Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was about to ask the same question about the cable management for the TV, especially with regards to power. Building code in my area specs that I can't just run a standard power cable through the wall, but I need to terminate a proper power run behind the TV and then run a short cable to the TV itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Martytoof posted:

I was about to ask the same question about the cable management for the TV, especially with regards to power. Building code in my area specs that I can't just run a standard power cable through the wall, but I need to terminate a proper power run behind the TV and then run a short cable to the TV itself.

I'm familiar with that code and did not properly wire it... Though I very well could have if I wanted.

edit: Since I own my home no one can really get on me about it. I find the risk of fire acceptable. The cable runs clean through the wall so there's not really a chance of a live wire being exposed. I'm sure Holmes on Homes would freak out though.

benisntfunny fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 11, 2013

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Martytoof posted:

You want something like this In wall power They are really easy to install, and the romex wire in the wall isn't hot till you plug the regular power cables into them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

I'm familiar with that code and did not properly wire it... Though I very well could have if I wanted.

edit: Since I own my home no one can really get on me about it. I find the risk of fire acceptable. The cable runs clean through the wall so there's not really a chance of a live wire being exposed. I'm sure Holmes on Homes would freak out though.

Oh yeah I didn't mean to be accusatory or anything, I was just wondering how you handled it.

For what it's worth I would probably have DIY'd that the same way myself. Maybe I would have added some sort of conduit, I'm not sure. It depends on how much drywall work I wanted to do after the fact :q:

That in-wall power thing looks pretty badass, though sixty dollars is the point where I probably invest some time in just running a line properly if I can.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Martytoof posted:

Oh yeah I didn't mean to be accusatory or anything, I was just wondering how you handled it.

For what it's worth I would probably have DIY'd that the same way myself. Maybe I would have added some sort of conduit, I'm not sure. It depends on how much drywall work I wanted to do after the fact :q:

That in-wall power thing looks pretty badass, though sixty dollars is the point where I probably invest some time in just running a line properly if I can.

Oh okay :). I know some people get really up in arms about not doing things to code. I look at code as a general guideline. If I had done my whole house lovely like that there might be a problem but running a single cord through the wall that terminates outside the wall on both places isn't going to be a big deal.

Does anyone have any ideas for how I can hide these dumb wires? Even if I tie them all up and such they're still going to be there. Cable management is definitely the biggest reason I don't like my desk. I've seen some cable management trays at IKEA but they look like they will only fit IKEA desks. I almost think I'd have to weld/hack something together for mine :(.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

benisntfunny posted:

Oh okay :). I know some people get really up in arms about not doing things to code. I look at code as a general guideline. If I had done my whole house lovely like that there might be a problem but running a single cord through the wall that terminates outside the wall on both places isn't going to be a big deal.

Does anyone have any ideas for how I can hide these dumb wires? Even if I tie them all up and such they're still going to be there. Cable management is definitely the biggest reason I don't like my desk. I've seen some cable management trays at IKEA but they look like they will only fit IKEA desks. I almost think I'd have to weld/hack something together for mine :(.

It is a very big deal. If your house ever burns down for any reason, even completely unrelated, and they find that power cord, your insurance is going to instantly deny the claim and the courts will back them up.

Monoprice has a solution, it is safer, it meets code and is less than $50 for the whole rig.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042513&p_id=4652&seq=1&format=2

E: Niss beat me to it. But you get the idea.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Jonny 290 posted:

It is a very big deal. If your house ever burns down for any reason, even completely unrelated, and they find that power cord, your insurance is going to instantly deny the claim and the courts will back them up.

That is not true.

Source: I've worked for an insurance company for eight years and hear about stuff like this all the time. What they would try to do is link the fire to the cord but if it's clear what started the fire they would not "instantly deny the claim".

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Jonny 290 posted:

Monoprice has a solution, it is safer, it meets code and is less than $50 for the whole rig.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042513&p_id=4652&seq=1&format=2

E: Niss beat me to it. But you get the idea.

I always forget about Monoprice, funny cause that is the exact product from them I used when I did my Plasma install. It worked great and I highly recommend it.

Largo Usagi
Jan 9, 2013

Jufari posted:

I love setups like this, but I never understood the practical use for more than 3 or 4 monitors. Maybe I'm looking for an excuse to do something similar myself? :)

Well if you write code, edit video's or photos more monitors are better, but it is something to scale into. At 3 i was like I could really use a 4th monitor and now with the 6 I am commonly finding myself filling 5 of them and the 6th just runs system monitors on it for no reason. Bottom line if you use your computer as a tool you will eventually optimize its utility as a tool based on the resources available.

This is how i generally have been using those 6 monitors since setting them up.

[System Monitor][Test VM 1 ][ Test VM 2 ]
[Browser W/ API][VS/eclipse][TS3/Debugger]

If you are looking to get some really nice monitor mounts to do something like this, here is the company that made my mount.
http://www.atdec.com/

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Crossposting from the GBS thread

This is how not to wire peripherals.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dominoes posted:

Crossposting from the GBS thread

This is how not to wire peripherals.
Also where not to put a receiver :shobon:

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Misogynist posted:

Oh man, how much did those monitors set you back?

Nice setup!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Oh hey, I found a 6 monitor stand for $100 that's getting really good reviews on Amazon. Not sure if I want to try building a 6 monitor 27" setup for anything besides running daytrading software or other realtime market analysis systems or something from home because that's just way too drat goony for even myself.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

Oh hey, I found a 6 monitor stand for $100 that's getting really good reviews on Amazon. Not sure if I want to try building a 6 monitor 27" setup for anything besides running daytrading software or other realtime market analysis systems or something from home because that's just way too drat goony for even myself.

You probably couldn't anyways. When looking at stands always look at specs. 27" monitors are large and much heavier than say a 21 inch, so not all mounts will be able to really accommodate them. Just at a glance a 27" would probably be way to wide and heavy for it.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Juriko posted:

You probably couldn't anyways. When looking at stands always look at specs. 27" monitors are large and much heavier than say a 21 inch, so not all mounts will be able to really accommodate them. Just at a glance a 27" would probably be way to wide and heavy for it.

It says it holds monitors up to 13 lbs, and the dell 27" says it's 12.5 lbs without the stand. Dimensions are going to be a problem, because the page says it's designed for 19" monitors.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Wicaeed posted:

Oh man, how much did those monitors set you back?

Nice setup!
Thanks. $400 each; HP ZR24Ws.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

benisntfunny posted:

I don't know where you can buy them but they make baskets that are like 2" deep, 2" wide and run at different lengths. You could relocate your gaggle of wires up to that, mounted at the back of your desk, running the length of the desk. Having them up just below the surface of the desk hides them pretty well, makes them easily accessible (after you untangle them), and you don't really have to do any work to set it up besides laying them back and forth to extend them out across the basket. I'll see if I can find an example, but it really is the lazy man's cable management.

Here is a good example: http://lifehacker.com/179911/hack-attack-the-cordless-workspace-sort-of?tag=softwareworkspaces

Even with the opaque desk, it should be far enough back that it'll look cleaner then on the floor. Especially if you find a smaller basket then whats in the link. That guy zip ties everything, but it works well if you just lay them in there.

iceslice fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 17, 2013

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Misogynist posted:

Why? Where do you suggest moving it?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Dominoes posted:

If it where me I might try that tower holder that Ikea made for Jerker desk and mount the receiver vertically on the side of the desk. Or get a better monitor hutch and put it below the monitors. Or attach it to the underside of the desk, just leave enough of a gap between the top of receiver and the bottom of the desk to let it vent.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

iceslice posted:

I don't know where you can buy them but they make baskets that are like 2" deep, 2" wide and run at different lengths. You could relocate your gaggle of wires up to that, mounted at the back of your desk, running the length of the desk. Having them up just below the surface of the desk hides them pretty well, makes them easily accessible (after you untangle them), and you don't really have to do any work to set it up besides laying them back and forth to extend them out across the basket. I'll see if I can find an example, but it really is the lazy man's cable management.

Here is a good example: http://lifehacker.com/179911/hack-attack-the-cordless-workspace-sort-of?tag=softwareworkspaces

Even with the opaque desk, it should be far enough back that it'll look cleaner then on the floor. Especially if you find a smaller basket then whats in the link. That guy zip ties everything, but it works well if you just lay them in there.

They make them at IKEA....

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

iceslice posted:

Please don't use plastic zip ties. Get some velcro cable ties.

I'm all for cable management but you have to have the self-discipline to not rip all that poo poo apart when you're replacing one cable or something out of the bundle. When you get lazy with it, it goes downhill quick.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Bob Morales posted:

Please don't use plastic zip ties. Get some velcro cable ties.

I'm all for cable management but you have to have the self-discipline to not rip all that poo poo apart when you're replacing one cable or something out of the bundle. When you get lazy with it, it goes downhill quick.

Better/cheaper than Velcro ties if you need a lot: Velcro rolls at Walmart or wherever, right next to the ties. Usually get 3-6 feet, just cut to length.

Largo Usagi
Jan 9, 2013

Dominoes posted:

If that receiver is the same width as rack mountable audio equipment you could get mount brackets for it and attach it to an IKEA Lack table.

That is an idea of what it could look like, they are nice for use in cleaning up an office and providing more functional space will storing some hardware.

Also here is the monitor mount that I got. Its a little pricey but totally worth it, and I can confirm that you can fit 6 24 inc monitors with room to spare you probably could fit 6 25 inch monitors if the beveling is massive.

http://www.amazon.com/Atdec-SD-FS-H-Spacedec-Freestanding-Monitor/dp/tech-data/B006B5BXH2/ref=de_a_smtd

Largo Usagi fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 18, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tedronai66 posted:

Better/cheaper than Velcro ties if you need a lot: Velcro rolls at Walmart or wherever, right next to the ties. Usually get 3-6 feet, just cut to length.
How do you attach the velcro to the table? I have a glass desk in the middle of my room so my cable situation is hard to hide. :nms:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Josh Lyman posted:

How do you attach the velcro to the table?
Comedy answer: zip ties

More useful answer: sticky tape or screwed in, piercing one part of the velcro. I've had desk lamps and monitor mounts that clamped to my previous glass desk and put stuff in there as well.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

How do you attach the velcro to the table? I have a glass desk in the middle of my room so my cable situation is hard to hide. :nms:

http://www.velcro.com/Products/Adhesive-Backed.aspx something along those lines.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My understanding is that all adhesive backed velcro has adhesive on the backside hook and the loop strips, and that's clearly not what we want.

edited for clarity

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 18, 2013

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Josh Lyman posted:

My understanding is that all adhesive backed velcro has adhesive on the hook and the loop strips, and that's clearly not what we want.

Why would you ever put adhesive on the velcro bits?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

My understanding is that all adhesive backed velcro has adhesive on the hook and the loop strips, and that's clearly not what we want.

This would defeat the purpose of velcro, why would you think that :psyduck:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

rscott posted:

This would defeat the purpose of velcro, why would you think that :psyduck:

You are not reading what he is saying correctly. He is saying both the hook and the loop strips have adhesive on the back, not one or the other. The idea is you take two items, stick one of the two pieces of velcro on each of them, and then can use the permanently glued on velcro to temporarily stick the items together. This is not ideal for cable management purposes.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Someone should manufacture cables with velcro casing, easy peasy cable management.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it
He probably meant something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Reusable-Self-Gripping-Inches-90924/dp/B000F5K82A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358556712

Where you don't have to cut the plastic ties and can just remove a wire then retie. Surprised people use plastic ties anymore when these have been around forever.

durk onion
Oct 25, 2010
Stick the adhesive backed Velcro to your desk. Use the non-adhesive Velcro roll cut to length and stick it to the Velcro on your desk. Voila.

Edit: I also use cable staples on a cable that I know I'm not going to move ever, then Velcro the other cables to that anchor one. It's a little more sturdy.

durk onion fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 19, 2013

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
What's the recommended model of desk-clamping monitor stand for supporting two 23" monitors? I know it's come up in here before.

shuriken
Dec 2, 2002
Either of these will work:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824995006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824994005

There are some fancier ones if you want more degrees of freedom, like being able to rotate each monitor, or spill one soda across both of them.

Edit: whoops, one of those may not actually clamp to the desk. Looks like it might just balance precariously.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Mierdaan posted:

What's the recommended model of desk-clamping monitor stand for supporting two 23" monitors? I know it's come up in here before.

I have an Ergotron Dual LX waiting in the closet for as soon as my custom desk arrives and is finished by the local shop. It's nice, even just sitting in the box. :D

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
I couldn't justify the $$$ for an Ergotron, so I ended up getting this thing. I'll report back with my experience, but it (and the one for <=24" monitors) has really good reviews and is a helluva lot cheaper.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Mierdaan posted:

I couldn't justify the $$$ for an Ergotron, so I ended up getting this thing. I'll report back with my experience, but it (and the one for <=24" monitors) has really good reviews and is a helluva lot cheaper.

I will be very interested to see the trip report. I have a 27 and 24" monitor right now that aren't quite high enough (though I could use books I suppose)

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Tedronai66 posted:

I will be very interested to see the trip report. I have a 27 and 24" monitor right now that aren't quite high enough (though I could use books I suppose)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052AWGLE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I got this one about a year ago and it looks pretty similar to that one. It is very sturdy/heavy duty and works great. I have a 27" on one arm and a 24" on the other. I was surprised at how heavy duty it was, I really do love it.

e: Recommended it to a friend as well and he was happy with the purchase too.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I have a couple 19" monitors on one of these, had have been extremely happy with it. Granted, I don't ever move my monitors, so if you want to be able to move them around a bunch it's probably not the best mount.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082808&p_id=5560&seq=1&format=2