Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Any Las Vegas Brewgoons want to get together for a beer? I'll be out for the annual play weekend starting on the 26th of this month. We're leaving sometime in the late morning of the 29th. We're staying on the Strip, but I imagine we can find a way to meet up wherever.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

fullroundaction posted:

New email promo from Northern Brewer:

Looks like it's glass, too. So broke from the holidays :(.

Fuuuuuuuuck. Just got a $150 order in the mail and not making another one anytime soon. Every carboy/bucket is full too, could use a few more.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks for the information everybody! Now a little bit about me. I've been home brewing for a short period of time (About 1 and a half years). I make mead and beer.
Right now I'm on my fourth 2 gallon batch of beer which is an Octoberfest (via a Mr. Beer kit) This is my last Mr. beer as i will be switching over to all grain having gained the necessary knowledge and confidence.

For meads which I am more passionate about I'm about to start my 4th gallon (The previously mentioned Maple)
Ive completed and drank a traditional plain mead,
Right now I have aging; 1 Gallon of apple cyser; 1 Gallon of strawberry raspberry Melomel (which I tasted this morning and is fantastic. I will bottle it soon and let it age a couple more months.

After these are all set I will be moving up in life to a 3 gallon carboy so I have more to drink for my work and leave the one gallon batches for experimentation. My only wish is that I had more storage space for all my stuff. Living in city apartments is very limiting.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

ZIGfried posted:

Someone posted a recipe on homebrew talk for basically a cheater berliner weisse from extract that's ready to drink in about a month. Should give you plenty of time to brew it and see if the groom likes it.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f72/berliner-weisse-268935/

Super awesome, thanks. I'd been looking through Wild Brews and was already thinking Lactobacillus was probably the way to go (Brett or Pediococcus are way too slow), and this looks really easy to get set up. For now I'll concentrate on getting a nice sour base before I start messing with anything else.

And that blueberry/cardamom recipe looks really intriguing, too. I may have to try that one for myself just to see how it comes out.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

With the white house ale I have fermenting right now there was a massive burst of fermentation and blowoff for the first day, but ever since it's seemed pretty dead. I brewed it on saturday so that means it's been like 4 days without any activity. Is it possible the yeast burned itself out? Should I pitch some new yeast or just wait longer?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Does anyone use 5.2 pH stabilizer? I have never measured or attempted to change my pH in the mash, and I have had very good results. Will this significantly effect my beers for the better?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

If you're getting good results now, no, you probably will not see a giant change for the better. It would probably be worth buying a tube of pH test strips and checking the pH of your mash on a batch or three just to see where you are settling. If you are finding you are at something like 5.0 - 5.5, there's probably no need to adjust. If you're way out of that scope, you might try 5.2 or other salts that will bring your pH in line, or adjusting your recipes to change your pH - that is, adding darkly roasted or acidulated malt if your pH is too high, etc. You can also do an acid rest if it becomes necessary.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

wargamerROB posted:

With the white house ale I have fermenting right now there was a massive burst of fermentation and blowoff for the first day, but ever since it's seemed pretty dead. I brewed it on saturday so that means it's been like 4 days without any activity. Is it possible the yeast burned itself out? Should I pitch some new yeast or just wait longer?

That's just how beer rolls, man. Its still doing things but its at the stage it isn't blowing off assloads of gas.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
bill for marzen: half pilsner and half light Munich a good setup? bit of dark crystal for color.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

wargamerROB posted:

The answer to any 'how is my fermentation doing' question is 'take a gravity reading and see.'

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

crazyfish posted:

The answer to any 'how is my fermentation doing' question is 'take a gravity reading and see.'

Confirming this.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Followed by tasting the hydrometer sample.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Followed by cleaning up all of the beer that spilled out of the hydrometer cylinder.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
I need a Rye IPA recipe, probably on the lighter side of the style in terms of ABV. I made a red rye-IPA recipe I found on HBT before that was very good, but I seem to have lost the link to the recipe. Any suggestions?

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
On Sunday I was going to brew a belgian wit with some of the preserved lemon I've made.

I just have no idea how much to use, or how to prep it for use. I was going to toss it in the boil at 15-10 minutes left, but I'm not sure if I should freeze it first, dry it out somehow, or what? I was planning on using one ounce of the stuff, which I assume is about one square inch of the peel.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

crazyfish posted:

Haha I don't have one yet; using a cheap kit. Guess it might be time to pick one up.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

wargamerROB posted:

Haha I don't have one yet; using a cheap kit. Guess it might be time to pick one up.

In that case, its not done yet, let it sit another week, drink a beer, relax. Or at least something to that effect.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

bengy81 posted:

In that case, its not done yet, let it sit another week, drink a beer, relax. Or at least something to that effect.

Seconding, I'd say two weeks just to be safe, but one weeks should be enough.

e: As a side note: Homebrew Clubs are the poo poo. Ordered and picked up 2 sacks (on the cheap/wholesale) and split 2 other with a couple chill lads in the club. Aw yeah...

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Sionak posted:

Super awesome, thanks. I'd been looking through Wild Brews and was already thinking Lactobacillus was probably the way to go (Brett or Pediococcus are way too slow), and this looks really easy to get set up. For now I'll concentrate on getting a nice sour base before I start messing with anything else.

And that blueberry/cardamom recipe looks really intriguing, too. I may have to try that one for myself just to see how it comes out.

My biggest regret was that I only did a gallon batch of it since it was originally for a competition. Also, I'm too lazy to go back to look and see if I miss-typed or you miss-read, but I used blackberries. I've got no clue how blueberries and cardamom would pair, it could be good, but there is a slight problem with blueberries being very ferment-able and it's really difficult to have their flavor stick around. In the recipe I posted, the cardamom was definitely the most forward flavor so you'd definitely have to dial it back if you try blueberries.
Last, if you do this in a carboy, be prepared for some wild colors. This thing started out a beautiful deep purple, worked it's way to pink/red, turned a gross grayish color, then finally settled at an almost orangey-gold color. I think it was still grayish when we bottled it. 4 months in the carboy, 2-3 weeks for priming, we just used carb tabs cause we were kinda lazy.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

bewbies posted:

bill for marzen: half pilsner and half light Munich a good setup? bit of dark crystal for color.

If you want a traditional one then no crystal malt. Use Vienna and Munich to get the color, you don't need any pilsner malt. If you want a lighter version you can do a portion pilsner malt. If you're going for a more American Sam Adams-esque version then your original plan is what you want.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

ScaerCroe posted:

I need a Rye IPA recipe, probably on the lighter side of the style in terms of ABV. I made a red rye-IPA recipe I found on HBT before that was very good, but I seem to have lost the link to the recipe. Any suggestions?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437782&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=235#post411319556

This is an attempt at a Founder's Rye clone. I have it in primary right now so I can't vouch for it personally but the internet seemed to like it.

Josh Wow posted:

If you want a traditional one then no crystal malt. Use Vienna and Munich to get the color, you don't need any pilsner malt. If you want a lighter version you can do a portion pilsner malt. If you're going for a more American Sam Adams-esque version then your original plan is what you want.

All KINDS of variations on this. Everyone seems to have a different idea of what "traditional" means.

What do you think of this?

6 lbs Munich 10
6 lbs Vienna
.5 lbs Biscuit
.5 lbs Carapils

edit - I should add that the biscuit is me chasing after the flavor in Ayinger's marzen, which I think has biscuit. Tell me if I'm off here...

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 11, 2013

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Jacobey000 posted:

e: As a side note: Homebrew Clubs are the poo poo.

Hells yeah. We're going to be getting a virgin oak 27 gal barrel through our club. Plan is to let a couple hoppy beers chill in there for a week or so to get the majority of the oak bite out and then we'll bulk age a Wee Heavy. Now if only it weren't horribly illegal for us to distill 27gals of moonshine first.

Plan is to have a style comp in April for Wee Heavys - winner's recipe will be used to group brew 27 gals worth. I'm hoping to crush the competition with ours (the two better brewers in the club have already screwed up - one let it ferment a little hot and it's very banana-y right now, the other is using peat malt which never ends up very good in beer - I'll be using rauchmalt and hopefully that'll give us the edge).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Super Rad posted:

Hells yeah. We're going to be getting a virgin oak 27 gal barrel through our club. Plan is to let a couple hoppy beers chill in there for a week or so to get the majority of the oak bite out and then we'll bulk age a Wee Heavy. Now if only it weren't horribly illegal for us to distill 27gals of moonshine first.

Plan is to have a style comp in April for Wee Heavys - winner's recipe will be used to group brew 27 gals worth. I'm hoping to crush the competition with ours (the two better brewers in the club have already screwed up - one let it ferment a little hot and it's very banana-y right now, the other is using peat malt which never ends up very good in beer - I'll be using rauchmalt and hopefully that'll give us the edge).

Why use smoked malt at all in a Scotch ale? Not that I have a problem with brewing against style, but smoked malt in a Scotch ale always tastes off to me.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I thought Scotch ales historically had a slight peat to them?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Midorka posted:

About as historically as tripels have always been tripels. Which is to say history is generally written by the marketing team.

I more want to know how oak is going to play nice with the diacetyl which already jacks up the cloy in big beers.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Midorka posted:

The style description does not use peat smoked malt (which has a very particular, read: bad, flavor in beer) but rather indicates a "hint" of smokiness, which often comes from heavy kettle caramelization rather than smoked malt.

I suppose I just don't like the use of smoked malt in general because I don't think it tastes very good, so I supposed my opposition to it is pure bias.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Peat smoked malt really truly doesn't belong anywhere near beer. It never was traditionally and it's pretty heinous to use it now.

e: Don't take that the wrong way, rauch malt is a wonderful thing, but it doesn't belong in a wee heavy either.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

fullroundaction posted:

New email promo from Northern Brewer:

Looks like it's glass, too. So broke from the holidays :(.

Just ordered this, and if you add the $37.99 carboy to your cart to get above $150, then apply the discount, it still works. So basically you only need to order $112.01 to get the free carboy.

Thanks for the heads up, btw.

Bowrrl
Mar 12, 2011
What does peat smoked malt do that is so horrible? I love smoked beers so I was interested in finding one with peat malt but it seems like everything I hear about them is negative.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I'll gainsay the tide against peated beers. I've done a few, and I liked them just fine.

I think Stone's Smoked Porter uses peated malt, but I may be misremembering.

EDIT:

Stone's website posted:

Smooth, with chocolate and coffee-like flavors balanced by subtle "smoky" character of peat-smoked specialty malt.

Link

VVV I like smoke and dirt, I guess.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 11, 2013

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Bowrrl posted:

What does peat smoked malt do that is so horrible? I love smoked beers so I was interested in finding one with peat malt but it seems like everything I hear about them is negative.

The short answer is that it tastes like smoke and dirt.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

More accurately it tastes like burnt smoky dirt.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

bewbies posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437782&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=235#post411319556

This is an attempt at a Founder's Rye clone. I have it in primary right now so I can't vouch for it personally but the internet seemed to like it.

All KINDS of variations on this. Everyone seems to have a different idea of what "traditional" means.

What do you think of this?

6 lbs Munich 10
6 lbs Vienna
.5 lbs Biscuit
.5 lbs Carapils

edit - I should add that the biscuit is me chasing after the flavor in Ayinger's marzen, which I think has biscuit. Tell me if I'm off here...

My festbier is 70% Vienna and 30% Munich II and Wyeast Munich lager. The recipe you posted would be fine, but I feel it'd be a more Americanized version. My version isn't quite as good as Ayinger's of course, but it's like 90% there to me. I think if I did a double decoction and maybe did a little more Munich it'd get even closer.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Going to pour yourself a pint of homebrew from your keg, only to realize one of your dumbfuck friends thought it would be a good idea to turn your CO2 tank all the way up, full pressure, because he wants a "foamy head" over 3 days ago: expensive and annoying as gently caress. Quarter full CO2 tank now completely empty as it is all now in solution in near 15 gallons of beer.

loving morons. Guess i have to have a giant passive aggressive note over my regulator now that says "Don't loving touch you stupid mongoloid."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Peat smoked malt tastes like an open grave.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Seattle goonbrewers:

I'm interested in setting up a brew club. PM me if interested, we can trade beers/recipes and schedule brew days.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

hellfaucet posted:

Going to pour yourself a pint of homebrew from your keg, only to realize one of your dumbfuck friends thought it would be a good idea to turn your CO2 tank all the way up, full pressure, because he wants a "foamy head" over 3 days ago: expensive and annoying as gently caress. Quarter full CO2 tank now completely empty as it is all now in solution in near 15 gallons of beer.

loving morons. Guess i have to have a giant passive aggressive note over my regulator now that says "Don't loving touch you stupid mongoloid."

My baby has pushed over my CO2 tank. Can't call him a loving moron though, but it was the last time he touched it. Why not just slap on hardware store latch with lock? Also: make the fucker pay for a full tank.

As far as the beer, just gas them off and let them sit for a while, check and recheck.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

hellfaucet posted:

rear end in a top hat owes you a new tank. You don't gently caress with another man's beer.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Everyone saying peated malt tastes like rear end: do you like peaty whiskies? Lots of people describe Islay scotches like you're describing peat smoked malt, but I could also see it being way too strong without mellowing in a barrel for 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I think peated malt has a way stronger flavor than hardwood smoked malts do. Rauchbier recipes I have seen call for up to 100% smoked malt (http://beersmith.com/blog/2011/01/20/german-rauchbier-and-smoked-beer-recipes/), but I have never used more than about 8% peated malt in a recipe, even though I love the stuff. I also find that peated malt is quite variable - I brewed the same recipe twice, and found that the second batch had significantly less peat smoke to it.

Anyway, opinions being what they are, there is no "right answer" to the question - there is only the right answer for each brewer and each drinker. Try it out and see what you think for your own palate.