Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
The reason people with Level gently caress You guns top the scoreboard isn't necessarily the guns*, it's the poopsocking practice they've put in to get those guns. I can take a Katana or a Mantis into Gold pubs and come out comfortably ahead.

*Turian Inf with a Harrier X is total babby mode and I will mock everyone who uses it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Elotana posted:

*Turian Inf with a Harrier X is total babby mode and I will mock everyone who uses it

Heck, TGI with a Harrier I is total babby mode. Besides, I doubt there's more than, say, a dozen people worldwide who even have a Harrier X.

And go ahead and mock me all day long because while it may be total babby mode, I still think it's fun as hell :colbert:
I mean, it's no challenge, but it's fun in the same way that putting two Scram Rail X and High Explosive Ammo X mods on your sniper rifle / shotgun in ME1 is.

EDIT: Although, and speaking of Explosive Ammo mods, I've really grown fond of Human Engineer equipped with an Indra lately. Short cooldowns, and I've found that the HE ammo mod actually works reasonably well with the Indra due to its rate of fire. Give the Geth a taste of their stagger medicine.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 14, 2013

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Burning Mustache posted:

Heck, TGI with a Harrier I is total babby mode. Besides, I doubt there's more than, say, a dozen people worldwide who even have a Harrier X.

17 people on my friends list alone have a Harrier X and a dozen of them have maxed manifests without cheating :v:

It's really not that rare anymore if you've been playing since launch regularly and didn't waste too much time in Silver.

I don't find the Ghost fun at all precisely because there's no challenge in it for me, but I see randoms fail horribly with broken setups like that all the time.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I'd probably have a maxed manifest right now if I'd bothered to play in the last three weeks. I'll get back into it eventually.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

On the Drell Adept does the combo evolution on cluster grenade kick in on reave'd targets?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Yes, it does.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

UnknownMercenary posted:

17 people on my friends list alone have a Harrier X and a dozen of them have maxed manifests without cheating :v:

It's really not that rare anymore if you've been playing since launch regularly and didn't waste too much time in Silver.

Oh, wow.

I mean, I'm probably at the bottom end of the regulars in this thread (and nevermind some BSN guys) with regards to playtime at ~266 hours played, but I've had everything except for gear and Ultra Rare guns (and of course Promotional guns) maxed out for a while now, and my URs are still far from being maxed. My highest UR gun is a level VI, and I still don't even have a Typhoon, Scorpion or Collector SMG (thank god for the latter though).

I supposed I've just been pretty unlucky with my URs, although I've also never spent any real money on packs and I've accumulated some ~ 3 mio. credits since I've had all Gold guns and characters maxed out and bought hardly anything (except for JEPs) since, for whatever that's worth.

Although looking at my playtime and manifest, I guess if you have a group of regulars that can consistently beat Platinum and you keep doing that it's possible to max out even the URs with a slightly higher playtime.

I'm mostly mad that my Harrier is still at I though :saddowns:

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Anyone else made an enemy invulnerable to weapons fire by trying to grab and it simply not working? It's an odd glitch to explain but you have to try and grab them, they slide forward into the grab animation, and then it either doesn't work and they appear behind you. Missiles won't kill them but the engineer's turret should work.

Maybe it's just a case of really bad lag.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I had that happen with a marauder once, the only thing we had that could hurt it was warp bubble. It took loving ages to kill.

Gerroid
Nov 7, 2007

I'm not used to all this freaky technofear magic stuff.

exquisite tea posted:

I find that you basically have to take the shrapnel evolution with cluster grenades to have any chance at all of hitting anything.

I run this build on the BatAdept whenever I feel I may need to carry a gold team, and I can usually do just that. Warp->Cluster Grenade for big guys and spawns, or Warp->High-powered shotgun with Warp ammo for anything else. Haven't tried on Platinum yet, though.

I completely understand the Drell Adept Reave->Cluster combo being better, but I find myself going down way too often as a Drell. Despite having played since launch, I still haven't mastered the skill of not taking bullets to the face constantly.

And on that note, adding myself to the goon PC list. I have everything unlocked and play gold regularly, so feel free to invite me for anything from bronze to gold. Only played Plat a few times when it first came out, though, so I'm not really confident in my ability to not be a burden there.

Edit: nuts, forgot to put location as Southwest US.

Gerroid fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 14, 2013

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.

Monolith. posted:

Anyone else made an enemy invulnerable to weapons fire by trying to grab and it simply not working? It's an odd glitch to explain but you have to try and grab them, they slide forward into the grab animation, and then it either doesn't work and they appear behind you. Missiles won't kill them but the engineer's turret should work.

Maybe it's just a case of really bad lag.

I find this happens a lot with reapers, when a cannibal or husk starts getting buffed by a marauder during a grab, the husk or cannibal then become invulnerable. Usually they just stand there being untouchable, but every once in a while they will get buffed, grabbed, stuck, then go on an unstoppable murderous rampage.

Husk of doom.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I changed my mind a bit on Drellfiltrator. I still don't "get" Recon Mine but Homing Grenades from cloak is a pretty massive amount of pain.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

precision posted:

I changed my mind a bit on Drellfiltrator. I still don't "get" Recon Mine but Homing Grenades from cloak is a pretty massive amount of pain.
What's not to get? Fire it into a spawn, then don't detonate it until everything is almost dead.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

What's not to get? Fire it into a spawn, then don't detonate it until everything is almost dead.
I've found the opposite to be useful too. Softening up an entire spawn at once with a mine will allow you to one-shot more things.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Yeah, basically you use the Recon Mine like you'd use the Salarian Infiltrator's Prox. Mine, except split into two Cloaks instead of one (because you have to detonate it manually).

So basically: Cloak -> deploy Recon Mine -> shoot enemies, wait for Cloak cooldown -> Cloak -> detonate Recon Mine -> shoot enemies and then start over. Does a decent job of softening up entire spawns of enemies. Just make sure to always shoot right after you have deployed the Recon Mine from within Cloak, even if there are no enemies around (just shoot at a wall) in order to get Cloak's cooldown instead of the Recon Mine's.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Burning Mustache posted:

And go ahead and mock me all day long because while it may be total babby mode, I still think it's fun as hell :colbert:
I mean, it's no challenge, but it's fun in the same way that putting two Scram Rail X and High Explosive Ammo X mods on your sniper rifle / shotgun in ME1 is.

EDIT: Although, and speaking of Explosive Ammo mods, I've really grown fond of Human Engineer equipped with an Indra lately. Short cooldowns, and I've found that the HE ammo mod actually works reasonably well with the Indra due to its rate of fire. Give the Geth a taste of their stagger medicine.

Huh, I thought the Harrier was pretty good when I tried it on my Turian Soldier, so I guess I got pretty insanely lucky getting that as one of my first guns from a PSP.

Also, I played a round yesterday as a level 6 or whatever Volus Engineer with a Falcon. Fat little dude rushing a pile of geth with a grenade-launching assault rifle must have been pretty hosed to see.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I notice a lot of people using recon mine as more of a weapon than an invasive scan deliver and it confuses me, since the one weapon you want this boy carrying shoots your cooldown into absolute hell.

Invasive Scan --> Homing Grenade --> Cloak --> Claymore headshot --> Mine detonation absolutely destroys gold bosses. It's one of the more ridiculous damage-dumps in the game. I don't cloak for anything except the claymore, since it's on such a horrible cooldown. He's weak against trash but a top-tier boss killer, as the class name implies.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
New to ME3 multiplayer here - I am near the end of the single player and wanted to boost my readiness rating before the end of the game, but I'm finding online to be a blast. If I've read right, when I hit level 20 I can "promote" my character - will doing that reset my Galactic Readiness Rating?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

JoeRules posted:

New to ME3 multiplayer here - I am near the end of the single player and wanted to boost my readiness rating before the end of the game, but I'm finding online to be a blast. If I've read right, when I hit level 20 I can "promote" my character - will doing that reset my Galactic Readiness Rating?
You actually promote an entire class, which includes all of the characters within it, and by doing so reset the level of that class to 1. It will not reset your readiness.

TheDK fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 15, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

There's too long of a delay between Press Button and Awesome for my tastes.

Also I am surprisingly terrible at remembering spawn points aside from the incredibly obvious ones.

On another note, Turian Engineer is lame.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

JoeRules posted:

No, it just adds points to your score, the percentage doesn't change. It only drops when you don't play multi for awhile.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

JoeRules posted:

Nope, instead it gives you 75 points in the SP readiness thingie, and resets the class to level 1 in MP.

e: ^^^^^ What he said.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

precision posted:

There's too long of a delay between Press Button and Awesome for my tastes.

Also I am surprisingly terrible at remembering spawn points aside from the incredibly obvious ones.

On another note, Turian Engineer is lame.
Oh yeah, it's basically an exercise in ONLY SHOOTING WHEN YOU HAVE THE PERFECT SHOT because may God help you if you miss. It takes a lot of getting used to since you've got fuckall health and incredibly slow reload and cooldowns. There's something pretty fantastic about whomping a banshee right in the face and killing her wholesale from full armour-bar though.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

WeaponBoy posted:

Huh, I thought the Harrier was pretty good when I tried it on my Turian Soldier, so I guess I got pretty insanely lucky getting that as one of my first guns from a PSP.

It is quite incredible, and you did get pretty lucky :shepface:

I notice a lot of people using recon mine as more of a weapon than an invasive scan deliver and it confuses me, since the one weapon you want this boy carrying shoots your cooldown into absolute hell.

Invasive Scan --> Homing Grenade --> Cloak --> Claymore headshot --> Mine detonation absolutely destroys gold bosses. It's one of the more ridiculous damage-dumps in the game. I don't cloak for anything except the claymore, since it's on such a horrible cooldown. He's weak against trash but a top-tier boss killer, as the class name implies.

Well, you could also do something like this instead which makes him still pretty decent against bosses (3 BW shots = 6000 damage) while still being decent against lesser enemies (and especially good at mid-tier enemies even) with those three shots and your cooldown is a more reasonable 4.38 secs, which works quite alright for reloading and possibly even popping a Homing Grenade between Cloaks.
Plus you can deal that quite significant Recon Mine damage to entire spawns every other Cloak.

That build might not be the uber boss killer which a Claymore-centric one is, but it's a bit more versatile and it's one of the most fun builds I've found for sniping (in any class, no less).

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

JoeRules posted:

There's two components to your score: the war assets you find in single player that show up on the war room computer and the galactic readiness multiplier. Promoting your character adds points to your war assets (75 per character I believe), and playing games online raises galactic readiness, which is the percentage your assets are multiplied by to give the total. So, say you had 100 war assets but a 75% galactic readiness, your effective assets would only be 75. It really doesn't change much for the ending though, so don't pay it much mind. The ending that requires the most war assets is widely regarded as the worst one FYI. :shepface:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Heh, actually, looking over the Drellfiltrator's skills, I wonder whether there might be some fun gimmick build with the level 6 Bonus Power evolution of Cloak.
Something about having a deployed Recon Mine, Cloaking, firing off a Homing Grenade on an enemy in the scan radius and waiting for that to hit (you need to be Cloaked while it hits to get the bonus damage, right?) and then detonating the mine :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TheDK posted:

You actually promote an entire class, which includes all of the characters within it, and by doing so reset the level of that class to 1. It will not reset your readiness.

How would that even work, really?

"Well Admiral, the galactic fleet was prepared to make a heroic last stand against the Reapers until DickButt the Human Adept got a cushy front desk job on Ilium! Now we're back to square one, he was our only hope."

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Burning Mustache posted:

Heh, actually, looking over the Drellfiltrator's skills, I wonder whether there might be some fun gimmick build with the level 6 Bonus Power evolution of Cloak.
Something about having a deployed Recon Mine, Cloaking, firing off a Homing Grenade on an enemy in the scan radius and waiting for that to hit (you need to be Cloaked while it hits to get the bonus damage, right?) and then detonating the mine :v:

You can do that without bonus power, actually. Grenades and recon mine, either launching or detonating, don't break cloak. Hence the need to shoot/kick the walls when deploying recon mine; otherwise you stay in cloak until it runs out.

Bonus power is basically useless, all it would allow you to do is launch recon mine, detonate, and then launch recon mine again. And you'd need to keep your cooldowns low and take duration on cloak, or else recon mine wouldn't recharge before cloak runs out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Burning Mustache posted:

firing off a Homing Grenade on an enemy in the scan radius and waiting for that to hit (you need to be Cloaked while it hits to get the bonus damage, right?)

Nah, damage is set when you fire off a skill, including grenades.

I specced my Thane for max weapon and grenade damage and threw a Black Widow on him, was doing insane damage without even really trying. The increased Drell mobility makes sniping a lot more valid of a tactic again.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Burning Mustache posted:

Oh, wow.

I mean, I'm probably at the bottom end of the regulars in this thread (and nevermind some BSN guys) with regards to playtime at ~266 hours played, but I've had everything except for gear and Ultra Rare guns (and of course Promotional guns) maxed out for a while now, and my URs are still far from being maxed. My highest UR gun is a level VI, and I still don't even have a Typhoon, Scorpion or Collector SMG (thank god for the latter though).

I supposed I've just been pretty unlucky with my URs, although I've also never spent any real money on packs and I've accumulated some ~ 3 mio. credits since I've had all Gold guns and characters maxed out and bought hardly anything (except for JEPs) since, for whatever that's worth.

Although looking at my playtime and manifest, I guess if you have a group of regulars that can consistently beat Platinum and you keep doing that it's possible to max out even the URs with a slightly higher playtime.

I'm mostly mad that my Harrier is still at I though :saddowns:

Most people hit a maxed manifest roughly between 600 and 800 hours, so don't feel too bad.

If you get into the habit of breaking cloak after firing the mine you still get a good cooldown of 4 seconds, and mine detonation works independent of cooldown mechanics. So, cloak -> mine to debuff/slowdown enemies and then shoot immediately. If you're going to spam the mine for detonations you should be cloaking before you detonate.

I prefer 0 points in Homing grenades and use him for sniping. He has an amazing set of passives for weapon damage and the speed from fitness combined with an adrenaline module 3 negates his low shielding, unless I get dropped into a horrifically laggy match.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
With a lack of any new content on the horizon, I feel like I'm starting to use ME3MP just as a time-waster when I'm waiting on other things. It probably doesn't help that I don't really have anything to gun for out of the store (besides URs, and I'm not insane enough to grind for them). Still a pretty fun time-waster, though.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Monolith. posted:

That's a truly ancient bug from the game's launch. A little disconcerting to hear that you got it, since it was fixed long ago.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
OK I picked this up again after a break and,

Asari Huntress: :lol: oh man, Reaper Gold Rio hello quarter-million points how are you

Took my winnings, bought a pack, got Drell Infiltrator and Turian Saboteur. Great! Thanks for nothing game :mad:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Was tooling around on my QFE tonight because I'm a bit ill (when pubbies see a QFE with a Viper they don't expect much; or at least they shouldn't), and I saw a base Human Infiltrator with a Geth Plasma SMG and jack else. If it hadn't been bronze I bet he'd have been hard-pressed to break 5 digits. Who could think that was a good loadout for anything but a pure powers class (only if you haven't anything better), let alone a freaking weapons class?

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Ok, so I've mostly been playing as a Turian Soldier in gold matches with a Cerberus Harrier I and that's been working alright. I have a Vanguard for silver matches where I just bop around like a tard and I also had a Volus Engineer that I used to shield spam, but I promoted him because...eh, no reason, and I've got him back up to level 16. I'm not really sure what other classes I have are worth using. I looked at the Havoc, but I couldn't figure out a good spec. Same thing for a Geth Infiltrator.

Here's my manifest, by the way: http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/home/overview/?name=WeaponBoy&platform=pc

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I have yet to find a good application for the GPSMG. It requires a class who will rarely if ever interrupt it with powers. And then it's only decent.

Perhaps a Volus, but shield boost.

Maybe a Destroyer...but why?

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I put a GPSMG on my geth engineer. Works just fine.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Honestly, the GPSMG is fine as a secondary weapon just because of its insane ammo pool, so at least you'll be doing something between powers if you run out on your primary, but I cannot imagine having it as a lone weapon. Stick a Hurricane or a Paladin or even a Predator on before that super-soaker. Or in addition to! The GPSMG is light as heck, after all. And as a lone weapon on an infiltrator it kinda breaks my brain.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Am I missing something about the huntress? Everyone here seems to think it's broken awesome but she feels really weak when I play.

I just gave her another shot and even with every possible power damage boost/consumable and playing against collectors dark channel took forever to kill anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

WeaponBoy posted:

Ok, so I've mostly been playing as a Turian Soldier in gold matches with a Cerberus Harrier I and that's been working alright. I have a Vanguard for silver matches where I just bop around like a tard and I also had a Volus Engineer that I used to shield spam, but I promoted him because...eh, no reason, and I've got him back up to level 16. I'm not really sure what other classes I have are worth using. I looked at the Havoc, but I couldn't figure out a good spec. Same thing for a Geth Infiltrator.

Here's my manifest, by the way: http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/home/overview/?name=WeaponBoy&platform=pc

Here's a good Geth Infiltrator shotgun build:

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#Infiltrator/Geth/FIRNJ//////

(Some of the choices I've made here are personal preference. For example, you might find that you like the rank 6 range boost on Hunter Mode over damage, or more fitness instead of taking the passive to rank 6.)

You've got the Raider and the Reegar, both of which are great for this build. The key thing to have is the rank 5 Proxy Mine evolution. Cloak, fire off a mine, and immediately start shooting. You'll get the debuff from the mine (that 20% damage boost adds up quick) in addition to the cloak damage bonus if you fire right away. Just don't get caught in the open without cloak activated, you're way to fragile for that.

If you use the Raider, make sure you equip the Smart Choke on it. Otherwise you'll only be useful at extremely short ranges. Also, note that the Smart Choke doesn't actually effect the Reegar in any way.

Alternatively, if you'd like to set him up as a sniper, you can try 6/0/6/6/6, but until you get a Javelin there are other Infiltrators that handle sniping better.

Gangringo posted:

Am I missing something about the huntress? Everyone here seems to think it's broken awesome but she feels really weak when I play.

I just gave her another shot and even with every possible power damage boost/consumable and playing against collectors dark channel took forever to kill anything.

I like to use the Huntress with a Warp Ammo'd Hurricane. Cloak + DC, then unload on the enemy. Most trash mobs will be dead before your cooldown finishes, and anything that survives will be on the receiving end of Cloak + Warp, all the debuffs from that (Pierce), and the resulting biotic explosion.

Lynx fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 15, 2013

• Locked thread