place. It's a largely unnecessary compatibility feature that is supposed to be disabled by default and only enabled if you know what you're doing (like actually using a proxy, but even then you'd set it up yourself).
If you mean the "automatically detect settings" option under LAN settings in internet explorer, I found it enabled on both my installations of Windows 7. If it's not on by default, then something unrelated to proxies had to have toggled it because I don't ever bother to touch iexplore's settings- just run it once long enough to download another browser.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Captain Backslap posted:

Also, could you be more specific? Do you get an error message when you try? What browser?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting the message "Authentication Failure, please make sure you're using your game login and try again." I've tried it in Chrome and Firefox.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Have you tried changing your pw? Sounds like their databases are out of sync.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Captain Backslap posted:

It's enabled by default on every version of IE I've seen. This is speaking as someone who does desktop support for a living. I've also never actually used IE9 on my current install outside of downloading Firefox.

The really weird thing was that it worked perfectly fine for quite some time and then chose one day completely at random to break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Maybe I just turned it off a while ago for some other reason.

• Locked thread