Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Defiant Sally posted:

I hope Time II is a step up from Time I, since I considered that a bit of a let down overall.

Time I has only just clicked for me, I was disappointed at first at how bomabastic and long the songs were but the other day I suddenly loved it. 'Sons of Winter and Stars' is like a mixture of 'Winter Madness' and 'Battle Against', whilst 'Land of Snow and Sorrow' has the same mournful melody as 'Death and the Healing'. Its a complex album, and like Devin Townsend's Deconstruction just takes time (har) to appreciate.

Still, there were only three actual songs, not really enough after 6 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Land of Snow and Sorrow is boring as gently caress, It's got a couple neat riffs, but it is extremely meandering. I wouldn't care so much (I don't care for one or two of the songs on the self-titled either), but it's nearly a quarter of the album's run-time.

I loving love the rest of the record though, and the songs sound absolutely incredible live.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Earache is re-issuing Symphonies of Sickness on vinyl today at 1 PM EST.
"100 pressing on Ruptured Splatter 200 pressing on Cadaveric flesh 300 pressing on Devourment Red and finally rounded out with the Exhumed Black Vinyl all pressed from the original tapes in full dynamic range audio."

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
I've always wanted a house painted Devourment Red but benjamin moore can never get it right

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Hulk Krogan posted:

Land of Snow and Sorrow is boring as gently caress, It's got a couple neat riffs, but it is extremely meandering. I wouldn't care so much (I don't care for one or two of the songs on the self-titled either), but it's nearly a quarter of the album's run-time.

I loving love the rest of the record though, and the songs sound absolutely incredible live.

I do prefer this version of the song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZB6JVllJSg

Might as well chuck this in with the post, its pretty awesome. Blast beats ahoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2p9PsVD9Ho

henpod fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 7, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

henpod posted:

8 years.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

henpod posted:

Time I has only just clicked for me, I was disappointed at first at how bomabastic and long the songs were but the other day I suddenly loved it. 'Sons of Winter and Stars' is like a mixture of 'Winter Madness' and 'Battle Against', whilst 'Land of Snow and Sorrow' has the same mournful melody as 'Death and the Healing'. Its a complex album, and like Devin Townsend's Deconstruction just takes time (har) to appreciate.

I liked it a lot, but it's annoying that he says "ITS A HARD LISTEN YOU CANT HANDLE THIS poo poo IN ONE SITTING" (literally why he split it in 2 albums) but then half of it is filler poo poo/intros

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

poo poo, thanks. I completely forgot about their new album. I really liked Shrouded Divine, but Monolith not so much so I need to give their new one a few spins.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Houseplant posted:

poo poo, thanks. I completely forgot about their new album. I really liked Shrouded Divine, but Monolith not so much so I need to give their new one a few spins.

It's good. When I first heard it I had it on repeat for days but I haven't really revisited it since.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Millertime posted:

Cya on the cruise! This will be my first time, and I'm going by myself no less. Works good for me, so I'll be able to see whichever shows I choose.

Awesome! I went on Barge as a guest and I had a blast. You'll meet loads of people, everyone is really friendly. COme buy shirts! :)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
here is a video of robots playing motorhead i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RBSkq-_St8

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I like that mecha Lemmy has tank treads for feet.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Misogynist posted:

here is a video of robots playing motorhead i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RBSkq-_St8

That drummer has way too many hands. The human drummers look on in envy.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

ElectricWizard posted:

I've been to Inferno twice (2007 & 2008), and it's a pretty good festival. Remember that it's a club festival, and that the beer prices are mid/high-range by Norwegian standards. This means that at the venue you'll be paying around 70 NOK for 0,5l, which equals $12.5 or £7.8. As a result the Norwegians are usually piss-drunk long before midnight, while most of the foreigners tend to be rather sober.

To save on your pocket-money I'd recommend buying some cheap pisswater beer (Seidel, Borg, Pokal) for about 20 NOK a can, and drink it in your hotel before the shows or whenever you have some spare time between gigs. Also get some tax-free booze at the airport. Otherwise there are a few cheaper pubs in downtown Oslo, like Møllers (which is next door to the venue) and Rock In (a strictly hard rock/metal pub which is always packed for the festival), where you'll be paying maybe 40 NOK for a glass.

As a Norwegian I prefer going abroad for festivals, since I can usually make back most of the travel-cost on the comparably much cheaper accommodation, food, and drink in central Europe. Also I personally think that the Inferno lineup has been a bit rubbish in recent years, as well as being too close to Roadburn. At least the selection of bands at Inferno is nowhere near the awfulness of Wacken, and you won't have to deal with fifty thousand Germans pissing on your tent.

Thanks for the tips.

But yea how the hell is everything so expensive? Do you guys have more money than us or do you just like drinking more if you're the only drunk ones?

ohnoitsphil
Mar 30, 2005

It says Flomax! Thats prostate medicine you guys!!!
Just heard this on a best of 2012 podcast, funeral doom/death Tempestuous Fall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylhbb0cs5Uc

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

Thanks for the tips.

But yea how the hell is everything so expensive? Do you guys have more money than us or do you just like drinking more if you're the only drunk ones?

Our salaries are quite high. Also we have a tendency to drink to get wasted, it's a pretty unhealthy relationship to alcohol. A Saturday night in Oslo is usually not a pretty sight.

Back on topic: I just found out that Agalloch are going to be playing here (Trondheim) in May. I'd never have expected them to come this far north, but I'll be there for sure! They were great at Roadburn, but I'm looking forwards to seeing them in a small venue and not baked out of my skull.

ElectricWizard fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 9, 2013

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
New Rotten Sound track

http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/01/03/exclusive-track-premiere-rotten-sounds-peace/

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

Thanks for the tips.

Norway exports more oil than the US does for a population of only 5 million people. They have a sovereign wealth fund just like the rich Middle Eastern Oil states, theirs is second behind the UAE. Despite their massive resources they generate almost all of their power through renewable energy so they can sell it all instead of using it, which is a huge mistake the GCC countries are trying to rectify.

I would be jealous if it didn't get an hour of sunlight in the winter

Also, I always thought it was funny how metal fans think Norway must be this grim place where people live in log cabins and hunt bears when they are basically the Scandinavian Abu Dhabi

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Norway exports more oil than the US does for a population of only 5 million people. They have a sovereign wealth fund just like the rich Middle Eastern Oil states, theirs is second behind the UAE. Despite their massive resources they generate almost all of their power through renewable energy so they can sell it all instead of using it, which is a huge mistake the GCC countries are trying to rectify.

I would be jealous if it didn't get an hour of sunlight in the winter

Also, I always thought it was funny how metal fans think Norway must be this grim place where people live in log cabins and hunt bears when they are basically the Scandinavian Abu Dhabi

My friend in NOrway, who used to be in a black metal band, does live in a cabin in the woods and hunt (but pheasant). But it's the weather man! I was there in June and it was about 50 degrees and it rained the whole time. I can't even imagine the 24 hours of darkness in the winter. Oh and the sheer sense of solitude I got when I walked like, three minutes from my friends' house.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah, what we've got is a gently caress-off huge blessing of multiple natural resources, plus responsible social democracy.

poo poo is indeed pretty expensive here, and it seems even worse for tourists because tourists will usually depend a lot on eating out, drinking out, etc. The price of eating or drinking out is much inflated over and beyond the cost of the actual stuff you're eating or drinking because it also involves paying for labour (kitchen staff, waitstaff, cleaning staff, etc) and labour is very much not cheap here. Nor is rent unless you're in a truly poo poo location. (The cheapest places to eat are all immigrant-run family-owned joints where the owners can get away with paying the workers poo poo because they're all family and feel obligated to work there.)

The traditional way for Norwegians to do a night on the town involves starting with a pre-game party in someone's home where you drink beer from a grocery store or booze from a liquor store (in either case much cheaper than you can get it in bars or restaurants), then you only go out once you're nice and buzzed, so you only need to pay for maintenance drinks. It is also traditional to sometimes get properly drunk at the pre-game and never make it out the door (even to the point of missing out on concerts you've already bought tickets for, etc.)

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I thought the traditional way for Norwegians to get drunk was to fly to a continental gig/fest and laugh at everyone else grouching about prices while drinking themselves into oblivion at a financial cost they can recoup within an hour's worth of their wage.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

thepitgoddess posted:

I can't even imagine the 24 hours of darkness in the winter. Oh and the sheer sense of solitude I got when I walked like, three minutes from my friends' house.

You didn't really need to go all the way across the Atlantic for that. :canada:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

The Clit Avoider posted:

I thought the traditional way for Norwegians to get drunk was to fly to a continental gig/fest

Well, any time Norwegians leave the country for any reason at all it is traditional to be drunk as hell before even setting foot on foreign soil.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Great Horny Toads! posted:

You didn't really need to go all the way across the Atlantic for that. :canada:

That's true, but Norway seemed like a cooler option! Also, I had a free couch to sleep on. :)

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Time for a band I never see talked about here: Black Breath. Their latest album was produced by the guitarist from Converge, and it's simply stellar. They have a great death&roll style sound and the tone is campy in the same way Slayer and Danzig are campy. The songs are simple and yet gloriously over the top.

Check out my favorite from their previous album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2JAgbjJLFk

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Well, if we're gonna talk heavy doom & roll, let's talk about Satan's Satyrs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE2dHvwA4bo

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 11, 2013

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

rxcowboy posted:

Time for a band I never see talked about here: Black Breath.

Ah, the bastard child of Entombed and Discharge. I liked Sentenced to Life, but Heavy Breathing was significantly better for me. They nail that classic Entombed guitar tone.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Nobody mentions Black Breath because they're a completely pointless band.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

MrBling posted:

What the gently caress does this even mean

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Ah, the bastard child of Entombed and Discharge. I liked Sentenced to Life, but Heavy Breathing was significantly better for me. They nail that classic Entombed guitar tone.

Yup, they definitely turned all the knobs on their HM-2 up. Some bands are total scrubs and only bump up the bass or gain. But not Black Breath, nosiree.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Black Breath absolutely kills it live and I'd encourage everyone to go if you get a chance.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Dude, weird. I was listening to "Forced Into Possession", clicked this thread, BlackBreathchat.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

MrBling posted:

1: Your point was just nullified by people talking about Black Breath with me.

2: What was your point? I do not mean to be rude or sarcastic, I'm genuinely lost. What bands have a "point"?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Welcome to metal b*tch

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Speaking of pointless bands, here is Speedwolf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBn0dmRKs-E

Thrashier Motorhead worship. I probably like this slightly more than I should.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

rxcowboy posted:

What bands have a "point"?
Well you see, orthodox black metal something something...

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Oldstench posted:

Well you see, orthodox black metal something something...

From now on I will be evaluating bands based on their mission statements not their song writing.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

rxcowboy posted:

From now on I will be evaluating bands based on their mission statements not their song writing.
They are the funniest things you'll ever read.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

I'm the same, I way preferred Heavy Breathing over their latest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

rxcowboy posted:

It's the only way to be into black breath because Dismember and Entombed already did this, only better and more convincingly.