Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Yea Brent was definitely creeping on that girl hard last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

I'm not surprised since they brought it up so much during the baseball playoffs.

Meanwhile, Rob Parker was fired for those RG3 comments he made last month:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/08/espn-fires-rob-parker/
He probably wasn't fired for the original "Cornball Brother" comments as much for the follow up to the comments he made to a Detroit show of some sort last week:

Rob Parker via Deadspin posted:

I mean looking back on some of the comments I can see where people can take it out of context and run with it. But the response and what happened over the past 30 days with everything was just shocking.

As you look back now, if I could have stopped all of this—it was never meant to condemn the young man. RG III is a great young man with a bright future. It was more about concerns, not condemning him.

It was just a conversation that's had in the black community when athletes or famous entertainers or whatever push away from their people. And that's really what it was about. We saw with OJ Simpson and some other people where they say, 'I'm not black, I'm OJ.' So it's more about that, not about RG III and what's going on. It's more about this thing we've battled for years about why people have pushed away from their people.

I mean, we had a discussion inside a pre-production meeting. And not every single word but they knew which way we were going. I think, it's not just off the cuff, obviously.

I think [ESPN was] really hurt by it, you know what I mean? The backlash that came from it. It wasn't meant in that vein at all. I think the people and the producers and everyone on that show—we just didn't think of it that way. We weren't trying to slam the kid, we were trying to be able to tackle these issues. The one thing I'm proud about being on that show, First Take, for the last six years is that we are willing to tackle a lot of stuff that most shows won't even touch or even discuss. I think it's important, I think we've done it in really good way. This is the first time really we've been in hot water dealing with such an issue.

haljordan posted:

Yea Brent was definitely creeping on that girl hard last night.

In half an hour after The Brent creeped on her during the NCG last night, she went from 5,000 Twitter followers to 180,000.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 9, 2013

midwat
May 6, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

He probably wasn't fired for the original "Cornball Brother" comments as much for the follow up to the comments he made to a Detroit show of some sort last week:

Make racist statements on air? One month suspension.

Imply ESPN is imperfect in any way? That's a firin'.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mike Alden, supergenius.

midwat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZEGv7RtfCI

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Crazy Ted posted:

In half an hour after The Brent creeped on her during the NCG last night, she went from 5,000 Twitter followers to 180,000.

Most of whom then proceeded to creep on her there, like Darnell Dockett http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/1/7/3849286/katherine-webb-aj-mccarron-girlfriend-darnell-dockett

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Ahahah AJ McCarron owns.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

midwat posted:

I think there was a twofold problem in that set of snippets I quoted. First: what you mentioned, but I imagine any network that has an employee say "OH THEY TOTALLY KNEW I WAS GOING TO TALK ABOUT THAT ON THE AIR!" is going to act all pissed off even if it's true. Second: it comes across as about an 80% backtrack from his apology, and all he does is screw himself over there.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It's only tangentially related to sports journalism at this point, but AJ Daulerio is leaving Gawker.

midwat
May 6, 2007

morestuff posted:

It's only tangentially related to sports journalism at this point, but AJ Daulerio is leaving Gawker.

Did his pact with Satan expire?

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Dude made more than $100,000 a year at Gawker and has connections upon connections. I get the whole "not wanting to work for a while" but it's also kind of puzzling if he doesn't have something immediately lined up.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Dude made more than $100,000 a year at Gawker

Only registered members can see post attachments!

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Wait is AJ Daulerio really Cat Marnell's boyfriend? That would explain a lot about weird decision making.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

leokitty posted:

Wait is AJ Daulerio really Cat Marnell's boyfriend? That would explain a lot about weird decision making.

It makes so much sense when you think about it.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

AsInHowe posted:

It makes so much sense when you think about it.

I had no idea who she is so I looked her up.

The sex has to be off the loving hook.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I had no idea who she is so I looked her up.

The sex has to be off the loving hook.

It has to be insane. Literally, insane.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
SB Nation did a fun look back at all the weird, obscure poo poo ESPN used to air. See how many of these you recognize

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/1/14/3767596/old-espn-tv-shows

E: Looks like Stuart Scott's cancer came back.

https://twitter.com/StuartScott/status/290987976622755841

I didn't even know he had it the first time.

Benne fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 15, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Benne posted:

SB Nation did a fun look back at all the weird, obscure poo poo ESPN used to air. See how many of these you recognize

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/1/14/3767596/old-espn-tv-shows

They're missing "Speedworld", which is not the same as "NASCAR on ESPN", because they used to show a ton of autoracing events ranging from Sprint Cars to the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. ESPN killed it in the early 2000's, and when they got the NASCAR rights back they pretty much took a giant piss over their great motorsports coverage in the past by making it terrible.

RPM2Night was badass too.

Madden Nation, ugh. That was cringeworthy as all hell. I found it really depressing that the guys who'd "pick" a team for Madden were never actually legit fans of the team, and just chose them as a strategy. It just seemed to be a collection of posers that looked like they all looked up to Fred Durst growiing up.

A better show would have been to have NFL Stars play each other, or to focus on the Madden Tourney that happens at the Super Bowl every year.

Cheap Seats owned. Long Live Steve Garvey!

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Deadspin just dropped a Very Large Bomb
http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-t...dium=socialflow

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Everyone always shits on Deadspin but goddamn

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

That is the craziest poo poo I have read in a long time.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Well scratch my back with a hacksaw, that sure is some wild poo poo.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
That's certainly a thing.

:staredog:

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
That article is just fascinating.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
holy poo poo

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Usually athletes leave inventing fake narratives to the press, not themselves.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

That's the creepiest loving thing; goddamn

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FairGame posted:

That's the creepiest loving thing; goddamn

Up until we discover that Te'o is homosexual and he created the narrative to help keep a relationship from a homophobic culture.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
That would be really sad, but regardless of motivation faking a girlfriend who dies of a car crash and cancer is three levels of insane skullduggery past just faking a girlfriend.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Toffile posted:

Up until we discover that Te'o is homosexual and he created the narrative to help keep a relationship from a homophobic culture.

The most plausible explanation for this convoluted deception, sadly

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm pretty sure the dude just wanted a Heisman and tried to create a huge, weird narrative of how he played through some serious adversity. That is some crazy poo poo.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

A friend posted this on Facebook, and the headline crop makes it seem like a much different story.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Wow:

(check the dates)

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Ouch. I guess college football really is peak entertainment value this year.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

seiferguy posted:

Wow:

(check the dates)

Account created today, one tweet.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Why is everybody falling for the fake joke Lennay Kekua account

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!

stuart scott irl posted:

Why is everybody falling for the fake joke Lennay Kekua account

Falling for fake tweets seems to be the thing to to these days.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Reporting and follow-ups seem to have settled for the day with the statements issued by the university and by Te'o.

It really doesn't wash with previous and very public statements he made about the amount of time spent on the phone with a woman and I am going to be loving pissed if everyone lets it go.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Badfinger posted:

That would be really sad, but regardless of motivation faking a girlfriend who dies of a car crash and cancer is three levels of insane skullduggery past just faking a girlfriend.

Don't forget that she supposedly died on the same day as his real grandma really died for real!

And yeah, the statements about being on the phone with her are a big inconsistency. Not to mention that they supposedly first met in person. Either there was a woman involved in the hoax or Te'o and his dad have to be in on it.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I know I take my fair number of shots at Deadspin but holy poo poo did they clown the rest of the media. You know it absolutely killed ESPN to have to cite them by name (and not just with that "SOURCES" or "REPORTS" bullshit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

haljordan posted:

I know I take my fair number of shots at Deadspin but holy poo poo did they clown the rest of the media. You know it absolutely killed ESPN to have to cite them by name (and not just with that "SOURCES" or "REPORTS" bullshit).

ESPN sat on the story for reasons unknown.