Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Viggen posted:

Goddammit. Why do I always long for what I can't have? :emo:

You could always find a 1974 model. It's almost the exact same minus small details and the air intakes.

Also, I wish I could find a bigger version of this picture. Good on Lamborghini for barely bloating in 39 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Should have went with a KLZE turbo like a local gentleman has

Edit: forgot to quote cursedshitbox's BP swapped Festiva

Sockington fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 11, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

BoostCreep posted:

You could always find a 1974 model. It's almost the exact same minus small details and the air intakes.

I want the prettier one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well then, time to get readin'

http://www.amazon.com/Fabricate-Automotive-Fiberglass-Carbon-Fiber/dp/1934709980/

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

BoostCreep posted:

Also, I wish I could find a bigger version of this picture. Good on Lamborghini for barely bloating in 39 years.

Weren't they obnoxiously large for the times though?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

BoostCreep posted:

It looks like it's out of here: http://www.sportauto.de/fahrberichte/lamborghini-reventon-trifft-countach-turbo-extrem-sportwagen-1586368.html?item=33#article_detail

But that particular picture is conspicuously missing ??

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

BoostCreep posted:

15" longer and only a couple hundred pounds heavier. Not bad, Lambo.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
drat, the Countach is nearly fourth years old??? Still looks futureistic and poo poo hot today

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
When put side-by-side with the Countach like that... it's clear Reventon needs a big fuckoff wing, too. :colbert:

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

:kimchi:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Preoptopus posted:

Hmmm Claaaassssy...

I think it may be physically impossible to look at this picture without hearing that 50s "this is going to happen in the future" song in your head.

Holy poo poo I just spent a half hour looking for that song but I don't know it's name and can't find it. I don't even think I can explain it in text. :(

Thanks "Help me identify a song" megathread

The song is Happy-Go-Lively

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 11, 2013

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I have no idea what particular song you're referring to, but I found this.

e- aquacopters!

e2- narrator totally gets a boner when he starts yelling about jungle road construction. DEFORESTATION, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 11, 2013

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Peggy Olsen?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Viggen posted:

I want the prettier one.

The wacky digital dash

only lasted as long as the first prototype.

The prototype got the NACA ducts and scoops relatively soon, due to hot air intake and overheating problems.

Even though the door was displaced a bit, it still opened afterwards.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cursedshitbox posted:

In a sick way I like the painted DMC-12.

This is a friends Ford Festiva he's currently putting together.
Said Festiva has a miata 1.8 BP engine.
Said Festiva also retains the factory power steering and air conditioning.

It looks totally boring and bland until you lift the hood.

His old BP Festiva looked like rear end but it was quite fun to drive.

Any more details/pics of this?

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Preoptopus posted:

Haha I didnt even see thoes!

Lets Bring back some class

Hey, a Triumph Spitfire in its normal state!

Couldn't resist.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seeking perfection.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The world's first V8 powered "personal massager". :v:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Powershift posted:

Seeking perfection.

The ultimate in interchangeable parts. Unless you break a mirror. Then you're hosed.

e: ^^^Tht's hot. Or it would be with no radiator etc. if it were given a fuel feed and started.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
You want a different kind of AI awesomeness? This:

I'm currently writing an article about the woman in the white shirt. Not only does she build and work on cars from the 50's & 60's, but she's also one of the women responsible for wrenching on the SEMA Mustang Build Powered By Women. Oh and this picture? Well, when she isn't busy working on cars, she's busy working with a few middle and high schools with a program that helps younger teenage girls realize that anyone can work on cars; not just guys. That's pretty friggin' awesome in my book!

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

That is excellent! Makes you wonder what the next generation of car guys (and gals) is gonna be like.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

angryhampster posted:

That is excellent! Makes you wonder what the next generation of car guys (and gals) is gonna be like.

With all the computers and technology being implemented into cars today, they will be nerds.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

GramCracker posted:

With all the computers and technology being implemented into cars today, they will be nerds.
Just wait- soon you won't be tuning cars, you'll be overclocking them.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

IOwnCalculus posted:

That seems like actually getting in/out of the back would be a pain, and what is that thing sticking up out of the tunnel?

It'd be cool if it needed a 2nd tranny to act as a reduction gear system, and the passengers had to coordinate shifting with the driver. I want to play this game.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kimbo305 posted:

It'd be cool if it needed a 2nd tranny to act as a reduction gear system, and the passengers had to coordinate shifting with the driver. I want to play this game.

If I had a diesel with a twin stick setup, I'd totally play it just to mess with my girlfriend.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

grover posted:

Backported my 2013 to run off my nForce2. Sure it runs a little hot but thats what speed case fan holes are for. :smug:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

In a sick way I like the painted DMC-12.

This is a friends Ford Festiva he's currently putting together.
Said Festiva has a miata 1.8 BP engine.
Said Festiva also retains the factory power steering and air conditioning.

It looks totally boring and bland until you lift the hood.

His old BP Festiva looked like rear end but it was quite fun to drive.

This.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

grover posted:

But they're already water-cooled. What more can we do to them but light up the insides with led's?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

grover posted:

I know you're kidding, but the only reason the Prius is even possible is the fact that buck/boost converters have made massive strides in efficiency and power capability over the last 20 years. And one of the only reasons they've improved so much is that the frequencies they run at have skyrocketed, allowing designers to use much smaller inductors and capacitors without losing efficiency due to switching losses. For instance the "picoPSU" is a 120 watt ATX power supply that takes 12 volt DC input and supplies all the power rails needed to run an ATX motherboard and a few drives, at 96% efficiency, in a package barely larger than a regular ATX motherboard power plug. The same power supply in the original IBM PC weighed around 3 pounds and was two or three times the size of a standard ATX power supply, and produced half as much power... at something like 60-80% efficiency.

Hell, the massive improvements in DC/DC converter efficiency are the only reason people are starting to talk about DC power for the grid instead of AC power again. AC is great because you can step it up and down at will using only transformers (with capacitor banks and inductors for power factor correction at times) but DC/DC conversion is very quickly closing the efficiency gap.

The scary part? All of this relies on rare earth metals from China, Africa, and Russia, and supplies are running shorter every day. They are already starting to restrict exports and the electronics market will really suffer when we run out of tantalum, niobium, samarium, etc.

kastein fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 11, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

kastein posted:

DC/DC conversion is very quickly closing the efficiency gap.

It only took a couple hundred years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bowA1xUZpmA

Oh, Nikola, you were just a few centuries before your time..

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Viggen posted:

It only took a couple hundred years.

Oh, Nikola, you were just a few centuries before your time..

He was born in the 1850s, did most of his best work between the mid 1880s and the mid 1910s, and died in 1943, so I'm not sure about "a few centuries", but he was a loving genius. It's too bad so much tinfoil hattery and wacky conspiracy theory crap is tied to his name these days.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

davebo posted:

But they're already water-cooled. What more can we do to them but light up the insides with led's?

The future is here.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Tusen Takk posted:

The future is here.

I thought this was the awesome AI car poo poo thread?

I love the tiny wheels on the 3rd pic.

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 11, 2013

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Lightbulb Out posted:

I thought this was the awesome AI car poo poo thread?

I love the tiny wheels on the 3rd pic.

I think that's more like a massive body kit, but those cars do own

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I think it's just because they haven't put the race tires on it yet. Just funny to see.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

As a masochistic m30 lover, the first generation oil filter housing sickens me. It's good to know that even the factory BMW mechanics couldn't get the thing to hang anything other than vertically on the crane though!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Slavvy posted:

As a masochistic m30 lover, the first generation oil filter housing sickens me. It's good to know that even the factory BMW mechanics couldn't get the thing to hang anything other than vertically on the crane though!

You realize it's hanging from a leveler, right?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Krakkles posted:

You realize it's hanging from a leveler, right?

I'm meaning the engine sits tilted drastically toward the right when it's in the car. In the picture it's clear that it's hanging with the block perfectly vertical, like a nissan I6 or what have you. When you have this situation and you're trying to make the mounts etc line up it is a HUGE oval office to install, makes me think the picture is staged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Tusen Takk posted:

The future is here.

You call that lit up? look at all that black area! That's no alienware car :colbert: