Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

Batham posted:

Half a year later and I still dislike the N7 Destroyer when compared to the bog standard human soldier. I just love adrenaline rush for a quick reload and shield regen along with extra flexibility over the extra shootstuff the Destroyer gets. Am I insane?

They're pretty different roles. Destroyer excels with the high sustained fire weapons like typhoon and particle rifle, while normal soldier is for the hard hitting weapons like a-12 or claymore. Though I do agree, human basic soldier with the claymore is probably my favorite kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

Kaizer88 posted:

They're pretty different roles. Destroyer excels with the high sustained fire weapons like typhoon and particle rifle, while normal soldier is for the hard hitting weapons like a-12 or claymore. Though I do agree, human basic soldier with the claymore is probably my favorite kit.

The buff to the Hawk missile launcher helps as well. If you could cloak and use the Collector Captain melee you could play Predator all round!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm wondering about this phase disruptor change. Normally at evo 4, I take damage over radius. But with the ability to fire off so many more now, I wonder if radius is worth it to just spam the poo poo out of an area and you still do more cumulative damage than the old PD with the extra shots.

but on the other hand, more damage and more shots means straight up more damage. I haven't run numbers to know if this doesn't hit the Magic Stagger Damage Limit on gold.

hmmm! I'm going to try radius. Respecs are cheap. If someone else wants to, let me know what you find out.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
AT-12 Raider + Quarian Infiltrator = hilarity at extreme close range.

highmodulus posted:

The buff to the Hawk missile launcher helps as well. If you could cloak and use the Collector Captain melee you could play Predator all round!

Does this still halve your shield?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Monolith. posted:

AT-12 Raider + Quarian Infiltrator = hilarity at extreme close range.

Does this still halve your shield?
Nope. With the right evo, it only takes 10% off your shields.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
So I just tried a random platinum game, and it was Rio/Reapers. The other three players immediately went and hung out inside the container fort. I set up alone by the other ammo box in the containers. I seldom play platinum and this was the first time I'd seen the Rio farming box in action--does that strategy actually work? All three of them died constantly and I had to run over and bail them out once or twice per wave. Finally in Wave 8 I was bushwhacked and sync-killed by a Phantom while trying to revive them, and without they managed to medigel and chain revive for about 30 seconds before they wiped.

I have to ask, does that strategy actually work? As far as I could tell the only advantage is that Banshees couldn't grab them, and the disadvantage was that packing everybody into that tiny alcove made them ridiculously vulnerable to most everything else. A couple of the times I had to bail them, they'd all been killed by a single Marauder.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Nope. With the right evo, it only takes 10% off your shields.
It's also 10% base if I recall (as in, it doesn't count Devastator Mode when it subtracts your shields) so it's an even less of an hit than it seems.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Insert name here posted:

It's also 10% base if I recall (as in, it doesn't count Devastator Mode when it subtracts your shields) so it's an even less of an hit than it seems.
Pretty much. This guy gets 1950 shields with the Hawk on. It's great now. It doesn't do a huge amount of damage but it reliably staggers targets, which is more than worth 100 shields in terms of staying alive.

Moose12
Dec 8, 2007

shit YEAH

EvanSchenck posted:

So I just tried a random platinum game, and it was Rio/Reapers. The other three players immediately went and hung out inside the container fort. I set up alone by the other ammo box in the containers. I seldom play platinum and this was the first time I'd seen the Rio farming box in action--does that strategy actually work? All three of them died constantly and I had to run over and bail them out once or twice per wave. Finally in Wave 8 I was bushwhacked and sync-killed by a Phantom while trying to revive them, and without they managed to medigel and chain revive for about 30 seconds before they wiped.

I have to ask, does that strategy actually work? As far as I could tell the only advantage is that Banshees couldn't grab them, and the disadvantage was that packing everybody into that tiny alcove made them ridiculously vulnerable to most everything else. A couple of the times I had to bail them, they'd all been killed by a single Marauder.

If you have the right classes it works alright. Specifically if you have a volus just spamming shield boost it works but it's super boring. I know of another goon who goes in spams shield boost and plays words with friends.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
That reminds me of the pressing 1,2,7, 1,2,7...infinitely to activate the 3 needed skills for combat in Everquest 2.
So boring.

I had the "pleasure" of playing Firebase White/Geth/Plat pre-changes with some guys once or twice which was the dullest thing ever.
Yesterday I was introduced to "boredom light" aka Ghost/Reapers/Plat.
All you get to do is huddle in the starting zone, while a Turian Ghost goes to do the objectives.
We never saw a drone mission, I guess that would have ment instant death.

Yeah, my profile is not maxed after nearly 300 hours, but whatever. Words with Friends really would be more entertaining than constant platfarming.
Gold is so much more fun, at least I get to play around with some builds and to roam freely instead of using that one perfectly fitting build that supports the effort to live though an onslaught of creatues while moving exactly 3 feet per minute.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

EvanSchenck posted:

A friend of mine and myself practically duo Platinum this way, specifically with myself as a Volus engineer and her as a Destroyer. It makes things way easy because the only thing that can sync-kill you are Phantoms (which she responds to by making GBS threads grenades everywhere), Ravagers don't seem to fire their missiles that close, and it funnels everything conveniently so it's one of the few times I see random teammates actually focus-firing on the same targets. It's not exciting, so I end up watching Netflix, but it's hard to argue with piles of easy space money after watching a movie.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

EvanSchenck posted:

Yeah you have to have a good team. I revived the cerbguard build that was recommended for Glacier farming and he worked splendidly for box hiding. I'm now sure how you'd do it w/out at least one person that can crowd control through the box.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Yeah you have to have a good team. I revived the cerbguard build that was recommended for Glacier farming and he worked splendidly for box hiding. I'm now sure how you'd do it w/out at least one person that can crowd control through the box.

It doesn't. You just grenaded by mooks while fatties block the shots.

A lot of the problem is people just run to the box without paying attention to what class anyone is playing and you end up with four people with horrible synergy struggling to melt enemies.

On the other hand, it would probably be cake with anyone with Flamer and a Sentinel or something.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 17, 2013

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The key to Platinum Farming on Rio is just having a Volus that just spams shield boost ALL THE TIME to keep shields up and for damage reduction (needs to be specced for this)

Then, basically anything else added works. Grenade heavy setups work alright because that ammo box gives 2 grenades out at a time I think. Everyone just needs to throw out the occasional AoE powers/weapons if the enemies start crowding the immediate box area.

I've seen people people use the Acolyte to knock down Banshee barriers, Demolisher's spam the poo poo out of grenades, Reegars and Flamers, though the most clever thing I saw was setting up a Recon Mine on the inside wall of the box so that everyone can see the enemies getting close through the walls, and so you get the debuff going on them.

Vietnamwees fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 17, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Vietnamwees posted:

The key to Platinum Farming on Rio is just having a Volus that just spams shield boost ALL THE TIME to keep shields up and for damage reduction (needs to be specced for this)

Then, basically anything else added works. Grenade heavy setups work alright because that ammo box gives 2 grenades out at a time I think. Everyone just needs to throw out the occasional AoE powers/weapons if the enemies start crowding the immediate box area.

I've seen people people use the Acolyte to knock down Banshee barriers, Demolisher's spam the poo poo out of grenades, Reegars and Flamers, though the most clever thing I saw was setting up a Recon Mine on the inside wall of the box so that everyone can see the enemies getting close through the walls, and so you could do more damage to them.

That annoying shield boost reload glitch makes this really dodgy, I'd imagine.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Bioware Blog posted:

Operation: GERONIMO (Jan 18th-20th)

Event Description: Reaper units are identifying and targeting our team medics. To counter, we are increasing training in battlefield medicine for all N7 soldiers, regardless of specialty. By ensuring each soldier can deliver emergency care, we will confuse and frustrate the Reapers into abandoning their strategy.

Individual Goal: Earn any first aid medal on any map at any difficulty.

Reward: Commendation Pack

Well that's one operation that's gonna be tough to solo :haw:

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Burning Mustache posted:

[url=http://blog.bioware.com/2013/01/17/operation-geronimo/]

Well that's one operation that's gonna be tough to solo :haw:

Welp, time to look for games where everyone has the worst possible loadouts.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
"Can you just die please? I need to get my revive medal for the weekend challenge"

and then I laugh and you're forced to use a medigel

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

jpmeyer posted:

Welp, time to look for games where everyone has the worst possible loadouts.

What's considered a first aid medal? +5 revives or whatever?

If so, I get those mostly accidentally so

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
That one's going to be piss easy, just join any silver/gold pub game. :smug:

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

I'm just going to join some Collector games and intentionally wait for Possessed Abominations to get close to my teammates before killing them.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
That is going to be an uncomfortable weekend with pubs (moreso than usual). If you thought people yelling about stealing kills was bad, I'm not sure my brain could even process someone yelling over a mic for stealing revives. Good thing XCOM arrived yesterday! :v:

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Felinoid posted:

That is going to be an uncomfortable weekend with pubs (moreso than usual). If you thought people yelling about stealing kills was bad, I'm not sure my brain could even process someone yelling over a mic for stealing revives. Good thing XCOM arrived yesterday! :v:

Ironman Classic is basically gold with level 10s vanguards.

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

I'm just going to join some Collector games and intentionally wait for Possessed Abominations to get close to my teammates before killing them.

Cooking them in the reactor works too. :unsmigghh:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Seems like it would be less stressful to just let this operation happen normally, I get 5 revives in just about every pug. If you had to get 10-15 revive medals, that would be another story.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Welp I've been playing a lot of pugs anyway so this shouldn't be too hard.

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here
Renamed my Human Adept to Michael Bay, seemed appropriate

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Do you get revive credit for using a medigel transmitter gear?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Elotana posted:

No idea as I have never, ever used that. I would imagine you don't, but I really have no idea.

Also, while reading that blog post about this event, I hoped that enemies would focus-fire on players who have that gear equipped during the weekend, what with the flavor text about "enemy units targeting our medics" :v:

E: \/\/\/ Holy poo poo and I thought I got bad luck with UR cards :stare:

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
I kind of like my Collector SMG now at its at level VII. Nice little weapon on caster classes. Especially with Warp ammo. Plus killing Collectors with their own gun seems right.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

osigas posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7ssUivM-eM

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

osigas posted:

because you suck?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Holy poo poo why is Condor such a lovely loving map

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Elotana posted:

Whoa, hold on, what is this?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Monolith. posted:

Whoa, hold on, what is this?

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Effect_3_Multiplayer/Character_Customization/Gear#Medi-Gel_Transmitter

A Gold rarity gear item that was introduced with the last big multiplayer DLC.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
The medigel transmitter is pretty cool, it saved quite a few matches for me even at rank I.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I use it on my volus and no you don't get any credit for rezzing the ungrateful fucks around you.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Burning Mustache posted:

Holy poo poo why is Condor such a lovely loving map
I've played a lot in the past couple of weeks and haven't seen it once. I thought maybe they took it out of rotation.

I have seen Reactor/Collectors an unfuckinggodly amount though.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 18, 2013

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I've gotten Condor so many goddamned times lately. Once was with the worst drat pubbie who wouldn't shut up, died at least three times per round, and panicked and used half his missiles on wave 3. And I made the mistake of yelling at him and now he won't stop trying to friend me on Origin. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
One time I got so pissed off on like Wave Six that I fired off all my missiles in one go. gently caress Geth stagger and having to medigel twice just to escape

~*balance*~ (all enemy factions must have cheap bullshit mechanics that make recovery from a camping enemy impossible!)

so maybe it wasn't panic as much as JESUS loving CHRIST gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU!!!

• Locked thread