Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Alereon posted:

They're not maintaining the 64-bit nightlies so things may be broken. You're supposed to be using the 32-bit builds.

I saw this, which is what prompted me to look into it. I guess they just haven't started updates again yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

icantfindaname posted:

I saw this, which is what prompted me to look into it. I guess they just haven't started updates again yet?

quote:

win64 builds will be considered a tier 3ď build configuration.

The last point is worth expanding on from Mozilla’s Supported build configurations page: “Tier-3 platforms have a maintainer or community which attempt to keep the platform working. These platforms may or may not work at any time, and often have little test coverage.”

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Waterfox 17 is not being developed, as it is so far behind schedule that the author moved right over to working on WF18.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Makes sense. 18 was supposed to be released next week. In reality it will probably be the middle of the month, but it's too late. 19 will be out sometime in February too I believe.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I've used Waterfox for over a year, but I never really found a benefit with it. I know it's faster in benchmarks, but I never really found a difference in performance even with Firefox using over 1500MB of RAM.

I'm running Windows 7 x64 with 24GB of RAM and an i7 920 if it means anything.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

fookolt posted:

I've used Waterfox for over a year, but I never really found a benefit with it. I know it's faster in benchmarks, but I never really found a difference in performance even with Firefox using over 1500MB of RAM.
Of the benchmarks on their site:
Their BrowserMark score is ~10% higher than FF; the version of BrowserMark they used is unspecified but seems to no longer exist
There is no such thing as the "Fishbowl" benchmark
Firefox wins the V8 benchmark by ~13%
Waterfox is 0.5% slower than FF at SunSpider

You aren't seeing any benefit with WF because there isn't any. It's maybe faster at a certain synthetic benchmark, but its JavaScript performance is at best equal to FF.

It has the pretty big downside of not receiving security patches. The current version of WaterFox is 16.0.1, which is missing the 16.0.2 critical security patch. Plus any more recent security fixes.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
I used it because 64-bit flash just seemed to be a little bit more stable than the 32-bit version which as a result made the browser seem to be more responsive. Half the people complaining about it are just doing it because they think 64-bit means it's better or they think that Chrome is 64-bit, which it isn't or in some situations only partially 64-bit.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Of the benchmarks on their site:
Their BrowserMark score is ~10% higher than FF; the version of BrowserMark they used is unspecified but seems to no longer exist
There is no such thing as the "Fishbowl" benchmark
Firefox wins the V8 benchmark by ~13%
Waterfox is 0.5% slower than FF at SunSpider

You aren't seeing any benefit with WF because there isn't any. It's maybe faster at a certain synthetic benchmark, but its JavaScript performance is at best equal to FF.

It has the pretty big downside of not receiving security patches. The current version of WaterFox is 16.0.1, which is missing the 16.0.2 critical security patch. Plus any more recent security fixes.

Yeah, I should have mentioned I switched over back to regular ol' Firefox because of that security patch issue.

I just wish there was a version of Firefox that could handle using 2000+ MB of RAM. I hate restarting my browser :sigh:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I never perceived any difference with various 64-bit builds of FF over 32-bit ones. I did use Palemoon for a time, but only because it removed some FF features I didn't like. (Then it removed some newer features I did like so I switched back to FF.)

For your memory issues, maybe you could find an addon to put tabs to "sleep" (cached) after a certain amount of unused time? I'm sure I had that feature at some point, I think it was in Tab Mix Plus but I'm not sure.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
TMP doesn't seem to have anything like that, but I've been using Unloadtab for a while now and it seems to work properly.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Bieeardo posted:

TMP doesn't seem to have anything like that, but I've been using Unloadtab for a while now and it seems to work properly.

Is it still working on the latest version? I've been trying to get it to function on a fresh install but it doesn't let me add anything to the exclusion list, and when I check "Always Load" or whatever on one tab, it checks it for every single tab, and vice versa. Seems broken.

I really wish it would work, though, as I have one tab I always want to be functional and one that will suck up tons of memory if it doesn't get closed (or disabled) after some time, so this extension seemed perfect until it didn't work :smith:

Nevermind, it works on a fresh profile after deleting the old one. I guess "reset Firefox" doesn't completely wipe out everything. I must have some setting somewhere that breaks it, so I'll have to figure it out!

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 31, 2012

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Bieeardo posted:

This looks great; thanks!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

This is a very long shot, but you know how SALR lets you tag goons with a "colouring/note" between their username and avatar, so you can remember who's a cool guy, who constantly argues in bad faith, who's a dogfucker, etc.?

I just ran into an exceedingly stupid article on a fairly major newspaper, and I thought it would be cool if there were something similar, except that recognised names from any webpage. So I could select the author's name, right click, and add something like "a complete idiot", or a choice quote from the article, and if I ran into that journalist at a later point I would know not to bother. E.g. "George W. Bush" would get replaced by "George W. Bush [They misunderestimated me]" or whatever.

I looked into text-replacement extensions, but they all involve going into a menu to insert both string entries, since they're likely meant for censoring bad words and whatnot. So, does anyone know of an extension that lets you set up text replacements on the fly, right click -> type replacement text?

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number
Edit: Wait I clicked on the wrong thread :(

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
FF 18 is out.

Thanks for those who commented that Waterfox and Firefox have no real difference in performance anymore, I have been waiting for Waterfox to update forever, but didn't really realize the performance gain in using it was largely a placebo.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

jeeves posted:

FF 18 is out.

Thanks for those who commented that Waterfox and Firefox have no real difference in performance anymore, I have been waiting for Waterfox to update forever, but didn't really realize the performance gain in using it was largely a placebo.

The real draw to it is using 64 bit Java and Flash for me. I simply end up with better performance in those in their 64 bit versions and am often dealing with sites that use Flash or Java heavily so it's a major impact for me.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
If I have java x86 and x64 installed at the same time, will x64 take precedence?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

18 is ridiculously fast compared to 17. Earlier browser launch took maybe 10-20s at least, now it starts up pretty much right away with two windows and 220+65 (yeah...) tabs. Also tab switching happens nearly instantly, while before there was a noticeable latency with it. Pages seem to load a lot faster too.

It feels pretty weird, being used to Firefox's inherent slowness for years, then suddendly everything working like a dream. Combined with a new OS (Windows 8) and other software like Office 2013, programs finally feel like they are actually using the resources of a modern computer in attempt to be as fast and smooth as possible.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

jeeves posted:

If I have java x86 and x64 installed at the same time, will x64 take precedence?

64 bit browsers will always use 64 bit Java while 32 bit browsers will always use 32 bit Java.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I see FF18 shipped with the slow-scrolling bug. :smith:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

What is a "slow-scrolling bug"? When FF17 was released my scrolling speed tanked. Some guys advised to change the following values:

mousewheel.default.delta_multiplier_x
mousewheel.default.delta_multiplier_y

I have them at 200 and scrolling works OK. You can also tweak the speed of scrolling with:

general.smoothScroll.mouseWheel.durationMaxMS
general.smoothScroll.mouseWheel.durationMinMS

Maybe adjusting those options would help if the scrolling feels slow?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

It feels pretty weird, being used to Firefox's inherent slowness for years, then suddendly everything working like a dream. Combined with a new OS (Windows 8) and other software like Office 2013, programs finally feel like they are actually using the resources of a modern computer in attempt to be as fast and smooth as possible.
FF18 is clearly faster and Windows maybe faster than many previous iterations, but there's no way I'd say "as possible".

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Hogburto posted:

FF18 is clearly faster and Windows maybe faster than many previous iterations, but there's no way I'd say "as possible".

That's why I said "in attempt to be" :)

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

That's why I said "in attempt to be" :)
Heh. I've never been a good communicator. :)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
I'm still on 17.0.1 (on Windows 7 Ultimate x64) and the scrolling speed is fine. Is it any worse in 18?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I have the following values set in about:config, and scrolling is nice and fast:

mousewheel.acceleration.start = 3
mousewheel.acceleration.factor = 10

The latter I usually have set around 7. Either way, it gives a nice boost to scrolling speed and makes the browser feel more responsive.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Thanks for that.

Next problem: anyone else having issues with Flash? It's always either crashing or just plain failing to load.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

~Coxy posted:

Thanks for that.

Next problem: anyone else having issues with Flash? It's always either crashing or just plain failing to load.

My solution was to uninstall all versions of flash, and just use Chrome for youtube or other streaming video needs. Hoping that the browser extensions didn't suddendly break, keeping them up to date etc. and reading about all the security issues was too much of a hassle. Not worth the convenience to be able to use just one browser.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I just updated Firefox and now there is literally a half second of lag for any action I do. Tried restarting with addons disabled and that didn't fix it. Does anyone know what could cause this? If not I'll just switch to Chrome, this is unusable.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Mozi posted:

I just updated Firefox and now there is literally a half second of lag for any action I do. Tried restarting with addons disabled and that didn't fix it. Does anyone know what could cause this? If not I'll just switch to Chrome, this is unusable.

Read the OP - it says how to refresh your current profile or create a new one if need be. Something's definitely wrong with your installprofile.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I did a complete reset, which helped a lot, but Chrome is so snappy it's amazing. Page scrolling in Firefox is always catching up when I use the wheel mouse, but in Chrome there's no delay at all. Not something I noticed before but I don't think I'm going back now.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Try disabling smooth scrolling.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
I started a new profile since everything started to lag in 18, and it is back up to speed again. However the DOM inspector/editor is painfully slow. Is it slow for everyone else? Does 19 or 20 have faster development tools?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I don't suppose there's any magic trick to make Firefox stop being such a CPU/resource hogger when it's loading a new page? It makes my music player skip and scratch every time (any music player), in extreme cases even semi-freezing the mouse cursor. I can perform intensive tasks in Photoshop or Mathematica and nothing like that happens.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

NihilCredo posted:

I don't suppose there's any magic trick to make Firefox stop being such a CPU/resource hogger when it's loading a new page? It makes my music player skip and scratch every time (any music player), in extreme cases even semi-freezing the mouse cursor. I can perform intensive tasks in Photoshop or Mathematica and nothing like that happens.

Have you tried a clean install with a new profile, and add-ons installed one at a time to see if one of them is at fault? The desktop I'm posting on is like five years old and I'm getting nothing like that.

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

Adjust your player's buffering or buy better audio hardware.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Just noticed that Mozilla is suggesting installing Flash Player 11.6 Beta along with Aurora. Granted I haven't been to the Aurora download page for a while, but I would take it as a sign that it's strongly recommended. http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashruntimes/flashplayer/

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

NihilCredo posted:

In addition to what those guys said, make sure you're using the latest graphics drivers for your card. I had similar symptoms from a different piece of software that used 3D acceleration and upgrading my graphics drivers fixed it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I cleaned out my computer and this Firefox update is sucking up so much memory. I would rather turn it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Scalding Coffee posted:

I cleaned out my computer and this Firefox update is sucking up so much memory. I would rather turn it back.
You should have noticed REDUCTIONS in the amount of memory used. You may have a lovely plug-in or extension installed, or may need to make a new profile. Please see the instructions in the OP.