Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
Wow man, I know that feel. Heres hoping you get the Gravy Train next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Sudo Echo posted:

Sockington could still fix this, right?

This is what happens when folklore meets science. People think that by adding sacrificial brass anodes to an area where rust is running rampant they can reduce its erosion.

Sacrificial brass anodes ARE used in corrosion control, but not like this.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

B4Ctom1 posted:

This is what happens when folklore meets science. People think that by adding sacrificial brass anodes to an area where rust is running rampant they can reduce its erosion.

Sacrificial brass anodes ARE used in corrosion control, but not like this.
eh, it's not exactly unheard of in cases like this, when people get desperate to control chassis corrosion.

grover fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 11, 2013

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.
Ungfh. I foresee a scatter shield in my future. Pressure plate let go on this poor guy:

Original thread here: http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457137

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Well, that's definitely a horrible mechanical failure :eek:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

What is that, a diff? That doesn't look goo:stare:jesusfuckingchrist
Can't even imagine the noise that made.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Friar Zucchini posted:

What is that, a diff? That doesn't look goo:stare:jesusfuckingchrist

Diffs don't have pressure plates, transmissions do

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
When I get around to install the new turbo on my DSM, I am buying a scatter shield. This prospect scares the hell out of me.

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

Friar Zucchini posted:

I think it'd probably sound something like a grenade going off, followed by metal fragments pinging everything inside the engine bay at 5200 rpm. Centrifugal force is a bitch.

thvwlshvscpd posted:

When I get around to install the new turbo on my DSM, I am buying a scatter shield. This prospect scares the hell out of me.

I'm talking to the guy via PM on that message board. Apparently he's finding metal fragments up in his dash. He's luck as gently caress that it didn't go through his feet. I really, REALLY want a scatter shield now. Unfortunately no one makes them for C5 Corvettes D:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Dizman posted:

I'm talking to the guy via PM on that message board. Apparently he's finding metal fragments up in his dash. He's luck as gently caress that it didn't go through his feet. I really, REALLY want a scatter shield now. Unfortunately no one makes them for C5 Corvettes D:

Steel plating what now?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

General_Failure posted:

Steel plating what now?

Surely you could fashion something serviceable out of some Kevlar fabric and fiberglass resin or somesuch, no?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Pretty sure you can get kevlar bellhousing blankets for just that purpose.

efb: :argh:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Boat posted:

Surely you could fashion something serviceable out of some Kevlar fabric and fiberglass resin or somesuch, no?

Absolutely. Probably has a weight advantage over thick armour plating too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Dizman posted:

I'm talking to the guy via PM on that message board. Apparently he's finding metal fragments up in his dash. He's luck as gently caress that it didn't go through his feet.

I guess you could say it was shear luck. :v:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Install explosive reactive armor for extra fun factor.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

Adds new meaning to high RPM launches.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

atomicthumbs posted:

We've protected your ankles by vaporizing the offending projectiles and the vehicle they came form.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I'm betting the cause was improperly torqued bolts on the pressure plate. I always use blue loctite and a torque wrench on clutches.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Probably the only reason he still has feet is because it was just the pressure plate and not the flywheel itself!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Same, anything spinning that fast that close to my feet gets very careful installation.

My flywheel is 10.4" and my fuel cut RPM is 5250. At that speed the outer edge of the flywheel and that flimsy little pressed-on starter ring gear are experiencing approximately 4000G :stare:

Every single inch of that ring gear has an outward force of around 370 pounds applied to it at that speed. 6 tons over the entire ring gear.

And it's maybe 6 inches from my right foot... and that's not taking into account the 23lb flywheel it's on. Just the 3 pound ring gear.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I'm glad my 4.0 can't turn fast enough to make the spinny bits by my legs explode.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Dizman posted:

I think it'd probably sound something like a grenade going off, followed by metal fragments pinging everything inside the engine bay at 5200 rpm. Centrifugal force is a bitch.

I'm pretty sure Lakewood makes one for the C5.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
This would be one of the times I would absolutely throw a head across the shop. Not mine.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I don't even...

I'm actually getting angry looking at that.

Who loving tries to drill out a spark plug and :argh: gently caress that's stupid

I'll come throw it for you man.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Farking Bastage posted:

This would be one of the times I would absolutely throw a head across the shop. Not mine.

Hate to ask a dumb question, but what exactly is that where the plug should be... it looks like... a drill bit??? And why???

efb I suppose. What the hell

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Farking Bastage posted:

So what's with the brown stuff? Is it oil from drilling through the top of the piston / the schrapnel? I'm genuinely confused. Mostly about that funny drillbit thing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Looks like an EZOut to me...

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
it's an EZout. I found this one on reddit.

When I have time and I encounter something that's in danger of getting wrung off, I found that about a half ounce of diesel fuel works wonders :)

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 11, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Oh okay. I've never actually seen one so I didn't know.

Oh man. If I'd had thought of it I could have taken a photo of one of my neighbour's yards. Not a mechanical failure as such. Around here people have big TV aerials. Some on rooftops, others on towers like HAM radios have. Someone's tower broke in the last wind. One side of iit. It's now on a roughly 45* angle propped up by the house. It's tall enough that it looks like it could conceivably break free and hit the power lines.

Structural and forethought failure.

The angle is pretty lousy but you can sort of see what I mean from this one. For reference the aerial is behind the house and leaning more or less straight forward over it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

General_Failure posted:

Oh okay. I've never actually seen one so I didn't know.

Oh man. If I'd had thought of it I could have taken a photo of one of my neighbour's yards. Not a mechanical failure as such. Around here people have big TV aerials. Some on rooftops, others on towers like HAM radios have. Someone's tower broke in the last wind. One side of iit. It's now on a roughly 45* angle propped up by the house. It's tall enough that it looks like it could conceivably break free and hit the power lines.

Structural and forethought failure.

The angle is pretty lousy but you can sort of see what I mean from this one. For reference the aerial is behind the house and leaning more or less straight forward over it.

Hahahahahaha oh wow. What in god's name do you need a TV antenna that big for? I'm not being facetious, I genuinely don't understand the purpose.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

General_Failure posted:

So what's with the brown stuff? Is it oil from drilling through the top of the piston / the schrapnel? I'm genuinely confused. Mostly about that funny drillbit thing.

The OP of that picture on reddit posted a pic of the piston.

So it appears they ran the engine with that in there and punched a hole through the piston. I can only assume this would allow the cylinder to fill with oil, which is why it looks like it was filled with oil.

I guess they didn't think it was sticking out that far into the cylinder? dunno. But seems pretty dumbass to me.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Slavvy posted:

Hahahahahaha oh wow. What in god's name do you need a TV antenna that big for? I'm not being facetious, I genuinely don't understand the purpose.

Its a ham radio tower. Looks like VHF near the middle, and a couple of low-HF antennas at the top.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Looks like the impromptu piston-aeration did a good de-carb job, though.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

Its a ham radio tower. Looks like VHF near the middle, and a couple of low-HF antennas at the top.

A lot of houses are like it. Currently the nearest broadcast towers are about 100km away. Previous to that when those towers were erected it was over 150km. It's needed because of obstacles / earth curvature.

e: that one is a little larger than most. Our neighbour has one but it looks a little shorter.
Our aerial is on the roof with guy wires and a really long pole.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Geirskogul posted:

Looks like the impromptu piston-aeration did a good de-carb job, though.

The detergents in motor oil will get rid of carbon build-up.

The cause-effect link is basically like cutting your foot off because you don't like the color of your toenail polish, though.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

General_Failure posted:

A lot of houses are like it. Currently the nearest broadcast towers are about 100km away. Previous to that when those towers were erected it was over 150km. It's needed because of obstacles / earth curvature.

e: that one is a little larger than most. Our neighbour has one but it looks a little shorter.
Our aerial is on the roof with guy wires and a really long pole.

I'm telling you: That's a transmitting tower, and the greybeard who lives there is into ham radio.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

I'm telling you: That's a transmitting tower, and the greybeard who lives there is into ham radio.

It may be, but unless this is the HAMmiest town on earth, they can't all be. Sticking my head out the door just now, even with trees in the way I could see plenty of other ones about the same height sticking up above everything.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

General_Failure posted:

It may be, but unless this is the HAMmiest town on earth, they can't all be. Sticking my head out the door just now, even with trees in the way I could see plenty of other ones about the same height sticking up above everything.

If the antenna has several elements arranged in a line, and the elements are the same length, it's a Yagi-Uda directional antenna, optimized for one band. If it has elements arranged in a line, decreasing in length, it's a log-periodic directional antenna with a higher bandwidth.

If it has LOADS of crap all over it, little tabs and rods and stuff sticking all over what looks like a log-periodic, it's a TV antenna.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

jamal posted:

Well, a bit under the speed limit probably means something like 60 in a 65 on ice. I was in a situation once where two dumbshits stopped in the middle of a snowstorm at night in the middle of nowhere in utah. I barely stayed on the road avoiding them and couldn't have been going much more than 35.

Here's something for the thread:

I'm kind of curious what car has a swaybar endlink going underneath the lower control arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

chrisgt posted:

The OP of that picture on reddit posted a pic of the piston.

So it appears they ran the engine with that in there and punched a hole through the piston. I can only assume this would allow the cylinder to fill with oil, which is why it looks like it was filled with oil.

I guess they didn't think it was sticking out that far into the cylinder? dunno. But seems pretty dumbass to me.

That still raises the question of why you'd run it with a loving EZ out in there.