Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone ever comes across scans of stuff like that and wants to translate, I'd be glad to do the cleanup work and put the English bubbles back in. I started a small translation group for weird game comics but most of my translators have stopped at this point so i haven't had much of anything to work on for awhile now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
Every time I see a guide referring to Samus as masculine/male, I can't help but wonder if they knew, but chose to mislead you to keep it a surprise.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Tobaccrow posted:

Every time I see a guide referring to Samus as masculine/male, I can't help but wonder if they knew, but chose to mislead you to keep it a surprise.

Eh, probably not; I think the manga authors were just following the magazines in that respect (or drummed up their own rumors; I think it was Famicom Rocky that jumpstarted the talk about how you could fight Sylvia at the end of Kung Fu). But I do think it's fun to see all that Japanese media when they were right "as it happened," because of *course* Samus would be a guy, or a robot, or a guy robot.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Man I thought game programmer takeshi was going to be about a kid who laughs evilly while programming games where the user has to wait without pressing a button for an hour to advance.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

zari-gani posted:

I imagine they were quite popular. Famicom Manga Comic Cafe is my favourite segment and I think all those comics are as fascinating as they are hilarious. There was even a comic called "Game Programmer Takeshi":

It's about a kid whose dad buys him a Famicom and Famicom BASIC but no games, so he has to teach himself to program his own games.

There were also lots of game walkthroughs in comic form. I found a gallery of cover art for them (these are mostly screenshots and guides but there are some comic pages): Page 1, Page 2

There's barely any inside scans uploaded unfortunately.

Why does all this art look so familiar, who did these comics?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

Why does all this art look so familiar, who did these comics?

It's because a lot of manga art in the 80's looked extremely similar in style.

But to answer your question, the guide books were all done by different artists (Daisuke Shigoto, Shou Kobayashi to name a couple... Yuuchou Minatsugi did the Metroid one). Yuuta Konhi did Programmer Takeshi. None of these are big names. Japanese comics aimed toward young boys back were a sea of identical styles -- that's why artists like Akira Toriyama stood out.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 16, 2013

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

rdbbb posted:

I think it was Famicom Rocky that jumpstarted the talk about how you could fight Sylvia at the end of Kung Fu).

Beat the game 50 times to fight Sylvia!

Thanks a lot Famicom Rocky ... :negative:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've tried to find some Famicom manga but haven't had any luck. I don't know if it's because it's become collectable or because the limited life span of manga has pushed it out to more obscure places.

On the other hand apparently there's currently retrogaming manga. Amazon.co.jp has recommended a couple of them to me.

zari-gani posted:

It's because a lot of manga art in the 80's looked extremely similar in style.

But to answer your question, the guide books were all done by different artists (Daisuke Shigoto, Shou Kobayashi to name a couple... Yuuchou Minatsugi did the Metroid one). Yuuta Konhi did Programmer Takeshi. None of these are big names. Japanese comics aimed toward young boys back were a sea of identical styles -- that's why artists like Akira Toriyama stood out.

The assembly line nature of the Japanese comics industry doesn't help at all here.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Random Stranger posted:

The assembly line nature of the Japanese comics industry doesn't help at all here.

Let's be fair, this also happens in American comics. Back in the 80's, most artists tried to imitate John Byrne and George Pérez, not to mention the 90's when everyone added pouches and guns, to be like Rob Liefeld, Jim Lee or Todd McFarlane.

Back to show discussion, I'd like Arino to take on some american superhero games, like Maximum Carnage, Death and Rebirth of Superman, or the X-Men/Infinity Gems side-scrollers by Capcom.

Guess I'll have to make-do with the Robocop episode. :unsmith:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Maximum carnage is one of the most expensive retro games in Japan so I doubt that will happen.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I kinda want to see him play Superman 64 now that I think about it. That game would be soul crushing to try to play through and beat.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I kinda want to see him play Superman 64 now that I think about it. That game would be soul crushing to try to play through and beat.

Well, if any game has 'unique gameplay'...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kal-L posted:

Let's be fair, this also happens in American comics. Back in the 80's, most artists tried to imitate John Byrne and George Pérez, not to mention the 90's when everyone added pouches and guns, to be like Rob Liefeld, Jim Lee or Todd McFarlane.

I could go on forever with the problems with the American comic industry but they're a different set of problems than the Japanese industry where there's a need to pump out as much content as possible to fill those magazines. And obviously good work is done all over the place, I was only talking about the broad movements of industry.

Anyway, back to GCCX. Sadly, Disney operates rival networks to Fuji so we're not going to see Marvel, Disney, or Star Wars on Game Center CX anytime soon. As far as I can tell there aren't any major media congolmerates that have a relationship with Fuji TV. Sony is the best bet for any future licensed games; they currently own a good portion of Robocop so obviously they're willing to work with the show...

Edit: Also, Superman 64 was never released in Japan. I guess this is to make up for them containing Super Monkey Adventures...

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Disney don't own any rights to the original film so maybe he could play the terrible famicom Star Wars game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Disney don't own any rights to the original film so maybe he could play the terrible famicom Star Wars game.

I believe you mean the awesome Famicom Star Wars game. :colbert:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
For a second, I was gonna say "oh man I wanna see Arino lose at Super Return of the Jedi," but then I remembered that I was terrible at that game and could barely get through the third stage, and I was a kid who was pretty good at games. It'd probably be a GnG kind of situation where the ADs play most of the game and then make him do the Speeder Bike and the Millenium Falcon parts.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Watching Arino struggle to fly through rings over and over (seeing how that's most of the game) would really not be that much fun to watch.

edit: that was a bad typo

Shock Trooper fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 17, 2013

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Is there a reason the NeoGeo gets so little playtime in the GCCX challenges? I know Metal Slug is featured in almost all the game center visits so he could skip that. There were a lot of great games on it, fighters (he did do fatal fury), puzzle games, shooters, and beat-em ups. Chief please show us your Mutation Nation skills.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Kal-L posted:

I wanted to find an image that kind of summarizes 90's superhero comics in a nutshell. Boy it didn't take long.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

I want to read this. Please tell me there's a place to read it. I tried searching プログラマーたけし but maybe I got the name wrong?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Blackchamber posted:

Is there a reason the NeoGeo gets so little playtime in the GCCX challenges?

Id guess because Gascoin would have to mortgage the building to get a handful of Neogeo games.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I really can't think of a neo-geo game that would make a challenge good enough to justify the investment. That and I'm pretty sure they were put off after the Fatal Fury Special challenge.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

mekkanare posted:

I want to read this. Please tell me there's a place to read it. I tried searching プログラマーたけし but maybe I got the name wrong?

I think the name is definitely correct: I can find information about the comic itself but no place to read it. If it's scanlations you're after then I think you're especially out of luck. Amazon and Rakuten also come up with nothing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

From what I can find, it may be that Game Programer Takeshi may have never been collected.  

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

I really can't think of a neo-geo game that would make a challenge good enough to justify the investment. That and I'm pretty sure they were put off after the Fatal Fury Special challenge.

Magician Lord?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Twinkle Star Sprites staff tournament!

EDIT: or WINDJAMMERS

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Well I get your point about the price of the NeoGeo. Its crazy expensive on eBay just barebones. I just figured in Japan they had more of them around for resale.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

EDIT: or WINDJAMMERS
Great great game.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 17, 2013

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I think that more to the point, a lot of Neo Geo games are fairly repetitive and low on new content. The Neo Geo has some neat puzzle games, but they get as samey as Puyo Puyo. The fighting games are pretty much impossible to beat the computer in without cheesing, which somehow makes those even more dull and repetitive to watch. And while Metal Slug defies both of these problems, it's already been done to death so much on the show that a whole episode devoted to a Metal Slug game would be pointless.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Mister Chief posted:

They specifically did Fatal Fury Special because it was Nakayama's last day as AD, since it was his favorite game and kept suggesting it backstage for Arino to try.

Otherwise, I would say the Neo-Geo games still being expensive to this day would make for the biggest reason why GCCX doesn't feature them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Aku posted:

Otherwise, I would say the Neo-Geo games still being expensive to this day would make for the biggest reason why GCCX doesn't feature them.

The absurdly expensive line up of season 15 goes against that theory. I suspect that they just didn't own the NeoGeo they used for Fatal Fury Special and have no intention of digging up another one.

OTOH, season 16 has been a lot less expensive. Maybe Takahashi just knew enough to point out the interesting rare games...

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Blackchamber posted:

Is there a reason the NeoGeo gets so little playtime in the GCCX challenges? I know Metal Slug is featured in almost all the game center visits so he could skip that. There were a lot of great games on it, fighters (he did do fatal fury), puzzle games, shooters, and beat-em ups. Chief please show us your Mutation Nation skills.

I enjoy Mutation Nation more than most people do too but I don't think it would be a great challenge :P

Most Neo-Geo games have a 4-credit limit on the home system. While pretty much any Neo-Geo game can be finished on one credit with enough practice, something like Metal Slug on 4 credits might be out of reach of Arino. Of course, they could end up allowing him to use a memory card to save the level he reached, but essentially being given 4 credits for every level would trivialize the challenge of a lot of games. This isn't even counting the games that give unlimited continues anyway.

Unfortunately a large part of the Neo-Geo's library is fighting games, which Arino has proven to not be so great at. While there aren't many fighting games that are as difficult as Fatal Fury Special (I think only Art of Fighting 2 is on the same level of difficulty), many of the King of Fighters games end up having ridiculous bosses at the end anyway. Either way, it's always hard for me to watch Arino play any fighting game because not only is he bad at them he doesn't seem to learn anything as he plays. Shooters are another weak genre for him, and most can be credit-fed unless you have the 4-credit limit. Last Resort, Viewpoint, and Pulstar are all checkpoint-based though... Pulstar could be an entertaining one since it's one of the more graphically impressive Neo-Geo games. It's quite brutal when you die and lose your powerups though...

Magician Lord might be good because of the checkpoints, but that could end up backfiring and make for a short challenge like Ninja Spirit. NAM-1975 also has a last boss that gives you instant game over if you lose all your lives, which is kind of a dick move after all the unlimited continues for the rest of the game.

But hey, if Metal Slug's been done to death, he could just play Shock Troopers instead! He's only played it in one Tamage and it had a broken button! (then again, it didn't get a home cartridge release so that's out. It's been released in a couple compilations and on the Wii Virtual Console and Playstation Network, but....)

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I mean, there's still a ton of Super Famicom games he has yet to play, right? And I do so enjoy when he plays obscure and ridiculous NES/Famicom games like that Dakar Ralley one. There must be a lot more of those too.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I should mention that I'm on board the Retro Game Challenge 2 translation team now.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

zari-gani posted:

I should mention that I'm on board the Retro Game Challenge 2 translation team now.

Thank you i love you

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

zari-gani posted:

nene. posted:

Thank you i love you

Seconded. I am officially hyped.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

zari-gani posted:

God bless you.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Will this be a ROM translation or a complimentary guide/text file? Or is someone actually going to publish the game in US?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

zari-gani posted:

:toot:

SOMEDAY I CAN PLAY IT IN BEAUTIFULLY TRANSLATED ENGLISH~

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lifespan posted:

Will this be a ROM translation or a complimentary guide/text file? Or is someone actually going to publish the game in US?

ROM, duder. RGC1 bombed pretty hard, so there's little to no chance of it getting an official release, especially this late after it came out (and this long after the 3DS came out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Ő_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Ő

zari-gani posted:

This is the best news I've heard in the past few days. I hope that whoever's left on the team will work hard on finally getting RGC2 out so we can all experience it's awesomeness. :)