Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

escape artist posted:

What episode has Slim Charles deriding the hitters for breaking the Sunday truce by shooting at Omar's grandmother in church? I just gotta hear that "bonafide colored lady" speech.

3.9 - Slapstick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xiL95jR44E

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
3.9 "Slapstick"

E:FB drat you

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Unzip and Attack posted:

3.9 "Slapstick"

E:FB drat you

Be a little slow... be a little late...

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

escape artist posted:

What episode has Slim Charles deriding the hitters for breaking the Sunday truce by shooting at Omar's grandmother in church? I just gotta hear that "bonafide colored lady" speech.

It really says something about the decline of the Barksdales is that they went from some of the most reliable hitters like Weebay and Bird in season 1 to having to use chucklefucks like Gerard and Sapper in season 3.

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?

The SituAsian posted:

It really says something about the decline of the Barksdales is that they went from some of the most reliable hitters like Weebay and Bird in season 1 to having to use chucklefucks like Gerard and Sapper in season 3.

Brother Mouzone put a hex on yall. Everyone else is dead or in jail as Slim Charles explained.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Just noticed Nick Sobotka has a Pi tattoo on the back of his neck. Any significance to it or is it just a tattoo the actor had?

I was wondering why a stevedore would have that (beyond a simple answer like he thinks it looks cool) but maybe I'm over thinking it.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Parachute Underwear posted:

Just noticed Nick Sobotka has a Pi tattoo on the back of his neck. Any significance to it or is it just a tattoo the actor had?

I was wondering why a stevedore would have that (beyond a simple answer like he thinks it looks cool) but maybe I'm over thinking it.

Maybe Nick Sobotka is The Greek, and he's a member of a fraternal order of other Greeks that uses a tattoo of π to identify their members.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 81 days!
Soiled Meat
Note on my earlier theory about the trains: the first time a train appears and we hear its horn is right after Bunk delivers the like "Thought about leaving that little motherfucker there as a warning to the others."

The second time the horn sounds is right after Jimmy says "I'm gonna do this case."

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Robert Chew (Prop Joe) died today. Sadly, I've not the show knowledge for a sentimental/appropriate quote.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/01/18/prop-joe-dead-robert-f-chew-the-wire/

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

gently caress, that blows :( dude was phenomenal.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

End of Life Guy posted:

Robert Chew (Prop Joe) died today. Sadly, I've not the show knowledge for a sentimental/appropriate quote.

Awful news.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

End of Life Guy posted:

Someone in the other thread had a good one: "We're living life with some burdensome news."

Here's a bad taste one:
"If it weren't for the plaque built up in his arteries, he wouldn't be a cadaverous motherfucker."

:smith:

Rest in peace Robert Chew. I'll never forget watching the episode where he was shot at the end, and being so angry that I didn't want to watch the next episode.

edit: Just looked at his IMDB, and this is his final IMDB credit:
Jamesy Boy (post-production) (2013)
Fat rear end Manager

:sigh: Maybe they'll change that poo poo and give his character a name, as a show of respect.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 19, 2013

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

He was also a acting coach and worked with the kids from season 4.

"Joe will be missed." :smith:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

General Bort posted:

He was also a acting coach and worked with the kids from season 4.

"Joe will be missed." :smith:

He brought in a lot of kids from Season 4, local Baltimore kids. Sherrod was one of them. Yeah, he coached the kids and Snoop, who was making her first foray into acting.

ukiyo e
Sep 12, 2012

Wait... what?

It's the Japanese character for strength. I assumed that they slowly added to his collection of bad tattoos as the season went on to show that even though he was more careful then ziggy he still got caught up in the money and spent it foolishly (like the new truck).

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
Escape artist, what episodes should we be up to this week? I feel behind and am catching up. Would it be possible to put that info into the OP?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

confused posted:

Escape artist, what episodes should we be up to this week? I feel behind and am catching up. Would it be possible to put that info into the OP?

Well, frankly my man, I've dropped the ball on the reviews. But theoretically we should be near the end of Season 1. I want to keep this informal, though. We can treat it like a class, but we don't want to take the fun out of it either.

I apologize for my inconsistency. Between the holidays, health bullshit, family bullshit, lady bullshit, school bullshit and financial bullshit... I've been neglecting this thread. But I fully intend on doing on of my write-ups for the 58 remaining episodes. Just been distracted, and I'll pick up the pace to get the reviews in synch with where we are in terms of viewing. They aren't tedious, but they are taxing. It takes me about 2 and a half hours of work to write on an hour's worth of episodes (plus another hour, because I watch the episode twice to milk every detail out of it). So, at that rate, I'll spend 150 hours writing my reviews for the whole series. Almost a week's time!

However, I encourage anybody to discuss anything they want in this thread, regardless of my reviews. I've been jumping around like crazy, watching the latter halves of Season 3, 4 and 5, in binges, recently.

I apologize again guys.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
Anyone know which cemetery McNulty meets up with Omar at? I'm trying to find the clip on youtube for reference but no luck so far.

Also, watching Stringer play businessman is hilarious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGgRtiCVo2w
I'm pretty sure that's still season 1 but I could be wrong, it's been awhile.

e:g

GreenCard78 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 21, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

GreenCard78 posted:

Also, watching Stringer play businessman is hilarious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGgRtiCVo2w
I'm pretty sure that's still season 1 but I could be wrong, it's been awhile.

e:g

That's Season 3. He didn't start showing up in the copy shop until Season 3, I think. We never saw him in community college until Season 2 or 3 either.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Community college was near the end of season 1, and the copy shop was season 1 or very early season 2.

Source: I am on episode 203 of a rewatch and neither of those happened last episode.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

Ah well, been awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hor_gOBU_GU

Have some Wallace action and be sad.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

escape artist posted:

That's Season 3. He didn't start showing up in the copy shop until Season 3, I think. We never saw him in community college until Season 2 or 3 either.

McNulty tails him to college once in season one, and I believe soon after in the same or next episode, String spouts some econ 101 to his copy shop lackeys. :)

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

McNulty tails him to college once in season one, and I believe soon after in the same or next episode, String spouts some econ 101 to his copy shop lackeys. :)
Stringer later lectures people about how he dumped his cell phone stock because Poot already had two.

Yeah stick with the gangster, bud.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkLuncXw-P4

Listen to Stringer play wall street.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Just finishing watching 'All Prologue' and its still my favourite episode in the whole run, I feel I could write a dozen essays on just this one episode. It's so drat good

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Just finishing watching 'All Prologue' and its still my favourite episode in the whole run, I feel I could write a dozen essays on just this one episode. It's so drat good

That's the episode where I believe the Wire launches itself into the realm of untouchable TV.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

The beginning is great and the parts leading up or following

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSxwtXUxBrI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYj7q_by_2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_zJDJGJ82M

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

"Mr. Hilton are you the second coming of our savior?"

"Excuse me?"

"Are you Jesus Christ come back to earth?"

"um.."

*gavel*

How was Phalen allowed to preside over a case involving a key witness from a case he previously saw? You'd think Levy would have a field day with that.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 23, 2013

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

Probably just to make it easier on the viewer. Most people probably didn't even think about that, I know I didn't.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Gangringo posted:

"Mr. Hilton are you the second coming of our savior?"

"Excuse me?"

"Are you Jesus Christ come back to earth?"

"um.."

*gavel*

How was Phalen allowed to preside over a case involving a key witness from a case he previously saw? You'd think Levy would have a field day with that.

would it necessarily matter within a court of law? Bird and Omar weren't involved in Dee's trial, and I don't remember if Levy was defending Dee either. He also makes sure to tell the jury on two occasions to disregard part's of Omar's testimony. I'm sure some legal eagles can correct me if I'm wrong though

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life
Pretty much the entirety of the Bird trial is unrealistic, just enjoy it (much like the Clay Davis trial we see later).

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

cletepurcel posted:

Pretty much the entirety of the Bird trial is unrealistic, just enjoy it (much like the Clay Davis trial we see later).

of that I have no doubt, though Phelan's needling of Bird at the end is something I'm sure happens in trials all the time. Maybe not major crimes like murder, but certainly at the lower levels

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I just noticed that in the first bar scene with Bunk and Jimmy the jukebox is playing Gram Parsons' "Streets of Baltimore". How did I never notice this, I love Gram Parsons.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

So after the brilliance of 'All Prologue', I've always felt that the next episode 'Backwash' was a pretty mediocre (for The Wire anyway) follow-up. Not so! Halfway through the episode, Frank is sitting in on a presentation about the mechanisation of Rotterdam and immediately asks how man longshoremen are still working there. He's obviously looking out for his union, and the suit presenting says he doesn't have the exact figures but seems awfully please to tell Frank that 4000 work there. Later, Frank and Bruce have an animated discussion over the presentation. Frank is aghast that his union will die out when robots take over all the work, and then Bruce starts talking to Frank about his granddad lumping a grinding stone up a street to sharpen stake knives, and how his granddad scrimped and saved to send Bruce's dad to college. And in a very subtle manner Bruce is telling Frank that he's fighting progress and rather than simply funneling money at him to grease the right political wheels, he should be looking out for his family and his workers and getting them of the mindset that a job simply runs in the family and should start looking at a life beyond the docks. (Of course, Bruce takes the money anyway). And then the coup de grace comes a little later when New Charles is injured when a pallet crushes his leg - the mechanisation that Frank is fighting a losing battle against would have meant that the accident wouldn't have occured, either by New Charles having been laid off years ago or by mechanisation. We then later find out that New Charles was named as such because on his first day on the docks, a previous Charles was crushed to death by a can. It's just a little sub plot that runs almost in the background and comes circle in about four scenes, and it's just genius.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
My favorite individual moment in this show is when Marlo leaves a swanky clay davis function (similar to one Stringer attends right before his end) disgusted, and beats the poo poo out of the first dude who pulls a gun on him on the corner

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It's the big lines that get all the press - you come at the king, you got the briefcase, the game is rigged, the king stay the king. And so on.

But you know, I love the small lines. The ones that don't make or break a scene, but are so perfect.

Bubs talking to an old addict, trying to find Omar for McNutty.

"You wanna get with Omar, you need to stand out on one of them corners with a big rear end package. You'll be talkin to that nigga soon enough."

Love that line.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I love speculating about the futures of the characters of this show. I know it's not the most practical thing to do given that the writers have said everything they want to say about them, but I can't help not imagining what McNulty or Michael do following the last credits. Perhaps the most interesting to speculate on is Marlo though - the guy has millions of dollars of clean money. Enough to get out of the game for good and live a pretty lavish lifestyle if he wants it. But all he cares about is his rep, as he shows in his last scene. I like to think that without Chris and Snoop backing him, Marlo attempts to get back in the game and gets taken out by Michael. Maybe too Hollywood I know, but that would have been a fierce showdown.

EDIT - I love "you're a soldier Boadie". You can tell McNulty actually has a lot of respect for Boadie, but it's laced with a bit of sadness too. Great line that really sums up a relationship between two compelling characters.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 25, 2013

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

Unzip and Attack posted:

I love speculating about the futures of the characters of this show. I know it's not the most practical thing to do given that the writers have said everything they want to say about them, but I can't help not imagining what McNulty or Michael do following the last credits. Perhaps the most interesting to speculate on is Marlo though - the guy has millions of dollars of clean money. Enough to get out of the game for good and live a pretty lavish lifestyle if he wants it. But all he cares about is his rep, as he shows in his last scene. I like to think that without Chris and Snoop backing him, Marlo attempts to get back in the game and gets taken out by Michael. Maybe too Hollywood I know, but that would have been a fierce showdown.

EDIT - I love "you're a soldier Boadie". You can tell McNulty actually has a lot of respect for Boadie, but it's laced with a bit of sadness too. Great line that really sums up a relationship between two compelling characters.

It's a big contrast to their first meeting in episode 2, where they treat each other with mutual contempt. "You, me, my partner, and Mr. poo poo here."

McNulty wasn't part of Homicide when they were doing the investigation over who shot the little kid in season 2, but I like to think he would have known better than to try that "we have your prints on the gun" trick. Bodie was always very street smart, but not smart enough :smith:

In the same vein I always like the scene early in season 4 where Carver pulls up to Bodie's corner and starts busting his balls about their long history.

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
There's a small bit part in a couple of episodes, so I looked up the character, then looked up the actor to see what else he's in. The reason I'm being so needlessly vague is because the first result for a google on his name, is his own Facebook page. Like, not a fan page, I mean it's just, the guy. I think that's pretty funny - since they used so many local and small players, these are people with lives and responsibilities. If that's something that's okay to post I'll link it, but it's nothing particularly noteworthy, just a "hey, it's him".