Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

pbpancho posted:

Second photo from the end, shows one folded out for use. I had to install the corners this morning before I could put them on.

I stand corrected!

And Mikeycp, just get it. Or lure some MTG people into playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

pbpancho posted:

No legs, I have a larger apartment but no room for a dedicated gaming table. We never use the dining table though so it can pretty much just sit on that old thing full time. It's heavy enough that it won't really move thanks to the MDF. I've got MAYBE $250 into it total, but that includes stuff like the staplegun, foam, cloth, cupholders, etc. It could be done much cheaper if you don't get as clean of wood, or much more expensive if you used Maple or Oak instead of pine. I'll probably build a new one, with legs and a removable top so it can be used as a normal table once I have a house or something, but for now, this is great.

Second photo from the end, shows one folded out for use. I had to install the corners this morning before I could put them on.

We used the table tonight, played 3 games of Fleet, 2 of Sentinels of the Multiverse, and 1 of Alien Frontiers. Cupholders worked great, and it's so nice having a surface that makes it easy to pick up cards, and the dice roll quietly but not too bouncy.

Here are two in-use shots

Two things:

1) Can I be your friend and come play games on your awesome table?

2) Do you have any printable plans or dimensions for this thing? I'd really love to make one and my "neighbor" has a really good woodshop that I can use free. I didn't realize this (I asked about the table before) until last week and all I've thought about is making a table.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oh god I finally got around to playing the first mission of Earth Reborn, and I am gobsmacked.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Fix posted:

Oh god I finally got around to playing the first mission of Earth Reborn, and I am gobsmacked.

At last you join us. :getin:

Teh Madd Hatter
May 26, 2008
Just did an unboxing of Darkest Night and finally ran in to my first game that had missing pieces. ended up not having the cards for the Scholar and the Rogue entirely and only had half of the Seer's set. Everything else seemed fine and got extra sets of the wizard and the Priest. Sent an email off to Victory Point Games so we'll see what happens from here.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

VoodooXT posted:

At last you join us. :getin:

It was like some minor miracle of elegance shat itself out of a whirling cacophony of strange and really good components and told me of a bright and sensible future amidst the gibberish that made up its parts. It was like confusion gave way to understanding gave way to tension in the span of no time at all. Which is to say that the fluff was bizarrely fitting to the actual game experience.

Can't wait to paint these fukkin models.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

sicarius posted:

Two things:

1) Can I be your friend and come play games on your awesome table?

2) Do you have any printable plans or dimensions for this thing? I'd really love to make one and my "neighbor" has a really good woodshop that I can use free. I didn't realize this (I asked about the table before) until last week and all I've thought about is making a table.

1) If you're in Minneapolis/St. Paul, sure!

2) The only real plans are crappy sketches on a piece of scrap paper. Dimensions were determined by taking my biggest game boards and making sure it's big enough to handle those (Memoir 44 Overlord maps for the long dimension, and Breakthrough maps for depth). That makes it big enough for two Ticket to Ride(or similar size) games at once. With 4 players like we had tonight it's really roomy, which is great. Playable area is 60x40, more or less. If I did it again I'd chop the corners down so it's a little easier to move around. I'd also knock 3 or so inches off both dimensions, and ideally make the well on the tabletop deeper, since with the way I did the foam over hardboard if I add a piece of plexiglass I'll be essentially even with the table rim. I'd love to have some pull out surfaces, either for food, laptops, etc, but that wouldn't really work with the way I have it set up on top of the existing table.

If anyone would like I can sketch up a rough idea of how to put it together though.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I didn't see a thread for this, but is there a trading thread (or maybe this thread can be used to gauge interest) for board games? I have Arkham Horror, played once, and my family/close friends don't have any interest in it. I have a shortlist of games I would trade for it, but if this isn't the proper place I would go elsewhere.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I didn't see a thread for this, but is there a trading thread (or maybe this thread can be used to gauge interest) for board games? I have Arkham Horror, played once, and my family/close friends don't have any interest in it. I have a shortlist of games I would trade for it, but if this isn't the proper place I would go elsewhere.

Here you go
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3501008

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Odd question, but can someone give me a ballpark figure for a group of 4-6 reasonably-competent BGers to play BSG, with both expansions? We've played the base game many times, Pegasus a few times and we've not played Exodus at all yet.

Basically, we're wanting to have a big-old BSG-hoedown before one of our mates goes back to university, and it's a nightmare trying to get a day organised to play it. We're trying to figure out if we can feasibly do it in a "school night," ie. about 7pm to 11pm, or if we really need to do it on a weekend.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I know this might be a weird request, but could anyone, for reference purposes, point me towards area-movement games whose maps emphasise road/railroad network?

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

Yoshimo posted:

Odd question, but can someone give me a ballpark figure for a group of 4-6 reasonably-competent BGers to play BSG, with both expansions? We've played the base game many times, Pegasus a few times and we've not played Exodus at all yet.

Basically, we're wanting to have a big-old BSG-hoedown before one of our mates goes back to university, and it's a nightmare trying to get a day organised to play it. We're trying to figure out if we can feasibly do it in a "school night," ie. about 7pm to 11pm, or if we really need to do it on a weekend.

Four hours is fine, but I'd advise you set up the boards and pieces before everyone arrives, and set out the character sheets somewhere so selection can be pretty quick. I've never played Exodus, as it seems to mostly be a bunch of variants, and I've never used the New Caprica variant, (but I think it works best that way) and so I'd advise that you play main game plus Pegasus board plus Cylon Leaders.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Rondette posted:

Going to Afternoon Play tomorrow in Birmingham, going to be wondering who the Goons are. :ninja:

We're taking Galaxy Trucker.
I had some good fun! Played some Pandemic, Sentinels of the Multiverse and Skulls and Roses, looking forward to next month.
I'll try and convince my friend to bring Chaos in the Old World next time.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Awia posted:

I had some good fun! Played some Pandemic, Sentinels of the Multiverse and Skulls and Roses, looking forward to next month.
I'll try and convince my friend to bring Chaos in the Old World next time.

Hrm, I didn't play with you then, but I think were sharing the long table then!

FelchTragedy posted:

Right we Brum boardgaming goons might as well organise meets in the Brum meet thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526156

It was nice playing Galaxy Truckers with you, if I had read a few more posts in the thread I wouldn't have brought my big rear end box version.
You too, shame I got absolutely hammered in the last round. I was doing so well. (I get now why you didn't want to swap usernames, haha)

I'd like to try some of the extensions for Galaxy Trucker. Bring it along next time!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Redacted

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 19, 2013

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Yoshimo posted:

If your game of BSG is going longer than 4 hours, for the love of all that is good and holy, just throw in the towel! BSG should take about 2.5 hours, but 3 is not completely unusual.

EddieDean posted:

Four hours is fine, but I'd advise you set up the boards and pieces before everyone arrives, and set out the character sheets somewhere so selection can be pretty quick. I've never played Exodus, as it seems to mostly be a bunch of variants, and I've never used the New Caprica variant, (but I think it works best that way) and so I'd advise that you play main game plus Pegasus board plus Cylon Leaders.

New Caprica is trash. Just thought you should know. Ionian Nebula has some interesting mechanics with an endgame of "oh, I just lost for no reason."

Here's the thing: Pegasus swings human ever so slightly. The cylon fleet board, on the other hand, favors the cylons.

My "all-in" setup utilizes the following:
- 5 players (no Cylon Leader). If you want 4 or 6, use the "no sympathizer" variant, which I don't know off-hand.
- All Skill Cards (with updated Investigative Committee)
- Updated Cylon locations and loyalty card rules from Pegasus. (The stuff from Exodus is mostly awful without houserules)
- Pegasus Board
- Cylon Fleet Board

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Indolent Bastard posted:

How does the game play compare to Infinity (or Necromunda, if you've played it)?

I can't say for sure yet as I haven't got into the interruptions/reactions and shooting yet, and that's going to be key. Bidding from the order pool (I'm basically using that term to refer to Command Points since it's what I'm familiar with from Infinity) is a really cool idea, but I don't know how it will play out. It's kind of a combination of Malifaux and Infinity in that it's got the Order Pool but then it's alternating play on a per-model basis. Given the wound totals, I'd compare it to Malifaux again. I really like the double-sided character cards. That was such a pleasant surprise.

I don't think I've really realized the full impact of using the order tiles, that was only starting to reveal itself to us towards the end, and the real tactical advantage of maintaining a hand of them or spending to take from the discard pile hasn't really hit me yet.

Setup was a bit tedious, but I don't put a whole lot of weight into that for being my first time at it. I'm a little annoyed that it's going to force me to be so organized.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yoshimo posted:

Hey Yoshimo, how's Dungeon Petz going? Hope the relative complexity of it didn't put your group off :ohdear:

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So after letting it sit on the shelf since it came out, I finally got in a play of Mice and Mystics, and I came away very, very disappointed. We played the first scenario with two players and quit in the middle of just the second tile (largely because we were very close to losing due to the timer). I've rarely felt less in control of a game and beholden to dice in a fundamentally unfun way. There seemed to be no good way to mitigate the rolls, and most of them were just cancelling each other out. Maybe it was just bad luck, but we came close to a wipe in the first encounter, and then immediately got a surge, before dropping into a very unbalanced fight the next tile. I'm also not at all sold on experience and ability-uses being the same resource, especially when you start with none and get it randomly.

This sucks, because I'm really into the production and theme, and had been looking forward to this one for a long time. I hope we were missing something, but I'm not sure what it could have been. Should we have been searching during combat? Give ourselves a couple slices of cheese to start with so the abilities actually do something? I want to like this, but the game makes it pretty hard.

Anyway, speaking of Earth Reborn, I haven't yet played but spent a couple hours learning Archipelago, and it looks awesome. Obviously I'll need to properly play it to tell, but seems like a good integration of diverse mechanics into well-produced whole. But I couldn't help notice how oddly anal the rules are about how you play. It insists on keeping the components in the box insert during play, if I recall even bolding it, and other trivial bookkeeping details. Are Boelinger's other games like that? I'm not exactly a complaining, but it seems odd.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I think I finally understand Dungeon Lords.

I was overconfident and thought I could take the paladin, gambling that I'd get a good trap, but ended up with 3 tiles conquered in both year 1 and 2. Only captured the year 1 paladin and 1 adventerur in each year, but still managed to land 2nd place with 22 points.

But a friend is getting me Festival Season as a late Christmas present, so now I think I'm going to have to start over. Anyone here played with Festival Season yet? From what I read in the rulebook, it looks like an amazing addition, but the bards and the extra event and hero each year kinda scare me :ohdear:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Dominion posted:

Well, it's labyrinths board game night so whatever is around and people want to play, really. Ill certainly bring Netrunner and Star Wars decks. I could bring castles of burgundy, galaxy trucker, or some other stuff as well.

I need someone to teach me how to play Netrunner anyways. Sounds like a good enough excuse for me to roll on down there!

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Fix posted:

Can't wait to paint these fukkin models.

Same here, but I'm afraid of breaking my models off their bases. :ohdear:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

LuiCypher posted:

I need someone to teach me how to play Netrunner anyways. Sounds like a good enough excuse for me to roll on down there!

As an aside, if you wander into Labyrinth anytime David Kempe is working and say "hey teach me to play Netrunner" he'll probably jump at the chance to get more players in the area.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

...one of us, one of us...

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Descent 2.0 scenario builder thingy!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3871

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Dominion posted:

As an aside, if you wander into Labyrinth anytime David Kempe is working and say "hey teach me to play Netrunner" he'll probably jump at the chance to get more players in the area.

Note that unless he's changed since he moved from Athens he will try his damnedest to utterly destroy you. Dude likes to win, even if it's a teaching game.

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!

Poopy Palpy posted:

Note that unless he's changed since he moved from Athens he will try his damnedest to utterly destroy you. Dude likes to win, even if it's a teaching game.

He hasn't changed at all.

I knew him before he got the job at Labyrinth, and joked to Kathleen (the owner) that I wanted to play against Kempe in any game I wanted to buy, and if he won, I wouldn't buy it.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Any Atlanta gamers been to local meet ups? I joined the AtlantaBoardGames (who run Atlanta Game Fest) Yahoo group but my membership has been pending approval for a week or two. I wouldn't mind finding some people to play the heavier games I can't get my usual group to play. I'd prefer to stay ITP but will occasionally venture OTP to go to Tower Game Center in Suwanee or the Games Workshop store in Sandy Springs.

Saw that last night but just watched the intro video, haven't had a chance to mess around with it yet. Really cool idea though, props to FFG for putting it together.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Poopy Palpy posted:

If its a full game he will play to win. But I've seen him demo stuff and he uses a fixed stacked deck and sets up a server and a runner board to illustrate how runs work, rather than starting from scratch with a full mock game.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Dominion posted:

He's the skinny and jumpy guy :P if you didn't know.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Upgrade is in progress! The light pine color looked fine, but this darker brown should go real nice with the green cloth. Just 3-4 more coats to go! I had to open all the windows and put up a fan to clear out the fumes. And it's 8 degrees outside...

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

After running out of TV series to binge through, I picked up Carcassonne and Dominion last week for my roommate and I to play. These were pretty much my first 'adult' board/card games (aside from Magic), and I already stopped in at my LGS today and got Traders & Builders, Inns & Cathedrals, and The Tower for Carcassonne and Intrigue for Dominion. They're such great games to play while the TV is on or we're smoking or whatever. I'm hooked.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

pbpancho posted:

1) If you're in Minneapolis/St. Paul, sure!
I live in Bloomington and I am now extremely interested in becoming friends with you.

KiloVictorDongs
Apr 12, 2007
SOME PIG

Lawen posted:

Any Atlanta gamers been to local meet ups? I joined the AtlantaBoardGames (who run Atlanta Game Fest) Yahoo group but my membership has been pending approval for a week or two. I wouldn't mind finding some people to play the heavier games I can't get my usual group to play. I'd prefer to stay ITP but will occasionally venture OTP to go to Tower Game Center in Suwanee or the Games Workshop store in Sandy Springs.

Saw that last night but just watched the intro video, haven't had a chance to mess around with it yet. Really cool idea though, props to FFG for putting it together.

Hey, I live on the outside of the perimeter! PM me if you're looking to start up a group, my old group is going to fall apart pretty soon (people moving away), and it'd be awesome to get another group together.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

blackmongoose posted:

I live in Bloomington and I am now extremely interested in becoming friends with you.

Come to one of my Meetups! Usually every Wednesday at the Fantasy Flight Games Event Center, 6PM.

http://www.twincitiesboardgames.com/events/99259382/

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

pbpancho posted:

Come to one of my Meetups! Usually every Wednesday at the Fantasy Flight Games Event Center, 6PM.

http://www.twincitiesboardgames.com/events/99259382/

Wednesdays aren't usually good for me, but I might be able to make this week's. I'll be sure to ask for the guy with the awesome table.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

SinetheGuy posted:

Anyway, speaking of Earth Reborn, I haven't yet played but spent a couple hours learning Archipelago, and it looks awesome. Obviously I'll need to properly play it to tell, but seems like a good integration of diverse mechanics into well-produced whole. But I couldn't help notice how oddly anal the rules are about how you play. It insists on keeping the components in the box insert during play, if I recall even bolding it, and other trivial bookkeeping details. Are Boelinger's other games like that? I'm not exactly a complaining, but it seems odd.

Not really. Hell, Earth Reborn doesn't even bother telling you how to put the tons of components into the complicated-as-gently caress insert (although if you're a pro like me it's no hassle :goonsay:).

I had a huge gaming night this weekend. I was initially trying to put Virgin Queen on the table, but ended up playing other games instead.

Archipelago is a game I've talked enough about in this thread, but I'll addend that the traitor mechanic can be awfully powerful (game-breaking, even?) for groups that refuse to take a break from exploiting their economies and actively try to stop the "everyone-loses" mechanic from triggering. I'm going to need to play more to find out if this is indeed going to end my joy with the game, but I certainly hope it does not.

I got to play Netrunner something like nine or ten times, which I'll laud in its own thread.

I also got to play X-Wing Miniatures for the first time, which I'll say good things about in its own thread.

Timeline is a neat little family game that's a good way to kill a few minutes. The goal is to discard your hand of historical events, and you discard a card by putting it in the right place on the titular timeline of cards pooled in the middle. The result is a somewhat 'edutainment' experience that is actually fun. I'd still rate Travel Blog over it, but then again Timeline is quicker and arguably better filler.

Ugg-Tect is now my favorite party game ever. Players play in teams; each team has one player as the Ugg-Tect with the other players following said Ugg-Tects' orders. The goal is to build an object with wooden toy blocks, but only the Ugg-Tect knows what the object looks like. The trick is that players can only speak using Stone Age language (e.g. "Agungu" and hitting players over the head with clubs). Also, the game comes with INFLATABLE CLUBS you bash people over the head with. So in short, you have players grunting and bashing other players over the head with clubs as they desperately race each other to build random objects out of play blocks. Need I say more?

King of Tokyo and its expansion Power Up! are great as usual. This was the first time I played with Power Up!, and it more or less adds to the calculated chaos of the game. I normally would be mad at being eliminated with a (somewhat) large chunk of health thanks to a 'gotcha!' card, but I've come to expect crazy poo poo in this game and can let a sudden death slide in this silly game moreso than I could with a more serious game.

I played some Space Alert as well. Since I was with players who actually played it before, I got to play a real mission as opposed to a tutorial game--something I rarely get to do. How was it? It's loving Space Alert. You should know to play this loving game.

I bought and played Myrmes. It's a Euro. With ants. Players are ant colonies trying to score victory points by doing ant things, like making ant-trails, killing ant-prey, harvest ant-goods, breeding worker-ants, etc. If you like eurogames, especially worker-placement games, you'll like Myrmes. I particularly enjoy how this game adds a spatial element and layers the actions you'll do (e.g. you'll be placing nurses and worker ants in essentially several action phases as opposed to one round-robin placing). I'm starting to suspect with games like Archipelago, Dominant Species, The Great Zimbabwe and Myrmes we're going to see worker-placement games expand into layering the worker-placement mechanic and/or adding spatial elements. I'm going to call these games "worker-placement-driven" games because I'm clever :v:

With a third play, Eclipse has gone from mediocre to decent. My main gripes about the game (low player-interaction, overly economic, too random in certain spots) are still there, but being more familiar with the natural pace of Eclipse has made me like it more. That, and some mechanics to the game are pretty drat clever. I'm waiting for a Goldilocks space 4X that finds the right balance between Eclipse and TI3 to become the truly great space game. Every time I play one or the other I always feel a sensation that this style of game could be iterated on if not perfected.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

blackmongoose posted:

Wednesdays aren't usually good for me, but I might be able to make this week's. I'll be sure to ask for the guy with the awesome table.

Good! If someone is fun, and not too weird, they usually graduate to a smaller group that meets at my place or a friend's for games, which are different days of the week. Hope to see you there!

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Trynant posted:

With a third play, Eclipse has gone from mediocre to decent. My main gripes about the game (low player-interaction, overly economic, too random in certain spots) are still there, but being more familiar with the natural pace of Eclipse has made me like it more. That, and some mechanics to the game are pretty drat clever. I'm waiting for a Goldilocks space 4X that finds the right balance between Eclipse and TI3 to become the truly great space game. Every time I play one or the other I always feel a sensation that this style of game could be iterated on if not perfected.

I've heard good things about Exodus: Proxima Centauri to fit that niche. And by heard, I mean watched Tom Vassel's :spergin: buddy gush about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwdoYI2paTk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Hegemonic might do it but it's currently on Kickstarter and no one's really played it.

• Locked thread