Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.

JBark posted:

My sister's current pregnancy is this. Definitely twins early on, but only one had a heartbeat at 10 weeks or so, obviously wasn't growing on a scan a few weeks later, and last I heard it's completely absorbed and gone. Other baby is completely fine and she's due in a few weeks. She was told it was extremely common with twins/triplets/etc... Her Dr said some estimates are around 30%. I guess it's only the increased use of early ultrasound that we even know about the vanishing twins that never develop from the beginning and are absorbed right away.

Might even be higher, since it's still pretty common practice in many places to not have an actual ultrasound until 18 weeks or so. Just doppler before then, which would never catch it.

I think it is so weird that they don't mention it at all at the office. Had I not read anything I'd be likely stuck in the "yay twins" mentality which would make it so much harder later on if something did happen. I'm still scared of it happening but at least with a warning I'm not sitting here banking on two till the end. I almost wish they hadn't looked to begin with...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

MoCookies posted:

I just wanted to add something to the natural childbirth conversation from the last page. I don't think one can/should just "try" natural childbirth, I think you need to actively plan for it, if that's what you really want to do. Admittedly, Nolan's birth was difficult and painful (6+ hours of pushing), but I managed to get through it without drugs only because I had practiced pain management techniques daily throughout the pregnancy, and because I had a team around me who knew that I really did want to avoid pain meds. In the moment though, I would have agreed to absolutely anything to get the misery to end, up to and including giving the baby away. I honestly forgot that there was a baby for awhile - I couldn't even think on that rational level. I know some people have relatively easy births and aren't even tempted to say "gently caress it, get me the epidural", but that wasn't my experience.

If there's a next time, I will still go the natural route. However, I will also be doing an hour of serious yoga and strengthening exercises every day, despite feeling nauseated. Pushing out a person takes major physical as well as mental strength, and I regret neglecting the physical conditioning side of things during pregnancy. I definitely recommend reading Ina May Gaskin, and I had a mostly positive experience using Hypnobabies for pain management.

I find this to be an incredibly helpful post, and it makes a huge amount of sense. I really haven't been doing strengthening like I should have been, and was out of shape to begin with. I think part of my thing was just fear of judgement.. like I'd be less of a mom or something, which I know is ridiculous because I'd NEVER think that of someone else!

On another note, I've had a weird sort of detachment the past couple days, like "WHAT IF I'M NOT REALLY PREGNANT?!". Asinine, because I'm really excited about the baby, feel him kicking ALL THE TIME, and I look pregnant as hell. Anyone else ever get that?

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 21, 2017

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Make sure you're staying hydrated.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

I've been having BH contractions since like 25 weeks, some days are better than others, but I do have them every day.

I've had a couple of pelvic exams during pregnancy due to bleeding and stuff and they've all hurt (and sex has been impossible since about 3 months ago) so I figured cervix checks will hurt. My pregnancy book mentioned it too.

Dr checked my cervix 2 weeks ago because I was having a lot of discharge, was beginning to efface at that point so I'm curious to see if there's any change at my appointment next week. As tired as I am of being pregnant I really hope he stays put until he's due. I'm not ready yet.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Got a product safety warning email from Amazon about the Fisher-Price Rock'n'Play sleeper. Since it's something I got based off recommendations from this thread, I thought I'd pass it on in case anyone else got one too:

Mold warning, voluntary recall.

Checking mine out now, not expecting to find anything. It continues to be a very handy thing in our house.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Can a 9 month old eat raspberries? I'm in such a good mood today I went sorta crazy and have been making up a ton of baby food. We probably had the healthiest shopping cart in the entire store! Anyhow, I have this notion to combine the butternut squash I'm cooking right now with some raspberries, and purée it all together. I just want to make sure it's okay as there are minuscule seeds (although not much and too small to present a choking hazard)...I just don't know!

So far I've made peach pear mango slop, some spinach carrot grape slop, and some kiwi blueberry oatmeal. Plenty of each to last for days. In my opinion, they are all delicious. I also have some split peas, lentils, barley, quinoa, and black beans that I'm going to cook up in various ways. Hey, this is fun! :haw:

e: ehhhh, nevermind on the butternut squash raspberry, they didn't taste even close to as good together as I hoped. Good thing I tested before I made the slurry! Hmm, what else could I mix with this squash? Question still stands about the raspberries, though. :)

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 10, 2013

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

My daughter was eating raspberries, whole, at 6 months :) Even if your baby is only used to purees they should be well able for some textures and finger foods by 9 months!

Sweet potato is a good one to use; babies usually like that from what I've seen. Carrot also!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, she's been eating (baby) solids for a while now, and she's getting really good at finger foods. I just got a wild hare up my rear end to make baby food en masse today, not sure why. :downs:

And incidentally, I already have two sweet potatoes cooking right now. :D

e: Oh, blueberries go really well with that squash. This kid is eating so much better than I am. :P

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 10, 2013

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I just started with the purees thing, but so far I'm cooking and freezing things separately in ice cube trays. Then I can combine individual servings when I thaw and heat them up, so I don't end up with a whole lot of something that he may not be a fan of. And it means I can sweet potato and chicken one night while doing apple and chicken the next.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

We (me and Eve) just kinda wandered through the produce department saying, "Maybe you'd like this! Let's get one."

The ice cube tray is an interesting idea, although the way this curmudgeon eats these days, I'd need an ice tray that made 8oz. ice cubes at least. :v:

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Mnemosyne posted:

I just started with the purees thing, but so far I'm cooking and freezing things separately in ice cube trays. Then I can combine individual servings when I thaw and heat them up, so I don't end up with a whole lot of something that he may not be a fan of. And it means I can sweet potato and chicken one night while doing apple and chicken the next.

I just started on this the other day, so far I have a few trays of pumpkin & sweet potato mash, plus one each of apple, peach and pear.

I have some peas & silverbeet to do today, plus some carrots. I did have some leftover roast chicken which I was going to puree up with some gravy but, uhh.. it was lunchtime and my sandwich was more important. I can always make more chicken.

I mashed about a tablespoon of banana yesterday to try on him and while he ate it all, he actually shuddered in disgust at one point because there was a lump that wasn't as mashed as the rest.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Got a product safety warning email from Amazon about the Fisher-Price Rock'n'Play sleeper. Since it's something I got based off recommendations from this thread, I thought I'd pass it on in case anyone else got one too:

Mold warning, voluntary recall.

Checking mine out now, not expecting to find anything. It continues to be a very handy thing in our house.

I have the monkey rock n play. Not sure if its in the same recall, but it seems to boil down to "don't be gross and wash your poo poo" for the issue.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005
On the epidural/natural birth topic that was mostly covered a few pages back- I have done it both ways. Both times I went into it intending to go natural but figuring I'd do the epidural if I felt I needed to.

With my first I listened to the hypnobabies CDs in the weeks leading up to labor but didn't think to play them during labor. And honestly hearing the people talk about pressure waves and saying it wasn't painful would have annoyed me during labor because it hurts. It's not just pressure. It loving hurts.

Anyway with my first I went into labor at 1:30 AM, got to the hospital around 4 or so and was only 2.5 cm. I got checked again after about 6 hours of labor and was told I was 5cm and would have a few hours left to go at the very least so I opted for the epidural. As it turned out I was in transition then and that's why I was having so much trouble dealing with the pain. Somehow I had missed the tidbit that when you feel like you can't do it anymore you are probably in transition. That is incredibly true. I didn't even end up with a catheter with him because after the 20 or so minutes of getting fluids I got the epidural and then as soon as I felt it start to work I also felt the urge to push and was complete. So I had the epidural for pushing, pushed him out in 10 minutes, got sewed up and epidural taken out. Total labor with him was 7 hours.

With my second I did absolutely nothing to prepare. I just figured I'd go with the flow. The night before I went into real labor I had a lovely night of contractions that came anywhere from 10 to 3 minutes apart but never got stronger and helpfully mostly stopped by 6 AM, just in time for my son to be up. Then next night I went into labor around midnight or maybe a little earlier. I got in the shower at home and also let the tub fill up and used water for pain management a bit. We got to the hospital around 4 and I was 5 cm dilated. Got me checked in and I went in the tub as soon as that was done (took about an hour) and stayed there until the need to stand outweighed the comfort from the water. Got out and labored some more with some very difficult contractions and started getting pressure, laid in bed once I felt the need to push until doctor got there and pushed him out in 2 contractions once doctor got there. Total labor with him was also about 7 hours. Which felt like a ripoff because subsequent labors are supposed to be faster ;) Then placenta delivery, which hurt way more than anticipated, and got a numbing shot and got sewed up. Was moving around much quicker after him, it seemed like the tear didn't hurt as bad.

In any case I was more prepared for a natural birth the time I got the epidural than the time I didn't with the exception of having been through labor before. The biggest things that made it more manageable the second time around were that he wasn't posterior so no back labor and I had a timeline. I know not all second births are quicker than the first but if I remember correctly most are and I looked at the clock and could give myself goals. The main reason I got the epidural the first time was the unknown factor. I didn't know how much longer it was going to last and didn't want to be dealing with that pain for potentially another 5 hours or more. Second time when it got horrible I figured I was in transition and didn't want to get an epidural when I was 8.5 cm dilated. I think that if you really want to go natural it helps to be as informed as possible but also flexible. Make sure your doctor knows you want to do it without pain relief if that is your desire and find out what alternative pain management is available where you are giving birth. And remember that when you can't take it anymore you are probably about ready to push.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Also, get a fluid IV even if you don't think you'll need it for an epidural. I didn't get a fluid IV at first since I wanted to do it naturally. I was eventually put on pitocin and for some reason my doctor and nurse didn't also give me the regular fluid IV to go with it. A lot of people I talk to said that was really strange since thats pretty much standard procedure once you get pitocin. After hours on pitocin it caused my contractions to become unbearable and I had been in labor for almost 20 hours by that point so I was exhausted and sobbing and crying I broke down and consented to one, I had to wait an hour for a fluid IV to get into my system. Don't go through that if you don't have to. It was really hard to finally agree to pain management because it got to a point I couldn't handle and be told you have to wait an hour. They gave me narcotics, but it only lasted about 10 minutes before I had breakthrough pain. It took about a half hour from epidural until I started pushing.

If you are going all natural, also consider a doula. I will most definitely have one next time.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Bad Munki posted:

We (me and Eve) just kinda wandered through the produce department saying, "Maybe you'd like this! Let's get one."

The ice cube tray is an interesting idea, although the way this curmudgeon eats these days, I'd need an ice tray that made 8oz. ice cubes at least. :v:

For larger portions, you could try the Pinterest favorite of freezing it in a muffin tin. I think each hole in the tin is 4oz.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ooh, interesting. Might have to try that. Right now I've got a lot of it in containers in the fridge while I decide what and how much will get frozen, but that would work very nicely.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Can a 9 month old eat raspberries? I'm in such a good mood today I went sorta crazy and have been making up a ton of baby food. We probably had the healthiest shopping cart in the entire store! Anyhow, I have this notion to combine the butternut squash I'm cooking right now with some raspberries, and purée it all together. I just want to make sure it's okay as there are minuscule seeds (although not much and too small to present a choking hazard)...I just don't know!

So far I've made peach pear mango slop, some spinach carrot grape slop, and some kiwi blueberry oatmeal. Plenty of each to last for days. In my opinion, they are all delicious. I also have some split peas, lentils, barley, quinoa, and black beans that I'm going to cook up in various ways. Hey, this is fun! :haw:

e: ehhhh, nevermind on the butternut squash raspberry, they didn't taste even close to as good together as I hoped. Good thing I tested before I made the slurry! Hmm, what else could I mix with this squash? Question still stands about the raspberries, though. :)

The good thing about raspberries is that your baby can smash them into puree itself. As long as you don't mind hosing it down afterwards.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Lullabee posted:

How sore are you after giving birth? Cause I haven't done anything to strengthen myself and I'm curious how much pain I'll be in.

This varied widely among my friends, but I had a quick and easy recovery, all things considered. The natural high from giving birth was loving amazing, and I felt like I could kick rear end and run around the building as soon as my son was out. I suspect those hormones also give you amnesia. Logically I know that during labor I was in a lot of pain for a long time, but I literally remember almost nothing between finding out I was 5 cm dilated and then going home with a baby. If I didn't have pictures and the midwives' notes, I'd be hard pressed to give any details with certainty. I suspect that's what people mean when they say it's all worth it once you have the baby in your arms - between the sleep-deprivation and the hormones, you honestly can't remember WTF happened.

Part of the reason I gave birth in the birth center is that they let you go home as soon as you feel ready. I went in at noon on Thursday, Nolan was born just after midnight, and was happily back at home by 3pm on Friday. I felt normal-ish almost immediately, just a little dizzy, but mostly sore. You know when you get on a health kick and REALLY overdo it at the gym? My arms, back, legs, abdomen, neck, and calves felt miserably sore like that for 4 or 5 days. My hobbling around the house that first week had nothing to do with my vag. My ladybits healed quickly, even though I had some tearing and got stitches. I worried a lot, but it all healed just fine. I think the compresses and massage that the midwives did for me is probably the reason for that, though I hardly remember it happening. My back ached off and on for about a month, but I understand that's a pretty normal thing since your ab muscles are all stretched out and loose, which makes your back work harder to compensate.

The only long-term, hard part of physically recovering from the birth was dealing with the hemorrhoids I got from pushing. Take the time now to make a plan for ensuring you get enough fiber every day for the first weeks. Make sure that the people making/ordering your food know about the fiber thing, too. It was easy to eat junk, and lose track of what I was eating during the sleep-deprived haze. And then I'd end up sobbing pathetically on the toilet. Don't underestimate the power of a daily bowl of oatmeal.

Jeez, I always write the longest posts, despite trying to be concise. I hope my novel is helpful, though. :)

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I'm planning for an epidural, but I'm somewhat interested in looking into having a doula as well. I've got anxiety issues, and I'm a bit fearful of how I'm going to be on the day of delivery. I'm hoping I'll keep positive, because right now I have been thinking good thoughts about the delivery and how awesome it will be to hold the baby, but I'm scared I might end up over-thinking and getting terrified and get panic-y when the time comes and I'm in pain and knowing what is about to happen to my poor vag.

My husband is a sweetheart, but he's not a talkative type, and I'm not sure how good he'll be at soothing my fears when it comes to labor.

Would people think I'm crazy looking for a doula even though I don't plan to go natural? I just think with my anxiety it might help to have someone there by my side knowing all the right things to say to root for me.

Do insurances usually help cover the cost of a doula or does it just depend, and how expensive are they? Where do I even look for one, I guess I should ask my doctor?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
The girl that taught our birthing class called herself an "epi-doula". Our friend who was the Doula for us we specifically asked her will she feel let down if wife get's an epidural. So there are Doula's out there who will support whatever your birth plan is. Just be upfront with them and let them know what you want from them.

The nurse is coming in and out of the room sporadically and the doctor comes in and out even less so having a Doula in the room with you the whole time was really nice for us. Plus she remembers to move you into different positions and what you should be doing at certain times. Ours also did pressure point massage to keep the labor moving along. Make sure the Doula is someone you will be able to stand being with for a sleepless night though. You don't want someone who you will annoy you.

She charged $200 to stay with us from the time we checked in the hospital til the baby came. 28 hours of labor and she was our friend so there was also a big tip in her check.

EDIT: There are 3 types of Doula's. Antepartum, postpartum and Birth. You want the Birth Doula obviously.

Hdip fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 11, 2013

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
Doula's don't care what type of labor you plan on having, they're just there to be a coach and to support you through whatever happens. Our insurance did not cover the doula, but I imagine if the your hospital has some sort of doula program then it would be at least partially covered. I think most doula's charge around $500-$1000 but I'm not really sure, ours was a friend of ours.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
I don't think I would have agreed to work with a doula who wouldn't consider an epidural. We went in planning for natural but got an epidural around 23 hours, and our doula was great through the whole thing. It probably didn't hurt that she was a former L&D nurse though. The cost was around $350 if memory serves (no insurance coverage for those services), but we also live in a relatively inexpensive part of the states. I imagine it would cost substantially more in places like NYC or Boston.

Speaking on the subject of post-partum recovery and healing, my wife had great results with frozen witch hazel pads. As earthy and non-sciency as they sound, we found them recommended on the Mayo Clinic's website, and they worked wonders.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Ratatozsk posted:

Speaking on the subject of post-partum recovery and healing, my wife had great results with frozen witch hazel pads. As earthy and non-sciency as they sound, we found them recommended on the Mayo Clinic's website, and they worked wonders.

I was sent home from the hospital with a can of Dermoplast and 2 containers of witch hazel pads. Even at room temp, they feel really cool and soothing. I remember a few times I just lined my underwear with them and wore them around.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Aaaaargh, I just ruined daycare for myself, at least for the moment. :(

I dropped Eve off this morning, everything was great, and I came home to grab a shower. As I was getting out of the shower, I realized I'd forgotten to bring in her blanket, so I got dressed, grabbed the blanket, and headed down to the daycare, since it's just a mile or so down the road.

So I go in, head to the back where Eve's room is, and two of the kids were asleep, the lady was holding a third, and Eve was in a high chair crying. I mean, I know that what was really going on there was she was just waiting her turn for a bottle and then her nap, but I felt this compulsion to not interfere, so I didn't really try to console her or anything...the lady holding the baby hopped up and gave her some cheerios, and I put in Eve's mouth, but I guess she was too upset to actually eat it, and she felt pretty warm, two things I recognize in her as a sign of more than just being a fuss. I am absolutely certain that all it would take to make her completely happy would be to give her a bottle and lay her down in her crib, because I've dealt with that mode before. I said something along the lines of, "Oh, looks like someone's ready for a snack and a nap," but didn't go any further than that. I don't want to make the staff there feel like they're being judged because I showed up in the middle of the day unannounced, but on the other hand, I also know that this is only Eve's third day and we're still in that adjustment period, both for Eve and for the staff, so I feel like I should be allowed to offer hints as to how to handle Eve.

What bothers me the most though is that I didn't pick her up to console her at least a LITTLE. Like I said, I don't want to be one of those parents that just hovers around all the time, but now I feel really bad for showing my face when she was in distress, and then barely touching her and leaving while she was still upset. For what it's worth, this wasn't her "real distress" cry, it was just her "I'm tired and a little hungry" cry. Still, I'm a little annoyed that she was just in the high seat waiting and crying...I mean, there wasn't even a toy up there (although, in their defense, if there had been, she almost certainly would have thrown it on the floor, where I didn't look, so that may have actually been the case.) If it was ME taking care of her, when she got to that stage, I would have laid her down and given her a bottle, as she can handle it just fine with zero spills or squirts, if she's laying down.

So now all I can think about is not having consoled her when she was clearly asking for it. I know she'll be fine, but it's all I can think about and it's kind of spoiling this for me. ARGH.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 11, 2013

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Our daycare has a rule that babies cannot be in a crib with a bottle, it has to be fed by a teacher. That may be what was going on. Try to remember this is an adjustment period for BOTH of you. It's hard to trust someone enough to let them take care of your baby. My daughter is 2 (today, actually!) and has been in daycare since about 8 months old. My husband is a teacher and they spend summers home together. She always has a rough time for a couple of weeks in September, and sometimes after a long weekend. The teachers are learning how best to take care of her, too. One time recently, I forgot my daughter's nap mat and I actually snuck into her school to give it to the teacher because I knew if she saw me, all hell would break lose. :) She was running around playing and having fun, and it made me so happy. I promise it will get better!

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
I don't think it's such a bad thing to give yourself an "out," I personally would rather have the epidural than put myself through hours of stress and agony just so I could say I did it "naturally." For every epidural nightmare story you hear there's probably hundreds of uneventful, healthy births.

Bad Munki, stop going! Eve is going to have to get used to daycare and they're going to have to get used to her, you're just stressing yourself out. If it's not something she'd be seriously uncomfortable without (food, diapers) just let it go.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, that's basically the rule I'm setting for myself from here on out. And I know I'll get over it, especially once I pick her up this evening and she's all smiley and wiggly on the way home like Wednesday. It'll help once I've gotten used to packing up the right things by rote, too, then I won't even have to think about it and second guess myself. "Does she REALLY need <item>? I don't know! Maybe. Maybe not! I'll take it down there just in case." Of course, it doesn't help that my schedule is intensely flexible and the day care is super close, so making a run down there is perhaps too easy.

I know it gets better, and we're only at day 3 anyhow. It's just one of those things where I need to tell someone because OH GOD MY PRECIOUS SNOWFLAKE FARTED AND I WASN'T THERE TO COMFORT HER AND AND AND :derp:

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
I've had both a natural birth (wasn't by choice, for 3 days they kept sending me home, the last time I went in I was 9cm and couldn't get an epidural) and the other I was induced and took the epidural right away with the pitocin. Recovery from the natural birth was terrible, I felt like I got hit by a bus for 2 weeks, but I was also in labor for 3 days and severely dehydrated so I know that made it a whole lot rougher. As far as being induced, I had the baby I think 9 hours later and recovery was a breeze...no idea if it was because it was my 2nd, or labor was so short or the epidural..but I was taking a newborn and a 2 year old to target within a week.

For the 3rd, I'm still on the fence about what I am going to do. I probably won't make up my mind till I'm walking into L&D and I see how things are progressing.

Even if you have a plan, things can change at a moments notice. My only "birth plan" with my first was an epidural..didn't happen. My only "birth plan" for my 2nd was a c-section because she was breech..didn't happen. At this point I'm not even going to speculate what might happen with my 3rd lol.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

How active were your babies at any ultrasound you had around 17ish weeks? We had one today (it's a boy!) and he wasn't super active which made me a little concerned. The ultrasound tech said it wasn't a big deal, but I am getting a little nervous now.

He was tucked up into a pike position (feet up by his head-- at one point he was actually peering at us through his legs) and he moved his arms and legs around and turned his head a bit but he didn't really do any of the somersaulting/flip flopping/ etc that every source ever tells me is happening at 17 weeks. He didn't come out of the pike position really.

Heart rate was in the 150's.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?

sheri posted:

How active were your babies at any ultrasound you had around 17ish weeks?

My baby laid back and chilled with her knees up and her hand in the classic southern belle formation over her head at week 17. She didn't really move the whole time. At week 20, though, we actually got a video from the ultrasound people of her wiggling around in there :) (I was enrolled in a study so i got a ridiculous amount of ultrasounds).

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 21, 2017

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Following on from the pain control discussions before I read this article today, really it's just a conversation piece about medical intervention and how the focus on all natural births can be detrimental to those who need intervention as it can lead to them feeling like failures.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/11/caesareans-natural-birth-kirstie-allsopp

I think there might be a bit of a difference between the US and the UK because of differences in pregnancy care (e.g. the fact we tend to be looked after by midwives whereas in the US it seems to be more doctors and difference in the way the services are paid for) but in general I did think it had a good point that natural childbirth classes that either ignored the subject of ceseareans or epdurals or presented them as terrible last options were unhelpful and demoralising to people who ended up needing them.

Personally my view has always been find out as much as you can but not to get too attached to a birth plan as things could change. To be honest that's what I find the scariest part of childbirth - not the pain but the complete lack of control over my body.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

sheri posted:

How active were your babies at any ultrasound you had around 17ish weeks? We had one today (it's a boy!) and he wasn't super active which made me a little concerned. The ultrasound tech said it wasn't a big deal, but I am getting a little nervous now.

Mine pretty much did a breakdance at 9 and 16 weeks. I'm thinking i'm gonna get a hypersensitive baby here.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Mine looked like it was air-humping at 12 weeks. at 16 weeks it was bouncing around when the dr. was listening to the heartbeat. Seems pretty darn active, but at 17 weeks right now I don't feel a whole lot, but I'm also a first time mom.

I do get some funny twinges/tickles every now and then, especially at night time, so I'm thinking that is the baby moving?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Think it is anything to concern myself with? At my NT screening at about 12 weeks he seemed more active then this one yesterday.

Or am I just making myself crazy over nothing?

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
I wouldn't worry. My son was pretty chill for his ultrasounds (chill and camera-shy), but he was otherwise a very lively baby in the womb--and more importantly, totally healthy and normal.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Keep in mind that the further along you get the more the baby has sleep/wake patterns and such.

Mine was plenty active at the anatomy scan at 20 weeks but she didn't do any major movements and stubbornly stayed face down the whole time. And she's crazy active at certain times of day but very chill for other periods. I'm sure if my scan had been in the early afternoon instead of the morning she would have been a lot quieter.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

You can also try drinking juice or eating an hour or so before the scan, sometimes that gets them going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

sheri posted:

Think it is anything to concern myself with? At my NT screening at about 12 weeks he seemed more active then this one yesterday.

Or am I just making myself crazy over nothing?

I wouldn't be concerned as long as the heartbeat was good. My baby's movements were always inconsistent in the womb and she'd have a lazy day now and then.