Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Weddings are not AI, unless we're talking about those Australian weddings where the bridal procession is a bunch of Holdens or Rotaries or whatever the gently caress you guys do in the awesome upside-down country.

Devyl posted:

Considering previous generations of the Corvette? Yes. Guess I should've seen it coming though with the ZR1 and the ZL1 & 1LE Camaro.

Not that the C6 was exactly a piece of poo poo but let's face it, the GM of today (and the rest of the automotive market) is very different than it was in 2004 when they rolled out the 2005 C6. The C6 came into a GM that had no other serious performance cars; there was the GTO, but it never even sold as many units as the Corvette. The Camaro had been dead since it was finally euthanized in 2002, and wouldn't return until 2009 as a 2010. The Kappa cars hadn't come out yet but they were never going to be any serious concern.

Outside of GM, the S197 Mustang still had the wheezy mod-motor and the GT500 had yet to show up. There was the GT, but it stickered at 2-3x the price of a base C6. A regular 911 was still ~75hp down on the cheaper Corvette.

Since then, you now have ~400hp V8 Mustangs and Camaros, with suspension tuned well enough to make a base C6 check its mirrors. You've got 550hp CTS-Vs, Camaro ZL1s, and your pick of the Boss 302 or the current GT500, that will properly scare any Corvette that isn't a C6 Z06 or ZR1. The Viper is back.

The C7, for better or for worse, should present enough of an improvement in performance to pretty easily jump back on top of most (if not all) of those competitors, and that's before we see what the C7 Z06 and ZR1 look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOwnCalculus posted:

Weddings are not AI, unless we're talking about those Australian weddings where the bridal procession is a bunch of Holdens or Rotaries or whatever the gently caress you guys do in the awesome upside-down country.

What, you mean like this? :q:

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Daveh posted:

They do have...a tracked Land Rover, however which are both pretty cool

I know it's from a couple of pages ago but that's called a Cuthbertson conversion. Here's a picture of another along with a Forest Rover. I'd love to get behind a wheel of the later. The Forest Rovers were commissioned by the RAF I believe and only a few were made. The original 'Big Foot'?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I thought the Forest Rovers were commissioned by the Forestry Commission? No, really, that's not a pun, I thought that was the case.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

You Am I posted:

What, you mean like this? :q:

And this...

http://youtu.be/OOOOHX9DnOg

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

MikeyTsi posted:

Don't let them get you down dude; 22 is a perfect time to start your first marriage.

drat, I got married at barely 19. 23 years ago, so I guess I picked a good one. She still wears the .26 carat ring that was all I could afford at the time. That was a huge purchase for a guy still in high school. poo poo, I just realized my own son is less than 2 years away from being the same age I was when I proposed. drat, I'm old.
If I was buying a ring today I wouldn't be buying a diamond, that's for sure.

InitialDave posted:

I thought the Forest Rovers were commissioned by the Forestry Commission? No, really, that's not a pun, I thought that was the case.

You are right. I don't know what I was thinking. I still think they're pretty sweet for a 'factory' truck.

edit: How did I never realize that the rear track width was over a foot narrower than the front?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
sorry, posted this in it's own thread because I couldn't find the cell phone pic thread... realized it should probably go here.

Here's an abandoned Porsche GT2 RS in my parking structure at work, guessing it's owned by a VP of ours. the plate on the dash says it's #382/500

http://imgur.com/a/4qSO3

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

GT2 RS: Awesome
Owner who doesn't use it: Lame

The GT2RS is not the worlds most practical car but it does actually have more storage space than your average Ferrari. I'd just be worried about ripping the splitter off leaving parking lots.

Supercars need to be used.

Edit: drat it. I need a Spa day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaF7nLiBLgo

Aurune fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 16, 2013

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yeah, but that's New Zealand, so it doesn't count :v:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbgjRBT4ltM

Technical suspension black magic :allears:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

'78 Camper Special with 460 V8, '70s air horns, lights, cb, gun racks, mudflaps, etc. poo poo, how can I NOT buy this?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

'78 Camper Special with 460 V8, '70s air horns, lights, cb, gun racks, mudflaps, etc. poo poo, how can I NOT buy this?

That is awesome.

And you never have to worry about losing your keys, because the ignition cylinder is conveniently located near the bottom of the dash so you can pop the connector off the back and get it going with 2 paper clips. Just like in the movies.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
Edit: Posted in wrong thread, so have three boxes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

meatpimp posted:

Why haven't you bought this yet? What are you waiting for?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

sadnessboner posted:

So it's apparently all over for the Australian RWD Sedan. Production of both the Commodore and Falcon are looking to end in 2016:

http://www.news.com.au/business/companies/end-of-the-road-for-ford-falcon-and-holden-commodore-in-2016/story-fnda1bsz-1226554833139

you probably meant this for the news thread

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Hog Obituary posted:

you probably meant this for the news thread

I certainly did. Two SA tabs open is one more than I can manage

sports
Sep 1, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gBxdfUs8v0

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Carteret posted:

Technical suspension black magic :allears:

Christian really loves his cars. Some more close ups of the rear suspension layout.

http://i.imgur.com/Of6vb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FSpZO.jpg

Edit: VV If you ever get the honor of meeting him in person. He'll talk you ear off about any detail you like. Awesome guy. VV

Aurune fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 16, 2013

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Aurune posted:

Christian really loves his cars. Some more close ups of the rear suspension layout.

He has every right to be. They are amazing; not just to drive, but even to just pop the hood/trunk and just look at all the shiny engineering.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've never really liked koenigseggs as cars overall but the tech is really quite remarkable, and they seem to go out of their way to design elegant engineered solutions to problems rather than throwing electronics at everything. I'm surprised the suspension arms are steel rods rather than alloy castings though.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I think the styling of Koenigseggs is just really off. I appreciate what's behind it, but it looks too much like some unlicensed Ridge Racer car for me. :smith:

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Octopus Magic posted:

I think the styling of Koenigseggs is just really off. I appreciate what's behind it, but it looks too much like some unlicensed Ridge Racer car for me. :smith:

Pictures really don't do the Agera R justice. It looks amazing in person. There are all sorts of subtle details you just can't see in pictures. The real deal breaker for me is complete lack of a trunk. It has a storage space for the roof and that's it. I don't expect Ford Windstar size storage, but if I want to take a duffle bag with me on the weekend, I expect that to be possible.

That being said, since Koenigsegg does their own engine mods. Which means, I want a CNG version so I can take it in the California HOV lane and frighten Volts.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Also, Koenigsegg is trying to bust the Veyron's balls at the top speed record.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Octopus Magic posted:

But aren't all Ridge Racer cars merely imitations of real cars?

Also someone did actually make a real version of the Soldat Gamp Raggio from Ridge Racer (At least they did the body, not sure what was underneath):

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

cheese-cube posted:

But aren't all Ridge Racer cars merely imitations of real cars?

Also someone did actually make a real version of the Soldat Gamp Raggio from Ridge Racer (At least they did the body, not sure what was underneath):

It looks like an NSX, but the B Pillar and window look wrong.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's probably a Fiero.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Aurune posted:

Edit: VV If you ever get the honor of meeting him in person. He'll talk you ear off about any detail you like. Awesome guy. VV

What advantage does this third damper have over a Z-bar? And doesn't this car need a Z-bar anyway for the downforce from the aero? A damper alone isn't going to actually resist the force, right?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Throatwarbler posted:

What advantage does this third damper have over a Z-bar? And doesn't this car need a Z-bar anyway for the downforce from the aero? A damper alone isn't going to actually resist the force, right?

Watch the video. It's got a z-bar as well. The damper counteracts the z-bar in straight lines on bumpy roads when only one wheel hits a bump, but doesn't do anything during cornering. Pretty slick.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Devyl posted:

Brand new you're looking at around 95k plus dealer mark-up. Depending on the alignment of the stars and planets, you can get an '09 or '10 model for around $50,000 used. I want one so bad too. Yeah, it's becoming the big thing here in the states to find top-tier athletes in extreme sports and shove them in a Subaru/Ford on a rally course to get big profits. Of course, there's also the video game sponsorships. For example Vaughn Gitten Jr. and his role in NFS:S2. Great game, but you can't bypass the screens of him talking and plastered in Ford & Falken logos. Of course he does drift and was never an extreme sports athlete, but you get where I'm going with this.

When it came out in 2008 as a MY2009 the GTR started at $76k MSRP. Back then (remember? :corsair:) people were comparing it to the top tier Corvette in the sense that you were getting a 911 Turbo killer for the price of an M3-with-sunroof-and-nav. This was also true to the spirit of the original Skyline GTRs. Today it starts at close to 6 figures, probably due to a combo of a rapidly appreciating Yen and Nissan figuring out they could actually make a lot more money off this thing if they weren't giving them away for free. I mean it's still cheaper than a 911 Turbo right?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Watch the video. It's got a z-bar as well. The damper counteracts the z-bar in straight lines on bumpy roads when only one wheel hits a bump, but doesn't do anything during cornering. Pretty slick.

I like how it achieves pretty much the same result as the hydraulic roll "bars" on the Mclaren MP4-12C, but in a rather different way. Roll stiffness is very high while being really supple over bumps, which is nice.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

Why haven't you bought this yet? What are you waiting for?

A whole lot more hosed up than pictures showed. :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

I like how it achieves pretty much the same result as the hydraulic roll "bars" on the Mclaren MP4-12C, but in a rather different way. Roll stiffness is very high while being really supple over bumps, which is nice.

In any racing series where that type of setup is allowed, it's actually one of the most critical bits of the setup, and it's where a great race engineer separates themselves from the good ones.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
My dad has an 85 Chevrolet Scottsdale camper special. Its a stupid piece of poo poo despite having only 29K miles on it. I've driven more than one and its far better to just pick up the newest 1/2 ton full size you can. Emissions carbs, rare tire sizes, awful gearing, crappy big truck automatics.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

IOwnCalculus posted:

In any racing series where that type of setup is allowed, it's actually one of the most critical bits of the setup, and it's where a great race engineer separates themselves from the good ones.

I guess the old-fashioned way to do it is by using soft springs, stiff dampers and fat roll bars, at least for road cars. Substitute the soft springs for stiff ones for a race car.

But stuff like what Mclaren and Koenigsegg are doing is a whole other ballgame. Citron did something like that with their hydropneumatic suspension on special trim levels. Soft and supple over bumps, but completely flat in the corners. Such a shame they just went back to "all comfort, all the time" with their newer cars.

DixielandDelight
Jul 23, 2012

Sir Cornelius posted:

You can, provided that the rear is sufficiently supported. I'm a lot more skeptical about the mounting angle. He's using about half of his float-bowl volume. Christ, I'm glad I don't have to tune that thing.

Can somebody explain this to a three year old

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

DixielandDelight posted:

Can somebody explain this to a three year old

Those carburetors are designed to be mounted horizontally, not at an angle. Thus the float bowls can't hold the volume they're designed for, and there may be funny things happening with fuel distribution.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
want

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Big, modern wheels just never seem to look right on classic cars.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Das Volk posted:

Big, modern wheels just never seem to look right on classic cars.

but the fact that the suspension is gone along with the chrome and handles isn't that big of a deal amirite?

I don't, and will never understand this 'make your car less reliable' trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

West SAAB Story posted:

but the fact that the suspension is gone along with the chrome and handles isn't that big of a deal amirite?

I don't, and will never understand this 'make your car less reliable' trend.

I'd imagine it's the same reason people thing Desert Eagle .50 AE are cool guns. It's a step away from normal. But some just don't understand which direction in the AI plane it goes in.