Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Why are you guys trying to get Steppe Wolfe in trouble? Has it not given you many hours of joy? Has it not proven that the key to fun games is not more provinces, but rather many more tags?

Shame on you all! :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

run DNC posted:

Friend Wiz, I'm really bad at looking over files to see the affects of events so I would like to ask you, what determines if you get cores when annexing a vassal?

Also maybe bugs: Italy starts without Lombard or anything as accepted culture which might be on purpose, Liege doesn't have a core on Liege but does on Namur, and the A New Elector event calls archbishops monarchs!

clarity edit: im talking about eu3+

Culture group or accepted culture, and will fix bugs.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Wiz posted:

Culture group or accepted culture, and will fix bugs.

I thought it was that also but I diploannexed my vassal Anhalt as Thuringia and didn't get a core, both of us were Saxon culture.

Also I've had the same national ideas since like 1410 and still have not gotten the Traditional ideas modifier back in 1547.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

run DNC posted:

I thought it was that also but I diploannexed my vassal Anhalt as Thuringia and didn't get a core, both of us were Saxon culture.

Also I've had the same national ideas since like 1410 and still have not gotten the Traditional ideas modifier back in 1547.

It's based on culture of their provinces, not their primary culture.

Did you switch multiple ideas? It's 100 years per switch.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Wiz posted:

It's based on culture of their provinces, not their primary culture.

Did you switch multiple ideas? It's 100 years per switch.

I switched one Idea and the traditional ideas modifier was removed before I switched any idea. Anhalt only had one province and it was Saxon, same as my primary.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

run DNC posted:

I switched one Idea and the traditional ideas modifier was removed before I switched any idea. Anhalt only had one province and it was Saxon, same as my primary.

Dunno what to tell you about either of those things, I've never had issues with them.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Here's an end of game image, as Great Britain. Colonial revolts seem kind of screwy, and I saw no revolutionary events or rebels at all. Aragon also got stuck in a permanent war with it's revolters and couldn't ever peace out, in that image all of it's provinces are completely occupied by various countries. I imagine that's a vanilla issue though.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Colonial rebels only pop if you have revolt risk in your provinces. The endless no peace revolutionary wars is a vanilla issue I can't fix (yet!).

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Colonial rebels were fine popping up, it was the Napoleonic revolutionaries in Europe that never came to fruition at all. They were the most likely rebel to revolt, but they never did anywhere. Weird stuff would also happen like the Christianian colonial revolt event happening, only to have the Canadian revolt event happen a few years after replacing the entire culture of what was Christianian with Canadian. You can see in that map Christiania with a few provinces and Canada with the rest as a result. The Vestland colonial revolt event also happened before any of all the other colonial revolters, but it seemingly did nothing at all to Norway's colonies.

If you need any saves from various years, I've got plenty to give out.

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 11, 2013

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING
I'm playing EU3+ as the Inca, and it seems like it will take me until like 1700 to fully modernize (Innovative v Traditional +2, need less than -3, takes 20+ years between swaps)? Is there some workaround that makes it actually possible to modernize in any kind of reasonable time before the Portuguese eat me?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cycloneman posted:

I'm playing EU3+ as the Inca, and it seems like it will take me until like 1700 to fully modernize (Innovative v Traditional +2, need less than -3, takes 20+ years between swaps)? Is there some workaround that makes it actually possible to modernize in any kind of reasonable time before the Portuguese eat me?

You have to find and take advantage of free slider moves. I don't know how EU3+ changes things since I haven't played it yet, but in Vanilla, you could take Patron of the Arts to get periodic free moves towards Innovative, for example.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

ThePutty posted:

Colonial rebels were fine popping up, it was the Napoleonic revolutionaries in Europe that never came to fruition at all. They were the most likely rebel to revolt, but they never did anywhere. Weird stuff would also happen like the Christianian colonial revolt event happening, only to have the Canadian revolt event happen a few years after replacing the entire culture of what was Christianian with Canadian. You can see in that map Christiania with a few provinces and Canada with the rest as a result. The Vestland colonial revolt event also happened before any of all the other colonial revolters, but it seemingly did nothing at all to Norway's colonies.

If you need any saves from various years, I've got plenty to give out.

Revolution isn't always meant to occur. Honestly rebels have a pretty hard time in the later game because their stacks don't really get bigger but country stacks do.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Wiz posted:

Revolution isn't always meant to occur. Honestly rebels have a pretty hard time in the later game because their stacks don't really get bigger but country stacks do.

If you want to make rebels nastier, consider giving them attrition, discipline, and morale bonuses. I like to take the hammer approach to things, so here is what I have:

code:
rebel_military_boost = {
        land_morale = 1
        naval_morale = 1
        discipline = 0.25
        leader_siege = 2
        leader_shock = 2
        leader_fire = 2
        leader_manuever = 2
        leader_maneuver = 2
        leader_naval_manuever = 2
        leader_naval_maneuver = 2
        sea_repair = yes
        land_attrition = -1
        garrison_growth = 0.25
        reinforce_speed = 0.25
}
The two different spellings of maneuver are because both are in the exe, so I wanted to cover my bases. I have a decision that fires, giving those modifiers to the NAT/PIR/REB tags. The siege/shock/fire bonuses gives them a bit better leaders (in theory, I haven't actually noticed it being any more effective), and the morale and discipline helps them stay in fights a bit longer.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You have to find and take advantage of free slider moves. I don't know how EU3+ changes things since I haven't played it yet, but in Vanilla, you could take Patron of the Arts to get periodic free moves towards Innovative, for example.
Yeah I haven't seen much of any free slider moves so...

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Gorgo Primus posted:

Why are you guys trying to get Steppe Wolfe in trouble? Has it not given you many hours of joy? Has it not proven that the key to fun games is not more provinces, but rather many more tags?

Shame on you all! :colbert:

Steppe Wolfe hasn't been the same since Bulgarians stopped being immune to attrition. :colbert:

:bulgaria:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

James Garfield posted:

Steppe Wolfe hasn't been the same since Bulgarians stopped being immune to attrition. :colbert:

:bulgaria:

Doesn't even have bulgaria_32 anymore. Downright shameful if you ask me, you can take your formable Savoy and shove it, how can your historical simulator not simulate the nation of Bulgaria 32 :colbert:.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

In Darkest Hour, is it better to research a project with a higher skilled team or one that has more applicable specialties? Also, is there a formula to determine how much time a project will actually take? I know about how researching before or long after the recommended date works, but is there a way to look at a project's difficulty and my tech team and get a general idea how many months it will take?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You can try reading up on research calculations in this HOI2 wiki article, but of course Darkest Hour has changed up the numbers, and you probably have to do some programming/spreadsheeting if you want to calculate optimal research team selections

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Actually Finished a game of V2 as Korea last night. After escaping the yoke of China I plodded along for 100 years then the game ended. None of the AI fought each other, there were no great wars and it takes absolutely forever to become communist. I started all of my provinces promoting communist from the moment they appeared. Only in 1930 did a tiny revolution start, and I had to let that army take my capital rather than having an actual struggle.

It wasn't bad exactly. Just really bland.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Just finished a vanilla scenario game of EU3+ 1.04 as the Ottomans. Played all the way to the end date (1836):

A few observations:
Ming just completely fell apart relatively early in the game and Qin became the strongest successor state, but it failed to reunite with the other breakaway states and instead pushed into central Asia. There's a tiny Shu, Nan Han, Qi, and even the remnants of Ming that they never really paid much attention to.

Kanem Bornu modernized and annihilated everything else in West/Central Africa. You'd end up seeing situations such as: Spain goes to war with Morocco, Kanem Bornu joins in to aid Morocco, sails to South America and occupies half of Spain's colonies.

Denmark inherited Norway pretty early, then inherited Sweden many decades later and formed Scandinavia. They had a huge amount of success pushing into the HRE and holding onto what they took. They colonized and conquered natives in North America, but managed to hold onto their colonies when colonial separatism started to hit. I think they only lost a few midwest provinces to the really strong New England revolter. Someone forced them to release Samiland in like 1829 or so, but aside from that they had the peninsula pretty much locked down for 300+ years.

Milan spent the majority of the game as the emperor of the HRE, and during that time managed to use the added strength to *almost* form Italy. I have a feeling if the game ran another 100 years or so, they'd finish it up (maybe).

Great Britain was actually doing well for some time. They had the British Isles unified and colonized New England, the western coast of North America, and I think parts of South America. Someone forced them to release Scotland as part of a peace deal at some point, and Scotland proved to be a huge thorn in their side, going to war with them at the drop of a hat. Colonial revolters had free reign to run around occupying all of Britain's colonies during those wars, prompting the huge independent New England, Cascadia, and possibly Mexico.

Poland inherited Lithuania and stayed huge for the entire game. They had their fingers in pretty much everything. Whenever I went to war with anything to my north, I could count on Poland getting called in due to an alliance, a sphere, or a guarantee.

France consolidated all of their minors and remained powerful through the entire game. They had basically every French culture/region province, but never gained cores on or made any moves against Brittany. They colonized well and managed to hold onto the majority of their colonies.

Russia didn't do well at all. The Russia tag formed with several hundred years left in the game, but they kind of just sat there. I don't think they made any noteworthy pushes into Asia, Scandinavia, Belorussia, or anything. Poland probably played a big role in them not advancing west or southwest, but I don't know what was keeping them from going after the tribal nations to their south and east.

Hindustan formed and did extremely well. They ended up with a huge Delhi just to their north, but they slowly chipped away at them through the course of the game.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I've noticed Russia underperforming consistently due to the AI being really reluctant to expand. Really not sure what the deal is.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Wiz posted:

I've noticed Russia underperforming consistently due to the AI being really reluctant to expand. Really not sure what the deal is.

Though I've noticed that they expand much more aggressively in the Azeri scenario. They shoot for the Pacific coast nearly every time, it's just the vanilla scenario where they stumble.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kersch posted:

Though I've noticed that they expand much more aggressively in the Azeri scenario. They shoot for the Pacific coast nearly every time, it's just the vanilla scenario where they stumble.

Muscowy is stronger in Azeri scenario, so I suppose that makes sense. I might give them Smolensk or something, even if it's not really historical.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Just a few misc fixes that have accumulated over the last week.

quote:

1.05:
- Reduced the effectiveness of National Bank, to make it less of a must-have pick.
- Various fixes and tweaks to the history files.
- Fixed various bugs related to colonial revolts.
- The maintenance cost of armies will now increase with higher levels of technology.
- Fixed a bug where a syntax problem in maintenance would incorrectly give Separatism to owner culture provinces.

Download EU3+ 1.05 (mirror)

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

So I found a funny bug in EU3+. Having "End the Schism" as your only possible mission lead to this as I occupied Rome

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Haha, I will fix that. Enjoy the prestige.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
So I guess it's only a matter of time before Wiz starts arguing with Gort about HoI3 and gets probated too...

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Zerf posted:

So I guess it's only a matter of time before Wiz starts arguing with Gort about HoI3 and gets probated too...

I will fight to have Crown of the North recognized as the greatest strategy game of all time. Name me another Paradox game that has a crossbow minigame. :colbert:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Wiz posted:

I will fight to have Crown of the North recognized as the greatest strategy game of all time. Name me another Paradox game that has a crossbow minigame. :colbert:

War of the Roses? That's a paradox game!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Patter Song posted:

So, something about Steppe Wolfe that I can't exactly discuss in my thread, but thought that the Paradox devs might be interested in. The Steppe Wolfe mod attempts to upload a soundtrack from a completely different game and put it into the mod Music folder in an apparent attempt to get it to play during EU3. This doesn't work for some reason: the soundtrack stays the same. I noticed that this Knights of Honor game is also published by Paradox and I was wondering if it's acceptable practice to steal another game's soundtrack and try to use that in a mod. :v: (I'm assuming that the only reason this hasn't been brought to light before is that the music utterly fails to make it into the actual game)

I don't know if it makes it legal or not to use in a mod, but I remember that the Knights of Honor website put up the entire soundtrack as a free download available for all. Which is nice, because the music is pretty neat. Unfortunately, the website has since gone down so I can't redownload it for my reformatted computer nor confirm my story.

Knights of Honor was a pretty cool game, tho.

:doh:
vvv

Tomn fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 11, 2013

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Tomn posted:

I don't know if it makes it legal or not to use in a mod, but I remember that the Knights of Honor website put up the entire soundtrack as a free download available for all. Which is nice, because the music is pretty neat. Unfortunately, the website has since gone down so I can't redownload it for my reformatted computer nor confirm my story.

Knights of Honor was a pretty cool game, tho.

Well according to the post you just quoted, the entire soundtrack is included in Steppe Wolfe, so you can at least redownload it for your reformatted computer!

telcontar
Dec 8, 2006

Antinumeric posted:

Actually Finished a game of V2 as Korea last night. After escaping the yoke of China I plodded along for 100 years then the game ended. None of the AI fought each other, there were no great wars and it takes absolutely forever to become communist. I started all of my provinces promoting communist from the moment they appeared. Only in 1930 did a tiny revolution start, and I had to let that army take my capital rather than having an actual struggle.

It wasn't bad exactly. Just really bland.
Have you tried PDM? It's much more dynamic and a Great War is basically guaranteed to happen at some point.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Gorgo Primus: Switch out the Magna Mundi Meet the Dev Team link in the OP with this one: it is superior because it was after they hired the Danish Samurai.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Wiz, I think Toulouse should start with Occitain as an accepted culture considering 2/3 of their cores are that culture.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

run DNC posted:

Wiz, I think Toulouse should start with Occitain as an accepted culture considering 2/3 of their cores are that culture.

Shouldn't that be their primary culture? As I recall, Toulouse was kinda the cultural center for Occiantians at the time.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

telcontar posted:

Have you tried PDM? It's much more dynamic and a Great War is basically guaranteed to happen at some point.

Doesn't make playing as an unciv fun, though, which was what he was doing.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

ThePutty posted:

Here's an end of game image, as Great Britain. Colonial revolts seem kind of screwy, and I saw no revolutionary events or rebels at all. Aragon also got stuck in a permanent war with it's revolters and couldn't ever peace out, in that image all of it's provinces are completely occupied by various countries. I imagine that's a vanilla issue though.

Why is it every time someones posts one of these, western Europe is always a clusterfuck? France is ALWAYS collapsed, the HRE is still scattered, Poland/Bohemia/Austria is blobbing it up. You would think at least France would form or something.

edit: Talking EU3 in general, not EU3+. France should be a pretty powerful force, but almost always collapses without fail.

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 11, 2013

telcontar
Dec 8, 2006

Friend Commuter posted:

Doesn't make playing as an unciv fun, though, which was what he was doing.
There's only so much they can do without access to the game code. Also he wasn't complaining about uncivs specifically.

Even if it's not particularly fun I would say it's still far more interesting than in vanilla, since there's a bunch of new events and decisions specifically for uncivs.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Average Bear posted:

Why is it every time someones posts one of these, western Europe is always a clusterfuck? France is ALWAYS collapsed, the HRE is still scattered, Poland/Bohemia/Austria is blobbing it up. You would think at least France would form or something.

edit: Talking EU3 in general, not EU3+. France should be a pretty powerful force, but almost always collapses without fail.
Him playing as Great Britain might have something to do with it in this case.

e; particularly since that's the EU3+ alternate history scenario where france starts split up :v:

Kainser fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

Patter Song posted:

Gorgo Primus: Switch out the Magna Mundi Meet the Dev Team link in the OP with this one: it is superior because it was after they hired the Danish Samurai.

Thank you! We were looking for that for hours! Well... one hour, but you get the idea.

• Locked thread