Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
The rear looks awful to me, specifically the tail lights and huge black portion of plastic.

Id have to see it in real life to know for sure. The rest of the car looks "fine", just like the c6 looked "fine". On the road the c6 could have quite a presence i always thought since it was just so wide and low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Crabsticks
Feb 17, 2007
Please, corvette - be at the philly auto show coming up. I need to see you in person before decide if i like you.

The 2014 looks very much like the kind of car that could look very different in person, especially with how busy it appears to be. So far i like what i see, though.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

mobby_6kl posted:

I have to say that the new 'Vette looks way better than in the leaked photos. That said, the rear end with its gray plastic, quad pipes and a bunch of random shapes still looks like poo poo. The Viper's rear end, even with the cheesy CF part, is just so much cleaner and nicer to look at.

The Viper looks like a car for fat balding sad depressed middle aged men whom cant get a hot blonde. The rear end is droopier than their dick. Not doing a thing for me.

The 'Vette - well I expect that to have rocket launchers, machine guns and oil sprays because it's the kinda thing Condorman would drive. drat, every single new picture you guys nail up, the more I just giggle at how stupendously childish (but awesome) it is and how it's a fantasy come to life. And why if I was American I would desperatly want one. If it drives anything like it looks, I would be in fits of hysterical laughter the whole time, peeling out huge burnouts and drifting till the tyres exploded.

Seriously, will it come with a missile rack?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Hunh, so the C7 switched to a floor-hinged gas pedal. Good.

Friar Zucchini posted:

Well, the Mini Clubman has a split rear window, and you can get a Suburban with one too, so at least it's conceivable.
I bet both of those started out with better rear visibility (though maybe not by much in the Surburban) than what the C7 will have.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Wait I thought the new Viper had been out for a while? I've been seeing the new ones alot farther from Chrysler headquarters than their test cars usually roam, though now that I think about it they always have manufacturer plates.

They sound amazing when you sit next to them. I was sitting in a Thai place waiting for my food, looked out the window, and there were three of em in a row sitting at a stop light, and I got to see one up close at Chrysler HQ for a preview of it, but no cameras were allowed :(

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 14, 2013

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Quad pipes are fine just don't smush them all together.

The C7 pipes look silly IMO and they might as well add 4 more just because MOAR is BETTER! I'm kidding...sort of

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Charliegrs posted:

And really, who can honestly look down upon it "only" having 450 horses? This is the BASE model! There will no doubt be a ZO6 model with god knows how many horses, and maybe even another ZR1 model. Remember, Chevy is still using what is fundamentally a very old engine design yet still seems to be extracting more and more power out of it. All the while keeping the reliability and warranty!

OHV pushrod engines are a relatively modern invention (1949), at least compared to the overhead cam engine (early 1920s).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

The 'Vette - well I expect that to have rocket launchers, machine guns and oil sprays because it's the kinda thing Condorman would drive. drat, every single new picture you guys nail up, the more I just giggle at how stupendously childish (but awesome) it is and how it's a fantasy come to life. And why if I was American I would desperatly want one. If it drives anything like it looks, I would be in fits of hysterical laughter the whole time, peeling out huge burnouts and drifting till the tyres exploded.

GM's advertising department thought the same way about the C6, except that the lawyers made them stop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D95xWahRSM

Yeah, the more I see of the C7, the more I like it. I'd try to goad my dad into upgrading to finagle a deal out of him on his C6, but he had to get the damned automatic :gonk:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Speaking of new cars, anyone else headed to NAIAS?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

movax posted:

I got my tickets and I'm hoping to go next Monday or Tuesday with my girlfriend and her little sister :D. I had to chose between going to the Wings game and the NAIAS, obviously making the best choice here.

Borrowing their Nikon D3200 just for the occasion :swoon:

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 14, 2013

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

movax posted:

I'll be going, probably on a weekday since I work during the weekends and the crowd doesn't seem as bad compared to Sat/Sun.

e: And I just bought a new Nikon myself! Not a fancy DSLR or anything, but a reasonably nice P&S.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 14, 2013

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The C7 looks too busy to me, but if it's all functional I can't really complain. The C2 will probably always be my favorite to look at.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Considering they went with the Stingray moniker, I'm not surprised it looks as cartoonish as it does. To us it's a timeless classic, but when that first Stingray Vette came out, it was probably the craziest looking car you could buy. Some of the styling cues I disagree with, but overall it looks like what it is. Brutish and sharp. Between the Vette and the Viper, most exotic car companies save maybe Lamborghini have been put on notice.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Tusen Takk posted:

I got my tickets and I'm hoping to go next Monday or Tuesday with my girlfriend and her little sister :D. I had to chose between going to the Wings game and the NAIAS, obviously making the best choice here.

Borrowing their Nikon D3200 just for the occasion :swoon:

Yeah, I'm going on Saturday with a few friends. Taking my humble Olympus E-500 with me, I figure its about time I learn to take proper photos.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

Considering they went with the Stingray moniker, I'm not surprised it looks as cartoonish as it does. To us it's a timeless classic, but when that first Stingray Vette came out, it was probably the craziest looking car you could buy. Some of the styling cues I disagree with, but overall it looks like what it is. Brutish and sharp. Between the Vette and the Viper, most exotic car companies save maybe Lamborghini have been put on notice.

Yah back than the Stingray was a really out there car or so I am told from the old men I have chatted with. The Stingray name on the C7 allows a clean break from the somewhat curvy and honestly 90s design of the C5 and the lineage that continued into the C6. There is a photo of the C7 next to a C2 and they do have lots in common in a cool way.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I'm absolutely in love with the new Corvette. It looks like an Aventador and a California had a dirty back alley one night stand and this thing popped out 9 months later.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

movax posted:

I'm going on the 26th. My best friend is now working for the agency that designed GMs entire floorplan for the show so I'm getting a single day pass.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
The part I'm loving so far is the fact that some of the old Corvette guys are pissed about this redesign while the general consensus on the track-oriented portion of rennlist was, "Not bad." Confirms why I seem to like it so much. I really, really hope the fit and finish holds up.

Quick question: Did the removable roof on the C6 fit in the rear hatch?

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

So this is the new Mercedes Benz CLA. I was looking at the starting prices and I think the base model with like 180 hp starts at 28k Euro. It's probably gonna cost as much as a 1-Series here in Canada. Why would anyone buy this when for slightly more/similar money you can get a C-Class or a 3 Series?

If they could price this about the same as a VW Jetta or Golf it would be golden but I can't see a Benz going for that money new in America.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

DerDestroyer posted:

So this is the new Mercedes Benz CLA. I was looking at the starting prices and I think the base model with like 180 hp starts at 28k Euro. It's probably gonna cost as much as a 1-Series here in Canada. Why would anyone buy this when for slightly more/similar money you can get a C-Class or a 3 Series?

If they could price this about the same as a VW Jetta or Golf it would be golden but I can't see a Benz going for that money new in America.

I tend to agree that it doesn't seem very appealing vs spending a few thousand more for an actual C-class unless it's coming well equipped standard without options, but being a German luxury brand I don't have much hope for that. Least it doesn't appear to be resemble a melted bean as much as some of the earlier photos made it appear.

The CLA45AMG that's supposed to be coming could be pretty great if it comes in around $45k, I'd still rather of seen the A45AMG though.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Quick question: Did the removable roof on the C6 fit in the rear hatch?

Yes, I assume the C7 is no different right? That would be pretty silly if you couldn't take the roof with you.

Edit: vv did that ever go into production or was that just for the transformers movie?

Edit: Nope, guess they did offer that for 2009.

davebo fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 15, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

davebo posted:

Yes, I assume the C7 is no different right? That would be pretty silly if you couldn't take the roof with you.

Wouldn't be the first car or first GM where you couldn't. But I would imagine it's the same.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

For the same amount of money and on par performance I would definitely take a CL looking Benz over a regular C class. Probably their nicest line up aside from the SL class.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
ELR is here:

I'm not a fan of the Volt but I think they did a nice job with the exterior styling on this.

I'm not a fan of the center stack or the pigment of the wood with this kind of leather (brushed aluminum would have been a lot safer and more appropriate for a vehicle that pushes future technology as a defining feature), but so it goes.

Bob NewSCART posted:

For the same amount of money and on par performance I would definitely take a CL looking Benz over a regular C class. Probably their nicest line up aside from the SL class.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. The CLA's nose looks too big for the rest of the body to me, and its rear wheel wells don't seem appropriately proportionate to the rear quarter panel. That said, I'm not crazy about the current CLS - I think the squared nose (which I love) doesn't match the tapered/rounded rear - it's like the front of a modern Rolls with the tail of an old XJ. The CLA kind of echos that problem to me. The original CLS feels a lot more stylistically balanced to me. I do like the new A-class, though.

blk fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 15, 2013

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

DerDestroyer posted:

Why would anyone buy this when for slightly more/similar money you can get a C-Class or a 3 Series?

It has a huge Mercedes Benz emblem on the front--that's probably reason enough for some people. I can't help looking at the CLA and thinking it's going to be the new douchebag car to replace Audis.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

blk posted:

ELR is here:

I'm not a fan of the Volt but I think they did a nice job with the exterior styling on this.

I'm a big fan of the Volt and I think this looks great. A little jelly-bean-y but cohesive and conservative styling. I'd absolutely DD that.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
While the C7 comes with either the 7-speed manual or a 6-speed auto, has there been any mention of when they'll be adding a dual-clutch auto option? It seems like a necessary option that all serious performance cars have these days.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

AlmightyPants posted:

While the C7 comes with either the 7-speed manual or a 6-speed auto, has there been any mention of when they'll be adding a dual-clutch auto option? It seems like a necessary option that all serious performance cars have these days.

I doubt it, I don't think GM has a dual clutch gearbox to use. The auto is fine for the mid life crisis buyer or person that doesn't know any better. The enthusiast is going to want the manual.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

AlmightyPants posted:

*edit* my bad, I thought you were talking twin clutch on the manual. Point still stands though.

*LOL edit* Turns out GM knows how much everyone hates the square tail lights. They said they HAD to be shaped that way to allow the cooling ducts in the rear to work. Riiiiiiight.

Wait for the Z51 option. It'll probably have one. What I'm curious about is the transmission as a whole. They claim it's a new transmission, but Tremec has had a 7-speed manual for a while now in medium-duty trucks. Maybe it was re-geared and re-packaged for the C7... It's all up in the air at this point and Tremec isn't talking to anyone about it. Also, naked frame time:

Devyl fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jan 15, 2013

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I think because the transmission is mounted in the rear by the diff the Corvette has special Tremec transmissions that aren't easily swapped with other cars.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Devyl posted:

*LOL edit* Turns out GM knows how much everyone hates the square tail lights. They said they HAD to be shaped that way to allow the cooling ducts in the rear to work. Riiiiiiight.

I was reading an article, I think it was on Car and Driver, where the design lead said that they had tried round lights but it made the car look "old".

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Devyl posted:

Wait for the Z51 option. It'll probably have one. What I'm curious about is the transmission as a whole. They claim it's a new transmission, but Tremec has had a 7-speed manual for a while now in medium-duty trucks. Maybe it was re-geared and re-packaged for the C7... It's all up in the air at this point and Tremec isn't talking to anyone about it.
Porsche has a 7 speed manual and 7 speed dual clutch transmission in the new 911.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 15, 2013

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Man the C7 is absolutely gorgeous. It looks like a Lamborghini-designed Corvette to me, and I am absolutely okay with that. It makes the C6 look as soft and dumpy as the C6 made the C5 look. Yowza.

I've always been a Mustang guy, but if I had to choose between a GT500 or a C7, I'd actually take the C7. I can't believe I'm even saying that.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The Midniter posted:

Man the C7 is absolutely gorgeous. It looks like a Lamborghini-designed Corvette to me, and I am absolutely okay with that. It makes the C6 look as soft and dumpy as the C6 made the C5 look. Yowza.

I've always been a Mustang guy, but if I had to choose between a GT500 or a C7, I'd actually take the C7. I can't believe I'm even saying that.

Honestly, I would probably take the GT500 because it has 4 seats, and because I absolutely love the sound of a whirring supercharger.

Downside is that GT500 has a live rear-axle and is rather heavy.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

Porsche has a 7 speed manual and 7 speed dual clutch transmission in the new 911.

I wonder if the 'vette is getting the same manual, ZF is the supplier for the 911 and the C7 and both are using a 7 speed transaxle.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Muffinpox posted:

I wonder if the 'vette is getting the same manual, ZF is the supplier for the 911 and the C7 and both are using a 7 speed transaxle.

The 7 speed for the C7 is from Tremec. Supposedly custom-built for it.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

Honestly, I would probably take the GT500 because it has 4 seats, and because I absolutely love the sound of a whirring supercharger.

Downside is that GT500 has a live rear-axle and is rather heavy.

Im waiting to see the supposedly Aston-Martin inspired redesign of the Mustang before I decide which car that I can't afford that I would get.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Im waiting to see the supposedly Aston-Martin inspired redesign of the Mustang before I decide which car that I can't afford that I would get.

Im in the same boat.
I love the new corvette, but the reason I got rid of the previous vette was I just couldnt do a 2 seat car any longer.
I really hope Ford ditches the retro look. If so the next mustang might be something I seriously consider.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Muffinpox posted:

Is the 911 transmission really a transaxle? It's rear engined and the gearbox attaches straight to the motor, not to a torque tube, I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

drgitlin posted:

Is the 911 transmission really a transaxle? It's rear engined and the gearbox attaches straight to the motor, not to a torque tube, I thought.

Transaxle just means it incorporates a transmission and differential in one unit. FWD boxes are transaxles as well.