Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I've come to the personal conclusion that the only time I'll take celerity on anything is if I'm going skulk and we don't have leap. Otherwise it just seems adrenaline is more useful in every situation since you can spend the extra energy on mobility moves like leaping, blinking, bellysliding or charging whenever you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Mr. Peepers posted:

I've come to the personal conclusion that the only time I'll take celerity on anything is if I'm going skulk and we don't have leap. Otherwise it just seems adrenaline is more useful in every situation since you can spend the extra energy on mobility moves like leaping, blinking, bellysliding or charging whenever you want.

I'm getting to this point. I think celerity is chiefly useful for early game skulks. I tend to stick to lerks, skulks, and onos, and in the case of lerks and onos the extra adrenaline seems to be a no brainer.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Celerity is really good for getting you across the map in seconds, which is really useful for running/harass or coordinating attacks. So I really only get it as a skulk or a lerk.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

I've been playing a ton of lerk lately and I'm getting pretty decent at it, but I have a few questions.

Is there an increase in flight speed with celerity? If there is I'm having trouble noticing it and I think I'd be better off taking adrenaline later in the game when that's available.

What's a decent late game lerk strat? In the early game I am a terror to marines while I swoop at them firing spikes while I close in to bite them for a kill. But this doesn't hold up as well for me in the late game. Late game I tend to find myself playing hit and run on RTs, power nodes, and sentry batteries and not doing a whole lot of marine killing. Should I just keep doing this and supporting pushes with gas and umbra?

That's a perfect way to play a lerk. Note: Spikes do extra damage to armor, so you can soften up pushes and help those gorgies take down exos. I see a lot of people constantly flapping though, which makes me sad. Two flaps in a row to get to full speed, no more. If you're going up, you need a flap every now and again to keep speed, but other than that, you can glide around most of the map (with space and W held) without flapping.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

DelphiAegis posted:

That's a perfect way to play a lerk. Note: Spikes do extra damage to armor, so you can soften up pushes and help those gorgies take down exos. I see a lot of people constantly flapping though, which makes me sad. Two flaps in a row to get to full speed, no more. If you're going up, you need a flap every now and again to keep speed, but other than that, you can glide around most of the map (with space and W held) without flapping.

I do love pelting exos with spikes.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Pretty sure spikes do light damage and thus less damage to armour than most attacks.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Lerk spikes kill an exo in what seems like 10 seconds of constant fire. They are really fragile. I'm sure someone has some real numbers to back me up here.

Personally I much prefer celerity on my lerks. I can understand why you'd want to go with adrenaline but I love the speed. Combined with silence you can be pretty devastating and hard to keep track of by swooping in for a chomp or two and immediately flying away. If you're really good you can quickly land on top of the marine, take two quick bites and fly away in any direction you want. Good times on pubs!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Zigmidge posted:

Lerk spikes kill an exo in what seems like 10 seconds of constant fire. They are really fragile. I'm sure someone has some real numbers to back me up here.

Personally I much prefer celerity on my lerks. I can understand why you'd want to go with adrenaline but I love the speed. Combined with silence you can be pretty devastating and hard to keep track of by swooping in for a chomp or two and immediately flying away. If you're really good you can quickly land on top of the marine, take two quick bites and fly away in any direction you want. Good times on pubs!

The minute you get hit with one stray bullet, all advantages of celerity disappear.

Terboh
Mar 30, 2005
I personally love celerity with lerk, and choose it almost exclusively at this point. Having that kind of map presence, especially early game is brutal. Also, while it won't work after you've attacked / been shot, you should be closing that distance before you get spotted anyways, and that gives you a much smaller window to be spotted before landing the first strike. A lerk flying at you when you see them is 1000x less terrifying than one that bit you before you knew it existed. (It's also likely a dead lerk unless you abort the attack)

Edit: Do you lose the speed when you attack? or is it only when you're harmed? I always assumed it was "in combat", but if it's only when you get shot that just pushes it further.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.
You lose the celerity bonus when you are hurt or attack. Even if you just bite the air as a skulk you'll still lose the bonus.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Pretty sure spikes do light damage and thus less damage to armour than most attacks.

While we're talking about damage types, can someone tell me how the numbers for the flamethrower work? Some alien buildings seem to resist it real well while others melt.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The minute you get hit with one stray bullet, all advantages of celerity disappear.

Uh. So don't get hit.

e: Disclosure, I tend to have both the highest kill and death count when I play.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 16, 2013

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Zigmidge posted:

Fun fact: if you're an exo getting hit with lerk spikes there is no sound feedback you're getting hit, you only notice it if you see your health going down.

I hid in a corner on the ceiling in lava falls and killed 3 exos all alone because they're so slow and couldn't make it to cover before I spiked them to death. It was only until they lit on fire and probably had their DEATH IMMINENT message that they started to look around for me.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Xythe posted:

You lose the celerity bonus when you are hurt or attack. Even if you just bite the air as a skulk you'll still lose the bonus.

I think the Gorge's bilebomb also counts as long as it does damage. If you uncloak and fire off a couple bilebombs at something, you'll be waiting a long time before the game lets you recloak again.

BlackJoo
Sep 26, 2011

That's not a dagger, it's called a syringe!

whiskas posted:

Fun fact: if you're an exo getting hit with lerk spikes there is no sound feedback you're getting hit, you only notice it if you see your health going down.

I hid in a corner on the ceiling in lava falls and killed 3 exos all alone because they're so slow and couldn't make it to cover before I spiked them to death. It was only until they lit on fire and probably had their DEATH IMMINENT message that they started to look around for me.

Yeah I've suffered a few random exo deaths at the hands of a lerk which I couldn't hear, god it's infuriating.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Zigmidge posted:

Uh. So don't get hit.

e: Disclosure, I tend to have both the highest kill and death count when I play.

Haha, you also lose it when you actually attack something.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I'm pretty sure that as long as you're still gliding you retain your celerity speed. Even if you don't, being able to make your approach at mach 10 is really nice for being able to live once people can hit the broad side of a barn. I still take celerity on most of my alien lives, but it fits my playstyle, which is where i avoid the main fighting and do a lot of harass. If I'm going to have to do a lot of fighting adren is what I'll take instead.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Alien games really started to go better for me when I realized, that the damage varies from 25 to 50 & 75 as a skulk depending how well you hit! Earlier it felt like marines never die, now I "frame" the marine in the middle of the screen - like taking a photograph - and chomp away. Pretty sweet to 2-shot marines in the beginning after parasiting them first.

Edit: Killing exos with a fade is pretty enjoyable too. For some reason they seem to have real issues hitting aliens circlestrafing around them...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Ihmemies posted:

Alien games really started to go better for me when I realized, that the damage varies from 25 to 50 & 75 as a skulk depending how well you hit! Earlier it felt like marines never die, now I "frame" the marine in the middle of the screen - like taking a photograph - and chomp away. Pretty sweet to 2-shot marines in the beginning after parasiting them first.

Yes, that's one of the biggest things you can do to help yourself if you're struggling as a skulk. When you attack a marine, don't just hold down the mouse button and mash on the keyboard.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Bhodi posted:

I kept meaning to ask this here. When you place the gate, there's an arc indicating the 'front' of the gate, but I'm not sure if it's front->back or front->front when you phase.

I always assumed it was front->front, so I put the front of the gate facing the infantry portals, and the front of the exit gate facing the corridor where aliens come from. If it's front->front, you'll go in the gate and come out facing the corridor. If it's front->back, you'll come out facing the wall. If I can get this straight, I think I might put all my phase gates against the wall, since it gives skulks less room to maneuver around and dodge.

Regardless of orientation when entering, you exit a phase gate at the arc that the commander supplied when placing it. There's no way to tell this from the model, which is front or back either (which is mildly frustrating, but understandable). They removed the throw-back that aliens got when a marine phased through and when a marine spawns, now, so placing them against the wall is asking for trouble.

Is there a reason people place a robo factory facing away from the power node in mainbase in lategame? I assume it's just to prevent skulks or fades from chomping it except from particular angles, since it has a lot of health, but is that the only reason, or am I just reading too much into it?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Ihmemies posted:

Edit: Killing exos with a fade is pretty enjoyable too. For some reason they seem to have real issues hitting aliens circlestrafing around them...

Did you know: Lerk bites are affected the same way - 20, 40, 60 base damage I believe, then they also have a damage over time effect but I don't know if it's a standard amount or based of how hard the bite hit.

Bite, flap away to get max speed, turn around and glide backwards while spiking (probably a second or two at most). If you like you just press shift when you think you are near any surface and you will cling to it, then you can flap or glide off in any direction (use it like a wall jump which also works on ceilings), otherwise just bugger off around a corner, do a lap to the nearest hive/crag nest and come back for more. Your assholishness doubles with spores.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Osnap, build 236 up!

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2013/1/build_236_is_now_live_on_steam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5PuLKIoGGM

(Now time to read the shitload of changes for the juicy bits). I need to go to bed pretty bad, so here are ugly copy/pastes of stuff that jumps out from the HUGE list as I look:

Most notably, you will experience better hit detection against skulks on walls.
The amount of effort put into Docking for 236 is truly outstanding. Oli and Olmy worked in tandem on the reconstruction, which is most striking in departures.
Increased alert priority for structures to be higher than Marine requests.
Reduced atmospheric light density of flashlights.
Added a button to request menu to give up a round (becomes visible after 5 minutes)
Improved Favorites functionality in the server browser. Favorites are now displayed at the top of the list by default and will refresh much faster.
(attacking Hydras no longer uncloak the Gorge)
Fixed spit projectile visuals and damage application being out of sync for the shooting Gorge.
The ghost Power Node no longer takes damage
Added protection against speed hacking.
Load-time optimization: Caching some pathing data, so loads should be faster after loading a map for the first time.
Added a hint for the NVIDIA Optimus driver to use the high performance GPU.
Fixed hitching when moving fast near Infestation.
Don't interpolate vectors that are too far apart (for cleaner camera cuts / teleportation)
Update view angles before firing weapon (fixes some hitreg issues)
Unwhitelisted all mods.
Unwhitelisted NS2Stats. We felt we needed to do this because script errors were preventing people from playing NS2. Hopefully we'll have a better fix for this post 1.0.
Got rid of some lag.
The Gorge and Welder now award points for healing.
Added "reconnect" command which is the same as "retry" (reconnects to the last server you were on)
<mainmenu> improved refreshing of the server list (about 10 times faster)
Improved the performance of lighting calculations.
Optimized batching of decals with the same material.
Improved bloom performance (thanks Alexander Szpakowski!)
Sped up Infestation rendering.
Added auto-kick AFK players feature. Add auto_kick_afk_time (seconds until an AFK player is kicked) and auto_kick_afk_capacity (from 0 to 1, how full the server is to enabled auto-kicking) to your ServerConfig.json file to use.
Added admin command: "sv_auto_kick_afk 120 0.6". This will enable auto-kicking AFK players after 2 minutes when the server is at least 60% full. Use "sv_auto_kick_afk 0 0" to disable auto-kicking.

And last but not least, gently caress yeahhhh:
Added in moving train to Departures

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 16, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Jesus, that's a massive changelog.

E: ah, looks like some notes from a previous patch snuck in somehow.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 16, 2013

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

quote:

Increased minimum distance that Cysts can be placed near other Cysts (now 6 meters up from 2 meters)

Finally, no more framerate-destroying cyst spam.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Can't wait to try out the new Docking. I've always liked a lot about the map - even though it has such a different theme, it feels a lot like the original Natural Selection for some reason, maybe because of the focus on hallways or something. Hopefully the new version is more balanced too. It would be nice if eventually Marines could start anywhere.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Can't wait to try out the new Docking. I've always liked a lot about the map - even though it has such a different theme, it feels a lot like the original Natural Selection for some reason, maybe because of the focus on hallways or something. Hopefully the new version is more balanced too. It would be nice if eventually Marines could start anywhere.

East wing redesign is nice, and the leadups into departures are different, instead of two murder-hallways. Also those two entrances have a vertical component. You go down a stairway in east wing (The node is at the top) and back up into departures. Terminal is reworked again (and hasn't fit the loading screen graphic in a while, lol) but it doesn't allow spit/spikes to hit from courtyard anymore, there's a big kiosk in the way, and if you place your structures outside of a small cone, they can't be spiked from the window anymore either. Though most common placements still will be, it won't be as much of a problem. The chair is really tucked back in there.

Cafe changes are neat, the power node is behind the bar and to the east of it a bit, on the north wall close to where the tech point used to be. Where there is now a res node. The tech point is between the two pillars but has a lot of cover.

Looking forward to how the changes play out, though would still love to see more maps pop into the official rotation, as well as those proposed changes to Veil, going to 5 techpoints. :/

And this build does a rebuild of your caches as well, so expect a 20 minute load the first time round.. again.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I don't understand the removal of the courtyard res node. Now the map only has 9, compared to 12 of some maps like mineshaft.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I think it's to intentionally slow down the games on that map. There's not a lot of alien coverage between cafe/terminal, so most times marines take them both early, and sometimes manage to get bar, as well. Mineshaft is pretty huge and seems to favor aliens but the larger res count (and for some reason, Pilot drill having a powernode pre-built) makes for easier marine wins in general.

I think the devs want to see how lower-res maps play just as much as I do.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

Ihmemies posted:

Jump. Most exo's can't hit a jumping fade for poo poo. They can spin around at ground level and shoot and eventually kill you, sometimes before you kill them, but as soon as you make them move that vertical aim, they're screwed. Sure, it takes longer, but you'll come away with 90% hp.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
This patch is full of a huge number of seemingly small things that have me super excited. A give up button, unironically amazing.

ps: check out the mod workshop, there is a mod that changes the infestation to resemble the style of of Aliens and there is also a colonial marines marine model and hand model replacement that kick rear end.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Fixed issue where damage over time or AI units cause combat state for their owner (attacking Hydras no longer uncloak the Gorge)
:woop:

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Splicer posted:

:woop:

Great, Sometimes I just like to be the commanders lacky and stay in the base mending :unsmith:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I just bought a mouse with TWO WHOLE SIDE BUTTONS!

Any suggestion on what to map them to?

Cysts for Khammander is a must, otherwise I dunno.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

traveling midget posted:

cysts? Pfft. Bind them to view map and voicecomm.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DelphiAegis posted:

Basically this, Cyst is already "A" if you're on the right tab so there's no reason to waste a mouse button on something that's only good for Comm on one side.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I accidentally almost put down crags a lot so I'd macro it to "Q, A" but yeah you guys are right

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

traveling midget posted:

Sprint and voicechat for me. I really need to rebind the map key, but it's in such a useful spot if I'm not commanding... drat that uncancellable EMP MAC upgrade.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stele007 posted:

Sprint and voicechat for me. I really need to rebind the map key, but it's in such a useful spot if I'm not commanding... drat that uncancellable EMP MAC upgrade.
Man, at least you didn't spend your entire stockpile of tres on fade eggs.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

DelphiAegis posted:

This is what I did, it works very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

The Crotch posted:

Man, at least you didn't spend your entire stockpile of tres on fade eggs.

Nah, I don't click eggs very much, but more often than I'd like, I'm about to drop a crag or shift when I check the map real quick then plop a spur instead.

• Locked thread