Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
What's your typical dive profile?

(I am completely warped by the fact that job logistics force me to think about what will make the van wet as much as anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Guess I just got a Cressi Leonardo off of ebay for 100 bucks cheaper than retail, brand new, no other bidders. Hope it works well.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

East gales to 35 kt. Wind waves 17 ft. Scattered showers.

Its time to DIVE

pupdive posted:

What's your typical dive profile?

(I am completely warped by the fact that job logistics force me to think about what will make the van wet as much as anything.

This is a typical dive profile give or take.

Hey Bishop, I finally am Legit! After diving for quite a while without cards LOL I finally got them.. After nearly 300 hours on Rebreathers :P

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 13, 2013

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
A good friend of mine has been bugging me for years to join him in diving. He worked with a regional dive mag till recently and does macro underwater photography as a hobby. I recently bit the bullet and signed up for the PADI open water diver elearning thing and i'm about halfway through the modules. My friend has arranged an 8 day trip next month to a resort in Manado, Indonesia (we're in Singapore) where i will do the confined and open water training to get certified and spend the rest of the days just diving. He's really close to the folks at the resort (in fact his gear is still there from when he did his divemaster's course recently) so he got me a really good deal on their rates.

I'm really stoked about this and can't wait. My friend has already set me up with one of his spare wetsuits, fins and mask that fit me. The only snag is that he can't confirm his schedule yet and whether he can join me, but i hope he can. If he can't he'll get the folks at the resort to open his bag so that i can use his spare dive comp and other stuff.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

raffie posted:

A good friend of mine has been bugging me for years to join him in diving. He worked with a regional dive mag till recently and does macro underwater photography as a hobby. I recently bit the bullet and signed up for the PADI open water diver elearning thing and i'm about halfway through the modules. My friend has arranged an 8 day trip next month to a resort in Manado, Indonesia (we're in Singapore) where i will do the confined and open water training to get certified and spend the rest of the days just diving. He's really close to the folks at the resort (in fact his gear is still there from when he did his divemaster's course recently) so he got me a really good deal on their rates.

I'm really stoked about this and can't wait. My friend has already set me up with one of his spare wetsuits, fins and mask that fit me. The only snag is that he can't confirm his schedule yet and whether he can join me, but i hope he can. If he can't he'll get the folks at the resort to open his bag so that i can use his spare dive comp and other stuff.

Welcome to the club.

If you are planning to buy diving gear in the future. Maybe you should start with a good mask for yourself already on that resort.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Oceanic Shadow fo lyfe.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

MA-Horus posted:

Oceanic Shadow fo lyfe.

I love my sea dive masks if you can find them

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

SlicerDicer posted:

quite a while without cards LOL I finally got them.. After nearly 300 hours on Rebreathers :P
My IANTD Trimix card is technically my "highest ranking" card but I don't use it unless I have to because GOD drat IANTD cards are ugly. The TDI ones are so much more professional looking.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 14, 2013

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

Oceanic Shadow fo lyfe.

This is what I use too and I love it. Super comfortable. Frameless is the way to go.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Question for the other professionals/tec divers here. If you go on a recreational dive or dive trip, do you show your tec/dm/instructor C-card or do you just show them your highest recreational C-card? I've heard mixed answers from my friends.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I rarely do recreational dives off a commercial boat, but I'd probably show my "rescue diver" card. That tells them that I can help in an emergency but doesn't look smug like showing a full trimix card. It says: "I can help", without looking like you are trying to one up them.

E: If I had something insane like "CCR Trimix Cave Exploration Instuctor Evaluator" then I'd probably just embrace the smug.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 14, 2013

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

My IANTD Trimix card is technically my "highest ranking" card but I don't use it unless I have to because GOD drat IANTD cards are ugly. The TDI ones are so much more professional looking.

Awww you are just too manly for me I like mine its like OHHH SHINY!!! :)

There is not anybody TDI on Maui that I am aware of.

Bishop posted:

I rarely do recreational dives off a commercial boat, but I'd probably show my "rescue diver" card. That tells them that I can help in an emergency but doesn't look smug like showing a full trimix card. It says: "I can help", without looking like you are trying to one up them.

E: If I had something insane like "CCR Trimix Cave Exploration Instuctor Evaluator" then I'd probably just embrace the smug.

Just show up with a Rebreather and nobody asks you for anything most of the time. When you bring everything you need to kill yourself they generally dont even bother asking you LOL

Infact I just got both my rebreather cards and I have not had them for however long I have been diving the drat unit... I have dragged the thing to other countries too hah.

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 15, 2013

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Other pro's talk about how it they just want to relax and enjoy their vacation and not worry about being an instructor or DM. They say its a liability thing that if people know you are a DM/Instructor you're legally liable to intervene in an emergency, so they'd rather just show a recreational card and be another tourist, rather than being put in a position of authority on their vacations.

I'm on the fence. On one hand, of course i'll intervene in an emergency if i see one no matter what. On the other, you all know how crazy legal stuff can get these days. People are afraid of the "MY REGULATOR BROKE UNDERWATER AND I ALMOST DROWNED BUT THERE WAS A DM IN OUR GROUP AND HE DIDN'T HELP ME I'M GOING TO SUE HIM" types.

poo poo, has anyone here have a friend or been involved youself in a legal situation regarding a rescue?

Macintyre
May 6, 2006
Slow Rider
Sorry if this isnt the thread to ask this in: has anyone dove in Grand Cayman? I'll be heading there in March with 5 days of time to kill. I'm certified Open Water/Night/Nitrox; biggest draw is coral & fish.

Looking for recommendation on dive sites & dive shops , thanks!

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Crunkjuice posted:

poo poo, has anyone here have a friend or been involved youself in a legal situation regarding a rescue?
I tried to put Rockcity in this situation when I left him alone on an empty mooring ball while I swam up current towards my boat, 6 miles off shore, at night. I haven't been sued yet...(Current was very mild, I rather one of us get swept away than both, etc)

Bishop fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 15, 2013

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bishop posted:

I tried to put Rockcity in this situation when I left him alone on an empty mooring ball while I swam up current towards my boat, 6 miles of shore, at night. I haven't been sued yet...(Current was very mild, I rather one of us get swept away than both, etc)

Haha, when you write it like that it sounds way worse than it actually was. Granted, I was a certified lifeguard at one point so I don't exactly freak out on the surface.

On an unrelated note, I'm getting my cavern certification in two weeks diving up at Ginnie Springs and Peacock Springs. Really excited to finally learn.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
That's why I thought it was funny to post. We really were not in bad shape... But if you describe the situation to a layman it sounds like something Hemmingway would have poo poo his pants over.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I did dive with a guy on the Queen of Nassau that got bent as poo poo but he just panicked and bolted away from all of us. We all aborted the dive, but did our standard deco. By the time we got to the surface he was already whisked away towards a chamber. Despite ending up fine I think he might have tried to sue the shop/chamber for something but as far as I know nothing ever came of it. People keep pretty tight lipped over those type of things. For instance I know people that have had people die on their boats from a heart attack or whatever. It's more common than you may think. Hell, we had a goon that had a crazy incident while doing a normal ascent on the Spiegel. Thankfully he made it. It was nuts though because I heard on the radio channel dive boats use down there about how there was a serious incident on the Spiegel and then I come home to post and it was a loving goon. That being said, that site has tens of thousands of dives done on it a year. I'm not going to look up the odds but I bet driving to it is more dangerous that diving it within your limitations.

EDIT: MOST ALL DIVING IS VERY SAFE, JUST DON'T BE IN TERRIBLE SHAPE AND DON'T DIVE WITH ME

Bishop fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 15, 2013

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

MA-Horus posted:

Oceanic Shadow fo lyfe.

I just got a Hollis m1 and it owns considerable bones.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

Oceanic Shadow fo lyfe.

If you are going for a mask go to a shop that has a lot of them and try them all.

Get the one that fits best.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Crunkjuice posted:

Question for the other professionals/tec divers here. If you go on a recreational dive or dive trip, do you show your tec/dm/instructor C-card or do you just show them your highest recreational C-card? I've heard mixed answers from my friends.

Like already mentionend you are on a holiday.
Sometimes they divide the groups and then you get some 'new'divers with you and wish you good luck.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Bishop posted:

I did dive with a guy on the Queen of Nassau that got bent as poo poo but he just panicked and bolted away from all of us. We all aborted the dive, but did our standard deco. By the time we got to the surface he was already whisked away towards a chamber. Despite ending up fine I think he might have tried to sue the shop/chamber for something but as far as I know nothing ever came of it. People keep pretty tight lipped over those type of things. For instance I know people that have had people die on their boats from a heart attack or whatever. It's more common than you may think. Hell, we had a goon that had a crazy incident while doing a normal ascent on the Spiegel. Thankfully he made it. It was nuts though because I heard on the radio channel dive boats use down there about how there was a serious incident on the Spiegel and then I come home to post and it was a loving goon. That being said, that site has tens of thousands of dives done on it a year. I'm not going to look up the odds but I bet driving to it is more dangerous that diving it within your limitations.

EDIT: MOST ALL DIVING IS VERY SAFE, JUST DON'T BE IN TERRIBLE SHAPE AND DON'T DIVE WITH ME

We go on a diving trip every year. We send out mails to about 50 peeps and tell them this is the deal join or stay.

On one of those trips one of our diving friends died from a heart attack. It wasn't dive related we hadn't dived yet.
It was in Egypt. Most of our group are good divers tekies etc. And a lot are police officers.

They tried revive him but knew he was dead. His wife was next to him and told the cpr gents to stop it was over.

The boat was still in the harbor and it took maybe an hour before there was any transport. A pickup truck... he was put on the back of the pickup and driven to the hospital.
This is how it goes in Egypt we all are aware of that and we didn't had problems with that. We actual found it a suitable way for him to die strange enough... he was an adventures men.

The funeral was very impressive now I saw all those officers in uniform instead of wetsuits he was an officer also.
He got an official funeral for police officers.

It’s part of life and it is sometimes horrible but it better than being behind the playstation

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just got my speargun. I can't wait to try it out! The slings are hard as gently caress to pull on out of the water. I want to head out Monday (three-day weekend!) but I'd really like to get in the water before that just to try reloading a few times

So for a 2-band sling, the band closer to the spear tip attaches closer to the diver, right?

... and I have to spend some time attaching the mono with some not-so-great internet guides

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Just got my speargun. I can't wait to try it out! The slings are hard as gently caress to pull on out of the water. I want to head out Monday (three-day weekend!) but I'd really like to get in the water before that just to try reloading a few times

So for a 2-band sling, the band closer to the spear tip attaches closer to the diver, right?

... and I have to spend some time attaching the mono with some not-so-great internet guides

Don't let the sharks bite your butt :)

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Nice choice! Welcome to your new addiction. Its a good idea to get in the water and practice so when you actually go hunting youve got it all pretty practiced. The bands will break in and get much easier to pull pretty quickly. Once the rubber stays loaded for a while during some hunting they will start to loosen up. You will also quickly build those strange narrow-grip row muscles. Pretty soon it will be second nature. The back band goes on the back tab first, front band goes on the front tab after. Does the spear have a loading tab in the middle of the shaft? Or just the two on the back? If it has a loading tab. You can put the bands on the loading tab from your hip first one at a time. then bring the gun to your chest and finish loading.

Do you need to crimp the mono on? or just learn to route the shooting line? The routing takes a bit of learning but once you remember the routine its easy. And all open muzzle guns work pretty much that way (line and shaft through bands, line around front achor, down to line release on handle).The difference is where the line release goes and which side it wraps on.

This video isnt bad at showing what to do, but its reversed for you since your line release is on the left side of the gun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VS3wefAPDY Like loading wrapping the shooting line is also much easier in the water.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 15, 2013

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I just got a Hollis m1 and it owns considerable bones.

I have one too, it is an absolutely fantastic mask.

macado
Jun 3, 2003

How to keep an idiot busy, Click here.
Found a couple old bottles while scallop diving this Sunday. Half of the bottles I find tend to be circa-1990 Budweiser bottles so I don't always grab bottles when scallop diving but sometimes it pays off. Water temperature is a balmy 41F degrees right now.

Stoneware bottle from mid to late 1800s. Stamp on bottom says Grosvenor 2 Glasgow. Old ginger beer bottle most likely.
Pepsi-Cola bottle from 1941 (Ok..this one is not really that old).

My friend who has been diving the harbor for 25 years literally has hundred of old bottles, jugs, etc. There tons of things to be found around Boston Harbor. Half of the harbor islands were old dump sites for trash.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Of course, try a shitload of masks and get the one that fits best. I have a very fat face and the Shadow fits it awesomely. Seems to fit narrow faces pretty well too.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Looks like the first dive of the year on Sunday. Estimated water temp 5 Celsius :snoop:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

macado posted:

Found a couple old bottles while scallop diving this Sunday.

As a bottle collector living in a place with a shallow history and only diving protected sites, I am extremely jealous.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

Nice choice! Welcome to your new addiction. Its a good idea to get in the water and practice so when you actually go hunting youve got it all pretty practiced. The bands will break in and get much easier to pull pretty quickly. Once the rubber stays loaded for a while during some hunting they will start to loosen up. You will also quickly build those strange narrow-grip row muscles. Pretty soon it will be second nature. The back band goes on the back tab first, front band goes on the front tab after. Does the spear have a loading tab in the middle of the shaft? Or just the two on the back? If it has a loading tab. You can put the bands on the loading tab from your hip first one at a time. then bring the gun to your chest and finish loading.

Do you need to crimp the mono on? or just learn to route the shooting line? The routing takes a bit of learning but once you remember the routine its easy. And all open muzzle guns work pretty much that way (line and shaft through bands, line around front achor, down to line release on handle).The difference is where the line release goes and which side it wraps on.

This video isnt bad at showing what to do, but its reversed for you since your line release is on the left side of the gun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VS3wefAPDY Like loading wrapping the shooting line is also much easier in the water.

I need to crimp the mono on. It sounds pretty straightforward, and I already have a crimping tool so I'll probably give it a shot later this week

It only has the two tabs on the back. Yeah, I'm sure things will loosen up after I get some time on them. I was hoping to go out this Monday, but plans are changing and I might not get a chance until the weekend after this one. Oh well, I'm still looking forward to it!

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

macado posted:

Found a couple old bottles while scallop diving this Sunday. Half of the bottles I find tend to be circa-1990 Budweiser bottles so I don't always grab bottles when scallop diving but sometimes it pays off. Water temperature is a balmy 41F degrees right now.

Stoneware bottle from mid to late 1800s. Stamp on bottom says Grosvenor 2 Glasgow. Old ginger beer bottle most likely.
Pepsi-Cola bottle from 1941 (Ok..this one is not really that old).

My friend who has been diving the harbor for 25 years literally has hundred of old bottles, jugs, etc. There tons of things to be found around Boston Harbor. Half of the harbor islands were old dump sites for trash.

Nice to find these kind of things.

I live near the Nordsea and we have a lot of wrecks. Some are protected but most are not.

This is one example. Just an random movie found on youtube about the North Sea and some diver finding stuff on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfI39Dtm4vs&feature=player_embedded

Crazy C
Dec 3, 2010
STOP LEECHING IMAGES, DICKFACE
I have no experience with diving and it's something that's always interested me as I have family in another country who run a tourist diving shop and would really like to consider moving over that side in a year or two.

I have been looking at the PADI courses and trying a decrypt the tree (it's higher grade for me, i know :smith:) and would like to know what direction I should be heading in to become an instructor at some stage? I understand this will take time but would just like to know where to start and where to from there?

Would appreciate any feedback.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

open water to advanced open water to rescue diver + efr sometime before divemaster to divemaster to open water instructor

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Crazy C posted:

I have no experience with diving and it's something that's always interested me as I have family in another country who run a tourist diving shop and would really like to consider moving over that side in a year or two.

I have been looking at the PADI courses and trying a decrypt the tree (it's higher grade for me, i know :smith:) and would like to know what direction I should be heading in to become an instructor at some stage? I understand this will take time but would just like to know where to start and where to from there?

Would appreciate any feedback.

I hear this a lot.
People get fanatic about diving before they even start diving.

No problem with that.

First you start with the organisation usual PADI because it is the big one.
Well then you start you first diving course and a few after that.

There is always an but...

You really need to be fanatic because being an instructor has a bad financial income.
And you HAVE to dive.

The most instructors I know do this just for fun in their spare time. They try to get some students or even just one and start teaching them during weekends.

The best thing you can do is just start the first courses and check what you really want after that.

Crazy C
Dec 3, 2010

Orions Lord posted:

I hear this a lot.
People get fanatic about diving before they even start diving.

No problem with that.

First you start with the organisation usual PADI because it is the big one.
Well then you start you first diving course and a few after that.

There is always an but...

You really need to be fanatic because being an instructor has a bad financial income.
And you HAVE to dive.

The most instructors I know do this just for fun in their spare time. They try to get some students or even just one and start teaching them during weekends.

The best thing you can do is just start the first courses and check what you really want after that.

Thanks for the help. Yeah I'm not really looking for financial gratification. Getting to a stage where I'm kinda over the concrete jungle and would like to change while I still have the opportunity.

eviljelly posted:

open water to advanced open water to rescue diver + efr sometime before divemaster to divemaster to open water instructor

Figured Open-Water was the starting point. I take it those are all prerequisites among other things?

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Crazy C posted:

Thanks for the help. Yeah I'm not really looking for financial gratification. Getting to a stage where I'm kinda over the concrete jungle and would like to change while I still have the opportunity.

Well in that case it is easy just start out with the diving.

Good Luck

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Crazy C posted:

Figured Open-Water was the starting point. I take it those are all prerequisites among other things?

Depending on what country you're in, you may have to do a dive medical. In Australia it's a pre requisite to do the Open Water.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

I need to crimp the mono on. It sounds pretty straightforward, and I already have a crimping tool so I'll probably give it a shot later this week

It only has the two tabs on the back. Yeah, I'm sure things will loosen up after I get some time on them. I was hoping to go out this Monday, but plans are changing and I might not get a chance until the weekend after this one. Oh well, I'm still looking forward to it!

Crimping the mono is mostly easy but there are a few gotcha's you need to be aware of.

One is to ensure the loop crimped onto the spear is large enough that it fits in the mech easily, but is also small enough that it doesnt interfere with your bands or sharkfin tabs.
Basically like this:

The other important thing is cutting it the right length so that you can load the shooting line easy, but its tight enough that it doesn't fall off. To do this I recommend attaching the mono to the spear first. loading the spear into the gun, wrapping the shooting line on the gun as you would normally, and then bringing the mono up to the end of the pigtail swivel/shock cord. Cut the mono a little long so you can make the loop on the swivel. Loop it with the crimp attached, and then adjust the loop until you have a good amount of tension.

You might kill a few learning to feel the right tension (crimping it too long or short) but its a skill you've gotta learn as shooting lines are highly consumable. I replace mine every 1-2 times I go out.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy C
Dec 3, 2010

Tomberforce posted:

Depending on what country you're in, you may have to do a dive medical. In Australia it's a pre requisite to do the Open Water.

I'm from South Africa