Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Measly Twerp posted:

I'm loving loving this arse.

To be honest, it's better looking in grey than it was in red, but it just seems like they've made it into a caricature of what it used to be, and I half expected them to be sold as miniatures only with the way it looked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

PopeOnARope posted:

To be honest, it's better looking in grey than it was in red, but it just seems like they've made it into a caricature of what it used to be, and I half expected them to be sold as miniatures only with the way it looked.

Really? Because it's the best looking modern corvette(since the C3 to C4 switch in design) by a mile. Actually looks like a properly stylized car.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
It doesn't like a cheap piece of poo poo anymore. Me likes.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Saw this guy at MicroCenter the other day.

Well, *I* think it's pretty awesome AI poo poo.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Bob NewSCART posted:

Really? Because it's the best looking modern corvette(since the C3 to C4 switch in design) by a mile. Actually looks like a properly stylized car.

It actually looks like a premium sports car now, I'll give you that. The C5/C6 looked a little cheap by comparison. But the C7 is still a disjointed, over-styled mess that looks like it was penned by a 10 year old with ADHD.

That said, I want to see this thing in some proper, dark colors. Switching from Red to Gray alone made the styling come across better to my eye, a good dark blue might just salvage that thing.

Dinosorcerer
Sep 2, 2011
Keeping up with the Joneses AI style. Also, my car may have snuck into the shot

Bit of back story of sorts: I drive past these every day and usually there's usually a Commodore and Falcon station wagon next to each Porsche, to add to the symmetry. I meant to get a picture for the longest time but the Porsche on the right disappeared about 2 months ago. It reappeared yesterday so I took the chance while I could.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

Yeah I did, and they're actually a crapload cheaper. She, on the other hand, wants a naturally made diamond since it's soooo romantic to have something that's been waiting since the beginning of time to be on her finger :smith:

Explain to her the process that goes in to mining "natural" diamonds (explaining what "blood diamonds" are is really super in this case) and that diamonds are actually rather plentiful, and are only considered "rare" because the cartels artificially limit supply.

"Honey, did you know an African Warlord cut off a slave miner's finger for your diamond? It's so special!"

Oh, and created diamonds are better than "natural" ones, as created diamonds all have a perfect structure.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Dinosorcerer posted:

Keeping up with the Joneses AI style. Also, my car may have snuck into the shot

Bit of back story of sorts: I drive past these every day and usually there's usually a Commodore and Falcon station wagon next to each Porsche, to add to the symmetry. I meant to get a picture for the longest time but the Porsche on the right disappeared about 2 months ago. It reappeared yesterday so I took the chance while I could.

Need more pics of your car actually.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

InitialDave posted:

Ever heard the phrase "God is my co-pilot"? Well, apparently he's a mechanic, too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-21009301

I love slow news days.

"Your move, Catholics." :smug:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It somehow doesn't surprise me that a British car needed an act of God to start.

Dinosorcerer
Sep 2, 2011

Bob NewSCART posted:

Need more pics of your car actually.

Well, I have posted these before, but it was ages ago.

I also (perhaps foolishly?) drive this car every day.

I should have some good pictures and stories for you guys in a couple of months from this: http://www.racewars.com.au/ which I've entered (but will not win). And yes, the name is a F&F joke.

I'm normally about corners, but you don't often get a chance to go for a top speed run on an airstrip.

Here are some of the other cars that are coming along Entrants (Facebook link)

Sample:

<- If you look closely you might be able to see the turbo on this one.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

:kimchi:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Had a camera on me so I took this Saturday.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Hey, at least she's not like my friend's cousin, who told us all at dinner once, in no uncertain terms, that if her would-be-fiancé didn't get her a diamond worth at least three months' salary she would leave him on the spot. That would be around twenty thousand dollars for the poor guy (not in attendance that night) she was dating at the time. Because anything less than that would show that he didn't respect her, you see.

(Unless $4k IS three months' salary for you, in which case, I truly admire your commitment to this girl)

Nah, to be honest she'd be hunky dory with a third of a carat that cost $400 if it was all that I could afford. The way that I see it is, this ring will hopefully last for the rest of our lives. If I'm more than willing to pay $10,000 for a DD that I will get maybe 10-15 years out of, how much should I spend to show the girl of my dreams that I'll love her forever and not have that lil speck of a diamond from "when we were poor kids with no money"?

She doesn't even know I have that much money, I've been squirreling it away at another bank, so for all she knows I have $2,000 in savings right now and no plans to get engaged any time soon. She's gonna be really, really surprised :)

edit: I find myself liking Challengers more and more, even though they're fat pigs and made by Chrysler.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Tusen Takk posted:

Nah, to be honest she'd be hunky dory with a third of a carat that cost $400 if it was all that I could afford. The way that I see it is, this ring will hopefully last for the rest of our lives. If I'm more than willing to pay $10,000 for a DD that I will get maybe 10-15 years out of, how much should I spend to show the girl of my dreams that I'll love her forever and not have that lil speck of a diamond from "when we were poor kids with no money"?

She doesn't even know I have that much money, I've been squirreling it away at another bank, so for all she knows I have $2,000 in savings right now and no plans to get engaged any time soon. She's gonna be really, really surprised :)

edit: I find myself liking Challengers more and more, even though they're fat pigs and made by Chrysler.

Wrong thread and all, but none of that really screams long-term success in that relationship.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

EightBit posted:

Wrong thread and all, but none of that really screams long-term success in that relationship.

It's the Cliffnotes version, we've been together for three years and we knew we wanted to get next year, but she's expecting a ring next Christmas or near there; I decided to surprise her. And yeah wrong thread, my bad. I had a picture of a cat sitting in a massive muffler pipe but I lost the link.

Also, I am extremely jealous of that white GT-R; it's beautiful :swoon:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Actually, is that a GT-R? I know the lower model Skylines are common in Australia.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Dinosorcerer posted:

Well, I have posted these before, but it was ages ago.

I also (perhaps foolishly?) drive this car every day.

I should have some good pictures and stories for you guys in a couple of months from this: http://www.racewars.com.au/ which I've entered (but will not win). And yes, the name is a F&F joke.

I'm normally about corners, but you don't often get a chance to go for a top speed run on an airstrip.

Here are some of the other cars that are coming along Entrants (Facebook link)

Sample:

<- If you look closely you might be able to see the turbo on this one.

Every picture in this post is sick. What kind/how much work have you done on your car and what year is it?

Dinosorcerer
Sep 2, 2011

Bob NewSCART posted:

Every picture in this post is sick. What kind/how much work have you done on your car and what year is it?

Well, it's a '94 GTR, so one of the last R32s made (which has the benefits of the newer RB26 design that reduces the oil starvation problems the earlier ones have). I haven't done much at all to it, especially compared to what most people do here in WA where 500hp is the norm.

I've got a Power FC controlling stock turbos at 1bar with a bunch of fuel delivery improvements and Tomei Poncams, which it turns out are a bit of a waste on stock turbos. That gets me 340-380hp depending on the dyno. (I think it's closer to 340 though unfortunately)

Handles pretty well thanks to Tein Monoflex coilovers, camber arms back and front, some fancy DBA rotors with Endless pads and 355/45 Dunlop Star Spec Z1's.

Does the job getting me to work every day and going fast on the track so I guess that's alright.

And so this isn't just words here's a clone in Japan.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I think the new Corvette is a quantum leap ahead of the C6 and the love it / hate it reactions mean that it's here to stay. If they resolve the quality problems with the previous models they'll have a real winner on their hands, and this is coming from a guy who at one point would have considered flying a 747 into the RenCen.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
And now for something almost but quite entirely unlike a Corvette

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDf7Z6owb38

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Das Volk posted:

I think the new Corvette is a quantum leap ahead of the C6 and the love it / hate it reactions mean that it's here to stay.

It looks like a Dreamcast render with a bad CD. I expect to hear either Rob Zombie or an Amiga MODfile every drat time I see a shot of this new generation.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
From a technical aspect, the C7 makes me happy. I'm absolutely FLOORED that Chevrolet put this much effort into the Corvette. It's just that body style that I can't get over yet. Maybe I just need some more time with it. Enjoy some awesome high-res parts pics!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Devyl posted:

From a technical aspect, the C7 makes me happy. I'm absolutely FLOORED that Chevrolet put this much effort into the Corvette.

You're amazed that GM's halo sports car deserved the amount of effort it's gotten?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Considering previous generations of the Corvette? Yes. Guess I should've seen it coming though with the ZR1 and the ZL1 & 1LE Camaro.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Tusen Takk posted:

Yeah I did, and they're actually a crapload cheaper. She, on the other hand, wants a naturally made diamond since it's soooo romantic to have something that's been waiting since the beginning of time to be on her finger :smith:

You sure about this girl...?

vvvv
I shouldn't have said anything.
vvvv

anonumos fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 15, 2013

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

anonumos posted:

You sure about this girl...?

I'm not sure what you're getting at. He's a 20 year old guy who lives with his parents and spends thousands of dollars in mods on a salvage Saturn that was rolled, while simultaneously hiding money in a separate account from his girlfriend so that she won't know he's going to spend money on a diamond for her even though she has an exact timeline for when she expects to receive the ring -- sounds like a match made in heaven. Til death do they part.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The rear end of the new vette looks super complicated. God I miss the days where cars could be worked on by the owner.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

kylej posted:

I'm not sure what you're getting at. He's a 20 year old guy who lives with his parents and spends thousands of dollars in mods on a salvage Saturn that was rolled, while simultaneously hiding money in a separate account from his girlfriend so that she won't know he's going to spend money on a diamond for her even though she has an exact timeline for when she expects to receive the ring -- sounds like a match made in heaven. Til death do they part.

:ssh: I don't know if you read my entire thread or not but I'm guessing you didn't since you never saw the part where I've only put $700 into it since I bought it and never was actually going to put any money into it :ssh:. Also I'm almost 22 thank you very much! :colbert:

Devyl posted:

Considering previous generations of the Corvette? Yes. Guess I should've seen it coming though with the ZR1 and the ZL1 & 1LE Camaro.

GM has really stepped up their game, especially with all the European and Japanese sports cars that it's competing with on top of the American Pony cars. I wish that they'd do more with the sport compact lines, though I do think the new Buick Regal RS is incredibly good looking :allears:. I'd really love to see an AWD Rallysport come out of the American car companies, GM especially. Ford has the Focus that it can play with, and it looks like they've made an AWD Fusion that looks like a baby Jaguar/Aston Martin/Evo X mashup.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Not going to lie, that Ford Fusion looks pretty cool

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't believe you can get the AWD Fusion with a manual transmission. At least not yet.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I don't believe you can get the AWD Fusion with a manual transmission. At least not yet.

This is correct :smith:. Also, it starts at $30,000 for the Titanium (top-tier trim), so unless they go all GM and cheap out on the interior, a Fusion with better performance specs may be way more expensive than even, say, an STi or an Evo.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Willfrey posted:

Not going to lie, that Ford Fusion looks pretty cool

Glad you like it, because the 2015 Mustang will be taking some serious styling cues from it. I have a feeling when it finally gets revealed, it'll be in the same three threads as the C7 Corvette.

Tusen Takk posted:

GM has really stepped up their game, especially with all the European and Japanese sports cars that it's competing with on top of the American Pony cars. I wish that they'd do more with the sport compact lines, though I do think the new Buick Regal RS is incredibly good looking :allears:. I'd really love to see an AWD Rallysport come out of the American car companies, GM especially. Ford has the Focus that it can play with, and it looks like they've made an AWD Fusion that looks like a baby Jaguar/Aston Martin/Evo X mashup.

I'd like to credit the GT-R 35 for that; as it dominated everything put against it for the first year or two it was out. Rally racing isn't too popular on the American side... Yet. Red Bull and Monster are in the process of changing that though, with people like Travis Pastrana & Ken Block making huge splashes with all the kids now.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 15, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Devyl posted:

Glad you like it, because the 2015 Mustang will be taking some serious styling cues from it. I have a feeling when it finally gets revealed, it'll be in the same three threads as the C7 Corvette.

I'd like to credit the GT-R 35 for that; as it dominated everything put against it for the first year or two it was out. Rally racing isn't too popular on the American side... Yet. Red Bull and Monster are in the process of changing that though, with people like Travis Pastrana & Ken Block making huge splashes with all the kids now.

I never really thought of that till you mentioned it; I've always considered the GT-R R35 as a supercar only slightly more obtainable than a Lambo or an Aston Martin. Isn't the cheapest model like $90,000? I'm glad Red Bull and Monster are getting more people into it, I've noticed that alot of my friends that I grew up surfing(in Australia), skateboarding, and longboarding with have moved from extreme sports to things like drift-events and Rallysport events. At least Petrolheads are getting to be better thought of than just rednecks who want to go fast, though here in Detroit, where a huge amount of people have some sort of hot rod or classic car, it's more common to be a Petrolhead then when I was in Australia.

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 15, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tusen Takk posted:

This is correct :smith:. Also, it starts at $30,000 for the Titanium (top-tier trim), so unless they go all GM and cheap out on the interior, a Fusion with better performance specs may be way more expensive than even, say, an STi or an Evo.

Well it should be, the Fusion isn't in the same segment as the Impreza or Lancer. But hey maybe we're seeing the beginning of performance variants across whole lines instead of one or two models.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Tusen Takk posted:

I never really thought of that till you mentioned it; I've always considered the GT-R R35 as a supercar only slightly more obtainable than a Lambo or an Aston Martin. Isn't the cheapest model like $90,000? I'm glad Red Bull and Monster are getting more people into it, I've noticed that alot of my friends that I grew up surfing(in Australia), skateboarding, and longboarding with have moved from extreme sports to things like drift-events and Rallysport events. At least Petrolheads are getting to be better thought of than just rednecks who want to go fast, though here in Detroit, where a huge amount of people have some sort of hot rod or classic car, it's more common to be a Petrolhead then when I was in Australia.

Brand new you're looking at around 95k plus dealer mark-up. Depending on the alignment of the stars and planets, you can get an '09 or '10 model for around $50,000 used. I want one so bad too. Yeah, it's becoming the big thing here in the states to find top-tier athletes in extreme sports and shove them in a Subaru/Ford on a rally course to get big profits. Of course, there's also the video game sponsorships. For example Vaughn Gitten Jr. and his role in NFS:S2. Great game, but you can't bypass the screens of him talking and plastered in Ford & Falken logos. Of course he does drift and was never an extreme sports athlete, but you get where I'm going with this.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 15, 2013

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey
The NSX concept was unveiled (again) today, but with an interior this time.

http://jalopnik.com/5976121/take-a-look-inside-the-next-acura-nsx/gallery/1

It looks better to me than most stuff, but at a speculated $120k, it looks kind of bland from most angles. That coupled with an automatic hybrid drivetrain push me away.

That fuckin' interior is gorgeous though.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

:ssh: I don't know if you read my entire thread or not but I'm guessing you didn't since you never saw the part where I've only put $700 into it since I bought it and never was actually going to put any money into it :ssh:. Also I'm almost 22 thank you very much! :colbert:

Don't let them get you down dude; 22 is a perfect time to start your first marriage.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

GTi_guy posted:

The NSX concept was unveiled (again) today, but with an interior this time.

http://jalopnik.com/5976121/take-a-look-inside-the-next-acura-nsx/gallery/1

It looks better to me than most stuff, but at a speculated $120k, it looks kind of bland from most angles. That coupled with an automatic hybrid drivetrain push me away.

That fuckin' interior is gorgeous though.

I see a ton of Audi R8 in the body design. I guess that's old news by now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

MikeyTsi posted:

Don't let them get you down dude; 22 is a perfect time to start your first marriage.
Haaaa. My mother told me when I was 18 that I wasn't allowed to get married until I was at least 26. She was so right.