Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Mostly through Inbetweeners now and it's pretty funny, but you realize after only a bit that Will is the biggest tool of the bunch, and it's annoying that he never changes even a little.

e: what I mean is I can see the rest of them, especially Simon, growing up to be decent people, but Will is only going to become even more of a dick as he gets older. He'll develop a classic "nice guy" complex and go into banking probably.

You get some more development with Will in the movie. Worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Ror posted:

I would almost tell someone watching Heroes to just stop at the end of season 1 and pretend that is the whole show, but there are no clean breaking points. You will watch the finale and want to jump into season 2 and before you know it you will be sad and confused and you will have no idea where it all went wrong.

I watched Heroes season 1 way back when and felt it was self-contained enough that I had 0 desire to continue watching. Turns out I had the right idea.

Mu Zeta posted:

You get some more development with Will in the movie. Worth watching.

Ah, I didn't even know there was a movie. Neat.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
Todd Margaret. What a bleak show.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Revisiting Batman: The Animated Series and it never ceases to amaze me how much they got pitch perfect on that show. While the animation is sometimes spotty, the writing, voice acting, music, art style all come together to form one of the best animated series ever made.

It also turned me toward Justice League for the first time. I generally don't care for DC (or superheroes in general) outside of Batman, but there were lots of great episodes and the character interactions are what make the show worth binging through (Flash :3: ).

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Powered through both seasons of Game of Thrones. I prefer the show when it's focusing on political intrigue and the harshness of the world the characters inhabit, and less so when the mystical magical stuff occasionally emerges. It's a good show, peeves aside.

Also watched the first season of The Booth at the End and I'm a little tired of the gimmicky framework supporting it. I'll probably still watch the second season, because the Man is too good, but I feel like I've seen most of the show's scthick at this point.

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

Must you betray me with a kiss?
I watched the US series of Being Human, and while it's good but not great, I'm interested. I'm about to begin the UK series.
In the meantime a friend suggested that I watch Lost Girl and my god if this poo poo isn't awful.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Mustached5thGrader posted:

Todd Margaret. What a bleak show.

Jon Hamm playing himself was possibly the hardest I've ever laughed at a tv show.

Also that show taught me that Amber Tamblyn's dad was the psychologist (psychiatrist?) on Twin Peaks.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Glasgow posted:

In the meantime a friend suggested that I watch Lost Girl and my god if this poo poo isn't awful.

I have to smile because I recently got a similar suggestion, that show is just pure dreadful and has zero charm. Somehow its on its third season.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

shagster104 posted:

I'm about to start watching Heroes for the first time. Anything I should know?

Watch Alphas instead. Or at least watch Alphas next.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Rabbit Hill posted:

You're right. Skip Heroes, and watch Alphas instead. A superior 'superhero' show in every way.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

richardfun posted:

You're right. Skip Heroes, and watch Alphas instead. A superior 'superhero' show in every way.

Then watch Misfits

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Jon Hamm playing himself was possibly the hardest I've ever laughed at a tv show.

Also that show taught me that Amber Tamblyn's dad was the psychologist (psychiatrist?) on Twin Peaks.

Hahaha, yes that was great. I thought I had missed something upon that reveal.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Around halfway through the first season of The X-Files, and I'm really enjoying it :)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Just finished up Dollhouse, interesting concept if not a little too "action gurrl"-y by the end of it. Now I'm thinking of starting Battlestar Galactica, although I may just watch the miniseries at first.

e: Oh cool, Agent Ballard is in here too.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 8, 2013

shagster104
Jan 3, 2012

Rabbit Hill posted:

I've watched all of alphas, and 2 seasons of misfits. Both much better than heroes. I just thought of give heroes a shot.

Zomise
Jan 7, 2013

Imagine life is
just a dream.
Trying to find some new series to engorge through. Currently watching Continuum (A detective from the year 2077 finds herself trapped in present day Vancouver and searching for ruthless criminals from the future.), but it's not as good as I hoped it to be. I want a new Whedon show... I watch so many series it feels there's no new old ones for me to discover.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Have you tried Charlie Jade?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mustached5thGrader posted:

Hahaha, yes that was great. I thought I had missed something upon that reveal.

Watched the whole show through recently too and this was definitely my favourite part of a distinctly average second season. Loved everything about the first, though.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

shagster104 posted:

I've watched all of alphas, and 2 seasons of misfits. Both much better than heroes. I just thought of give heroes a shot.

Well, honestly, although it's not as good as Alphas, I really enjoyed Heroes season 1 when it aired. The last half of the season picks up a lot of momentum, and since I remained completely unspoiled when I watched it, there were a number of twists and reveals that were genuinely exciting and awesome. (So for that reason, I recommend you don't read plot synopses or spoil yourself at all while plowing through the episodes.) Just pretend that the show ends after the season finale, and you'll be entertained.

computer parts posted:

e: Oh cool, Agent Ballard is in here too.

Helo :allears: I got a lot of poo poo for this while watching with my friends, but Helo was unabashedly my favorite character in a cast full of wonderful characters.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 8, 2013

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

shagster104 posted:

I got a pretty good laugh at how atrocious Heroes became but I agree that you would be better off stopping after season one and move onto something else, such as The 4400. It's similar enough to Heroes but much better.

shagster104
Jan 3, 2012

Jingleheimer posted:

I got a pretty good laugh at how atrocious Heroes became but I agree that you would be better off stopping after season one and move onto something else, such as The 4400. It's similar enough to Heroes but much better.

I caught the first episode of the 4400 when it first aired and thought it was interesting, I'm gonna have to try to find it somewhere, dvds or otherwise.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

shagster104 posted:

I caught the first episode of the 4400 when it first aired and thought it was interesting, I'm gonna have to try to find it somewhere, dvds or otherwise.

Forewarning series ends in a cliffhanger due to cancellation. I really enjoyed that show sad it just ends.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

I always feel like I'm the only one who *really* liked Heroes, even the bad episodes I liked.

As far as the "Normal person turned Super" genre goes, I still recommend watching Heroes all the way through, keeping in mind that season 1 was pretty epic (in my opinion), and the rest most people regard as terrible. After that, watch all of Alphas, because it really is what Heroes should have been. Then watch all of Misfits to see how the genre can be made awesome and hilarious. After that, if you can find it, watch The 4400 and cry at the fact that we never got any more episodes even though it was going in an amazing direction.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

shagster104 posted:

I'm about to start watching Heroes for the first time. Anything I should know?

I just finished watching Heroes seasons three and four after having watched the first two when they initially aired, for the love of god do not even consider watching past season two. I'm really hard pressed to come up with a show that took a bigger nosedive. It wasn't even Steven Seagal movie kind of bad where you can find humor in how awful it is. It's like they systematically went through stripping everything fun out of the show and set to work on making me hate all the characters I liked.

I'm still kind of reeling over how awful season four was.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Heroes is like a roller coaster ride that just keeps going up and up so the first hill looks really high and then when you get over the top of the first hill you find that instead of a thrilling drop the track is actually flat until it just starts going up again and you're like "holy poo poo this is going to be amazing when it finally drops" but when you get to the top of that second hill the track is flat again but this time there's a rotting dead deer laying across it so the roller coaster stops and you get out and have to walk back in the putrid dead deer smell and stand in line to ride it again.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I wish someone could Haitian seasons three and four away so I could just remember the cool superhero show I enjoyed. On a more positive note I'm pretty excited to start Alphas after all the goon hype.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Yeah, because my friend and I absolutely loved Heroes back then :smith: I was a bit jaded about the whole genre after that and never got to watch any other hero shows, super or otherwise. Even today, when I think about some of the insane poo poo they pulled off it makes my head hurts.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
True Blood. A few of my friends have suggested watching it. I have HBOgo, so I have access to the entire series. I'm not really into the whole vampire thing, though.

I seriously don't think I have anything else to binge on, save for some alcohol. Is the show worthy of churning through?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The first season was OK but then it got real weird real fast. Some folks have been suggesting Vampire Diaries, so that might be an option?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

shagster104 posted:

The initial mini-series is good, but the series-proper sucks all kinds of balls.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

harlequin baby posted:

True Blood. A few of my friends have suggested watching it. I have HBOgo, so I have access to the entire series. I'm not really into the whole vampire thing, though.

I seriously don't think I have anything else to binge on, save for some alcohol. Is the show worthy of churning through?

It's never dull. Add a star if you're female. Every season takes me a few eps to get into it though.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

lordfrikk posted:

The first season was OK but then it got real weird real fast. Some folks have been suggesting Vampire Diaries, so that might be an option?

Yeah, season two was where it started getting batshit, but in a good way.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The wife and I started going through Six Feet Under, completing season 2 in just 3 days. I've never seen the whole series, she's never seen any of it, and I've already hidden away a box of kleenex to give her during the finale.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I remember watching the explosive break-up scene in season 2 (oh god it aired 10 years ago) and it absolutely blew me away. I'd never seen acting like that on TV at the time.

e: oh it's on youtube too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi-rvruy70M

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I remember watching the explosive break-up scene in season 2 (oh god it aired 10 years ago) and it absolutely blew me away. I'd never seen acting like that on TV at the time.

God, I really need to rewatch this series. It's the only tv show that's had me go from actively liking a character to actively hating them season to season, and it's all of them that do this.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

I'm doing a binge of Californication and drat it is good, but hard to watch at times. I feel like it s a long slow descent into hell.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

njbeachbum posted:

I'm doing a binge of Californication and drat it is good, but hard to watch at times. I feel like it s a long slow descent into hell.

Unfortunately the quality drops sharply in the last couple of seasons.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Flatscan posted:

Unfortunately the quality drops sharply in the last couple of seasons.

Isn't that always the case?

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

I've stuck with it thus far, but the new season premier last night was pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I'm sorry I didn't listen to everyone in the world. Including my poor old dad who just wanted a buddy to gush over the show with.

Justified is pretty god drat great. I've only watched the first season, but I have them all and apparently it gets better. I'm just loving the writing and the dry humor. Even the episodes that were just like procedurals were really engaging and flew by as a result. I also thought Timothy Olyphant was just a pretty cool dude, but apparently he's a loving badass. A beautiful badass. :allears:

I duly apologize for not accepting the recommendation earlier.