Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

MBA questions:

I'm considering buying the current model of the 11" MBA with and i5 processor, 4 GB RAM and, and 128 GB memory storage. I wanted an ultraportable because I can't carry around my 17" Dell around and the 3rd gen iPad is no replacement for a computer.

I would like to upgrade if Apple releases a new MBA with a Haswell processor and a retina display, but I wanted to figure out if I should be an early adopter and getting it in 2013 or if I should wait another year for them to smooth out any kinks of those features. I wanted to know how much the resale value of the computer would depreciate after 2 generations to figure out if I would be better off upgrading in 2013 as opposed to 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pigasus posted:

MBA questions:

I'm considering buying the current model of the 11" MBA with and i5 processor, 4 GB RAM and, and 128 GB memory storage. I wanted an ultraportable because I can't carry around my 17" Dell around and the 3rd gen iPad is no replacement for a computer.

I would like to upgrade if Apple releases a new MBA with a Haswell processor and a retina display, but I wanted to figure out if I should be an early adopter and getting it in 2013 or if I should wait another year for them to smooth out any kinks of those features. I wanted to know how much the resale value of the computer would depreciate after 2 generations to figure out if I would be better off upgrading in 2013 as opposed to 2014.

Used Mac pricing is mysterious so you never know. A year-old model might sell for $50 or $250 less than the current one. It also depends on how good you take care of your poo poo.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Don Lapre posted:

OSX should automatically align.

Maybe my google-fu is weak, but I've yet to see this cited by an even unofficial source, except by some wave-off of "OS X doesn't need it" by an officer at OCZ of all places who made the statement about 2 years ago.

How and when does it do it? When the EFI partition is created by Disk Utility, or during an OS install when the installer is playing around with creating the recovery partition?

quote:

It also supports trim if you download the trim enabler.

I run fsck to manually engage TRIM because at least I get feedback that it's happening. I know it will get triggered eventually but I like to hurry things up.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm too lazy to break out one of our $50,000 SATA bus analyzers to collect a trace, but I've seen traces we've collected before and can guarantee OS X does fine with TRIM ATA commands.

Alignment is also a non-issue. We looked into it ages ago when native 4k-sector was moving forward in the HDD industry.

edit: I also have access to Apple's storage spec sheets.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 11, 2013

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Bob Morales posted:

Used Mac pricing is mysterious so you never know. A year-old model might sell for $50 or $250 less than the current one. It also depends on how good you take care of your poo poo.

I couldn't help but ask since it seems like conventional wisdom around here says that it's best to wait 2 years before upgrading. I wanted to know about the reasoning behind that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don't worry so much over resale value. When you're ready for a new computer just check Apple's refurb prices and see if you can get close to that. You'll probably lose 15-20% with each new generation released.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pigasus posted:

I couldn't help but ask since it seems like conventional wisdom around here says that it's best to wait 2 years before upgrading. I wanted to know about the reasoning behind that.

Mac depreciation levels off after a while. Just upgrade when you need a new machine.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Who said wait 2 years?

A lot of people. The initial hit from buying a new mac laptop is pretty large and stable until the next iteration comes along- then it's another huge blow to the value. It is then stable the entire year, until the next iteration, but generally the value hit this time is even lower- and it's not a bad time to sell it and upgrade as the performance jump is sizable and the value starts dropping again quickly as new and better features are becoming common place.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
So I'm looking at the Mini with two internal hard drives. They come as separate volumes to the OS and not in a RAID mirror, is that correct?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Less Fat Luke posted:

So I'm looking at the Mini with two internal hard drives. They come as separate volumes to the OS and not in a RAID mirror, is that correct?

Correct

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pigasus posted:

MBA questions:

There will be no Retina Macbook Air next year just another processor refresh, along with slight improvements to weight and size due to changing out some parts.

It will probably take a few generations for Retina to trickle down to the MBA due to the more challenging manufacturing process, lower price vs. Pro Retina and also limited pool of suppliers.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

etalian posted:

There will be no Retina Macbook Air next year just another processor refresh, along with slight improvements to weight and size due to changing out some parts.

It will probably take a few generations for Retina to trickle down to the MBA due to the more challenging manufacturing process, lower price vs. Pro Retina and also limited pool of suppliers.

I could definitely see a retina air next year with the new intel chips, lower power and 2x more powerful graphics is perfect for a retina air.

Apple tends to adopt technology pretty quickly among their devices.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Why would they go and put a retina display in the air and make it a "better" retina pro than the retina pro is?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Why wouldn't they. They do it now with the MBP and and MBA. The MBP and AIR are the same price now and the air probably costs less to make. No reason they wouldn't do the same thing with the rMBP and rAIR.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Awesome, thank you.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Eventually. Of course they've done it before- with basically every product they've ever made.
And for a notebook specific example, just look at the MBA. Something like $1600+ when they came out, a year or two later they're down to $1000.

Pigasus posted:

It's best to buy when you need something, maybe wait if you can cause you might as well get the newest possible machine. As far as upgrading I guess 2 years is reasonable, but it's all fluid depending on what you need/want vs what comes out.

Don Lapre posted:

Why wouldn't they. They do it now with the MBP and and MBA. The MBP and AIR are the same price now and the air probably costs less to make. No reason they wouldn't do the same thing with the rMBP and rAIR.
Long term I guess it depends whether you think they'll keep separate lines or eventually consolidate down. Seems like a goal of the retina MBP was to make it more like the MBA to begin with, extend that out over time and eventually the difference would just be semantic.

On the other hand there'll be a huge range of CPU/GPU power options which could be reason enough to keep separate form factors, like the MBA would continue getting thinner and lighter, MBP would sacrifice some (relative) portability for more power...so yeah, the same as they do now.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

japtor posted:

And for a notebook specific example, just look at the MBA. Something like $1600+ when they came out, a year or two later they're down to $1000.

And could easily reach $3000 if you doubled the SSD capacity and also had lots of thermal problems due to CPUs not being caught up with the overall concept.

It took a few years to get a get reasonably price laptop that's pretty much annoying issue free.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

japtor posted:

To be fair, the $999 Air is the 11", 2GB (4GB now) 64GB model. The $1199/$1299 Air is still there.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

To be fair, the $999 Air is the 11", 2GB (4GB now) 64GB model. The $1199/$1299 Air is still there.

Apple has the base 13" model for $1000 refurb and the rumor mill says another price cut is due in 2013 to compete better with the lower priced ultrabooks.

Probably another minor $100/$50 price cut similar to what was done with the Ivy bridge models.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Apparently I misremembered the original base price:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/specs/macbook-air-core-2-duo-1.6-13-specs.html

quote:

Original Price (US): US$1799*
*This was the price for the stock configuration with a 1.6 GHz processor and an 80 GB hard drive. Via custom configuration, it originally could be equipped with a 1.8 GHz processor and a 64 GB solid-state drive for US$3098, and on July 8, 2008, Apple dropped the upgraded price to US$2598.
Forgot it came with the slow rear end iPod HD too...so that $3098 one is more comparable to the current model :stare:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

japtor posted:

Apparently I misremembered the original base price:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/specs/macbook-air-core-2-duo-1.6-13-specs.html

Forgot it came with the slow rear end iPod HD too...so that $3098 one is more comparable to the current model :stare:

The 2008 MBA was Frankenstein product since many things such as CPU and integrated graphics hadn't caught up yet with the form factor.

Only had around 2.5 hours of battery life for real-world use due to the higher power consumption for all the components and lower
capacity battery.

It's pretty amazing to see how much things change in 5 years.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

lol

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

The first-gen Air was such a piece of poo poo.

To be fair most first-gen Apple products are/were.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I just wanted to thank you all for recommending the SSD to upgrade my 2008 iMac. It was pretty painless and its like a whole new computer. I was close to dropping 1400 on a new iMac and this saved me about 1200. Endless thanks and appreciation.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sprat Sandwich posted:

The first-gen Air was such a piece of poo poo.

To be fair most first-gen Apple products are/were.

It didn't even have stereo sound, it was quite the wreck looking back at the 1st Gen product.

etalian fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 12, 2013

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it
Replaced the screen on my rMBP 15" and got a Samsung for those thinking of doing the same. Still haven't heard of anyone being given a LG screen as a replacement.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

rsjr posted:

Replaced the screen on my rMBP 15" and got a Samsung for those thinking of doing the same. Still haven't heard of anyone being given a LG screen as a replacement.

Do they actually replace the screen or do they just give you a new rMBP?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

etalian posted:

It didn't even have stereo sound, it was quite the wreck looking back at the 1st Gen product.

It had stereo sound - it just didn't have stereo speakers. Just a speaker.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
I may have missed this, but here goes.

Picked up a late 2012 Mini (500gb model) to replace my 2011 - which I am sending in to a colo company. I pulled the 256gb ssd from my 2011, put it in the 2012 and booted up. Immediately I am getting the international 'no' icon (circle w/ slash).

If I boot to the 500gb it shipped with, it is fine. I can connect the ssd via external enclosure and *sometimes* it will see it. If I set it as startup drive, it won't boot - just goes to the 500gb. Additionally, I can not startup w/ cmd-r or Opt.

I've read about the Fusion issues with adding a drive, but this isn't a Fusion drive (only 1tb are, correct?).

Any thoughts? Bad hardware? Demons?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If you never updated the OS on the 2011 Mini, it only came with OS X 10.7.2. 2012 Mini requires OS X 10.8.1 at the minimum.

Apple has a history of locking out certain OS levels in firmware.

Also, the 2012 Mini has an Intel HD 4000 GPU, which there's no drivers for in 10.7.x.

If you have Mountain Lion on a USB stick or have an App Store account you can update the older drive to Mountain Lion and get bootabiity back.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 12, 2013

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

pipebomb posted:

Any thoughts?

The 2012 Mini ships with a custom build of OS X (10.8.2 plus new drivers for the new hardware). My 2012 Mini is running build 12C2034 according to About This Mac, whereas my 10.8.2 Macbook Pro is running 12C60. Presumably the different number indicates the new driver support.

In general, a new Mac only boots with new OSes and updates to new OSes that are released after the hardware comes out.

To get the special version of OS X installed on a new drive, you may be able to boot the 2012 Mini into recovery mode with that disk attached and install to that drive. In theory it would be able to install overtop your old OS without erasing it first, but you should back up just in case.

Usually what happens is once a new OS update (10.8.3, as it's the next number) comes out for both 2011 and 2012 Minis, you'll be able to drive swap after installing the update.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X_Mountain_Lion#Release_history

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Do you guys with MacBook Pros use a case or keyboard cover? I think I'm definitely going to get a keyboard cover. As far as I can tell, Moshi is the best but also the most expensive. Is there a difference between the Moshi covers and the $5 covers on Amazon?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I've seen a few people here mention covers...but I've never actually run into anyone using them in the wild.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

keevo posted:

Do you guys with MacBook Pros use a case or keyboard cover? I think I'm definitely going to get a keyboard cover. As far as I can tell, Moshi is the best but also the most expensive. Is there a difference between the Moshi covers and the $5 covers on Amazon?

Moshi makes a really nice product, the more difference is better durability vs. the cheaper products. I have iGlaze for my MBA and the plastic they use is high quality enough to pass the key scratch test.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Alright, so I need two replacement batteries for Mid-2009 Unibody MacBook Pros. I know I can pay Apple $130 to do a swap, but I'd really like a cheaper DIY alternative. Anyone know of a reliable source for these batteries? I've seen some results on Amazon, but a lot of them are labeled "Six-Cell Replacement Battery" and as I understand it these system used molded LiPolymer batteries. I've also seen a few sites that are selling apparently used (with only a few discharge counts) batteries, but that seems sort of shady to me.

Anyone have a good resource for OEM or aftermarket batteries that they can vouch for?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Aftermarket batteries are a real hit or miss and usually a miss.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I bought a an external housing for my old 2008 iMac 3.5 hd. It has an external power supply that lights up when I push the button.

When I plug it into my computer I get nothing. Doesn't recognize it anywhere (in terminal or disk utility). Any advice?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

keevo posted:

Do you guys with MacBook Pros use a case or keyboard cover?
I got a Speck hard shell for mine and dig it pretty well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

Alright, so I need two replacement batteries for Mid-2009 Unibody MacBook Pros. I know I can pay Apple $130 to do a swap, but I'd really like a cheaper DIY alternative. Anyone know of a reliable source for these batteries? I've seen some results on Amazon, but a lot of them are labeled "Six-Cell Replacement Battery" and as I understand it these system used molded LiPolymer batteries. I've also seen a few sites that are selling apparently used (with only a few discharge counts) batteries, but that seems sort of shady to me.

Anyone have a good resource for OEM or aftermarket batteries that they can vouch for?

NuPower from OWC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

NuPower from OWC

It's $100 online looks like there's not a good cheapskate option online.

etalian fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 13, 2013