Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBlackPharaoh
May 8, 2007

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

My Turian Ghost is 6/6/6/6/6, should I promote or do they not really care?

Also, is Batarian Soldier just really good? I regularly top score boards on Gold with just a Wraith.

Others in this thread have said bioware bans based on info from players, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to promote.

Batsol is good if you aren't terrible and can point a gun. The staggerific blades don't hurt either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Also, is Batarian Soldier just really good?

yes. Inferno grenades, Ballistic Blades, and Blade Armor are all Good Powers. I zero blade armor but it's 100% legit to put 6 into it.

Absolutely great class with a shotgun.

Personally I'm just glad I have the Huntress infiltrator. Cloaked DC just does it for me. I'm going to kite that banshee/whatever anyway, I may as well do hilarious amounts of damage to it while I run around a corner.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Rick posted:

I really like the sticky grenades but I got tired of trying to convince people here it was good a long time ago. Maybe they'll listen to you :shobon:
Also the class with them has tactical cloak and sabotage, both of which buff the gently caress out of its (already respectable) damage. QFI is massively underrated. Cloak --> Sabotage --> Sticky Grenade --> Talon in the face brings down big targets really quickly.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Also, is Batarian Soldier just really good? I regularly top score boards on Gold with just a Wraith.
Ayup. He suffers on larger maps like giant but you've just got to get used to the map layouts and learn how to get close without covering open ground.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Cool, Valiant III.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

So I finally picked up ME3 from the Amazon xmas sale, and poked my head into multiplayer last night and this morning.

What is the best way to start gearing up? I was unimpressed with the 5k and 20k packs, so I saved up for a 99k and got a Widow, which is pretty hilarious as long as you're near an ammo refill, and used that and a Human Adept to get a second one, which had a Collector Rifle.

I'm assuming Silver/Gold/Platinum matches give way more credits, but all I have unlocked so far are the humans and a turian soldier, and the only time I'm able to not be at the bottom of the scoreboard is when I'm really in the zone with the Widow.

Teach me the way, goons.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Thanks to Lynx, Gangringo and Ziffles I now have a Valiant IV. :sicknasty:

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
I wasn't aware that the skill point bug was bannable, since I didn't know there was even a way to do it on purpose. I've had my Volus Adept at 6/6/6/6/6/5 for a while now, haven't really played him a ton since. I have had the bug happen on either my Turian Soldier or Sentinel most of the time.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Relentless posted:

So I finally picked up ME3 from the Amazon xmas sale, and poked my head into multiplayer last night and this morning.

What is the best way to start gearing up? I was unimpressed with the 5k and 20k packs, so I saved up for a 99k and got a Widow, which is pretty hilarious as long as you're near an ammo refill, and used that and a Human Adept to get a second one, which had a Collector Rifle.

I'm assuming Silver/Gold/Platinum matches give way more credits, but all I have unlocked so far are the humans and a turian soldier, and the only time I'm able to not be at the bottom of the scoreboard is when I'm really in the zone with the Widow.

Teach me the way, goons.

I started that way, as well, but I started following the advice of the thread earlier this week and filling up on Recruit and Veteran packs, and it makes a big difference. Use the Turian Soldier as an example; you can get those in the 5K packs, but you picked one up in the 99K packs instead. Max out your starting weapons by buying 5K packs and you're not going to waste a 99K pack picking up an upgrade for a starting weapon. And with your upgraded weapons, you'll be able to run Silver and Gold which vastly increases your credits per mission.

Also, learn to play with the power-heavy classes (Engineers, Adepts) and you won't be limited by the lack of high-end equipment. I'm routinely one or two on the board on Silver running those two classes with a Predator pistol. I'd suggest not using the Widow with an Adept, as it kills your power refresh rate. When I run Adept, I spam Warp and Shockwave and live off of the biotic explosions. Get teamed with a vanguard, and you can set warp and watch them blow things down with a charge.

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

The Widow isn't really worth using until you have it at a reasonable level. Spend all of your credits on the cheapest pack until you have the basic weapons maxed to take them out of the pool when you buy more expensive packs. Next, there's two schools of thought. Some will tell you to buy Veteran packs, but I say just skip them and go for the Premium (60K) packs.

If you want to snipe, a Mantis X is the best early weapon for it. But early on, you'll want to lean on your powers more than weapons because once you reach level 20, everyone's powers are equal (barring gear boosts). It shouldn't take you too long to get a high level character, but it'll take you weeks (months?) to get good level weapons.

Whenever you're not sure what to play, just post your manifest here and we'll suggest what you can do.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
The more classes I unlock the more I wish there was a way to select one at random before the start of the match. I guess I could set something like that up for myself, in any case.

On another note what's the general consensus here on promoting a class? I have infiltrator and soldier at 20 and kind of don't want to play them as much since they're maxed out. Despite that, promoting seems like more trouble than it's worth. How big a deal, truly, are those dang N7 points?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Add yourself to the list, I still go through and add people every so often.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

I am sorry to anyone who invites me to games that I do not respond to (Deiterbomber), even though I've set it to make noise when people message or invite me, Origin constantly resets that setting for whatever reason. I have been the last to criticize Origin, but that drat setting annoys the absolute poo poo out of me.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Added the two names I saw on the last page. My origin name is CuddlyZombie

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I'd take some critiques on not-poo poo things to play.

http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/home/overview/?name=Coolguye&platform=pc

I should warn everyone that I haven't played the single player at all yet so I have a tendency to promote out, though I do make a point of keeping at least one class at level 20. I've mostly been messing around with my Tempest, Phaeston, and Arc Pistol. I just got the Valiant I today and that's kind of cool, though its competition is the Mantis X which, despite people calling it 'okay' in here, I have found to be wholly inadequate.

I've mostly been buying Veteran packs since I maxed out my common weapons. I still pick up a common item every now and then (though I'm almost done with weapon mods so that should hopefully end soon). As far as my activity, I've mostly been playing Silver or barging in on a Gold match and sort of coasting while some douchenozzle with a Reegar X and Black Widow X solos everything, because honestly gently caress this goddamn game's stratification of people. I really like the gameplay and everything, but I'm starting to keep my tablet next to me so I can just do something else when someone with kill everything weapons shows up. It's no longer worth the effort to play at that point.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 13, 2013

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Speaking as one of those douchenozzles, quit crying and enjoy your free credits :qq:

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Byers2142 posted:

I started that way, as well, but I started following the advice of the thread earlier this week and filling up on Recruit and Veteran packs, and it makes a big difference. Use the Turian Soldier as an example; you can get those in the 5K packs, but you picked one up in the 99K packs instead. Max out your starting weapons by buying 5K packs and you're not going to waste a 99K pack picking up an upgrade for a starting weapon. And with your upgraded weapons, you'll be able to run Silver and Gold which vastly increases your credits per mission.

Also, learn to play with the power-heavy classes (Engineers, Adepts) and you won't be limited by the lack of high-end equipment. I'm routinely one or two on the board on Silver running those two classes with a Predator pistol. I'd suggest not using the Widow with an Adept, as it kills your power refresh rate. When I run Adept, I spam Warp and Shockwave and live off of the biotic explosions. Get teamed with a vanguard, and you can set warp and watch them blow things down with a charge.

I actually picked up the Turian from logging into multiplayer the first time. I looked at the store, and it just gave it to me.

Apparently it's time to go buy a shitload of recruit packs until it stops giving me weapons, yes?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Relentless posted:

I actually picked up the Turian from logging into multiplayer the first time. I looked at the store, and it just gave it to me.

Apparently it's time to go buy a shitload of recruit packs until it stops giving me weapons, yes?
More to the point, until you max out the common weapon mods.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

If you already have the maximum level of a weapon or mod or character or whatever, will you no longer receive it in boosters, then?

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

CuddlyZombie posted:

If you already have the maximum level of a weapon or mod or character or whatever, will you no longer receive it in boosters, then?

You will still occasionally see a stock character, which will just effectively give you XP for that class.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

CuddlyZombie posted:

The roll process for each slot goes something like this: Item type (gun/character/mod/gear/consumable[where applicable, certain slots are guaranteed consumables]), rarity, exact type; if exact type is maxed, then another type of the same rarity/item type; if rarity/item type is maxed, then consumable. The one exception to maxing out is common character cards, which will still show up and give you xp according to the level of pack purchased (for recruit packs, 12500 or 62500; for PSPs, 250000).

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Coolguye posted:

I really like the gameplay and everything, but I'm starting to keep my tablet next to me so I can just do something else when someone with kill everything weapons shows up. It's no longer worth the effort to play at that point.
Or then you could just keep playing, get better and then feel all :smuggo: when the scoreboard shows your Predator-wielding Human Sentinel above all the Harrier- and Reegar-using scrubs.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Coolguye posted:

I should warn everyone that I haven't played the single player at all yet so I have a tendency to promote out, though I do make a point of keeping at least one class at level 20. I've mostly been messing around with my Tempest, Phaeston, and Arc Pistol. I just got the Valiant I today and that's kind of cool, though its competition is the Mantis X which, despite people calling it 'okay' in here, I have found to be wholly inadequate.

I've mostly been buying Veteran packs since I maxed out my common weapons. I still pick up a common item every now and then (though I'm almost done with weapon mods so that should hopefully end soon). As far as my activity, I've mostly been playing Silver or barging in on a Gold match and sort of coasting while some douchenozzle with a Reegar X and Black Widow X solos everything, because honestly gently caress this goddamn game's stratification of people. I really like the gameplay and everything, but I'm starting to keep my tablet next to me so I can just do something else when someone with kill everything weapons shows up. It's no longer worth the effort to play at that point.

Human sentinel is always a good choice when you're starting out. Try out this build for a nice tanky caster and focus on warping anything big and getting biotic/tech combos with throw. Warp with expose and pierce is like having AP ammo without using up consumables. Add warp ammo to really ramp up the damage.

CAPSLOCKGIRL
Jul 21, 2011

I actually just hold down the Shift key.
I never discovered the joys of my friend, the Combat Drone, until tonight.

Do the power damage bonuses from Alliance training count towards the Drone's zappy-thing and rockets?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Coolguye posted:

The Turian Sentinel is your best bet. Human Engineer, Quarian Infiltrator, N7 Demolisher, and Human Adept are good as well with your limited manifest.

As somebody on the other end of your douchnozzle argument, it's a matter of having a limited manifest and not knowing the spawns/knowing to prioritize trooper enemies first. The builds I suggested are your best bets for contributing the most on Gold with what you have.

Keep in mind several things:
- The gold rarity weapon mods do not add weight as long as you don't use them on DLC guns. You don't appear to have any of the DLC guns except the Striker, so I slapped them onto your builds where appropriate. 200% cooldown is overrated; as long as you're around 150% you'll be fine on a class that requires constant power usage.
- Cloak cooldown is proportionate to how long you stay "hidden", so to maintain the shortest cooldown (4 seconds) you want to break it as soon as possible. With the Quarian Infiltrator, Cloak, use Sabotage to make an enemy stunned for a second and then fire with the Mantis. Cloak's damage bonus lasts 2.5 seconds after your first attack so both will gain extra damage. I personally found the Salarian Infiltrator to be a better starting point for sniping but the Quarian works too.
- The Human Adept can get 2 free Biotic Explosions out of Singularity with the Detonate evolution on rank 6. Throw a Singularity and then Shockwave for one BE, and then toss a Warp for a second BE. Singularity exploding when it runs out will detonate Warp.
- Please don't be the person who saves missiles and medigel for wave 11. You only have the base capacity of 2 for both, so I would suggest saving them for waves 6 and 10 if you can. Stick around to at least one teammate so you have somebody ready to revive you.

CAPSLOCKGIRL
Jul 21, 2011

I actually just hold down the Shift key.

quote:

- The gold rarity weapon mods do not add weight as long as you don't use them on DLC guns. You don't appear to have any of the DLC guns except the Striker, so I slapped them onto your builds where appropriate. 200% cooldown is overrated; as long as you're around 150% you'll be fine on a class that requires constant power usage.

What? No, that's completely wrong. The High Velocity Barrel adds weight to all my sniper rifles.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

CAPSLOCKGIRL posted:

What? No, that's completely wrong. The High Velocity Barrel adds weight to all my sniper rifles.

No, they don't. The caveat is that the weight will kick in properly if you use an Ultra-light materials mod on anything.

Select a character with heavy weapon mods equipped and check the cooldown time under powers. It should be super long, right? Now go to the character select screen, pick the same character and check your powers again without looking at the weapons menu. The actual cooldowns will be shown, which are the ones without the weight penalty.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CAPSLOCKGIRL posted:

It says they do. There is no ingame difference. Its the same bug that made equipping ultralight materials on anything but a Geth SMG worthless for a while.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
My advice for new players is to spend about £10 on packs so you unlock some really fun stuff to use early on. People get mad if you ever mention that you spent (your own) REAL MONEY though.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Also the Mantis X owns on a hunter mode'd Geth Infiltrator.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
My in game voice chat has stopped working. It was fine before, but I guess it broke when I installed newer sound drivers, I have the integrated Realtek HD audio chip in the mobo. The game does recognize my mic since the little speaker icon in the lobby is blue, but push-to-talk won't do a thing. The problem definitely is with the game, since TeamSpeak, Mumble and Planetside 2's in-game voice work just as fine as before.

I just feel so powerless when I can't yell at stupid pubbies to get on the objective or just goddamn use that missile already. :negative:

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Nordick posted:

My in game voice chat has stopped working. It was fine before, but I guess it broke when I installed newer sound drivers, I have the integrated Realtek HD audio chip in the mobo. The game does recognize my mic since the little speaker icon in the lobby is blue, but push-to-talk won't do a thing. The problem definitely is with the game, since TeamSpeak, Mumble and Planetside 2's in-game voice work just as fine as before.

I just feel so powerless when I can't yell at stupid pubbies to get on the objective or just goddamn use that missile already. :negative:

Did the game change the voice input device in Extras-Options-Sound?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Valkyrie I. :geno:

Also I bought two PSPs that had nothing but rare consumables, despite not having all the appearance options for the three newest characters. gently caress this jam. :mad:

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
I was looking forward to getting the batarian adept but he's really boring to play as. Warp + grenades doesn't feel as fun or powerful as the drell's combo. Lash is all right but the vanguard can do that as well.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

precision posted:

Valkyrie I. :geno:

Also I bought two PSPs that had nothing but rare consumables, despite not having all the appearance options for the three newest characters. gently caress this jam. :mad:

I've been saving up credits for a while now as some Xbox goons know (I had 3.3 million credits) and decided to promote my characters and see how many Ultra-Rares I could get since I have everything else. I decided to use Spetre packs to see. Grand total? 3 ultra-rares. Scorpion, Collector SMG, and Harrier upgrades. Be glad that getting nothing but rare consumables still makes you angry it could be worse.

Oh and while I'm at it got a Crusader VII.

VextheGrey
Dec 3, 2000

"No, Sasquatch! NOOOOO!!"

Unclouded posted:

I've been saving up credits for a while now as some Xbox goons know (I had 3.3 million credits) and decided to promote my characters and see how many Ultra-Rares I could get since I have everything else. I decided to use Spetre packs to see. Grand total? 3 ultra-rares. Scorpion, Collector SMG, and Harrier upgrades. Be glad that getting nothing but rare consumables still makes you angry it could be worse.

Oh and while I'm at it got a Crusader VII.

I'm missing something here that it feels is important to know, what does first promoting have anything to do with it?

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

VextheGrey posted:

I'm missing something here that it feels is important to know, what does first promoting have anything to do with it?

You get character cards with tons of bonus XP, so your level 1 promotes go up to level 15 or w/e

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

VextheGrey posted:

Redundant character cards.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Welp, tried to get back into the swing of things, but the game hardlocking on the second game I played killed that off. Sorry, Jelly.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

Houdini posted:

My advice for new players is to spend about £10 on packs so you unlock some really fun stuff to use early on. People get mad if you ever mention that you spent (your own) REAL MONEY though.

While I don't disagree with this, I'd add waiting to have all the basic weapons maxed out before buying packs. It's bad enough to to be hosed by the RNG, might as well take some of the sting our of the equation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Houdini posted:

I was looking forward to getting the batarian adept but he's really boring to play as. Warp + grenades doesn't feel as fun or powerful as the drell's combo. Lash is all right but the vanguard can do that as well.

I find that you basically have to take the shrapnel evolution with cluster grenades to have any chance at all of hitting anything.

• Locked thread