Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

That still raises the question of why you'd run it with a loving EZ out in there.

Because they didn't want to pay for a tow bill to the shop? I dunno. Not everyone is good at common sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

chrisgt posted:

The OP of that picture on reddit posted a pic of the piston.

So it appears they ran the engine with that in there and punched a hole through the piston. I can only assume this would allow the cylinder to fill with oil, which is why it looks like it was filled with oil.

I guess they didn't think it was sticking out that far into the cylinder? dunno. But seems pretty dumbass to me.

:psyduck: Why. What a waste of a good EZ Out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, why would you ever leave an entire ez-out in there? I thought they were supposed to break off, leaving you with the other half for your own purposes.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

General_Failure posted:

Not a mechanical failure as such.
It probably was a mechanical failure, since a tower like that should have been able to withstand 75+ MPH winds. My guess is that they bought it used and one of the legs was rusted out on the inside (it could have come like that new, too) or else that one of the mounting bolts failed. Without seeing the base it's pretty difficult to tell.

Slavvy posted:

Hahahahahaha oh wow. What in god's name do you need a TV antenna that big for? I'm not being facetious, I genuinely don't understand the purpose.
Amateur radio towers/antennas can get... bigger. A lot bigger.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Yeah, why would you ever leave an entire ez-out in there? I thought they were supposed to break off, leaving you with the other half for your own purposes.

Mine never break :smugbert:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Well, long story short, the lower the frequency of the radio signals you're receiving/transmitting, the larger the antenna you need to be resonant at the right frequency (which is the best way to improve transmit/receive distance.) So basically if you want to really make your signals go a long way in the low MHz range you are going to be building some really loving big antennas.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

nmfree posted:

It probably was a mechanical failure, since a tower like that should have been able to withstand 75+ MPH winds. My guess is that they bought it used and one of the legs was rusted out on the inside (it could have come like that new, too) or else that one of the mounting bolts failed. Without seeing the base it's pretty difficult to tell.

Amateur radio towers/antennas can get... bigger. A lot bigger.

It's possible, although it probably was the ravages of age. General rule of thumb is almost everything here is old. When I was driving past it looked as though it had failed at the base and tipped. No distortion or unevenness at the base. Are these things bolted to a slab or something?
There's also one a few houses away that's associated with some kind of storage shed. It just seems to have a single spike coming out the top.

I'll try to take a photo tomorrow or something. The owner was there when I went past. They had their car parked near it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Anticipating some kind of failure and it's mechanical. A timing belt kit for a Subaru EA81. Really? really?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GATES-TI...#ht_1992wt_1170

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

I'm pretty sure lifting a car by the wheels' spokes isn't a recommended procedure :stare:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

CommieGIR posted:

Mine never break :smugbert:

You're either the luckiest person alive or you're lying.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
This is why you should replace that wobbly tire you hit a curb with instead of driving on it for a few months:

EDIT: tables...

DON'T POST STRAIGHT OUT OF THE CAMERA

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

General_Failure posted:

Anticipating some kind of failure and it's mechanical. A timing belt kit for a Subaru EA81. Really? really?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GATES-TI...#ht_1992wt_1170

HAHAHA wow... I'd like to pop the hood of my car and watch that guy try to find the timing belt on the ea81. Better yet when I tell him it doesn't even have a timing chain.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

General_Failure posted:

It's possible, although it probably was the ravages of age. General rule of thumb is almost everything here is old. When I was driving past it looked as though it had failed at the base and tipped. No distortion or unevenness at the base. Are these things bolted to a slab or something?
Generally that kind of tower is either bolted down to some kind of flange that's embedded in a concrete base or (more common in the US) an extra section of tower will be buried in/through the concrete base and the rest stacked on top.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

General_Failure posted:

There are tilt-over towers that are designed to, well, tilt over. You work on your antennas while it's horizontal and then hoist it back up when you're done; that way, you don't have to climb it.

General_Failure posted:

There's also one a few houses away that's associated with some kind of storage shed. It just seems to have a single spike coming out the top.

That's definitely an amateur radio or CB antenna.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Well, long story short, the lower the frequency of the radio signals you're receiving/transmitting, the larger the antenna you need to be resonant at the right frequency (which is the best way to improve transmit/receive distance.) So basically if you want to really make your signals go a long way in the low MHz range you are going to be building some really loving big antennas.

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLF_Transmitter_Cutler

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Well, that's a pretty big antenna... if you're a pussy.

quote:

The Clam Lake facility, which served as the test site and was originally called the Wisconsin Test Facility (WTF) consisted of two 14 mile (24 km) transmission line antennas (called ground dipoles) in the shape of a cross, with the transmitter station at their intersection. The Republic facility consisted of three transmission lines, two 14 mile and one 28 mile, in the shape of the letter "F" (the shape is not significant and was dictated by land availability).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

nmfree posted:

Well, that's a pretty big antenna... if you're a pussy.
Wasn't this what they were nudging at in that X-Files episode where people's heads would explode if they didn't keep moving West?

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Root Bear posted:

This is why you should replace that wobbly tire you hit a curb with instead of driving on it for a few months:

If youre uploading to imgur and too lazy to resize/crop your crappy cell phone pics, you can stick before the file extension like so:

http://i.imgur.com/qbpDZl.jpg

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 13, 2013

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Gaga posted:

If youre uploading to imgur and too lazy to resize/crop your crappy cell phone pics, you can stick before the file extension like so:

Try this, it prevents people from ruining your poo poo: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/138675

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Root Bear posted:

Been there done that. On all four tires, until one just stopped holding air and was flat every morning. Replaced it with the cheapest tire I could find, then spun off the interstate and into some woods. The car stopped sideways after doing a 270 at 50mph, having slid to a stop sideways with the driver's door about 18" from a tree trunk...an exposed root punctured the sidewall of the one good tire. :gonk:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 13, 2013

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Remember kids, when somebody tells you a bolt is left-hand threaded, check the manual before assuming they're right:

This had me hanging off the end of a 3-foot snap-on breaker bar thinking "hmm this bolt sure is torqued down" :downs:. It's not that clear but it's cracked almost all the way through in the root of the most stretched thread, made an almighty crack sound as it let go.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

jammyozzy posted:

Remember kids, when somebody tells you a bolt is left-hand threaded, check the manual before assuming they're right:

This had me hanging off the end of a 3-foot snap-on breaker bar thinking "hmm this bolt sure is torqued down" :downs:. It's not that clear but it's cracked almost all the way through in the root of the most stretched thread, made an almighty crack sound as it let go.

Honda crank pulley bolt?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Close, it's a sprocket bolt from an old CBR600 engine. Never let students loose unsupervised. :madmax:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't understand the almost mythical fascination with reverse thread; do people think they're cool by saying X bolt is reverse? I can't remember the last time I've seen a reverse thread anything on any vehicle, tierods excepting. I know they exist but come on, honda are not citroen or jaguar, they won't arbitrarily throw reverse thread in just to gently caress with you.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Slavvy posted:

I don't understand the almost mythical fascination with reverse thread; do people think they're cool by saying X bolt is reverse? I can't remember the last time I've seen a reverse thread anything on any vehicle, tierods excepting. I know they exist but come on, honda are not citroen or jaguar, they won't arbitrarily throw reverse thread in just to gently caress with you.

DSM tensioner bolt on the power steering pump. Totally mind hosed me and I rounded it off.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Slavvy posted:

At least some Honda engines spin CCW, meaning that the rotation of the engine could have the tendency to back out a standard-thread crank bolt. I don't think reverse thread is used unless there's a good reason for it.

e: meant to say clockwise :doh:

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 13, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Slavvy posted:

all the ring gear bolts on a chrysler 8.25 rearend, used in dodge dakotas, durangos (I think), jeep cherokees, liberties, commanders, and a bunch of other stuff as well.

I didn't round them off, but I sure did overtorque one a bit before realizing my mistake. They come out better when you turn them the correct direction.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Black88GTA posted:

At least some Honda engines spin CCW, meaning that the rotation of the engine could have the tendency to back out a standard-thread crank bolt. I don't think reverse thread is used unless there's a good reason for it.

e: meant to say clockwise :doh:

Yes, but even the CW engines (which from what I know is 99% of honda car engines) have conventional pulley bolts. They're just tightened to an insane degree and require a special crank pulley holder tool to undo.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Yes, but even the CW engines (which from what I know is 99% of honda car engines) have conventional pulley bolts. They're just tightened to an insane degree and require a special crank pulley holder tool to undo.

When I did my timing belt / water pump a couple years back, I cracked mine off by removing a plug and filling a cylinder with rope to lock the engine. I can't remember if it was a standard or reverse thread bolt though.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
1) Attach breaker-bar and socket to crank pulley bolt
2) Brace breaker-bar against ground, frame, or large boulder
3) Crank engine
4) Profit

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Black88GTA posted:

When I did my timing belt / water pump a couple years back, I cracked mine off by removing a plug and filling a cylinder with rope to lock the engine. I can't remember if it was a standard or reverse thread bolt though.

:aaa: This just blew my mind, what an idea.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Black88GTA posted:

Also a good way to change valve guide seals without pulling the head.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Motronic posted:

Also a good way to change valve guide seals without pulling the head.

Yep. I have a spark plug air adapter for that too although I feel a lot safer with a bit of rope because there is a mechanical reason for the valves not vanishing into the barrel.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I know some old Mopar stuff used to use reverse-thread lug nuts on the passenger's side. I can only imagine all the fuckups from minimum-wage dumbass lube techs (:v:) not knowing and accidentally snapping studs off due to that.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Lugnuts on most Army trucks. Thank CHRIST most of them were labeled with "R" if they were reverse. That and split rims with run flats. Changing a Tire was a half a day affair it seemed. :suicide:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

They were labeled with R if they were reverse until depot put 4-5 coats of CARC on top of them. After that they're labeled uh... wait... they're labeled?

And yeah, I got bit by that :downs: fortunately the torque spec was 450+ foot pounds, so even me leaning on them with a 3 foot cheater pipe didn't really overtighten them much before I realized I had to be doing something wrong.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I haven't run into that issue so far at my unit, but we only really deal with the LMTV/MTV and PLS vehicles. I can imagine how horrible it would be, especially when you've got eight privates running around (me being one of them) and parts getting swapped between bays.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

GAA is your friend when doing run flats. That, ratchet straps, and tanker bars. Don't let your E-5 gently caress you over and make you do it the hard way "cause we had to learn."

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Is something trying to escape?:

First you always pull the plugs:

Uh oh, looks like something happened in this cylinder:

Hey, where's the piston?:

That piston really is completely gone:

Oh, there's the piston:

All pictures from a Ford Futura who's last race at LeMons didn't go so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Deceptor101 posted:

First you always pull the plugs:

Is that a lawnmower plug? It doesn't exactly look like it belongs there.