Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

The music was great, the visuals were awesome, and the battle system really isn't as bad as many make it out to be. The story was a bit of a mess, though...

My god, it's proto-FF13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

My god, it's proto-FF13.

Don't be ridiculous. That would mean the important plot is delivered entirely in random lengthy dialogues near the end of the... oh my god.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Don't be ridiculous. That would mean the important plot is delivered entirely in random lengthy dialogues near the end of the... oh my god.

But it didn't retcon the gently caress out of its original game did--Oh godfuckingdammit.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

S-Alpha posted:

But it didn't retcon the gently caress out of its original game did--Oh godfuckingdammit.

FF13-2 didn't retcon half as much as Chrono Cross did to Trigger, probably was better for it.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 14, 2013

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Azure_Horizon posted:

FF13-2 didn't retcon half as much as Chrono Cross did to Trigger, probably was better for it.

How much retconning was there? Just datalogs?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Schwartzcough posted:

CC did a lot of good things- visible enemies on the battlefield (which was still rare, years after Chrono Trigger), it got rid of MP while keeping magic and physicals different and preventing you from just spamming your strongest attacks endlessly, it had automatic healing after battle, and the "horrible level caps" meant there was no point in grinding. Grinding is dumb and terrible and it's slowed RPGs down forever. The CC system allowed them to arrange battles based on your ungrindable levels, keeping things interesting.
You're right, grinding does get tedious as poo poo. However, grinding and level caps aren't dichotomous systems because the gameplay of most RPGs, by nature, sees you fighting monsters whether you're leveling up or not. The problem with CC, though, was that its encounter:mini-level ratio was horribly weighted in favor of the encounter side. Once you reached your cap, there were still encounters that were very difficult to avoid so you'd end up fighting them anyway, and very few monsters really gave anything worthwhile--that is to say contextually-relevant crafting components (i.e., Bronze is really hard to come by until it's way outdated as a material)--or even stuff as simple as consumables or interesting spells. Most monsters handed out a bunch of outdated or low-level crafting stuff, sure, but you got so much of it that after a certain point, you just stopped caring.

Now you might argue, "well, if they just handed out the good poo poo, then it would stop being the proverbial good poo poo," but the thing is, in the context of CC, it would be. If you got an excess of relevant materials, you'd be able to outfit your out-party members, which would encourage experimentation and mixing up your party within the game's own rules. The way it's set up, though, you're lucky if you get enough materials to upgrade even just Serge's weapon and maybe one other character. This isn't even a problem with loot tables or anything; that "arranged battles based on your ungrindable levels" thing? The only reason you have a crafting bottleneck is because, per area, you'll get maybe one or two mobs that can have enemies in them what actually drop upgrade materials, and they don't respawn.

The problem with level caps--especially in pre-populated encounter games like CC or FF13--is that you hit them anyway, but chances are you'll still have to fight monsters. There was no risk in either game, of course, since you were fully healed after every fight, but the fact remains that both psychologically and system-wise, there was almost no payout to fighting anything else even if you were ultimately forced to (which you often are). The part where you get healed after every encounter means no risk, either, so you're still treadmilling either way. Level caps versus grinding isn't a question of time investment; it's a question of keeping unavoidable/difficult-to-dodge encounters relevant, which the removal of level caps does. With level caps, you need to provide some other carrot (though I absolutely hate MMOs, one has to admit that WoW apparently does this one very well). Chrono Cross had a... bit of a rabbit infestation, let's say.

Azure_Horizon posted:

The fact that Chrono Trigger and Radical Dreamers were two completely separate series probably had something to do with that :v:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 14, 2013

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

Honestly Final Fantasy VII's battle theme is the best in the series and one of the best tracks in the entire series. I know it's FF7 but gently caress you that song loving owns :colbert:

FFVII is a good game with a marvelous soundtrack. Most VII haters are just mad because the game was super popular. Maybe the hype is a bit undeserved as there are plenty of RPGs better than it but that's still no reason to not give the game its due.

I've grown a lot in the 10 years I've been on the internet. Back in the day I whined about how underrated IX was and how overrated VII was. Nowadays, if anything, the reverse is true among the hardcore fans online. It gets so tiresome hearing IX praised to death sometimes...

Although I will admit, when I was reflecting on what parts of FFIX I absolutely didn't like, it took me a few minutes to come up with something. It took only seconds to recollect parts I didn't enjoy from IV, VII, X and XII. But with IX, the only area I loathed was Fossil Roo or whatever it was you used to get from the Mist Continent to the Outer Continent.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

How much retconning was there? Just datalogs?

Only a slight amount; a lot of the imagery that suggests the beginning of FF13-2 is embedded in 13's final dungeon, but the Datalogs also hint to the ending of 13 and its sequel as well.

The only thing they kinda retconned was Lightning's survival. But it sort of makes sense since she was the "leader", and with Vanille/Fang gone, Etro needed someone to help her fix her own mistakes along with the mistakes that Barthandelus/Orphan made by opening her gate.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 14, 2013

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The other major problem Chrono Cross had with its lovely leveling system is that it was really easy to screw yourself out of gaining stat boosts, and it made characters not in your active party practically unusable after a while, which is a terrible idea when you have over 40 characters in the game.

The way it worked is you gained a "level" when you gained a star, and you'd get some stat boosts. Random battles after that would give you small HP increases until you finally gained boosts to other stats, at which point you'd hit the "cap" and would not gain any more stat boosts until the next star.

One of the problems with this is (and the game doesn't tell you this) is that one, if a character is KO'd when you gain a star, they will never gain stat boosts until the next star. So if you run out of Revives then gently caress you, no levels for you. Two, while inactive party members gained boosts from the star level, they don't gain the stat boosts you get from other battles. This is made more annoying by the fact that if you gain a star and don't fight enough battles before you get your next star, all the potential stat boosts you could have gotten are lost forever. The game loves to screw you over by sometimes having two star battles in a row, causing you to lose stat boost opportunities you can't get back. What this means is, since there's tons of characters in the game (and only two party slots before your second playthrough) you're forced to pick a handful of characters to use and forget the rest, because it would take too many battles to make all your characters decent in combat. This kind of defeats the purpose of having a lot of playable characters when they permanently lose chances to increase their stats.

Seriously, Chrono Cross has the second-worst method of "leveling" next to FF2.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And then it Killed nearly every character you loved in Trigger because gently caress you.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Twelve by Pies posted:

The other major problem Chrono Cross had with its lovely leveling system is that it was really easy to screw yourself out of gaining stat boosts, and it made characters not in your active party practically unusable after a while, which is a terrible idea when you have over 40 characters in the game.

The way it worked is you gained a "level" when you gained a star, and you'd get some stat boosts. Random battles after that would give you small HP increases until you finally gained boosts to other stats, at which point you'd hit the "cap" and would not gain any more stat boosts until the next star.

One of the problems with this is (and the game doesn't tell you this) is that one, if a character is KO'd when you gain a star, they will never gain stat boosts until the next star. So if you run out of Revives then gently caress you, no levels for you. Two, while inactive party members gained boosts from the star level, they don't gain the stat boosts you get from other battles. This is made more annoying by the fact that if you gain a star and don't fight enough battles before you get your next star, all the potential stat boosts you could have gotten are lost forever. The game loves to screw you over by sometimes having two star battles in a row, causing you to lose stat boost opportunities you can't get back. What this means is, since there's tons of characters in the game (and only two party slots before your second playthrough) you're forced to pick a handful of characters to use and forget the rest, because it would take too many battles to make all your characters decent in combat. This kind of defeats the purpose of having a lot of playable characters when they permanently lose chances to increase their stats.

Seriously, Chrono Cross has the second-worst method of "leveling" next to FF2.

Actually, I think it works on some sort of averaging system. If you use a character all the time, eventually they'll get virtually no "mini level-ups" from random battles at all- maybe 1 HP, total. Even boss fights will hardly give them anything. Those characters are already at or above their average. Meanwhile, if you drag a character out that you hardly ever use, every battle will give you points in pretty much every stat, and I think they get more on average from boss fights as well. Think of the mini-bonuses from random battles as advances on their next level-up; it's not really putting them ahead, they're just getting stats early. In the long run your regulars might end up slightly ahead than if you never used them, but characters should never become "unusable."

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its not even close to level of bad that is FF2's leveling system. The stat gains really are negligible and the game is easy enough where you can just not worry about leveling at all and never fall behind.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

And then it Killed nearly every character you loved in Trigger because gently caress you.

I also like how outside of one character who bears the same name as him, Frog wasn't mentioned at all. Not even a picture at the orphanage. Way to pretend my favorite character didn't exist, Square.

Schwartzcough posted:

Actually, I think it works on some sort of averaging system.

According to GameFAQs, which is pretty much the only place to find info, it doesn't.

quote:

When you gain a star level, all 43 characters gain stats regardless of whether they are in your active party, recruited but inactive, not yet recruited, never recruited, recruited but not in your roster due to game events or NG+ status, etc., etc.

There is one, and only one, exception: if a character is in your active party and is DEAD when the battle ends, they miss out on the stat gain and CANNOT "make it up" later.

At each star level there is a given "magic" counter number. I believe this number must be between 1 and 7, but am not sure -- I have seen guides say it can take up to 8, 10, or even 12 battles, though I've never observed it that high personally. Anyway, when a given PC's mini-level counter reaches this magic number, he gains a "mini-level." Mini-levels typically involve multiple stat gains, though they sometimes result in one, or even zero gains.

When the PC's counter reaches any other number, he may receive minor gains.

When you gain another star level, any unused mini-levels (and minor gains) are wiped away.

Characters who are not in your active party, will never gain mini-levels or minor gains. This includes characters you haven't been able to recruit yet!

So yeah, KO'd characters are permanently screwed out of minor gains and mini-levels, which is total bullshit. Likewise, any character you don't use between star levels will not get minor gains.

I think what you're thinking is that every character has a stat cap, and if you bring in a character you haven't used in a while, when you get a mini-level, their stat boosts will be larger than they normally would. Actually I'll just quote it:

quote:

The amount each stat goes up is not fixed in advance. (Well, actually, it's fixed a bit in advance as you can discover with an emulator, but it isn't fixed at the start of the game.) Instead, it depends on four things:

1) The character's current stat
2) The character's cap for that stat, at the level he is reaching
3) A random element
4) The "stat gain power" for that level (this is fixed and is the same in all CC games)

What this means: whenever you gain a star level (or get a mini-level), each of your stats may stay the same, it may go up one point, or it may go up more than one point. The chance it goes up is higher, the further you are below the current cap for that stat. The maximum number of points it can go up is also higher, the further you are far below the current cap.

So if you bring in a character you haven't used in a while, they're more likely to get more minor gains, and their minor gains will be higher than normal, because their current stat will be further below their current cap.

What it means is like, if you'd used Poshul from the very start of the game, when you get 20 stars, if you got all her mini-levels and minor gains, she'd maybe have a cap of 35 strength, but if you got Poshul and didn't use her much, she may only have like 28 or so of that potential 35 because she missed out on a bunch of mini-levels/minor gains. So if you gained another star and the cap became 37 and her current strength 30, and you kept using Poshul and got her mini-levels, she'd be more likely to get an increase to strength than normal, and it might be an increase of three or four points, becuase she'd be 7 points below the current cap.

But the point is, if you didn't actively use her in combat, her stats would still be lower than they would be if you'd actively used her, and it would take her a while to get up to snuff with the rest of the party. I'm actually having that problem right now with Leena, she's getting annihilated by Polly because I didn't use her in Viper Manor, so she missed out on a couple of mini-levels and so her stats are way lower than my other party members (I bought it on PSN recently and I've been playing it a bit).

Yeah isn't this much better than just having experience points and regular levels? :v:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah isn't this much better than just having experience points and regular levels? :v:

You mean like most RPGs where characters not in the party get half or no experience? So instead of the characters you never use having 4 less points of strength, they're level 10 when everyone else is level 40? Not sure that's much better.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
The disparity between character levels gained from inactive and active party members in CC is so minor it might as well not even be a problem. Especially because if you use them for five minutes they'll have a larger chance of getting those minor stat boosts you missed.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I also like how outside of one character who bears the same name as him, Frog wasn't mentioned at all. Not even a picture at the orphanage. Way to pretend my favorite character didn't exist, Square.

Seems you're forgetting something, not that I blame you of course. (image spoiler below)

Though that character probably got off the best simply by not being explicitly mentioned in the game at all, considering what they end up doing with the rest of the original cast.

Also, I think they've been holding off on Versus so they can release it on 13/13/13.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

CC stat gain stuff

GameFAQs actually does have mathematical info - you just have to hunt for it on the boards because getting a new and informative FAQ on the game accepted is :fuckoff: because of all the bloat of pointless little mini-FAQs that were added when the game was still new.

Anyway, have a forum topic by a guy who actually looked into the game code:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/196917-chrono-cross/55191996

Relevant part with stat gains (the crossed out part was corrected later in the topic):

quote:

Each time you get a new star, the stat gain from the last star is applied
and the stat gain for the next star is calculated (which means that
resetting/reloading will only change the next star's bonus, which you can't
see)
MaxStat refers to the character's "value at 99 Stars" as the Ultimania
puts it and Stat refers to the current value.

StatMod = (MaxStat - Stat) * 1000
RndMod = [ rnd{1, 999} * StatMod / 32 ] * 2
RndMod = [ rnd{1, 999} * StatMod / (100 - PrevStarLevel) ] * 2

If ((RndMod MOD 1000000) >= 499999) {
RndMod = RndMod + 1000000
}

StatIncrement = [ RndMod / 1000000 ]

If (Stat == HP) {
StatIncrement = StatIncrement + 2
}

I'm not sure yet how mini-level ups work.

The upshot of this is that you get higher odds of stat growth with higher max, higher level, and lower stat. Which in turn means you'll converge on your max stats by the max star level, and if you ever fall behind for whatever reason (missing mini-level ups, being dead for a boss, etc.), you'll still gradually catch up over time. You probably won't get quite to the max depending on RNG generosity, but you'll be very close.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Twelve by Pies posted:

This kind of defeats the purpose of having a lot of playable characters when they permanently lose chances to increase their stats.

It's a choice for the player which characters to use. You're not expected or intended to use them all.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's a choice for Square how many characters to have available. They're not expected or intended to have 30 characters.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The main problem is that a good number of those characters don't get any real development after recruiting them. Instead you end up with a lot of weird-looking fuckers who just sit on the bench and do nothing, as you'll just end up using important and awesome characters over the poor art kid and the mushroom guy.

At least games like Fire Emblem manage to continue developing your hundreds of characters, even if only through support conversations. CC really didn't need half its cast and probably would've been a better game if they just cut that half. That and if they didn't just plot dump everything at the end.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

I think of it as basically an ability to customize your active team, independent of plot, much like a western RPG in which you would make your own characters. They'll say the same things (filtered through the--admittedly grating--accent maker) and the main story events are the same regardless of who is in your party, but if you want to have a little blue spaceman, a sentient flower, and a baby dragon, you can.

It's a design decision I wouldn't have made, but it's not as awful as you guys are making it out to be, and I think CC would be well-regarded in its own right if no one had been frothing at the mouth for CT2.

Dross fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 14, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The problem is that it doesn't need to be an either/or situation. CC hits the worst of both.

The CC characters are distinctive enough to be 'characters' but not developed enough to be characters. It doesn't hit pure "create your own character/customize your own character" levels but doesn't hit "I really like (x) character because of their personality" either. You can even pull that off with a large cast. Suikoden has 108 characters and manages to give a huge bulk of them something to work with, even if it's just a silly minigame in your castle or a weird obscure sidequest.

The cast list was just a bad idea. The rest of CC's design decisions I can debate but they really had eyes bigger than their stomachs when it came to that. Doubly so with a 3-person party where it takes forever to get the ability to switch your leader out and there's almost nothing in the way of cross-character 'syncro' attacks.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
^ Yeah, it always bugged me that because you didn't have a base or anywhere to house them, everyone just kinda hanged out wherever they came from. Pair that with the fact that your party is split between worlds and how you almost never need to backtrack, not only are they uninteresting but you'll probably never see them again unless you go out of your way to do so. And if you do, fifty-fifty chance they won't recognize you at all.

Dross posted:

It's a design decision I wouldn't have made, but it's not as awful as you guys are making it out to be, and I think CC would be well-regarded in its own right if no one had been frothing at the mouth for CT2.
Maybe if they'd called it "Radical Dreamers" and left out all the Chrono stuff, but by shoehorning CT in for a cash grab, they took whatever batshit they had originally and tripled it. The problem wasn't that people were expecting a Chrono sequel, but that it was forced to be one.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 14, 2013

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's simply a bizarre design decision, given how Chrono Trigger felt like the big reason average party size in JRPGs went down a bit. Suikoden games usually have about as many playable characters, but they also give you a six-person party in every game other than Suikoden 4. Forcing you to pick between a couple possible recruits in some spots was a neat idea and adds even more of a hook to NG+ than just alternate endings, but if there were half as many recruits overall those choices would've been a lot more meaningful. Who gives a poo poo whether I pick Korcha or Macha? It's not like I'm ever going to use either of them when the roster's this big and I can only take three people.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

I wouldn't have missed anything if the game's roster had just been Serge/Lynx, Kid, Nikki, Fargo, Karsh, Zappa, Radius, and Harle. Most everyone else is superfluous as far as the main story arc and would have served just fine as NPCs.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mega64 posted:

Also, I think they've been holding off on Versus so they can release it on 13/13/13.

Ugh, lousy Smarch release dates. :argh:

Speaking of release dates, any word on Kingdom Hearts 3? Presumably, after they get that spat out, they might actually get around to doing something with Versus.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

W.T. Fits posted:

Speaking of release dates, any word on Kingdom Hearts 3? Presumably, after they get that spat out, they might actually get around to doing something with Versus.

Last I heard, and I don't recall where from, the idea was that they would finish Versus and then move on to KH3. Take that with a grain of salt though.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dross posted:

I wouldn't have missed anything if the game's roster had just been Serge/Lynx, Kid, Nikki, Fargo, Karsh, Zappa, Radius, and Harle. Most everyone else is superfluous as far as the main story arc and would have served just fine as NPCs.

Keep Fargo and Zappa as NPCs and throw in Guile/Magus (making this a plot point) and Glenn+Riddel! Think that'd cover it pretty well. Obviously reconstruct the story from the ground up to make it work better in the context of a smaller roster, develop those characters more, etc.

Baku fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 14, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dross posted:

I'm sorry, it's just not Chrono Cross without ZOAH.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Keep Fargo and Zappa as NPCs

Can't. You have to introduce them to their alternate selves to advance the plot.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

The White Dragon posted:

The fact that Chrono Trigger and Radical Dreamers were two completely separate series probably had something to do with that :v:

The White Dragon posted:

Maybe if they'd called it "Radical Dreamers" and left out all the Chrono stuff, but by shoehorning CT in for a cash grab, they took whatever batshit they had originally and tripled it. The problem wasn't that people were expecting a Chrono sequel, but that it was forced to be one.

You must not have played Radical Dreamers, or read much of anything about it. It was a sequel to CT. All CC did was take the existing connections to CT and expand them further, while fleshing out a story of a larger scale to fit a full size RPG.

Also I'm curious about what yall consider retcons on CT's story that CC made?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I think many people's biggest beef with CC being a sequel is the characters everyone bonded with in CT ending up being killed off a few years later, with the first town you start your adventure in CT being destroyed by an army from a country that was literally just another town. Cross's extensions of the CT universe conflict directly with the rather upbeat tone of the original game, which is jarring to those who loved the original.

Part of the appeal of a Trigger sequel is to have more lighthearted time traveling adventures with the same or a similar cast of goofy-yet-lovable characters simply trying to save the world. Instead, we have a bloated and mostly-dull cast with a pretty complex and at times poorly-told story. Many loved Trigger because the plot was simple, the characters were interesting, the pacing was quick, and combat was engaging. The only thing Cross really carried over from Trigger was a fantastic presentation. All these changes don't make Cross bad, of course, but it wasn't the sequel most CT fans were wanting, and the links between the two games can really mess with the fond memories people have of Trigger, thus more reason for fans to hate it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

You mean like most RPGs where characters not in the party get half or no experience? So instead of the characters you never use having 4 less points of strength, they're level 10 when everyone else is level 40? Not sure that's much better.

Eh, I meant as far as being able to understand how you gain stats. "You went up a level, numbers went up" is a bit easier to understand than "Okay so you get a star and you get stat boosts and then mini-levels and minor gains."

But, again, it's nowhere near as bad as Final Fantasy II's "Beat up your own party to get stats." Especially since you can't "overlevel" in CC and make your characters too strong for the final dungeon causing your stats to decrease.

It's not completely terrible, it's just needlessly complicated and really annoying that you can cause characters to be too weak because they missed out on stat boosts. I realize what you're saying about other games with characters who get half/no experience if they're not in the active party, but on the other hand most other RPGs don't have as many characters so it's not that big of a deal. Plus, games like that allow you to easily gain levels quickly if someone has fallen behind, because their experience to next level will be significantly lower, causing them to gain levels quicker. Because of CC's "mini-levels" and hard caps, and permanent losses to stat gain opportunities, it's much harder to get inactive characters out of their slump.

It's like if a Final Fantasy game went "Oh you died at a boss battle? Well you can't gain any more levels until you beat the next boss." That's not fun, it's stupid.

Mega64 posted:

CC really didn't need half its cast and probably would've been a better game if they just cut that half. That and if they didn't just plot dump everything at the end.

Masato Kato said once that they'd originally planned for over sixty playable characters in CC so they actually did cut their cast almost in half.

nene. posted:

Porre becoming a military superpower for one. Porre was the small town with the greedy mayor that stole the Sun Stone, so you had to go back in time to 600 AD and give the jerky to his ancestor so he became a nice guy and would give it back. Pretty much anybody who played CT went "Wait what?" at this, and they had to retcon an explanation for it in the bonus dungeon in the DS version.

There's also the problem of Masamune becoming a "legendary sword of evil" with an unsatisfying explanation. I know that isn't exactly a retcon, but it still seems weird to change that.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

nene. posted:

You must not have played Radical Dreamers, or read much of anything about it. It was a sequel to CT. All CC did was take the existing connections to CT and expand them further, while fleshing out a story of a larger scale to fit a full size RPG.

I never understood the issues concerning 'retcons' or inconsistency when dealing with a game series that heavily involves time travel, alternate realities, and the means to change the future. Any issues people have could just be attributed to the timeline in which x happened but y didn't or whatever.

That being said, I am a huge fan and love both games. I honestly prefer Cross over Trigger for various reasons. (Music, I love the battle system, setting, and I like the story)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Pretty much what Mega64 said. It basically retroactively punished the player for daring to not accept the planet's fate at the "hands" of Lavos in CT and then proceeded to, as previously stated, Murder everyone in the CT Cast and basically pull off the Ultima 9 Shamino scam on the one remaining plot thread of CT: The fate of Schala.

Also, Nobuteru Yuki is a good artist, his nose problem aisde, bit his is not the sort of art style I imagine the CT world to have.

It all comes off like Cross's a purely Square game where Trigger was a cross-company project between Square and Enix.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 14, 2013

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ConanThe3rd posted:

It basically retroactively punished the player for daring to not accept the planet's fate at the "hands" of Lavos in CT

I don't understand complaints about this, other than feeling upset that the original party got killed or something. It's a sequel to a game about time travel, about the unexpected consequences of time travel. It's a much more interesting way to go than another new adventure with a random villain and the same characters, or making a FF style sequel where it's a sequel only in terms of name.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
The only 'unexpected consequences' open at the end of CT was the possibility that Robo would cease to exist, which doesn't happen. The game lets you linger with the ancillary cast and in the main endings shows everyone zipping around time with no big Nazi empire or whatever stomping around.
Chrono Cross is dumb.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

nene. posted:

I dunno what game you played, RD was about turning into cats and "rap battling" a giant robot octopus :colbert:

quote:

Like has been said, the whole "Porre turning into a military superpower and destroying everything" is both poorly-explained and badly-retconned. CT didn't need a sequel, and even Schala's hanging plot thread was sufficiently tied up showing Magus doing what was probably spending the rest of his life looking for her. The problem with picking at the bow that ties up a tight ending is that you often have to break everything that made said ending good. Which CC did.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The first time I played Chrono Trigger, it was awesome as hell exploring the world, hanging out in peaceful Guardia and Porre, chilling out at the Millenial Fair and meeting all sorts of weird and wonderful characters. I grew attached to the place, as nothing horrible ever happens there other than the whole "Chancellor framing the king to avenge his ancestor" thing that's optional anyway. 1000 AD Guardia is a sort of safe place, where you can play games and chill with your hundreds of cats. Meanwhile, you build a pretty awesome party full of endearing characters, like the brainiac with a fondness for robots, or the headstrong princess determined to fix the world, or the spiky-haired silent protagonist who's willing to sacrifice himself for his friends. In the end, I really bonded with this motley crew and grew to love all the various wonderful areas in the game.

My issues with Chrono Cross isn't how it undid all that, but rather that it did it so flippantly. All this stuff is never really treated as important compared to the Frozen Flame or Lynx stuff, and the only real link between the games that's actually important to the plot is Kid being Lucca's adopted daughter. I mean, CC's take on being a sequel could actually work if it didn't feel like they undid everything in CT as a way to make CC look better. Give it more of a focus in the story rather than being background details used to justify having this game in the same universe as CT. Otherwise, it's kinda unnecessary and feels shoehorned in.

Chrono Cross is a decent-if-flawed game, but it's a pretty disappointing sequel simply because it feels like the developers didn't really give a poo poo about the game it's a sequel for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I don't understand complaints about this, other than feeling upset that the original party got killed or something. It's a sequel to a game about time travel, about the unexpected consequences of time travel. It's a much more interesting way to go than another new adventure with a random villain and the same characters, or making a FF style sequel where it's a sequel only in terms of name.

Personally, I think the concept of Chrono Trigger's story is kind of neat. Saving the future had unexpected consequences. That's fine with me. So is the idea of a futuristic lab is hurled back in time, has to blow up dinosaur men, and make sure their offspring don't change the future by subtly controlling them to stay away from the mainland. That in and of itself was fine. I also like the idea of crossing worlds and having alternate "timelines" rather than traveling through time itself.

The major problems come in unceremoniously killing off all the main characters of the previous game. These are people who fought a giant loving monster that destroyed the entire world, the thought that they'd be killed off by some random military is ridiculous. Likewise, turning the benign town of Porre into a world-conquering superpower is dumb. If they'd changed those things, I think the game may have been better received. They wouldn't even have to let the Trigger characters join the party, just have them as important NPCs.

Also, they could have had the Einlanzer be the legendary sword of evil and have the Masamune be the super awesome sword of good, and that would have been much better to me, fitting in with the role the Masamune played in Trigger. It really wouldn't change anything in the story to reverse their roles, plus the graveside scene in Termina with Glenn/Riddel would have been much cooler for the Trigger player if it had gone "We put the legendary holy sword Masamune at his grave."