Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Off the top of my head:

Know what type of connectors attach to where on a motherboard and what they look like. (Colors/shapes/specifics of slots) You should be able to identify any connector by its description, appearance, or Standard number. You should also be able to identify specific components on a motherboard

Know how to do basic remediation given a descriptor of malware/ malware aftereffects.

Know basic port numbers like SMTP, FTP, Telnet, RDP

Know your speed tables for RAM PC-XXXX, PC2-XXXX etc.

Know basic diagnostic command line tools and various switches.

Know your paths for common tasks such as enabling sharing of services/peripherals

Know your printers and dealing with stuff going wrong with them. (If x, then what's wrong/ how do you fix it)

Know common wireless standards (NOT JUST 802.11)

Take practice tests, be warned that practice tests may not have simulations. Be prepared to do matching/dragging and dropping.

Read.

Much more than that is getting pedantic and should be covered by taking a practice test to evaluate your weak spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Off the top of my head:

Know what type of connectors attach to where on a motherboard and what they look like. (Colors/shapes/specifics of slots) You should be able to identify any connector by its description, appearance, or Standard number. You should also be able to identify specific components on a motherboard

Know how to do basic remediation given a descriptor of malware/ malware aftereffects.

Know basic port numbers like SMTP, FTP, Telnet, RDP

Know your speed tables for RAM PC-XXXX, PC2-XXXX etc.

Know basic diagnostic command line tools and various switches.

Know your paths for common tasks such as enabling sharing of services/peripherals

Know your printers and dealing with stuff going wrong with them. (If x, then what's wrong/ how do you fix it)

Know common wireless standards (NOT JUST 802.11)

Take practice tests, be warned that practice tests may not have simulations. Be prepared to do matching/dragging and dropping.

Read.

Much more than that is getting pedantic and should be covered by taking a practice test to evaluate your weak spots.

I'm assuming the simulations were ran through something similar to labsim?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The A+ guides linked in the OP tell you pretty much what you need. There isn't much about port numbers on the A+ beyond common stuff like FTP, IIRC.

Though the Network+ has a bunch more. Mostly about cable types.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Passed the Sec+ this morning. I hate the way CompTIA words questions on their tests. It's like they were written by a non-native English speaker.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
How much rote memorization is required for ROUTE? I'm hearing that it's basically nothing but configuration simulators. Will I need to remember obscure details about random crap like for the CCNA, or is the lab book pretty much what's actually going to make or break me?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

GOOCHY posted:

Passed the Sec+ this morning. I hate the way CompTIA words questions on their tests. It's like they were written by a non-native English speaker.

I was debating about just taking it, haven't studied at all but I did take a security+ class at my CC a while back.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Corvettefisher posted:

I was debating about just taking it, haven't studied at all but I did take a security+ class at my CC a while back.

If I were you I would probably just schedule it and go over the material over the next week. I think anyone with a solid IT background can study for a week and pass it. I just did it that way. IMO, there's too much minutiae that they will ask you about to go into it cold. For me, it's stuff I've known in the past but I don't retain little factoids if I don't use the information frequently. One run through of the study guide over a weeks time was sufficient.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Neato, yeah looking to extract my self from this mess and most(if not all) the jobs want a S+.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

psydude posted:

How much rote memorization is required for ROUTE? I'm hearing that it's basically nothing but configuration simulators. Will I need to remember obscure details about random crap like for the CCNA, or is the lab book pretty much what's actually going to make or break me?

I took mine back in early 2011. I can tell you if you know the material in the LAB book, it's overkill for the sim questions. Nonetheless, the lab material is good to know for real world situations. If you are following the cert guide book, you need to know at least the keypoints. If you can effectively summarize each chapter, it'll go a long way in helping you. There's also knowing what cisco commands does what in order to apply in this situation type questions. You definitely need to know your EIGRP/OSPF and redistribution between routing protocols. Everything else is a blurr.

I'll have to brush up on LAN routing protocols for TSHOOT in a couple of months however. Should be fun to go back through ROUTE.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Thanks. That's good to hear; I didn't think the lab material was particularly difficult and I barely touch any layer 3 stuff aside from static routes and the occasional ACL/NAT.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

GOOCHY posted:

Just took it this morning myself. I originally took this test back in 2007, and I have to say it's gotten a lot harder. Some of the questions were poorly worded, and others just had me scratching my head as the answers really had nothing to do with the question.

That said, this test has come a long ways. You actually have to know more than just technical for this exam, you need to know the other domains as well.

For the record, I took it cold. I do not suggest that, as there were a few things on the exam I simply did not know. Most of it is fine if you have any actual experience.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

XakEp posted:

Just took it this morning myself. I originally took this test back in 2007, and I have to say it's gotten a lot harder. Some of the questions were poorly worded, and others just had me scratching my head as the answers really had nothing to do with the question.

That said, this test has come a long ways. You actually have to know more than just technical for this exam, you need to know the other domains as well.

For the record, I took it cold. I do not suggest that, as there were a few things on the exam I simply did not know. Most of it is fine if you have any actual experience.

I found that too. There were several questions in which there were two "right" answers but you're instructed to choose the one that is BEST. Problem being, it's tough to determine which one is best when the question is just worded very poorly.

I don't see the value in trying to play word games with a technical certification test. Ask the question, get the answer - people either know it or they don't know it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I've been getting between 90% to 95% on my A+ practice tests, but people recommend I get 100% twice before taking the real test. The real annoying thing is memorizing all the different types of motherboards, CPU sockets, and RAM. I mean gently caress, you either need to be a computer or autistic to memorize all of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_socket

And these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIMM

poo poo like Wireless standards and port numbers are easy because I use them everyday at work, but hell, if I ask any of my coworkers what kind of processor goes into a LGA 775 / Socket T, or "what's the voltage on an ATX motherboard" everyone's like "gently caress if I know, I'd just check online." I've never actually had to change out a processor, because generally in that event it tends to be more cost-effective for us to just replace the motherboard or the whole computer.

I'm sorry, I'm just venting a little frustration.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

psydude posted:

Thanks. That's good to hear; I didn't think the lab material was particularly difficult and I barely touch any layer 3 stuff aside from static routes and the occasional ACL/NAT.

Just make sure you know most of what is on the relevent ones of these: http://packetlife.net/library/cheat-sheets/

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I've been getting between 90% to 95% on my A+ practice tests, but people recommend I get 100% twice before taking the real test. The real annoying thing is memorizing all the different types of motherboards, CPU sockets, and RAM. I mean gently caress, you either need to be a computer or autistic to memorize all of these:

And these:

poo poo like Wireless standards and port numbers are easy because I use them everyday at work, but hell, if I ask any of my coworkers what kind of processor goes into a LGA 775 / Socket T, or "what's the voltage on an ATX motherboard" everyone's like "gently caress if I know, I'd just check online." I've never actually had to change out a processor, because generally in that event it tends to be more cost-effective for us to just replace the motherboard or the whole computer.

Welcome to pains of every cert you will ever take. Most multiple choice questions you will take will ask you trivia questions of things you probably will never need to memorize in production.

Change in culture in the cert world has been slow as balls and no end is in sight. Sims has always been a better option for all the major vendors yet only Cisco has partially picked up that banner. It gives me a headache too often when I realize that learning the technology for use and preparing for the test are way too different most of the time.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Jelmylicious posted:

Just make sure you know most of what is on the relevent ones of these: http://packetlife.net/library/cheat-sheets/

Thanks for this. Adding it to the OP.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Gammatron 64 posted:

And these:

The questions about socket types are no longer on that test, nor were any questions on voltages other then what the voltages were for each color of a 12 pin power connectors. Be aware of ATX, BTX, and NLX the other subtypes are not included. Best advice is read and read some more and eventually some will sink in. Really the worst part about the A+ were the stupid printer questions why the hell would a PC tech need to know the intricate details of how a printer works. If there is a real problem with a printer you call a printer maintenance tech anyway.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?

CheeseSpawn posted:

I took mine back in early 2011. I can tell you if you know the material in the LAB book, it's overkill for the sim questions. Nonetheless, the lab material is good to know for real world situations. If you are following the cert guide book, you need to know at least the keypoints. If you can effectively summarize each chapter, it'll go a long way in helping you. There's also knowing what cisco commands does what in order to apply in this situation type questions. You definitely need to know your EIGRP/OSPF and redistribution between routing protocols. Everything else is a blurr.

I'll have to brush up on LAN routing protocols for TSHOOT in a couple of months however. Should be fun to go back through ROUTE.

So there's less trivial bullshit on the ROUTE? I won't get asked to do things (as an extreme example) like gently caress with/calculate the reliability K-values?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

DropsySufferer posted:

The questions about socket types are no longer on that test, nor were any questions on voltages other then what the voltages were for each color of a 12 pin power connectors. Be aware of ATX, BTX, and NLX the other subtypes are not included. Best advice is read and read some more and eventually some will sink in. Really the worst part about the A+ were the stupid printer questions why the hell would a PC tech need to know the intricate details of how a printer works. If there is a real problem with a printer you call a printer maintenance tech anyway.

Thank God. Getting the different motherboard form factors shouldn't be that bad.

The printer troubleshooting bit IS loving dumb. Like you said, whenever a printer or copier has trouble, I call the tech. Of course, I start learning a bit here and there as our local Sharp guy is the kinda person who really likes talking about printers and won't shut up and get the hint that I have other things to do as I slowly inch away.

From what I can tell... scratches on the drum will leave vertical lines, don't put the wrong paper in, you need a special vacuum to suck up toner, bad rollers will cause jams... and such and such.

Am I going to have to tell what order to put the different colored wires in a RJ-45 Ethernet connector? Because I haven't done that since college, and I've only done it once.

Canadian Maniac
Jun 25, 2000

I definitely had a question about T568A/B on my A+ when I took it last summer. I also had two questions about it on my Network+, but it was far more expected that time.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

madmaan posted:

Welcome to pains of every cert you will ever take. Most multiple choice questions you will take will ask you trivia questions of things you probably will never need to memorize in production.

Change in culture in the cert world has been slow as balls and no end is in sight. Sims has always been a better option for all the major vendors yet only Cisco has partially picked up that banner. It gives me a headache too often when I realize that learning the technology for use and preparing for the test are way too different most of the time.

This is so annoying. On my exam today, I got a question that was -

How would you implement "x"? All the answers were how to implement "y". Very poorly thought out.

Taz
Feb 21, 2006
woob woob
Has anyone had any experience with 70-410 yet? I'm finding it so much better than 70-640 (Which I got halfway through the text for and kind of just trailed off to not studying any more).

I'm reading the exam ref which seems pretty easy right now, do you think it would be sit-able with only the information in this ref?

(Note: I intend on also reading the Powershell 3 in a month of lunches book as well as skimming the actual 70-410 training guide before sitting the exam)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Canadian Maniac posted:

I definitely had a question about T568A/B on my A+ when I took it last summer. I also had two questions about it on my Network+, but it was far more expected that time.

Seriously, CompTIA? Who the gently caress still uses T568A. That's like asking for a network diagram on a token ring network.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Taz posted:

Has anyone had any experience with 70-410 yet? I'm finding it so much better than 70-640 (Which I got halfway through the text for and kind of just trailed off to not studying any more).

I'm reading the exam ref which seems pretty easy right now, do you think it would be sit-able with only the information in this ref?

(Note: I intend on also reading the Powershell 3 in a month of lunches book as well as skimming the actual 70-410 training guide before sitting the exam)

I don't understand why or how anyone is taking the new tests? Aren't the official MS Press books not even out?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've started studying for the Network+ test using the Lammle book from Sybex, and I've noticed in the end-of-chapter quizzes that there are often questions about things that haven't been covered yet (e.g. the OSI chapter, 2, has a question about bridges, hubs, and routers, but bridges and hubs were only mentioned in passing). Is this BS going to be a common occurrence for the rest of the book?

Taz
Feb 21, 2006
woob woob

Tab8715 posted:

I don't understand why or how anyone is taking the new tests? Aren't the official MS Press books not even out?

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?id=70-410 posted:

Microsoft Press Books
Training Guide: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012
Exam Ref 70-410: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0790145369826.do

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0790145369741.do?green=A01F0A39-1986-54D7-034F-E7025820322C&intcmp=af-mybuy-0790145369741.IP

They're most definitely out, and Oreilly had some crazy Microsoft Press sales over Christmas so at work we bought every one for the current Server 2012 MCSA in e-book format.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

psydude posted:

Thanks for this. Adding it to the OP.
Yeah, those are fantastic. I saw them one time before but forgot to ever follow up with them - ie, print, learn, use them. Gonna print a few out for the cubicle.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

psydude posted:

Seriously, CompTIA? Who the gently caress still uses T568A. That's like asking for a network diagram on a token ring network.

From a book I used last year the reasoning given is that techs should know how to wire their own Ethernet cables and I'll just quote the passage that explains the reasoning.

Mike Meyers posted:

The ability to make your own Ethernet cables is a real plus for a busy network tech... Why do the 568 standards say to split one of the pairs to the 3 and 6 positions? Wouldn't it make more sense to wire them sequentially (1 and 2;3 and 4;5 and 6;7 and 8)? The reason for this strange wiring scheme stems from the telephone world. A single telephone line uses two wires, and a typical RJ-11 connector has four connections. A single line is wired in the 2 and 3 positions; if the RJ-11 is designed to support a second phone line, the other pair is wired 1 and 4. TIA/EIA kept the old telephone standard for backward compatibility. The standardization doesn't stop stop at the wiring scheme : you can plug an RJ-11 connector into an RJ-45 outlet.

Oh wow this must be dated I've never heard of using an RJ-11 in an RJ-45 jack.

Honestly you to have memorize so much junk for those tests (cert forums really dislike talking so negatively about it). I'm just glad I'm done with Comptia. I think it's a good start in order to find out if you are truly interested in IT but it's only a start. I'm almost done with a two year degree in computer networking technology, and the focus has been on comptia (I got college credit for every certification). In retrospect if I had known more I'd have worked on a degree in CIS instead (CCNA focused) but I was clueless back then. Anyway I'm working the CCNA now. Subnetting is slowing me down but just need to keep working at it.

Lammle's Book is really not helping me learn subnetting can anyone recommend something better?

hooah posted:

I've started studying for the Network+ test using the Lammle book from Sybex, and I've noticed in the end-of-chapter quizzes that there are often questions about things that haven't been covered yet (e.g. the OSI chapter, 2, has a question about bridges, hubs, and routers, but bridges and hubs were only mentioned in passing). Is this BS going to be a common occurrence for the rest of the book?

Yes, you need to read the book with a fine tooth comb basically or have prior knowledge. If you're type of person that prefers videos there is this site: http://www.professormesser.com/ he's alright no annoying voice or anything worth a look.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

DropsySufferer posted:

Oh wow this must be dated I've never heard of using an RJ-11 in an RJ-45 jack.

Really? I do it all the time. I always tell clients/customers to get three jacks wired with cat5e/cat6 to every station before they move into a suite. That way they can have up to 2 network and a phone at every place without needing to string patch cables over cube walls with mini hubs. And if they don't use POTS phones the network cabling is already done for VOIP or another network device (printer, etc)

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 12, 2013

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

DropsySufferer posted:

Lammle's Book is really not helping me learn subnetting can anyone recommend something better?

The only real way to learn is to practice till it clicks. For that you can use https://www.subnettingquestions.com
Just keep hitting those questions until you start seeing patterns and are confident in it.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?
I struggled with subnetting until one day I realized that it was just basic fractions (1 bit slices the network pie into halves, 2 bits slices it into quarters) and after that it just stuck.

e: also I think making subnetting a ICND1 topic and VLSM a ICND2 topic is dumb.

Rene Rancourt fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 12, 2013

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

psydude posted:

Who the gently caress still uses T568A.

Is there some new pinout sweeping the nation?

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Jelmylicious posted:

Holy crap on a stick. I've seen the packetlife website, but never knew that this existed AND you can order posters from this site. This is amazing!

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
Anyone have suggestions for good practice materials for 70-461 and 70-462? I got thrown into the deep end as a DBA a few years back and had to pick up a lot on my feet, so I expect that I know most of the material well enough, but I need a good idea of what stupid minutiae I should bone up on (like command-line startup params) before I go burning corporate training budget on the exams. I have enough budget to take the tests and one class this year, and it sure would be nice to get the MCSA in two months rather than two years.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

inignot posted:

Is there some new pinout sweeping the nation?

T568B is what I've seen used most often.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

n0tqu1tesane posted:

T568B is what I've seen used most often.

Is that an American thing? Where I work we use A exclusively.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

VR Cowboy posted:

Is that an American thing? Where I work we use A exclusively.

Might be. I've never seen or used anything but B.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'll occasionally find A on some older Cat 5 drops that were run in the 90s. But everything else is strictly B.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Back when I did lan cabling everything we installed was B. However, every yellow cat 5 cable I've found packed with a Cisco router has been A. Also, go look at a crossever cable sometime, one end is A, one end is B.

Point is, EIA/TIA 568A & B are both reasonable pinouts to be asked about on a test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Actually, being asked about a pinout on a test is stupid because everyone just pulls that poo poo up on their smartphone until they've done it enough times to memorize white orange, orange, white green, blue, whiteblue, green, whitebrown, brown.

e: But yes, I get your point. I've still never seen A in the wild aside from the few cases I've mentioned.