Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

How do I disable Java? I tried unchecking the runtimes in the console but that does diddly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Is there a program that will allow me to delegate which audio output a program can use?

I'd like to be able to play music out of my speakers, but, for example, have my iPhone headphones plugged in so that Skype uses its headphones/mic.

Is this possible? 2010 MBP if that matters.

Edit: Found a program called WireTap but I don't think it's what I'm looking for, and it's expensive as hell, so hopefully someone can guide me.

decypher fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 11, 2013

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

decypher posted:

Edit: Found a program called WireTap but I don't think it's what I'm looking for, and it's expensive as hell, so hopefully someone can guide me.

You could try Soundflower and see if it works for you:
http://cycling74.com/products/soundflower/

I had good luck with it doing some things - not sure if it will do exactly what you want though.

Edit: To be clear, I think your Mac doesn't see headphones and speakers as two separate audio outputs - just one. So, I don't think you can use both at the same time, but I could be wrong. Interesting question.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

~Coxy posted:

Got a weird thing happening on the gf's Mac.
Lately the system time (in the menubar, etc.) has started falling behind.

Going into Sys Prefs and presumably forcing a ntp sync obviously fixes it.

Anyone seen this before?
Is there a way to make ntp sync more often?

Is the time still updating at all? My menu bar clock "freezes" randomly and running "killall SystemUIServer" fixes it temporarily... or is your problem different?

Ketheriel
May 28, 2007
My wife deleted all her stuff off the hard drive on hermmacbook. She is running mountain lion and has never backed anything up. Ive advised her to not do anything with it. What is the best file recovery software out there right now for this kind of thing?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I've used Data Rescue 3 in an enterprise environment with success. Boot the Macbook into Target Disk mode and use another Mac to recover the data. Once you recover her data, setup Time Machine and CrashPlan ASAP for her and yourself.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Softcox posted:

Is the time still updating at all? My menu bar clock "freezes" randomly and running "killall SystemUIServer" fixes it temporarily... or is your problem different?

Yeah, the system time was actually wrong.
I should have restarted before trying this, but I edited ntp.conf and made it poll the time server every 2 minutes, then restarted. It seems to be fixed now.

decypher posted:

Is there a program that will allow me to delegate which audio output a program can use?

I'd like to be able to play music out of my speakers, but, for example, have my iPhone headphones plugged in so that Skype uses its headphones/mic.

I don't believe it's possible for any program to use the speakers at all when there's headphones plugged in.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

~Coxy posted:

I don't believe it's possible for any program to use the speakers at all when there's headphones plugged in.

I think this can be somewhat bypassed with USB. I think it's possible to use either USB headphones or speakers.

I've read this around, but I'm unable to confirm it personally.

I might be interested in combining USB speakers with headphones in the audio socket at the back of the iMac. Does anyone know if it's possible to switch to USB audio with the headphone jack in use in the iMac?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

theadder posted:

I think this can be somewhat bypassed with USB. I think it's possible to use either USB headphones or speakers.

I might be interested in combining USB speakers with headphones in the audio socket at the back of the iMac. Does anyone know if it's possible to switch to USB audio with the headphone jack in use in the iMac?

You can either choose USB sound or inboard sound, but I'm pretty sure you can't do both.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

decypher posted:

One thing you could do is to play the music out of external speakers via airplay to AppleTV and then use your headphones for Skype.

Which brings me to different issue. I recently discovered ClickToPlugIn extensions for Safari which allow you to airplay Safari content to your AppleTV. I can't get it to work though. I can mirror my PC to my appleTV, but I can't get it to work via the extension. I have renamed my appleTV and replaced the host name in all the appropriate places. It doesn't explicitly say it supports the 3rd generation AppleTV so maybe that is the problem. Is anyone using this extension with a 3rd generation AppleTV?

Edit: Never mind, I hadn't clicked all the appropriate boxes in all the extension menus and now it's working great, and it's phenomenal.

Suqit fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 11, 2013

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

theadder posted:

Yeah, this you can do. If the program doesn't let you choose an output device, you can route it with Soundflower or Audio Hijack.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Kenny Logins posted:

I just got a new portable USB 3.0 hard drive (MyPassport 2TB) as a late Christmas gift to myself and have been in the process of formatting and attempting to move over my media and Time Machine partitions from my current external USB 2.0 hard drive (WD Elements 1TB).

Last night I started the copy/paste of the Time Machine data after formatting a partition on the new drive. I saw it get to about 1/3 or 1/2 way through the ~145GB transfer before going to bed. I had plugged my 2011 MBA into AC power, gone into power settings and set "computer sleep" to never, unchecked "put hard drives to sleep when possible" and left display sleep at something like 15 minutes. When I checked this morning there was an error that had interrupted it, where the HD had ejected somehow.

I decided to try deleting the interrupted TM backup from the new TM partition and try again later. It's still making its way through that now but in the meantime I tried copying over my old media partition to the new partition for that. I checked on it remotely from work and after about an hour I got the same error.

Now the drive is unmounted and isn't showing up anymore under System Information, which didn't happen this morning. I'm not at home yet to unplug and replug the drive, agonizingly.

I've never had any problems with this WD drive before, is this something to do with interaction between USB 2.0 and 3.0, or does it sound like it's getting to the end of the road?

EDIT: Clarified a couple things.
It might be choking on Time Machine's system of hard links, I have no clue whether the Finder works properly to copy TM folders around like you want. If you definitely need to keep everything I guess you could try a block level clone with Disk Utility, or Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper for a little more guidance. (CCC went shareware so I'm not entirely sure what's available in it during the demo though)

iostream.h posted:

It suddenly occurred that they're serving images remotely based on my ip? Would that work? It's kind of freaking me out cause I don't use that email for ANYTHING.
Same thing happened a few months back, and yeah I got a few more recently too. My wild guess is that spammers are just trying their existing emails but with me/iCloud/whatever.com at the end now and just hoping they work.

As for the image, do you mean you're seeing something like a jpg/gif showing "your ip is [your ip]"? If so those are just generated on the fly by the webserver (which knows your ip since you're requesting the image, and needs it to know where to send the bits to), it's an old trick, as seen here.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

~Coxy posted:

Yeah, this you can do. If the program doesn't let you choose an output device, you can route it with Soundflower or Audio Hijack.

It's definitely possible to make use of USB speakers and switch between those and the always plugged in headphones? I have no interest in the bad sound quality of a USB headset and the sound quality of the speakers matters less to me, since they see a lot less use. Ideally, I'd like to be able to switch in the OS easily and globally for all programs.

Thanks.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah they'll show up as a separate output.

Keep in mind if you already have speakers you could get whatever cheap USB audio adapter rather than some random crappy USB speakers, on the other hand there's bus powered USB ones which would be nice if you plan to use them portably.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

japtor posted:

Yeah they'll show up as a separate output.

Keep in mind if you already have speakers you could get whatever cheap USB audio adapter rather than some random crappy USB speakers, on the other hand there's bus powered USB ones which would be nice if you plan to use them portably.

OK. Thanks. It's a solution for a potential iMac and it will never move anywhere and so portability is not a concern.

It would be bad USB speakers replacing bad non-USB speakers.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

theadder posted:

Ideally, I'd like to be able to switch in the OS easily and globally for all programs.

Yep, globally changing sound output is easy as anything.

Sys Prefs:

Option-click the sound icon in the menubar:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

japtor posted:

It might be choking on Time Machine's system of hard links, I have no clue whether the Finder works properly to copy TM folders around like you want. If you definitely need to keep everything I guess you could try a block level clone with Disk Utility, or Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper for a little more guidance. (CCC went shareware so I'm not entirely sure what's available in it during the demo though)
Thanks for your input. Since posting I figured things out after several long hours. Basically, I was able to get it to within the last 5GB by following Apple's instructions using a Finder drag-and-drop copy, where the progress bar froze. Agonizing.

For anyone else, as mentioned, doing a "restore" clone using Disk Utility is what ended up working. Perfectly, first try. Note that it clones the name of the partition as well but you can just change that afterwards in Get Info with no adverse effects on TM performance.

I looked at CCC and while it may work, the FAQs on their site seem really antsy over promising that a CCC block level clone will work, but it probably would.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

theadder posted:

OK. Thanks. It's a solution for a potential iMac and it will never move anywhere and so portability is not a concern.

It would be bad USB speakers replacing bad non-USB speakers.
Well whatever the case a cheap decent regular speaker + cheap USB adapter is another route.

Kenny Logins posted:

Thanks for your input. Since posting I figured things out after several long hours. Basically, I was able to get it to within the last 5GB by following Apple's instructions using a Finder drag-and-drop copy, where the progress bar froze. Agonizing.

For anyone else, as mentioned, doing a "restore" clone using Disk Utility is what ended up working. Perfectly, first try. Note that it clones the name of the partition as well but you can just change that afterwards in Get Info with no adverse effects on TM performance.

I looked at CCC and while it may work, the FAQs on their site seem really antsy over promising that a CCC block level clone will work, but it probably would.
Tried doing disk checks before all this? I wonder if there's some funkiness that caused it to choke with the Finder, block copies generally just say gently caress it and copy everything over since they don't necessarily see the file system and any issues that might be there. Other than the Disk Utility check, I think Time Machine has a verify backups thing somewhere, although searching around that might be for Time Capsules while local disks should do it automatically. I guess just make sure it's backing up and not silently skipping or giving errors.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

japtor posted:

Well whatever the case a cheap decent regular speaker + cheap USB adapter is another route.

Tried doing disk checks before all this? I wonder if there's some funkiness that caused it to choke with the Finder, block copies generally just say gently caress it and copy everything over since they don't necessarily see the file system and any issues that might be there. Other than the Disk Utility check, I think Time Machine has a verify backups thing somewhere, although searching around that might be for Time Capsules while local disks should do it automatically. I guess just make sure it's backing up and not silently skipping or giving errors.
I had it verify both the old and new TM partitions and they checked out fine. I think the likely culprit is that the Apple instructions don't say you should deselect the old drive from TM preferences, so that TM lies unconfigured during the whole process.

I've since tested the new TM partition and it can go back all the way to the day I bought my MBA just fine. You do have a point about silent errors/skips but it appears I got lucky this time.

This process took much, much more time than I'd thought.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

~Coxy posted:

Option-click the sound icon in the menubar:

Holy poo poo that is awesome, i had no idea you could do that. Thanks for the tip!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Anyone run into a problem where full screening flash content... doesn't actually full screen it? It's seems to occupy the top-left corner, with white space for the remainder.

It happened on two separate Macs tonight, so I can't assume it's just a coincidence.

EDIT: Looks like there was yet another Flash player update that fixes the issue.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 14, 2013

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Anyone having issues with the Thunderbolt Firmware 1.1 update?
I've applied it like 10 times at least and it keeps popping up in my software updates.
This is on a mid-2012 13" MBP.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

iostream.h posted:

Anyone having issues with the Thunderbolt Firmware 1.1 update?
I've applied it like 10 times at least and it keeps popping up in my software updates.
This is on a mid-2012 13" MBP.

Are you plugged into power while doing the update?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Is there any way of changing the layout in Messages, as in putting conversations in their own window or at least being able to swap the userlist so it is on the right hand side, and messages to the left?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

You Am I posted:

Is there any way of changing the layout in Messages, as in putting conversations in their own window or at least being able to swap the userlist so it is on the right hand side, and messages to the left?

Double-click a conversation in the list to open in its own window. As for re-arranging the app layout.... the Linux thread is a few doors down, son

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
Tried to get help in the Chrome thread but no result: Is there an extension or an option to make Chrome on Mac reload when you swipe back a page, like you do on Safari? It's the one dealbreaker keeping me from switching to Chrome from Safari.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

Didion posted:

Tried to get help in the Chrome thread but no result: Is there an extension or an option to make Chrome on Mac reload when you swipe back a page, like you do on Safari? It's the one dealbreaker keeping me from switching to Chrome from Safari.

Wow someone else actually enjoys that refresh feature? I'm a fan as well, i just cant make the switch to chrome. Great browser but safari is my favorite!

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
The top tabs in my App Store are greyed out, so I can't switch to them. I'm only finding reports of people experiencing the same on iOS-devices, not on a desktop Mac. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

bonzaisushi posted:

Wow someone else actually enjoys that refresh feature? I'm a fan as well, i just cant make the switch to chrome. Great browser but safari is my favorite!
It's huge when viewing the forums (since the "new replies" count is actually updated). I remembered back when Safari didn't have it and being very frustrated with the browsing experience.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Wario In Real Life posted:

It's huge when viewing the forums (since the "new replies" count is actually updated). I remembered back when Safari didn't have it and being very frustrated with the browsing experience.

Does this still work for everyone else? It seems to have stopped updating for me a few weeks ago.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I know this is probably not the right thread, but someone was telling me about how Steve Jobs was really racist in the 80s. Is it true he made some sort of press release that basically amounted to 'apple product airnt for niggers?'

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Diabolik900 posted:

Does this still work for everyone else? It seems to have stopped updating for me a few weeks ago.
Do you have the latest version of Safari? Works fine for me.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

WYA posted:

I know this is probably not the right thread, but someone was telling me about how Steve Jobs was really racist in the 80s. Is it true he made some sort of press release that basically amounted to 'apple product airnt for niggers?'

"apple product airnt for niggers" was actually etched on the inside of every original Macintosh. Then, when some uppity "civil rights" people got angry and threatened legal action, Jobs released a new Mac with a system sound called Sosumi. The ensuing public outcry was a surprise to Jobs, and he abashedly promised to "make the negro people whole" and promptly invented the colored iMac.

... Or maybe somewhere in the real world, he was a great champion of diversity.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
At least it resulted in a colored iMac joke. :colbert:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Lexicon posted:

Double-click a conversation in the list to open in its own window. As for re-arranging the app layout.... the Linux thread is a few doors down, son

Hmm, bugger. Hate how much screen real estate Messages uses compared to iChat.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Anyone have experience with OSX joined to an AD domain? I have a brand new laptop tied to my AD domain for work. It works pretty well in the office, but using it remotely, there's a huge delay after login (actually after unlocking filevault) as it tries to connect to the domain controller. It lets me in (I have Remote accounts enabled), but I'm just wondering if there's some way to speed this process up?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

You Am I posted:

Hmm, bugger. Hate how much screen real estate Messages uses compared to iChat.

Yeah. It's not a great app for a variety of reasons.... I hate how the conversations shift around according to recency. And that's before talking about the reliability of the server side part of the app....

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

EVGA Longoria posted:

Anyone have experience with OSX joined to an AD domain? I have a brand new laptop tied to my AD domain for work. It works pretty well in the office, but using it remotely, there's a huge delay after login (actually after unlocking filevault) as it tries to connect to the domain controller. It lets me in (I have Remote accounts enabled), but I'm just wondering if there's some way to speed this process up?
Not really. There's a timeout if it can't contact a domain controller. The fix is to make a DC available to it on the Internet or via a VPN connection (and that's the Apple solution). You can set up a VPN to connect using AD credentials at login using a config profile, but I've never done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Wario In Real Life posted:

I'm pretty sure it doing so was a bug in the forums. It stopped doing so (reliably) after the update.

Sometimes it works, but I cannot figure out why or how.

:( It was the best bug.