Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

The big problem is that the main area of Wall Maria (the bit surrounded by the small 'blister' cities) is mainly used for food production. So you'd theoretically be safe from Titans if you stayed put, but... well, hope you like starvation.
That's why I figured only a few people could have stayed, not the whole population of the city.

Even in the cities there seem to be open areas that a small group of people might be able to cultivate. And if canned food is a thing that's not just in ancient ruins, a small group of people might be able to live off that for quite a while.

They've got rivers too- presumably fish.

It's just as likely that they all left and we'll never hear anything about them, but I think it's an interesting thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I think it would be really cool for the Scouting Legion come across an independent group of survivors like that, but wasn't there something about titans being able to detect the presence of humans?

If that's the case, couldn't Sasquatch wipe any group like this out?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
There's definitely a river that runs from the capital through Eren's town. You could probably do a lot better by boat than horses.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

There's definitely a river that runs from the capital through Eren's town. You could probably do a lot better by boat than horses.

Titan bodies are very light. It seems very likely that they can float.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Jackard posted:

I think it would be really cool for the Scouting Legion come across an independent group of survivors like that, but wasn't there something about titans being able to detect the presence of humans?

If that's the case, couldn't Sasquatch wipe any group like this out?

Probably, but the increasingly apparent non-random nature of titan attacks might leave such cities unimportant in the eyes of the various (?) factions pulling the strings. If they're living in seclusion they aren't at risk of discovering or overstepping much.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
If the titans wanted to kill everyone they would have by now. They've shown it's pretty easy for them to kick in the gates or climb the walls. They can even generate more titans in secure areas. They must be pushing for something besides the complete destruction of the human race.

There was a bit a while back about how the world was almost destroyed by war. It's possible the titans were being used as weapons, basically biological mechs. They used Titan tech to build the walls. At some point the standards for making titans started slipping or maybe it was a new form of attack. Either way the result was feral titans showing up and attacking everything.

The government hid their involvement and decided to ride it out in the cities. But somewhere there's another city state that's still sending over piloted titans. The hairy Titan especially seems to fit this. He wasn't 100% sure they spoke the same language so it makes sense he's from another country. And he was oddly interested in the 3D maneuver gear.

Dr_Amazing fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 22, 2012

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
My crazy theory is that after the world was almost destroyed by war, the surviving countries agreed to do the massive wall thing. To ensure that they'd never war with each other again they then sent out the titan bioweapons as an ultimate no man's land.

The Church safeguards knowledge and technology to ensure that the walled countries never again go to war. This is why The Church is feels not revealing the truth of the Titans is more important that the survival of humanity. They know that there are other humans not only in other walled countries but among the Titans as well.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Does every titan have a human inside of it?

If so, that's like a massive loving titan-genocide that happened.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It seems implied that the more intelligent Titans are actually human-Titans (the Colossal one, the Armoured one and Annie) while the stupid ones are weird conglomerations of regenerating flesh. They don't even digest what they eat.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I think the "stupid" ones are humans that changed but lost control of themselves. Maybe they're all dreaming they're in a nice warm home safe and sound. :smith:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Eej posted:

It seems implied that the more intelligent Titans are actually human-Titans (the Colossal one, the Armoured one and Annie) while the stupid ones are weird conglomerations of regenerating flesh. They don't even digest what they eat.

Keep in mind that Titans are solar-powered, and the human body within them is not itself active (and may even slip into the coma that almost rendered Eren mindless as part of conserving energy). So the human inside can probably live off the solar energy the Titan body harvests.

That could even be how the whole disaster happened, or part of how the technology was developed. Everyone gets huge awesome bodies and no one even needs food! Except that not everyone is able to resist falling into a blissful coma as they enter the energy-conservation state of semi-consciousness.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Eej posted:

Well, the couple panels of flashback we've gotten on Reiner/Bertholt's backstory, it looks like Ymir was a typical mindless man-eating titan. And she's a human now.

Plus I think we can kind of assume that the Sasquatch titan didn't breach the walls, but just crossed over itself and transformed a bunch of people on the other side. And all these titans are pretty mindless.

For a while I assumed what you did about the different types of titans, because the only ones we know have humans in them are the controlled ones, naturally the non-controlled ones are non-human, right? Well, that doesn't necessarily follow.

My guess is that they've all got people in them, but most of them were made in a way that gave them no control at all over their titan bodies. Even Eren had trouble with control at first.

Though it's far from a sure thing. For one thing, when titans are killed they just evaporate, and don't leave a human corpse behind. Some of them also seem a bit small to fit a whole person in their neck.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Eiba posted:

Well, the couple panels of flashback we've gotten on Reiner/Bertholt's backstory, it looks like Ymir was a typical mindless man-eating titan. And she's a human now.

Plus I think we can kind of assume that the Sasquatch titan didn't breach the walls, but just crossed over itself and transformed a bunch of people on the other side. And all these titans are pretty mindless.

For a while I assumed what you did about the different types of titans, because the only ones we know have humans in them are the controlled ones, naturally the non-controlled ones are non-human, right? Well, that doesn't necessarily follow.

My guess is that they've all got people in them, but most of them were made in a way that gave them no control at all over their titan bodies. Even Eren had trouble with control at first.

Though it's far from a sure thing. For one thing, when titans are killed they just evaporate, and don't leave a human corpse behind. Some of them also seem a bit small to fit a whole person in their neck.

They don't have to fit a whole person in their neck. Who is to say that only adults can turn into titans? Some of them might be children or even infants.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Wandering Knitter posted:

I think the "stupid" ones are humans that changed but lost control of themselves. Maybe they're all dreaming they're in a nice warm home safe and sound. :smith:

Oh poo poo. That reminds me of the zombie horror manga "I am a hero." It's revealed that (minor spoilers) All of the zombies are people put in these bizarre states of hallucination/dreams where their actions in the dreams cause them to act zombie-like.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Thoren posted:

Does every titan have a human inside of it?

If so, that's like a massive loving titan-genocide that happened.
I think this is still a thing that's sort of uncertain. We know the nape of the neck is important, especially with Titan-Humans, like Eren and Annie, and probably Ymir, but we're not sure if it's true of all the titans. I think Sasquatch titan remarked on how the nape of the neck was important, but didn't really go into detail about why it's important.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
There have certainly been titans too small to have a human in the nape of the neck.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The neck might just act as a sort of biological command center. With no pilot it still runs on it's own but the whole thing falls apart if its destroyed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What if Titans start out as big ones like Eren/Annie, but once they lose control they become dumb, and the human inside gradually is eroded away, as the human gets smaller, so does the Titan, with scale/limbs based on how eroded those parts of the human inside are. Certainly would explain the hosed-uppedness of the anatomy of the Titans!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Thoren posted:

Oh poo poo. That reminds me of the zombie horror manga "I am a hero." It's revealed that (minor spoilers) All of the zombies are people put in these bizarre states of hallucination/dreams where their actions in the dreams cause them to act zombie-like.
When does it reveal this? I read up to him meeting the girl in the forest before tiring of it,, all I remember is that they mindlessly parrot behaviors from their former lives

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Jackard posted:

When does it reveal this? I read up to him meeting the girl in the forest before tiring of it,, all I remember is that they mindlessly parrot behaviors from their former lives

The reveal is a fair bit after that, when there are a set of sequences from the point-of-view of a zombified character.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Jackard posted:

Pretty much what Ghost of Babyhead said. Those 'zombies' are probably some of the most interesting zombies ever thought up.

Anyways, back to Titan Talk :)

(I don't want to ruin any more of that manga for you! It gets really good though!)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Thoren posted:

Pretty much what Ghost of Babyhead said. Those 'zombies' are probably some of the most interesting zombies ever thought up.
Didn't read the rest of the comic but the ones from this chapter of Franken Fran seemed decent: http://www.mangapark.com/manga/franken-fran/c47/

the infected are still alive, but are being murdered by the frightened/bloodthirsty survivors

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

What if Titans start out as big ones like Eren/Annie, but once they lose control they become dumb, and the human inside gradually is eroded away, as the human gets smaller, so does the Titan, with scale/limbs based on how eroded those parts of the human inside are. Certainly would explain the hosed-uppedness of the anatomy of the Titans!

I'm like 90% certain that most small/stupid titans were humans at one point, rather than being huge then shrinking down. Remember the one with gimp limbs in the crushed house? That was pretty obviously Connie's mother - after all it even loving recognized him, if I remember correctly. That right there basically confirmed that even dumb ones can be made fairly freshly from adult humans.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Thoren posted:

A really cool plot path to follow would be giving the humans some sort of ability to detect who a titan is in the future.

poo poo would really hit the fan then.

Titan blood reacts when exposed to flame. :getin:

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
Where can I get one!

Also, this is the cast of the anime apparently. Look at those jackets!

Oh Snapalope fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 2, 2013

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Oh Snapalope posted:

Where can I get one!

I'm getting one of these and pretending it's Alita.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Soulcleaver posted:

I'm getting one of these and pretending it's Alita.
Just take a SharpieŽ to the cheeks, and there you go

Hallgerd
Dec 10, 2011
Is there an example in this manga of a Titan other than the sasquatch guy having facial/chest hair? I think I remember one with a beard but I can't find it. Just asking because I was looking over this a little today and noticed the drawing of a Titan way back in chapter 2 definitely has facial hair, looks like it has body hair and kinda like it has pointed ears too.

VVV: That's the one I was half-remembering, thanks.

Hallgerd fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 4, 2013

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Off the top of my head, the Titan who ate Eren had an old man beard.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Oh yeah http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/41

Historia, holy poo poo thats a meaninful name, on a world that seems to have lost its history

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Oh for fucks sake why didn't they just leave why did they make ymir keep fighting :argh:

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!
It kind of annoys me that Ymir is a woman when it's a male name :(

Newfork
Feb 13, 2012

There are innumerable ways in which I can stop you.

Vincent Valentine posted:

Oh for fucks sake why didn't they just leave why did they make ymir keep fighting :argh:

My thoughts exactly, when they grabbed her hair I thought they were gonna piggyback the hell out of there on her head, which would've been pretty awesome. Why would you have her go back and fight all the drat things again :negative:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Newfork posted:

My thoughts exactly, when they grabbed her hair I thought they were gonna piggyback the hell out of there on her head, which would've been pretty awesome. Why would you have her go back and fight all the drat things again :negative:

yeah, I was also expecting that.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Holy poo poo

An actual kinda happy ending :aaa:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Wait wait, loss of limbs trickles down so that the 'pilot' loses those limbs as well? That's new...

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Rime posted:

Wait wait, loss of limbs trickles down so that the 'pilot' loses those limbs as well? That's new...

It doest not makes much sense, and that never happened to Eren. Perhaps she was bitten after she fell and was getting eaten by the other titans? Or perhaps it means she is really a different kind of human-titan than Eren.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The scruffy art worked really well in this chapter. Too well, really.

Also historia means history, but it also means story. Not necessarily objective facts.

Edit: vvv Whoops, I was thinking of French, yeah.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 11, 2013

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

House Louse posted:

The scruffy art worked really well in this chapter. Too well, really.

Also historia means history, but it also means story. Not necessarily objective facts.

In portuguese at least, that is correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

It doest not makes much sense, and that never happened to Eren. Perhaps she was bitten after she fell and was getting eaten by the other titans? Or perhaps it means she is really a different kind of human-titan than Eren.
It certainly ties in with "Ymir's people" and all of that hinting in earlier chapters.

Also, an okay ending. :unsmith: And the implications of Historia's name are pretty obvious, it's just a shame it's monthly!