Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Craig Spradlin posted:

I dunno, I saw what looked like zombies in there somewhere, and as much as I liked VHS, the last thing horror needs right now is more zombies.

The proliferation of zombie films and zombie elements in film itself constitutes a meta-work of horror. Soon all films will be zombie films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I hope everything actually looks analogue this time, or at least fake VHS treated. I'm convinced in the original the only direction they gave out was 'POV camera' and the actual VHS concept was an afterthought because nobody leveraged that and they were usually blatantly digital recordings.
Looks like there's a computer in the wraparound story, so it seems they're being smarter about it and we wont have to wonder why someone taped a screencaptured video call.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The best way to watch Paranormal Activity movies is in a crowded theatre on opening weekend. It's just tremendous experiencing these in that situation. Every jump scare is just amplified so much, as the entire audience will gasp, and then just go into a nervous laughter afterwards. I've enjoyed all the PA movies, but the only one I've rewatched is the original. I just wish they'd ditch the mythos behind the series, and have each movie be a standalone story, shot in a found footage style.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Agreed. I saw one in theaters and had a lot of fun. I watched three at home and just hosed around on facebook until something would bang or scream and then I'd rewind to see what fell over.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

I hope everything actually looks analogue this time, or at least fake VHS treated. I'm convinced in the original the only direction they gave out was 'POV camera' and the actual VHS concept was an afterthought because nobody leveraged that and they were usually blatantly digital recordings.
Looks like there's a computer in the wraparound story, so it seems they're being smarter about it and we wont have to wonder why someone taped a screencaptured video call.

I don't think it matters that much, since in V/H/S part of the creepiness is that you have no idea who would put all those scary videos on the tapes. There's also the theory that all 5 stories might actually be playing from the same tape.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
So that theory would mean the tape is being removed after each segment, the viewer is killed, and then the guy places the tape back on top of the vcr til the next guy comes in?

I've not really thought about it that way. It'd be interesting to see a horror movie explore those lines and show a series of murders all filmed on one tape by different people as some kind of sick cult gathering. I'm sure something like this already exists (and is probably a japanese film).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

This was never really a concern in the original either, though. The tapes don't make sense because they're haunted. Bam, I solved it for you.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's one haunted tape that shows a different student film every time. And then you die offscreen.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I cannot wait for S-V/H/S. The wraparound story for V/H/S isn't brilliant or anything but the way some people go on about it you'd think they had never seen an Amicus horror anthology in their life. Just be thankful it wasn't THEY'RE ALL DEAD AND THIS IS HELL, WHICH IS WHY WE ONLY HAVE VIDEO. My favourite wraparound story is probably Asylum - shame about the actual content.

I just found out Lords of Salem is playing at my local film festival next month & I am dying to see it. Zombie is probably my favourite horror director right now.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'd love to own a haunted videocassette.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BisonDollah posted:

The wraparound story for V/H/S isn't brilliant or anything but the way some people go on about it you'd think they had never seen an Amicus horror anthology in their life. Just be thankful it wasn't THEY'RE ALL DEAD AND THIS IS HELL, WHICH IS WHY WE ONLY HAVE VIDEO.

Hahaha, this is very accurate. The wraparound is definitely the weakest part of V/H/S, but that's pretty much always true of horror anthologies (although the one in Tales from the Darkside is kinda cute).

edit: I guess another exception could be The Signal, which is basically one big wraparound story.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
The problem with V/H/S is that it's actually six movies. People think it's just one movie, so they don't like it because it's not very coherent. But it's six movies. Some of them are good, some of them are not.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

scary ghost dog posted:

The problem with V/H/S is that it's actually six movies. People think it's just one movie, so they don't like it because it's not very coherent. But it's six movies. Some of them are good, some of them are not.

I disliked it because most of them are not good, and maybe one or two were decent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Paranormal Activity 4 is really really bad but has one bright spot. When the creepy neighbor kid comes over he unpacks a fork and says "it tells the future."

Am I the only one who would have enjoyed a film about that more than the poo poo we got?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Nobody wondered this except crazy people.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Paranormal Activity 4 is really really bad but has one bright spot. When the creepy neighbor kid comes over he unpacks a fork and says "it tells the future."

Am I the only one who would have enjoyed a film about that more than the poo poo we got?

Haha I forgot about that, it never comes up again either does it?

I think the twist in S-VHS is that the guy who set up the room full of TVs and planted the WATCH ME tape was actually the tv guy from Slacker.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LesterGroans posted:

Nobody wondered this except crazy people.

Really? You didn't find it hilariously stupid that someone hooked their computer up to a TV with a VCR to lay down Skype conversations on VHS?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Sire Oblivion posted:

Really? You didn't find it hilariously stupid that someone hooked their computer up to a TV with a VCR to lay down Skype conversations on VHS?

They say in the movie that there's a market for VHS recordings of people dying.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sire Oblivion posted:

Why do you assume that's what happened? Later on in the framing story the dead guy found with the tapes comes back to life and kills everyone. Several of the tapes feature bizarre glitches that imply them to be supernatural objects. Clearly, there is a lot of poo poo not right about those tapes.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sire Oblivion posted:

No stupider than a succubus acting like a boozed up party girl to impress a dude, or a digital video glitch murdering people and teleporting around, or aliens using a cover story of ghosts to harvest organs with the help of a sleazy middleman, or a bunch of idiots mistakenly attending an exorcism instead of a halloween party.

a note from penismightier:
jackass.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 17, 2013

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

scary ghost dog posted:

No stupider than a succubus acting like a boozed up party girl to impress a dude, or a digital video glitch murdering people and teleporting around, or aliens using a cover story of ghosts to harvest organs with the help of a sleazy middleman, or a bunch of idiots mistakenly attending an exorcism instead of a halloween party. spoilers

Well the whole movie is a stupid piece of poo poo (though I liked the first two stories), but it's just funny they chose a dead(:ghost:) medium like VHS tapes to be haunted. A haunted, archaic electronic medium that hasn't been relevant in over a decade and degrades quickly! Oh no! Poor haunted tapes, what are they going to do when no one has VCRs anymore (the present)?

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

Sire Oblivion posted:

Well the whole movie is a stupid piece of poo poo (though I liked the first two stories), but it's just funny they chose a dead(:ghost:) medium like VHS tapes to be haunted. A haunted, archaic electronic medium that hasn't been relevant in over a decade and degrades quickly! Oh no! Poor haunted tapes, what are they going to do when no one has VCRs anymore (the present)?

Probably be in a movie where the premise is that some guy has a giant pile of tvs and VHS players and a mound of VHS tapes of people dying.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Sire Oblivion posted:

To be fair, one of the most successful horror films of the past decade was also based on the premise of a haunted VHS tape.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

Well the whole movie is a stupid piece of poo poo (though I liked the first two stories), but it's just funny they chose a dead(:ghost:) medium like VHS tapes to be haunted. A haunted, archaic electronic medium that hasn't been relevant in over a decade and degrades quickly! Oh no! Poor haunted tapes, what are they going to do when no one has VCRs anymore?

I don't get this at all, it makes a lot more sense to me for an archaic medium to be haunted than like an iPad.

"oh no! an old abandoned house no one has entered in over a decade is haunted! poor ghosts, what are they gonna do when the house is torn down or just collapses due to neglect?"

Not to mention that, like, if we're assuming it's a HAUNTED vhs tape, I doubt the tape degrading is going to be a big deal??

Criticize the movie for being unaesthetic or thematically stupid or some other legitimate reason, don't go all "are we to assume this is some kind of magic xylophone" on it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sire Oblivion posted:

Did you have this same problem with the Ring?

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.
All of my VHS tapes are haunted.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'd love to see "Nobody uses reel-to-reel tape recorders anymore" listed as an IMDB goof for Evil Dead.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

Well, good news, because you will get your wish.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I simply cannot enjoy Rosemary's Baby, because God is dead.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

acephalousuniverse posted:

I don't get this at all, it makes a lot more sense to me for an archaic medium to be haunted than like an iPad.
I really can't believe in any haunted house that doesn't look like it was built in the last 10 years or so.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

I simply cannot enjoy Rosemary's Baby, because God is dead.

Since there has been a lot of references to Rosemary's Baby in this thread as of late, did you guys know that there is a sequel book? It's a real sequel made by the author of the original Rosemary's Baby book and it's completely unrelated to that dreadful sequel TV movie, Look What's Happened to Rosemary's Baby.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

I simply cannot enjoy Poltergeist, because ghosts do not exist.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Nah, I'm kinda down with that line of thought. I'm willing to suspend disbelief for a lot of dumb bullshit especially in horror but for whatever reason "putting eyecam and skype footage on VHS" definitely made me go "wait, what?" for at least the time enough to take me out of the film.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

weekly font posted:

Nah, I'm kinda down with that line of thought. I'm willing to suspend disbelief for a lot of dumb bullshit especially in horror but for whatever reason "putting eyecam and skype footage on VHS" definitely made me go "wait, what?" for at least the time enough to take me out of the film.
To be fair, that is my least favorite segment, but not because I didn't buy the Skype-to-VHS transfer. It had more to do with, I dunno, the lovely acting and a screenplay that requires you to do some external reading to piece a convoluted plot together.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Keanu Grieves posted:

To be fair, that is my least favorite segment, but not because I didn't buy the Skype-to-VHS transfer. It had more to do with, I dunno, the lovely acting and a screenplay that requires you to do some external reading to piece a convoluted plot together.

Well yeah, the Skype-to-VHS was the lob and the terrible acting and stupid dialogue was the home run out of the park.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

acephalousuniverse posted:

A haunted iPad would have been equally as stupid. Haunting an object works really well if the object doesn't take much to operate, or somehow summons evil (As in the case of the Evil Dead reel-to-reel). A portrait on a wall, music box, toy, etc. work well and can be creepy on their own; portrait can be unsettling, music box can play itself, the toy slowly rolls by on its own. That doesn't quite work with a VCR or VHS tape. It's the images on the tape that are creepy, so why even bother with the tape? Just haunt loving TVs. Skip the retarded format and haunt what's going to be around until the end of time. You could try having the thing mysteriously appear out of nowhere the next morning bit, but there's nothing scary about a ghost setting up a entertainment console from the 90s. What's next, a haunted WiFi hotspot or file extension? "I heard if you find a .boo file on your computer you're going to die a slow death!" :ohdear:

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Did you have this same problem with the Ring?

At the time, no, but looking back the concept is laughable but the imagery (save for the VHS bit) still works.

Blinky13
Apr 24, 2008
Not that I want to get embroiled in the VHS discussion, but Japan and Korea have had haunted/cursed phone calls, texts and websites for a while. In Kairo wasn't it the whole internet? Yes, sometimes it's more silly than scary, but it's important that we try haunting/cursing new things all the time. It is the way of progress.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

schwenz posted:

Little teaser trailer for S-VHS is up here.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/01/16/sundance-svhs/

Can't wait for VCD to complete the trilogy.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

A haunted iPad would have been equally as stupid.

But surely the whole point is that it's the ghost of an outdated piece of technology? A haunted iPad would be weird because iPads aren't 'dead'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

Cyra posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a seriously scary film? Not shock or gore horror, but deeply unnerving psychologically? I've never seen a movie that managed to make me feel truly terrified. I think the closest I've come is some of David Lynch's stuff.

One that never gets mentioned, but really deserves it is 1981's Ghost Story http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082449/. It's a slow burn, but an amazing cast: Fred Astaire, Melvyn Douglas, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., and John Houseman, not to mention a really sexy Alice Krige. It's a story about revenge, and old secrets. It reminds me of the aforementioned and also excellent The Changeling.