Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
Are hot flashes a normal thing? I'm 31 weeks now, and despite it being cold as balls in our bedroom at night, I wake up sweaty and uncomfortable, and I think I'm getting heat rash on my thighs, which is lovely and itchy and ugh.

Also, hip pain. Sometimes vaginal pain. Terrible, terrible heartburn. I have my GP appointment on Friday, and usually I can alleviate it by sitting on my birthing ball, and if that doesn't work, just walking around a little will help. Am I just getting to the lovely uncomfortable phase of pregnancy now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soft kitty
Dec 7, 2012

Dandy Shrew posted:

Are hot flashes a normal thing? I'm 31 weeks now, and despite it being cold as balls in our bedroom at night, I wake up sweaty and uncomfortable, and I think I'm getting heat rash on my thighs, which is lovely and itchy and ugh.

Also, hip pain. Sometimes vaginal pain. Terrible, terrible heartburn. I have my GP appointment on Friday, and usually I can alleviate it by sitting on my birthing ball, and if that doesn't work, just walking around a little will help. Am I just getting to the lovely uncomfortable phase of pregnancy now?

Yes, hot flashes are normal.

I'm almost 34 weeks and have been having problems with my hips popping while walking. My OB said she could refer me for physical therapy, but I didn't want to bother as I already have so many medical appointments a week and I'm on partial bed rest so I'm not walking much anyway. I do know there are exercises that can help with hip issues.

Have you tried Zantac for the heartburn? That worked for me for quite a while. I now have a prescription for Protonix, and I've only had mild heartburn a couple times since I've been on it.

Poison Cake
Feb 15, 2012

Ender.uNF posted:

Oh, and a hearty "gently caress you" to all the parents out there that use selective memory and bubble on and on about how great having their baby was. Newborns are poo poo, they steal your soul and ruin your life, but you can't stop because you love them. No sleeping, no personal time, just feed, burp, clean up poop. Personally I knew we were in for a tough time for the first few months so it's about what I expect, but my wife cries every other day because she thinks she's supposed to be having this wonderful breastfeeding bonding experience. You do a disservice to new moms by not talking about the frustrations, etc.

Quoting because this was certainly my experience. The first three months are the worst, IMHO. If you can get any extra hands on board (family members, paid help), do it.

I also wanted to comment on breastfeeding. If you've done any breastfeeding, your baby has already gotten some of the benefits. Once you've given it a good try, don't feel any guilt about going to formula.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Dandy Shrew posted:

Hot flashes are normal, I've been getting bad night sweats for weeks now. Yes, you are getting to the lovely uncomfortable phase, don't expect it to get any better til baby is out :saddowns: I have tons of painful contractions, back pain, hip pain, acid reflux, and my first stretch marks, all of which have started in the last two weeks and have gotten progressively worse since baby dropped last week. I'm now 35 weeks 4 days.

Also, if it hasn't started yet, get ready for some potentially hellacious insomnia.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Dandy Shrew posted:

The heartburn doesn't necessarily get steadily worse and worse. For me, it's been bad for a while, then better, then back again etc. But yeah, final weeks of pregnancy are uncomfortable. I'm very ready to be done now!

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Thanks for the replies, I was not in a happy place last night. Mom woke up this morning very irritated, but neither of us are morning people so that's not abnormal. I hope to start the intensive feeding/pumping shortly and see if it helps over the next two days. At least he's above his birth weight now.

I just ordered some fenugreek so we'll see if it helps. I'll report back on our progress.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Ender.uNF posted:

I just ordered some fenugreek so we'll see if it helps. I'll report back on our progress.

If you're in the US (I don't know if it's available elsewhere), Motherlove's More Milk Plus is also a great option. You can pair it up with fenugreek for a double hit of herbs (that are all verified to increase milk production). Amazon usually has it the cheapest, I've found.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
My baby lost over 10% of birth weight. The doctor told us twice to use formula. We rented a hospital grade pump and breastfed through that first week. Baby is now 3 months and a nice little chubs.

Apparently there is a weight loss study happening now trying to show that birth weights are meaningless. It's a 20 year study or something though so there are no results yet. When the mom get's an IV in the hospital it pumps up the babies birth weight is the theory. Then they are born and lose all that fluid weight and have more than 10% weight loss.

Is your baby having enough wet diapers per day? (Over 6) If they are having enough wet diapers they are getting enough. Milk can take it's sweet time coming in. Colostrum will keep your baby nourished and fed. Their stomach is the size of a marble the first week. They don't need very much at all.

It sounds like you're going through a lot of what we went through. Our baby just wouldn't stay awake long enough to feed. The nipple would go in his mouth and he'd pass out. Do you have a nursing support group at the hospital you gave birth at? They usually have a scale there so you can weigh your baby at the weekly meetings. Then you see he's gaining weight and is getting enough food. Don't worry, it get's better. Pretty soon your baby will be in tummy time and then roll over to their back for the first time and be so proud of himself you'll forget all about nursing problems.

Also your wife is not a failure if she chooses not to breastfeed. She can read Tina Fey's book all about that :)

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Hdip posted:

My baby lost over 10% of birth weight. The doctor told us twice to use formula. We rented a hospital grade pump and breastfed through that first week. Baby is now 3 months and a nice little chubs.

Apparently there is a weight loss study happening now trying to show that birth weights are meaningless. It's a 20 year study or something though so there are no results yet. When the mom get's an IV in the hospital it pumps up the babies birth weight is the theory. Then they are born and lose all that fluid weight and have more than 10% weight loss.

Re birth weights: http://scopeblog.stanford.edu/2011/08/15/study-shows-link-between-maternal-iv-fluids-and-weight-loss-in-newborns/

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.

I wish I had known about this when E was born. I had been on a saline drip the entire 34 hours we were in the hospital pre-birth and then with normal beginning breastfeeding issues, he didn't gain weight very fast and was labelled "failure to thrive". I knew that was ridiculous as he had plenty of wet/soiled diapers and seemed otherwise fine, but as a frazzled first time mom, who was too much of a zombie to do medical research (looking back on it the Percocet really did a number on me) it was difficult to oppose the doctor. That diagnosis was hard to shake and made those first few months harder than they really needed to be. :(

Thanks Chickalicious, I am bookmarking this and plan to bring it up should we go down the same path with future kids.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
The two other supply boosters that worked for me are oatmeal, a big bowl every day, and making sure you are getting lots of water. Like 120 oz. a day. If you're not counting how much water you're drinking it's easy to find yourself not drinking enough, especially in winter. Those sound like old wives tales but the combination of those two helped me establish a good supply after my son was born. I had to supplement with formula for a couple of weeks until I could make enough.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 21, 2017

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Ender.uNF posted:

We just discovered today that after no more milk will come out with pumping, she can squeeze manually and milk squirts out...

I just passed this advice along and it worked great in conjunction with the pump. Thanks for the tip!

We've had success with oatmeal and a tea containing fenugreek (called something like "Mother's Milk"). My wife also believes that briefer feedings on each side (as opposed to 20 minutes on just the left) led to an increase in supply. However you guys decide to approach it, I hope things improve for you and your little guy.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

I wish I had known this three weeks ago. Wife was blown up like a balloon from the saline, maybe we didn't need to supplement with formula at all. I think we made a mistake not toughing it out the first week and the milk supply simply hasn't caught up.

I tried to get her to eat oatmeal this morning but she refused; she's depressed. I found her just setting the baby on the bed today and disinterested in him, which scares the poo poo out of me but I'm taking him right now and trying not to freak her out about it because I doubt that would help. If she weren't so depressed, we could hit the breastfeeding and pumping hard (especially now that he's gained weight) and see if we could break through... But I'm afraid she is just giving up. I tell her its normal, she's a good mom, and all that but it doesn't matter. I'm trying to make sure he has tummy time and gets stimulation while waiting for mom to recover but I can't carry this load by myself.

Her cousin is coming by tonight to spend some time with her. The cousin had an unplanned c-section just like her, and their daughter spent time in the ICU, almost died, etc so she knows how these things go. She refuses to even discuss seeing someone or attending support groups, so I'm hoping some family time will help her. They grew up together and seen each other through some hard times; I'm so thankful we have at least some family to rely on.

I'm probably making this sound more dramatic and severe than it really is. To everyone else having issues, you have my empathy... Know you aren't alone, whether mom or dad, and so far the little man is completely oblivious to our issues... He just loves staring at things, especially our faces. And farting. A lot.

Edit: Cousin time is helping a lot.

Simulated fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 17, 2013

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer

Ender.uNF posted:

Oh, and a hearty "gently caress you" to all the parents out there that use selective memory and bubble on and on about how great having their baby was. Newborns are poo poo, they steal your soul and ruin your life, but you can't stop because you love them. No sleeping, no personal time, just feed, burp, clean up poop. Personally I knew we were in for a tough time for the first few months so it's about what I expect, but my wife cries every other day because she thinks she's supposed to be having this wonderful breastfeeding bonding experience. You do a disservice to new moms by not talking about the frustrations, etc.

I cried almost every morning the first 6 weeks, and I didn't have PPD or anything. Having a newborn is just hell and lack of sleep makes you slightly insane. I also HATED breastfeeding...I ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks getting my gall bladder removed and then afterwards had complications when he was 3 months old and that was it for the breastfeeding. I am much happier without a baby latched onto my boob all the time, I really didn't "get" the special bonding thing people talk about either. I love my son and that's why I gave the breastfeeding thing a go but in the end I felt it was more important he had a happy, less stressed mom. I guess I never felt like a failure because in my opinion if you love your kid and you do your best to provide a happy, stable home for him you are a good parent and who cares what anyone else thinks.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Motherhood is basically hell and there's such a huge push to do things naturally, breastfeed, and so many other things that hit you when you're at your most hormonal and vulnerable.

If breastfeeding is hell for your wife and it's affecting her relationship with her child, just stop. Do formula. Plenty of babies grow up to be normal, healthy successful adults on formula.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Lyz posted:

Motherhood is basically hell and there's such a huge push to do things naturally, breastfeed, and so many other things that hit you when you're at your most hormonal and vulnerable.

If breastfeeding is hell for your wife and it's affecting her relationship with her child, just stop. Do formula. Plenty of babies grow up to be normal, healthy successful adults on formula.

Motherhood is pretty awful those first weeks. I want to punch people in the face who go all googoo about how they just fell in love at first sight, blah blah, enjoy every moment blah blah. It's loving hard. Do what you gotta do to get through.

I agree, if breastfeeding is hell, then don't feel like you have to exclusively breastfeed to be a good, responsible parent. And that's coming from someone who has nursed for 14 months and counting. There are surmountable obstacles which are worth tackling, and then there are things aren't worth putting oneself through. For me, I draw the line at having to pump milk. I loving hate pumping; it puts me in the foulest of moods, so I almost never do it. I was miserable for the time period I was nursing and pumping trying to up my supply. I was either in zombie mode or bitch mode, with no in between until I stopped pumping. If I was working out of the house, then no guilt about it, I would be supplementing with formula and would certainly not be a full-time pumping breastfeeder. Formula feeding isn't without it's own challenges, but you gotta do what makes sense for your family in terms of feeding, and everything else. And say "gently caress off" to anyone who criticizes your parenting choices.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Just a random thing I have been noticing about myself-- I haven't been sick, overly tired, or any of the 'bad' pregnancy symptoms yet (I'm 18 weeks today).

However, some things that I used to LOVE now just taste atrocious to me. I am convinced they are spoiled or bad but my husband tries them and says they taste the same as normal (for instance, I LOVE cranberry splash sierra mist but if I try to drink it now it tastes mostly like vomit).

Anyway else have weird things like this happen? How bizarre! I can only assume it is pregnancy related, just never something I thought would happen.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

sheri posted:

Just a random thing I have been noticing about myself-- I haven't been sick, overly tired, or any of the 'bad' pregnancy symptoms yet (I'm 18 weeks today).

However, some things that I used to LOVE now just taste atrocious to me. I am convinced they are spoiled or bad but my husband tries them and says they taste the same as normal (for instance, I LOVE cranberry splash sierra mist but if I try to drink it now it tastes mostly like vomit).

Anyway else have weird things like this happen? How bizarre! I can only assume it is pregnancy related, just never something I thought would happen.

That's reasonably common. It's also pretty common to suddenly really love something that you would normally find gross. My sister-in-laww gags at even the smell of sour cream, but she spent her entire second pregnancy practically guzzling the stuff. It wasn't a craving, it just suddenly tasted amazing to her.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Fionnoula posted:

That's reasonably common. It's also pretty common to suddenly really love something that you would normally find gross. My sister-in-laww gags at even the smell of sour cream, but she spent her entire second pregnancy practically guzzling the stuff. It wasn't a craving, it just suddenly tasted amazing to her.

Yeah I had that happen too. I ate mashed potatoes from KFC several times while pregnant. MASHED POTATOES. Ew. And I craved hotdogs during my first pregnancy even though I find them completely disgusting generally.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
I normally love coffee. During early pregnancy, just the smell of it makes me want to throw up :(

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Fionnoula posted:

It wasn't a craving, it just suddenly tasted amazing to her.

I've always been lucky in that I really like healthy foods, but during the pregnancy it's been ridiculous. Skimmed milk, proper homemade Norwegian-style wholemeal multigrain bread, fish spreads, crunchy vegetables, delicious fruit... It all tastes like magic unicorn food.
I'm eating blood oranges like they're going out of style (which they are - they're only in stores in the middle of winter :( )

Right now I'm eating rolled oats with skimmed milk. Tastes like rainbows.

It's almost enough to make up for the lack of stinky cheeses, bloody steaks and booze. But not quite.

Edit: I assume the temorary supertaster abilities are so we can spot spoiled/potentially harmful foods better, since fetus...es? fetii? can be harmed by things a normal healthy adult could eat just fine.

Sockmuppet fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 17, 2013

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
My sense of smell was so acute this early pregnancy that riding the subway train was disgusting. I could smell people's bad breath and sweaty armpits and it made me want to run away. Bleugh.

e: ^^ I craved really wholesome food the first months too. Now I crave ice cream constantly. Mmm ice cream.

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 17, 2013

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I was really lucky, I work in a cafe and during my entire pregnancy did not have a day of sickness. I had no food/smell aversions or any weird cravings, which was bloody fantastic considering Mon-Fri I was the barista, weekends I was the cook. I was surrounded by coffee and bacon and fish and all manner of other smells.

My only problem was that I couldn't drink hot coffee, not because of the taste but because it gave me a weird.. buzz? I dunno, it felt like I had a buzzy hum running through me afterward, like I was holding an electric fence.
I could drink the same espresso shot in cold milk and be fine though.. so I had an iced coffee every day. Hot tea was also fine.

I also couldn't get enough M&M's in my last few weeks. I ate so many many little coloured candy coated chocolate bits.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

rectal cushion posted:

My sense of smell was so acute this early pregnancy that riding the subway train was disgusting. I could smell people's bad breath and sweaty armpits and it made me want to run away. Bleugh.

e: ^^ I craved really wholesome food the first months too. Now I crave ice cream constantly. Mmm ice cream.

Oh man. During the first half of this pregnancy, my terrible brother in law lived with us and he only showered, at most, once a week. He did laundry twice in the 3 months he lived here, and he smoked like a god damned chimney. He didn't drink anything but coke and coffee, and the coffee he drank was cheap and smelled like armpits WITHOUT having a dude with nasty BO prepare it. I hated life so hard until my husband kicked his rear end out. I feel like I'm still airing the room he slept in out.

As for cravings or hating stuff I used to love.. salads, unfortunately. I used to be a fiend for leafy greens and now they all taste rotten to me. It's been really hard eating healthfully. On the other hand, I cannot stop eating clementines. I go through a box a week!

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

I didn't have any morning sickness or food aversions, aside from eggs for a couple of weeks in the beginning. I've craved macaroni and cheese, berries, and ice cream the whole time though. Last night I ate an entire pint of blackberries, mmmmmm.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
I too get random dislikes. With Chris it was Chinese food. With this one taco meat, or anything heavily spiced with cumin or paprika. Which is getting annoying because my husband will not shut up about wanting to make tacos or have Mexican food.

I do get on food kicks though, the current one is cookie dough ice cream. No complaints here. =)

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
I have eaten my weight and probably yours in citrus fruit. If there are popsicles in the house, I will eat them all. I was so lucky and didn't have morning sickness, just nausea, but the smell of red meat cooking, cooked mushrooms, and toast made me feel ill. My sense of smell is beyond ridiculous still.

I find out in 3 hours if I'm having a boy or a girl (19 weeks yesterday) and I'm NERVOUS!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I didn't have any cravings or anything but in the first trimester lemonade and a lot of other citrus drinks tasted bad to me. Like I had just brushed my teeth. Boiling chicken made me really nauseated from the smell too.

soft kitty
Dec 7, 2012
I'm towards the end of my pregnancy and I haven't been able to eat chicken since morning sickness hit in the first trimester. After the morning sickness eased up, the aversion remained.

Fruits tasted so good to me in the first trimester. With other foods, something would taste good to me for a while or ease my nausea, but then it would make me sick and I wouldn't be able to look at it again.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

rectal cushion posted:

I normally love coffee. During early pregnancy, just the smell of it makes me want to throw up :(

I've been having this problem, sometimes it smells like feces.

I've had horrible smell aversions since around week 7. I'm at 18 weeks now, and no sign of it letting up...The worst is when the cats go in the litter box. I can smell it in the whole house, and it makes me gag and sometimes even throw up.

I am always changing my food cravings. Lately it has been fresh fruit (fruit salad). It has been so amazing.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
There were pee-sticks and then a doctor's test, yet things didn't quite seem real, but today I accompanied my wife to get her vaginal ultrasound. I cried. Little dude or dudette in there being all twitchy and awesome. 9 1/2 weeks in apparently. I'm scared, but stoked, and I think everything's gonna be alright. Wow.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Shovelmint posted:

There were pee-sticks and then a doctor's test, yet things didn't quite seem real, but today I accompanied my wife to get her vaginal ultrasound. I cried. Little dude or dudette in there being all twitchy and awesome. 9 1/2 weeks in apparently. I'm scared, but stoked, and I think everything's gonna be alright. Wow.

Congratulations! More goon babies :3:

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Shovelmint posted:

Congrats! It's scary at the beginning, but by the end you'll be so excited to meet the little one that the terror will be a little less intense :)

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
It's a boy! Everything looks fine, good heartrate, anatomy all checks out, and he's an active little dude. I'm so, so thrilled. I've had a hard time "connecting" to this pregnancy (not depressed or upset about it, just detached) and this is exactly what I needed. My parents were with me, this will be the first grandchild, and it was so sweet.

Oh God now I have to pick out a name!

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Before I had an inkling I was pregnant, I took a swig of coffee and spit it out. It tasted exactly as if someone had ashed in my cup, even though I was standing in my own kitchen and neither of us smoke. It was the weirdest aversion I've ever felt, like I could almost taste the grittiness of the ashes. My husband drank it down and didn't detect a thing.

Edit: ^^ Congrats!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I forever ruined onions for my wife while she was pregnant. Made chicken cacciatore one night and something snapped, she couldn't even stand the leftovers being in the fridge. Ever since, she has had an aversion to onion in general.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

I forever ruined onions for my wife while she was pregnant.

I've probably saved something like 0,8 % of a whale by making my whaleloving mum throw up after eating whale when she was pregnant with me. She's never touched it since. I love it, though, so all in all my whale footprint is probably neutral.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
An aversion that never really went away for me is caviar :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sockmuppet posted:

I've probably saved something like 0,8 % of a whale by making my whaleloving mum throw up after eating whale when she was pregnant with me. She's never touched it since. I love it, though, so all in all my whale footprint is probably neutral.

If you don't mind my asking, where are you from that you eat whale?