Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Crackbone posted:

But there's nothing "tucked into" the rulebook to allow fatigue recovery on a miss.

Oh, that's my bad - I completely missed the 'on a miss' part. My players regularly forget recovering stamina on a surge is even a thing you can do at all, so that's how I read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

werdnam posted:

Yes! I own Trajan and have played it twice. I like it a lot -- the "mancala" mechanic is cute and fun to play with. It has some downsides, though: (1) It's got a lot of little bits in lots of different areas, so it's a little annoying to set up. (I expect this can be fixed with a Plano box but I haven't done it yet.) (2) The rules take awhile to explain and you have to go through all of them to get started because basically it's a role selection game. Thus, you have to know what each role does to make informed choices; on top of that, most roles have a few sub-options and they all interact with each other's powers to varying degrees. (This can be mitigated by printing out some good player aids: BGG has several). (3) The mancala mechanic makes it look like you can plan way ahead, but it would take some sort of supergenius, I think, to be able to plan it all out several turns ahead. This means that if you have anyone prone to severe AP, this game might not be a good choice. (This problem can be mitigated, as with most AP problems, by choosing the players carefully.)

I know that sounds like a lot of downsides, but once the game starts going it flows pretty well, presents interesting choices, has multiple paths to victory, and uses some interesting creative mechanics. So I do recommend it although I acknowledge that it's not perfect. It probably would be better if it were pared down a bit, but I still enjoy it as is. And it won Games Magazine's "board game of the year" award for 2012, for whatever that's worth.

Hmm, that sounds mostly manageable. My group doesn't really tend to get wrapped up too much on analyzing minutiae, so this sounds like a pretty solid choice. Thanks!

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Oh, Vlaada. You so dreamy.

First game is tomorrow lunchtime. :neckbeard: I can't wait to get beat down by General Volkare.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Crackbone posted:

To be clear, miss is not the same thing as dealing no damage. You can have a successful attack that does no damage, in which case you can spend a surge. But there's nothing "tucked into" the rulebook to allow fatigue recovery on a miss.

My bad. But whatever the case, my players still forget to use surges to do anything...even non-fatigue. This is especially the case if they realize their attack won't actually do damage. Anyway, I think I'll call out "surge!" every time so they get used to the idea of thinking about using it.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

saint gerald posted:

First game is tomorrow lunchtime. :neckbeard: I can't wait to get beat down by General Volkare.

I'd be playing mine right the hell now if I wasn't in the middle of moving :(

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I don't know why I waited so long to get Galaxy Trucker but it's definitely made a Vlaada fanboy out of me. My only problem is it seems too easy with two players, with few credits missed out on from not finishing fast, and plenty of tiles to get everything you need without any real stress from the timer, especially for my wife who seems to be a natural at building amazingly disaster-proof ships with barely any exposed connectors. It does look like The Big Expansion comes with some stuff that would add some welcome difficulty (like the rough road cards, and the rules for taking out tiles for less players), so that's probably next on the list.

Oh, look at that, The Big Expansion is on a daily sale on CSI, the day after we made an order.:suicide:

On the bright side, we're playing right now, and her ship is about to eat a light and a heavy laser blast from behind, as soon as she gets off the phone with her client who decided to call (She works from home).

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
You can always rush your ship out and gently caress her over by making the building phase end earlier than she is ready for. That is pretty much my go-to strategy on that game to punish people who are slow at making decisions and perfectionist.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

I get to play my first game tomorrow too! There's nothing like busting out a Vlaada game for the first time.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Goddamn, I thought I was done with Summoner Wars, but then they announce second summoners. Flush, there goes the sound of another $100.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

GrandpaPants posted:

Goddamn, I thought I was done with Summoner Wars, but then they announce second summoners. Flush, there goes the sound of another $100.

Welp, goodbye paycheck.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!

Tekopo posted:

Hey Yoshimo, how's Dungeon Petz going? Hope the relative complexity of it didn't put your group off :ohdear:

Ahoy hoy! We played it for the first time last night, after I spent a good part of the day reading through the rules. It took a bit to set up, but with that many components it was to be expected.

However the game was already slightly sabotaged due to the room in question a) not having any overhead lights, only lamps, making it rather hard to see the board and rules, and b) not being terribly spacious, which made it somewhat cramped, so we couldn't really get a good look at the board. (It also increased the chances of one of us clumsy goons knocking over the entire board, but mercifully this didn't happen.)

The actual first round took a while to get through each phase, which was to be expected for the first game. We felt it could have done with a bit more foreshadowing of what the next rounds entailed, maybe something like a basic starting strategy, or explain what you should be looking for with your Imps. As it is we basically agreed to write off the first round, and just went for "whatever" under the assumption it'd all come together later.

Well, it did, slowly but surely things started making more sense, and the game only really slowed down when the "selling your pets" bit arrived. I don't know if we're all just thick or if the rules on it were a bit convoluted, but we had to call a timeout while I read over the section a few times until it sunk in.

Eventually, we got it finished after about maybe 2 and a half hours, which I think was to be expected for our first game. Everyone enjoyed it and wants to play it again, now that we know what we're doing.

The things everyone liked were the art and theme of the whole thing, especially the pictures of the Petz themselves. Also, as we all had a combined mental age of about 5, we were constantly cracking up every time someone made a reference to poop. Everyone thought the secret grouping and then turn-based placement of your workers was great fun as well.

Negative wise, there's nothing technically wrong with the game, the only thing that would come close is the rules could maybe be a bit more user friendly (or idiot friendly, in our case.) It did take a bit of puzzling and focus and drive to get through the first half an hour or so. I think if I was really stretching for niggles, the game board is just a teensy bit too small, and the fonts/symbols on the board weren't as clear as they could be. I think they could really have just made one big board, double sided depending on how many players you've got.

So, long story short - your gift created a lot of headaches last night but it looks like we'll be giving it a go next week!

edit - I also lost. I ended up with only two pets the entire game, from Round 1 and Round 2, and by Round 5 one of them had mutated itself into the netherworld, and the other had 6 Misery Cubes or whatever they're called, so no fucker wanted it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yay, glad your group managed to go through it! I agree that the game can be difficult the first time you play it (I own the game as well and I bought it because someone experienced taught me how to play), but once you go through it, it does all fit in the end, the only problem being that the game has very front-loaded rules, which, as you said, means that you need to know how the pets work before you can make informed decisions within the worker placement part of the game. It doesn't help that Vlaada rules, although fun to read, are hard to use to actually find the rule that you are missing, which can make it longer to look something up if you are going through the first game.

You actually bring really good points about the game: when I teach it to newbies, I tend to explain ALL about the pets and how they work first, including how you score them. It seems to trip up people that you play needs on your pets, which determines what needs they have in the first place, and then you attempt to fulfill them. As well as that, sometimes people don't understand that the needs that you play on that turn (but not necessarily fulfill) are what determines the score of your pet in relation to exhibitions and sellers.

Two hours and a half seems roughly right and is quite good for a first game where no one is completely fluent with the rules: it helps that (with 4 players) there's only 5 rounds in the game.

Once you get more experienced with Dungeon Petz, if you are looking for another quirky worker placement by Vlaada, I can't recommend Dungeon Lords enough. It has the same art as Dungeon Petz and came out before Petz came out and uses a different worker placement system, that makes the game very, very competitive. The game is pretty ruthless in that even a small mistake can be the difference between victory and loss, which is why I find it easier to play Dungeon Petz, although I love both games.

Ebethron
Apr 27, 2008

"I hear the coast is nice this time of year."
"If you're in the right business, it's nice all the year."
Upthread I worried a bit about whether Battlecon Devastation of Indines would end up with cringe-worthy animu fanservice. But I'll eat my words: it hasn't and its looking like it will turn out as a really cool game with a diverse cast of characters and a nice visual design to it. I'd strongly consider backing the Kickstarter, but the international shipping costs and the risk of being hit with a customs tax is making me feel I should wait. My local game store has War of Indines so I guess Devastation will be fairly widely available when it is released.

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.
My buddy meant to get me Mage Knight for the holidays, but I ended up with Mage Wars instead. Nice consolation prize, in my opinon!

I like the theme of the game, and the artwork! I was most blown away by the acutal spellbooks included in the gamebox. Nice looking binders with half sleeves for you to quickly put your spells into. Well done!

However, is this as complicated as the rulebook makes it appear to be? Also, it talks about being expandable to 4 players, will a completely new game need to be purchased for this, or is simply a board expansion?

Teh Madd Hatter
May 26, 2008
With the spell tome you can build three out of the four basic decks in the rulebook, but as to whether or not you need another board for four player I'm not sure. The base board does seem kind of small for four though.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Nitis posted:

My buddy meant to get me Mage Knight for the holidays, but I ended up with Mage Wars instead. Nice consolation prize, in my opinon!

I like the theme of the game, and the artwork! I was most blown away by the acutal spellbooks included in the gamebox. Nice looking binders with half sleeves for you to quickly put your spells into. Well done!

However, is this as complicated as the rulebook makes it appear to be? Also, it talks about being expandable to 4 players, will a completely new game need to be purchased for this, or is simply a board expansion?

The game is half as complex as the rulebook makes it seem.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Stelas posted:

Oh, that's my bad - I completely missed the 'on a miss' part. My players regularly forget recovering stamina on a surge is even a thing you can do at all, so that's how I read it.

Wait the gently caress this is a thing you can do?! In descent 1e?

I must remember it and do it and stuff.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

thespaceinvader posted:

No, Descent 2e. Well, 1e might have it but I won't touch 1e so I wouldn't know.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

saint gerald posted:

Fair warning. You will NOT be able to finish this during lunch. Put aside a good 2-3 hours for the tutorial campaign.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I know Payback Jack loves Mage Wars as well, but there's no way in hell you'd get me to play it with more than two. People are reporting two player games that take more than 7 hours and each person you add is going to add some significant down time. Also I think my brain would explode trying to figure out what to do where with four. Two is plenty challenging enough. Love the game though. We are playing a few games of it on Saturday, can't wait!

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I've played around 4 games of Mage Wars and I think they've all taken an hour each, thankfully. I wonder what people are doing that leads to 2 or more....

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

I'm interested in Mage Wars, but I'm not so sure about playing 60+ minute games. Just wondering if the outcome is really decided at the end of that time period or is it really decided earlier and it just takes a bit longer to finish it?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I played Dungeon Lords: Festival Season with three other people that had already played Dungeon Lords before. Man, the extras make the game even more awesome. Pets are awesome, the new orders are awesome, the new season is awesome, the new monsters are awesome and bards are really, really annoying, but I guess also awesome!

The only bad thing is that now everything is mixed together, but I guess that it's still possible to play the normal game even with the mixed in monsters/events/heroes etc.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

medchem posted:

I'm interested in Mage Wars, but I'm not so sure about playing 60+ minute games. Just wondering if the outcome is really decided at the end of that time period or is it really decided earlier and it just takes a bit longer to finish it?

You can lose momentum towards the end and will be staring at the inevitable. The time it takes is really because there are so many choices and depending on who you are, if you insist on evaluating every choice every turn, the game will take awhile. Both times I played, I was really more evaluating the game, so I didn't spend a lot of time in thought. And as tactics appear, the evaluation of what to do will take less time. I expect to eventually (within four plays) play it in 90 minutes or so.

Bamf
Jul 20, 2000

Anybody have any recommendations for good non-grognardy Board Game blogs or forums? I'm just kinda getting into it but I read other sites and I just want to... cry.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

For forums, this one :v:

For blogs, there's Meepletown. which is run by WhiteHowler, a goon, or otherwise there's the excellent shut up and sit down show/blog/podcast.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Does anyone have a link to a good Dungeon Lords tutorial? I read through the rulebook today and played the combat tutorials, but I'd like to see it in action before I try to teach it to other people (I always seem to forget a small rule that ends up mattering a lot).

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Just got Ticket to Ride, hoping to get my wife more into board games. She loves Dominion and also enjoys Carcassonne so hopefully this is the best decision following a lot of research.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Fun fact: a great way to burn someone out on Ticket to Ride is the iOS pocket app (it's great). My wife was glued to it for like 6 months and has sworn she's pretty much done with the game for good in any form at this point.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

No, D1 doesn't have it.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Just got galaxy trucker, after finishing the rule book I can't wait to play it.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Countblanc posted:

Does anyone have a link to a good Dungeon Lords tutorial? I read through the rulebook today and played the combat tutorials, but I'd like to see it in action before I try to teach it to other people (I always seem to forget a small rule that ends up mattering a lot).

It's really easy.

The Progress Board tells you when to put new things out. Each season goes New Round Setup -> Orders -> Production -> Event -> End of Round (except winter, which has no Event).

During Orders, everybody plays Order cards facedown into the 3 slots on your tableau. Once everybody's played Orders, they are all revealed, from left to right, 1 at a time, starting with the Starting Player (P1's 1st, P2's 1st, P3's 1st, P4's 1st, P1's 2nd, etc). When you reveal an Order, place a Minion in the topmost slot of that Order's representation on the main board. If you can't or don't want to, you can place your Minion on the Order card instead.

Once all Minions have been placed, resolve all the top row Orders from left to right and then the bottom row Orders from left to right (so Food, Reputation, Digging, Mining, Imps, Traps, Monsters, Rooms, in that order). Each spot in line has different effects, but it generally goes that being first in line gets you little for cheap and being last gets you a lot for a high cost (while being 2nd gets you the best of both).

Then, during Production, leftover Imps can work in Rooms. Then an Event happens. Then End of Round, where Imps come back and the Start Player cookie passes.

WhiteHowler ran 2 PbP threads of the game, you can use them for help:
The first, most of the pictures are dead but whatevs
The second, where like half the pictures work

I'll try to find you a video in the meantime.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Broken Loose posted:

It's really easy.

Yeah I get all those things (and the player aids are fantastic, I have to say), I'm just worried I'll forget stuff like "priests don't heal unless a monster attacked" like I did during the tutorial. The basic turn structure is simple and as you said illustrated very clearly on the board. Seeing the game in action helps me to remember those little things (which is why I absolutely adore the "Watch It Played" series), so I'll check out those LPs and hopefully that'll cement the little rules.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Countblanc posted:

Yeah I get all those things (and the player aids are fantastic, I have to say), I'm just worried I'll forget stuff like "priests don't heal unless a monster attacked" like I did during the tutorial. The basic turn structure is simple and as you said illustrated very clearly on the board. Seeing the game in action helps me to remember those little things (which is why I absolutely adore the "Watch It Played" series), so I'll check out those LPs and hopefully that'll cement the little rules.

Just remember the punchlines. Priests are assholes and hate their parties, and they also are friends with the Lawyers' Guild. The Priest code states that they "must heal their party after every combat" which legally states that if there is no combat, there is no heal obligation. Most of the fiddly rules are associated with humor (like the infamous Dungeon Petz "they go live happily ever after on a farm, oh, and add a token to the meat stand, these 2 rules have no thematic connection whatsoever") which makes them easier to remember. Everything else is represented on the cards and player aids.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I just got my Sedition Wars box from the kickstarter. I wasn't aware it required assembly (Zombicide didn't).

I'm not opposed to assembling plastics, since I play 40k and Malifaux already, but that's a lot of effort for a board game, and then it becomes harder to store, etc. Has anyone played the game? Is it worth the few hours it would take to assemble everything, and is it worth the trouble of then storing assembled figs since I can't just throw them all in a bag at that point?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Broken Loose posted:

Just remember the punchlines. Priests are assholes and hate their parties, and they also are friends with the Lawyers' Guild. The Priest code states that they "must heal their party after every combat" which legally states that if there is no combat, there is no heal obligation. Most of the fiddly rules are associated with humor (like the infamous Dungeon Petz "they go live happily ever after on a farm, oh, and add a token to the meat stand, these 2 rules have no thematic connection whatsoever") which makes them easier to remember. Everything else is represented on the cards and player aids.
It's the nitty little rules that will catch you.

Don't forget "If you don't pay your monster (or ghost) during Pay Day he leaves you and terrorizes the nearby village, gain one evil"

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Countblanc posted:

If it's your first game, I wouldn't worry too much. You will probably play without events, and you don't have to pay 1 gold if you take "Recruit Monster" as first action, etc. It's a complicated game, and I'm sure people will understand you missed some things here and there.

Overall, I find the rulebook good that it has all these funny little anecdotes to remember things, like "priests are assholes", and "conquered dungeons don't get much respect from adventures --> drop on the evil scale", "need a coin to use a trap in a room --> you have to lure the adventurers there".

Just play the game to the best of your knowledge. And make sure your group knows it's difficult, cutthroat game, and their primary objective for game 1 is to get positive points, and, similar to Galaxy Trucker, have fun watching the dungeons collapse in a giant spectacular failcascade of coming up short 1 coin, which snowballs into losing 3 rooms.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Lone Goat posted:

It's the nitty little rules that will catch you.

Don't forget "If you don't pay your monster (or ghost) during Pay Day he leaves you and terrorizes the nearby village, gain one evil"

Actually, I thought it was, "If you don't pay your monster (or ghost) during Pay Day, he quits and talks poo poo about you to everybody, lowering your Reputation."

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Dominion posted:

I just got my Sedition Wars box from the kickstarter. I wasn't aware it required assembly (Zombicide didn't).

I'm not opposed to assembling plastics, since I play 40k and Malifaux already, but that's a lot of effort for a board game, and then it becomes harder to store, etc. Has anyone played the game? Is it worth the few hours it would take to assemble everything, and is it worth the trouble of then storing assembled figs since I can't just throw them all in a bag at that point?

I dunno but if you decide it isn't I will totally take it off your hands :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Hey, so I just had a wonderful board game night with some buddies, and I realized I want to do this kind of thing more often. I looked at BoardGameGeek as per the OP, and didn't find the regional forums mentioned (probably because I am an idiot). Basically I am looking for either a local board game community or some goons who want someone to play with. I am in the Eugene, OR area. Anybody want to point me in the right direction? Even just pointing me towards the regional forums on BGG that I seem to have missed would be a nice start.

Edit: just found the Gamers Seeking Gamers thread. I am an idiot, I will leave this here as a testament to my shame.

Samfucius fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 17, 2013

• Locked thread