Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'd like to agree with that, but based on the volume of hatred/threats the girlfriend received when she started using some dairy in her blog, I'm not so sure about that. That said, the more militant ones don't really seem to be very good cooks, or even really enjoy food, they just like being righteously angry and bullying people online.

Yeah, this is really the crux of it: the militant folks don't even see it as "making life choices", they see it as an ongoing struggle to force The One True Way upon all others.

---

Vietnamese Five-Spice is the flavor of the month in my house, and the woman just made a huge pot of vegan stew with daikon, taters, carrots and chickpeas, flavored with Five-Spice and some gochujang for umami. It's fantastic, a really lovely winter dish.

What's gochujang? Dish recipe please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Its korean chili paste, has some smoked/dried notes with the heat

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The best way to troll militant vegans is to post bacon on tumblr and tag it as salad.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

pile of brown posted:

Its korean chili paste, has some smoked/dried notes with the heat

Thanks! How spicy? (I'm guessing pretty hot). Is it vegetarian or does it have something like dried shrimp?

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'd like to agree with that, but based on the volume of hatred/threats the girlfriend received when she started using some dairy in her blog, I'm not so sure about that. That said, the more militant ones don't really seem to be very good cooks, or even really enjoy food, they just like being righteously angry and bullying people online.

This really encapsulates an ex of mine. I'm vegetarian, she's vegan. I eat largely vegan anyways, but I occasionally have milk, or eggs, or honey. Besides that, it's stuff (i hope!) dino would approve of; no substitutes, lots of spices, and tons of fresh veggies and legumes. She ate things like "chik'n strips" and those vegan prepared foods that universally taste like poo poo (and probably do more environmental harm than animal protein in the first place?). But, you know, drinking milk is profiting off of rape culture, and if you drink milk you can't possibly be a feminist.

We...didn't work out.

^^^
gochujang is...I'm not sure how spicy it is? I like a lot of spice and I find it decent. It's vegetarian, although some rare samples of it may not be vegan (check to see if the ingredients mention honey; I had one once that I grabbed off a shelf without looking and it turned out it wasn't vegan).

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 13, 2013

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Vagueabond posted:

But, you know, drinking milk is profiting off of rape culture, and if you drink milk you can't possibly be a feminist.

Wait... How?

Does the bull rape the cow?

Are farmers rapists?

I don't get it... Seriously!

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Happy Hat posted:

Wait... How?

Does the bull rape the cow?

Are farmers rapists?

I don't get it... Seriously!

Milking is done by force, also that whole thing with killing the male calves which are born to keep the dairy herd cow-only.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It's also cause dairy cows are kept perpetually pregnant so that they lactate (rape pregnant). Dairy is a weird food group, when you think about how it actually all works.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I still remember the pre-whirled peas cheese thread which declared cheese the pinnacle of Western culinary arts in the OP.

I'm not inclined to disagree.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Vlex posted:

I still remember the pre-whirled peas cheese thread which declared cheese the pinnacle of Western culinary arts in the OP.

I'm pretty sure that was a direct quote from McGee (or maybe Ruhlman).

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Milking is done by force?

And uhm.. The bull rapes the cow? Also - insemination isn't really rape either, wouldn't rape imply non consensual sex? Can a cow consent? Isn't this an argument that leads to the republican one about gay marriage with people marrying dogs?

That rape argument is actually based on the same assumptions as the republican anti gay marriage one, which may have a certain merit then. I just never thought those two particular groups would use the same kind of argumentation...

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Militant vegans are dumb...

My gay friends should marry if they want to (hey they already are, and they're on the board of the local church too... They didn't rape no animals in the process... Stop creating cognitive dissonance)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
In America, we throw around the word "rape" all the time to describe things such as deforestation, military occupation and the Indianapolis Colts losing to the Baltimore Ravens.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Indianapolis Colts losing to the Baltimore Ravens.

Actually I just heard that described as "the most just and noble thing to happen in America in years".

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

What's gochujang?

"Korean Hot Pepper Paste", it's used pretty extensively in Korean cuisine. It is fermented, and contains rice flour, malt and fermented soy paste, so it tastes a bit like a thick, spicy, slightly-sweet miso.
Here is a link to Maangchi making some at home:

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/gochujang

therattle posted:

How spicy? (I'm guessing pretty hot).

It comes in different heat levels. The stuff I buy at Kam Man has no English on the label, but it does have a heat scale with arabic numerals. It's usually 1-4 or 1-5, higher being hotter. The 1's are fairly mild, and the 4's and 5's are pretty hot.

therattle posted:

Dish recipe please!

She is working on a full blog post; in the mean time you can go to her FaceBook page and give her some likes.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Melomeals/116026025122857

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

"Korean Hot Pepper Paste", it's used pretty extensively in Korean cuisine. It is fermented, and contains rice flour, malt and fermented soy paste, so it tastes a bit like a thick, spicy, slightly-sweet miso.

It comes in different heat levels. The stuff I buy at Kam Man has no English on the label, but it does have a heat scale with arabic numerals. It's usually 1-4 or 1-5, higher being hotter. The 1's are fairly mild, and the 4's and 5's are pretty hot.

She is working on a full blog post; in the mean time you can go to her FaceBook page and give her some likes.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Melomeals/116026025122857

Thanks man! Very thorough. That paste sounds delicious.

Marceline Abadeer
Oct 14, 2012

Squashy Nipples posted:

Mangchi is probably one of my favorite food bloggers, she's just too adorable. I really want to try making her eomukguk but the fish cakes at my local international grocery place are kind of lacking.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Vlex posted:

Wiki page.

It was a great thread.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Thanks for the food poisoning knowledge! I guess pinpointing what gave it to us is going to be impossible.

Very luckily, given that he mostly eats the same food as we do, my son didn't get it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Thanks for the food poisoning knowledge! I guess pinpointing what gave it to us is going to be impossible.

Very luckily, given that he mostly eats the same food as we do, my son didn't get it.

How are you guys feeling? Looking after a small child when you're ill is really grim.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Obvious solution is to duct tape the kid to the wall until you feel better.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Sociopastry posted:

Obvious solution is to duct tape the kid to the wall until you feel better.

You're really not a pro when it comes to handling babies, are you?

Velcro that poo poo!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

How are you guys feeling? Looking after a small child when you're ill is really grim.

His Grandma came down yesterday (from miles and miles away) to look after him, and after 24h of sleep I felt just about well enough to take him for a walk. My wife is still ill...

Like many things in our life, I got it over with in a rapid but powerful burst of activity accompanied by high velocity fluid explusion, while she needs to take her time and really explore the physical sensations involved.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Just to share, I've had salmonella once. It was not pleasant, it hit me about 6 hours after I'd eaten at a japanese place in the mall food court, and it was the only place I'd eaten out all week, and all my other poor freshman meals that week had been cup ramen, or anything that I jammed in the microwave and ate.

But yeah, salmonella. Stuff coming out of both ends every half hour for 4 days. I didn't eat for the first 3, aside from broth and water. Lost 15lbs.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Just to share, I've had salmonella once. It was not pleasant, it hit me about 6 hours after I'd eaten at a japanese place in the mall food court, and it was the only place I'd eaten out all week, and all my other poor freshman meals that week had been cup ramen, or anything that I jammed in the microwave and ate.

But yeah, salmonella. Stuff coming out of both ends every half hour for 4 days. I didn't eat for the first 3, aside from broth and water. Lost 15lbs.

Not doubting you, but how did you know it was salmonella specifically?

But yeah, that poo poo sucks. I got poisoned once in culinary school. The less said about that, the better. Ugh.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Wroughtirony posted:

Not doubting you, but how did you know it was salmonella specifically?

But yeah, that poo poo sucks. I got poisoned once in culinary school. The less said about that, the better. Ugh.

Went to doctor and they did a culture because he was concerned it could have been cholera due to all the mass amounts of poop and vomit.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Went to doctor and they did a culture because he was concerned it could have been cholera due to all the mass amounts of poop and vomit.

God that sucks. Did you ever find out if anyone else got sick who ate there? Because that sounds like a recipe for an outbreak. Also, is cholera really a problem in Austin?!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Wroughtirony posted:

God that sucks. Did you ever find out if anyone else got sick who ate there? Because that sounds like a recipe for an outbreak. Also, is cholera really a problem in Austin?!

My wife ate at the same place, but got chicken instead of shrimp, she was fine. afaik nobody else got sick.

Cholera's not really a problem, but all I had to mention was that I ate some seafood at a cheap stir fry place and he's all "Let's check you for cholera, to be safe"

Also, being on UT campus, the chances of getting an international disease are somewhat higher.

I've also heard horror stories of cheap chinese shrimp served as ceviche, so it was probably slightly undercooked and I just didn't really notice.

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
Ugh, food poisoning is the worst. I still can't eat mackerel thanks to some bad sushi. I knew as soon as I bit down that it was bad, so I spit it out, but I still got really wretchedly sick. :( Hope your wife is better soon, Scientastic, and I'm glad your kid didn't get it.

I'm now a writer for my college paper, and I'm the only writer for the culture section, haha. Just me and my editor. I'm really hoping I can get at least one article about food and cooking into each issue.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Lyssavirus posted:

Ugh, food poisoning is the worst. I still can't eat mackerel thanks to some bad sushi. I knew as soon as I bit down that it was bad, so I spit it out, but I still got really wretchedly sick. :( Hope your wife is better soon, Scientastic, and I'm glad your kid didn't get it.

I'm now a writer for my college paper, and I'm the only writer for the culture section, haha. Just me and my editor. I'm really hoping I can get at least one article about food and cooking into each issue.

You should provide a simple nutritious recipe that can be made in a dorm in each issue.

E: In addition to an article about food in general

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
The worst food poisoning I ever had was in high school while I was spending the night at my good friend's house. Strangely enough, I can't recall actually eating the undercooked chicken that caused it, but I know it was undercooked chicken because I witnessed it coming out the next morning.

Anyway, the thing that really sticks with me is that the morning after I ate that undercooked chicken, I could kind of feel that something wasn't right but I wasn't actually sick yet. My good friend's Dad went out and got warm Krispy Kreme doughnuts for breakfast, and I took one which ended up being lemon filled. I'm not a huge fan of lemon filled doughnuts anyway, but about 10 minutes after I finished that doughnut poo poo started hitting the fan and I was reacquainted with it and everything else that had been in my digestive tract over the course of the past 48 hours.

To this day, just the thought of a warm Krispy Kreme doughnut makes me nauseous. And God, don't even talk about lemon-filled ones.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Marceline Abadeer posted:

Mangchi is probably one of my favorite food bloggers, she's just too adorable. I really want to try making her eomukguk but the fish cakes at my local international grocery place are kind of lacking.

Totally adorable! She's the one who turned me on to gochujang. You know how some of the cooks on Food network cook with this insane intensity? She is the opposite of that. :swoon:

Full post for the stew is up:

MeloMeals: Fusion Chinese Korean Daikon and Carrot Stew

Not food poisoning, but I just got put on a second course of anti-biotics, and my guts are totally malfunctioning. Thankfully it's only coming out one end, but it's like a loving geyser. Hopefully some of my homemade live-culture kraut will help get the bugs back in order.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

e: Way too vent-y.

Eat This Glob fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 16, 2013

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So in an attempt to get myself back to the Adonis-like perfection I had in my younger days I began the onerous task of actually counting my calories. And while I expected the beer and liquor to be adding up to a whole lot of red on my little app, what is really the most shocking is the amount of calories I take in in the form of tortillas. I suppose I never really thought about it, but there it is. Not that I'm going to stop eating them, of course, but maybe I'll have one or two less with supper. So join me, my friends, in a lament for tortillas and how much I will miss them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq2ums8lVYI

Okay, now I'll go back to sheep raising and jai alai and racecars. Bueno noche.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
alright, which one you goons made this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO8sW60uOpk

:gonk:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Holy gently caress, tortillas are the big outlier in my weight gain. Can I eat corn tortillas? :smithicide:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Eat This Glob posted:

e: Way too vent-y.

You or Squashy?

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Holy gently caress, tortillas are the big outlier in my weight gain. Can I eat corn tortillas? :smithicide:

Yeah, they have like less than half the amount of calories that you'd get out of a flour tortilla of the same size. If you must have flour tortillas, get Buena Vida low carb whole wheat tortillas; they still taste like regular tortillas but have way less calories.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I just got my official PhD award! Time to change my title on all my bank cards so I get better service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Congratulations! You are a Real Scientist now!