Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Eddain posted:

Plus you could just replay the DLC missions that give items/gold and grind that instead.

If you're on anything less than Lunatic, SpotPass old-series teams can be summoned infinitely and can be grinded for free.

(On Lunatic, they only give 1 exp.)

But really, avoid grinding unless you need to. It makes the game balance a lot better.

\/\/\/\/\/ There's a Lunatic+ difficulty I guess renamed to Insane in the Eng. version once you beat Lunatic. Every enemy gets two of Big Shield, Holy Shield, Ambush, etc. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateluigi987
Feb 14, 2012

Terper posted:

- Also, the hardest difficulty is Insane, not Lunatic.

You sure about this one? The quick look video a few posts up shows the names of the difficulties in-game, and the hardest is called Lunatic. I'm 100% sure it's the English version!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BlondRobin posted:

If you're on anything less than Lunatic, SpotPass old-series teams can be summoned infinitely and can be grinded for free.

(On Lunatic, they only give 1 exp.)
They can still be grinded infinitely anyway! :shepface:

Also why is the Black Knight in the SpotPass stuff in a class that can't use swords? I could reclass him to demon fighter or something I guess, but still.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Huh. Yeah, guess I'm wrong. It's Normal, Hard, Lunatic, and Insane, apperantly.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Is anyone else going to import the Bundle? I wonder how much the shipping costs will be...

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I just hope that retail copies are ready by Feburary 4th. My gamestop receipt said that my game will be ready to pick up on the 5th (I preordered back on December 7th), and Amazon has a notice of possible shipping delays. That eshop digital copy might taunt me out of another 40 bucks if I have to wait another day.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's about god drat time we got another Fire Emblem, though I don't own a 3DS. Not too sure about the DLC or the recruitable children thang.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The DLC's pretty optional. If you don't want it, then you aren't really missing out on anything - it doesn't seem to be going the route of 'here's a critical plot element for five dollars,' or something, and it doesn't slam the fact that there's DLC in your face like, say, Dragon Age: Origins. If you wanna play the Smash Brothers dream team and have Marth and Roy back to back, cool, here's Marth and Roy. If you don't, then you've only missed out on having Marth and Roy. Which you obviously don't want.

It's a pretty good way of handling DLC, in my opinion.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Any word on if we'll be getting all the DLC they released in Japan? I know a lot of the characters are from games that were never released in the US.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT66kLCNx8U

First 20 minutes of the game, if anyone is inclined.

Holy moly, I just watched this video, and drat, this guy playing. He puts Lissa, with 7HP, right in front of the boss... and then scores a 5% critical with his Avatar and wins anyway. :psyduck: drat you Fire Emblem, you fickle beast.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Endorph posted:

If you wanna play the Smash Brothers dream team and have Marth and Roy back to back, cool, here's Marth and Roy. If you don't, then you've only missed out on having Marth and Roy. Which you obviously don't want.

Aren't a bunch of the DLC characters included as part of the Spotpass roster, anyway? Like, you can still get versions of dudes like Marth or Ike or whoever for free that are different to the ones you can pay for?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I take it the demo is NA only seeing as the game won't come out in Europe until April. I'll have to give it a shot if I remember it's out.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, no demo for PAL-land (yet).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Aren't a bunch of the DLC characters included as part of the Spotpass roster, anyway? Like, you can still get versions of dudes like Marth or Ike or whoever for free that are different to the ones you can pay for?

All of them are available through spotpass too, along with 108 other characters (120 total) made up of teams of the ten most popular characters enemy and ally from every previous Fire Emblem.

Hell, including a character that you recruit in-game.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I wonder if the bundle will also release in the PAL region. If I werent so sure that it will take ages for atlus games etc to come over here (if at all!) for the 3ds I'd just wait for that instead. Tough choices! I'm really hyped for this game though.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I am so sad that I don't have the money to get a 3DS and the game. :smith: At least I've got 7H-10 to keep me busy until I obtain such money.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

Holy moly, I just watched this video, and drat, this guy playing. He puts Lissa, with 7HP, right in front of the boss... and then scores a 5% critical with his Avatar and wins anyway. :psyduck: drat you Fire Emblem, you fickle beast.
He has Lissa tanking hits the entire time and lets Frederick get all the kills. It's kind of amazing.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

How will the SpotPass DLC work? It randomly downloads onto my 3DS while it's in sleep mode and has WiFi access?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Cheap Trick posted:

How will the SpotPass DLC work? It randomly downloads onto my 3DS while it's in sleep mode and has WiFi access?

I'm going to be moving across the ocean in March so I'll probably be broke. Gonna have to get a 3DS and this game anyway!
Does anybody know if that badass bundle is going to be available in EU as well?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
:negative: And now my country decides to block imported electronic products and raise prices by 300%. I guess I'll get this game in a few years. :v:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

RuBisCO posted:

Oh my God! Gimle and Dark Tome Gimle are localized as Grima and Grima's Truth! The English localization is just amazing all around! :allears:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Folt The Bolt posted:

Oh my God! Gimle and Dark Tome Gimle are localized as Grima and Grima's Truth! The English localization is just amazing all around! :allears:

I can legitimately not tell if this is sarcasm or not. :v:

(Man, they changed Krom to Chrom probably to avoid legal action from the Doyle estate, how the hell did Nintendo Legal think Grima would pass muster?)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They probably changed Gimle's name to prevent the assumption that you had his axe.

As for why Grima... iunno, the reference fits better?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

SpaceDrake posted:

I can legitimately not tell if this is sarcasm or not. :v:

(Man, they changed Krom to Chrom probably to avoid legal action from the Doyle estate, how the hell did Nintendo Legal think Grima would pass muster?)

Maybe because this name is only copyrighted in it's full form? But yeah, that's a pretty awesome change. Now waiting till April is going to be hard.

V This I kind of agree too. But on the other hand, this means my dream of fielding an all wyvern and pegasus knight army will come to fruition. Death from above! :black101:

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 17, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Regy Rusty posted:

I guess I'll have to see how it's integrated. It does sound more important and hopefully it'll make natural sense as to when it should be done. One of the reasons I don't like it in 11 and 12 is that you can just do it whenever, and I had no way of deciding when it was a good idea, so I just chose to ignore it.

It doesn't change the fact that characters feel less like individuals when they can just swap sideways to be another class which is the other reason I don't like it.

This is my sole problem with reclassing also. It's less interesting when Haar is no longer Haar, badass Wyvern Lord, but instead Haar general amorphous badass who I should probably reclass repeatedly. I liked it more when class was integral to character.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The problem there is repeated end-classing has an end goal in mind. You can't have a dude in every class at once, so you have to have a pre-planned end class in mind for them. Haar is still a badass Wyvern Lord, he just spends some of the game as a Berserker and a General.

But yeah, this game's reclassing is a lot less hosed than FE11/12's.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 17, 2013

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

This is my sole problem with reclassing also. It's less interesting when Haar is no longer Haar, badass Wyvern Lord, but instead Haar general amorphous badass who I should probably reclass repeatedly. I liked it more when class was integral to character.

It's doubly hosed in 12 when they hand you 9 out of the 13-15 top tier characters by chapter 4. You end up having a stacked party of amorphous badasses before the 80 or so scrubs in the game even get a chance. Why the gently caress would I ever want Navarre when Palla, Catria, Sirius, and Luke can all easily slide into his role on a dime?

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 17, 2013

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Ughhhhh I planned to ignore the 3DS completely but I can't say no to that lovely bundle. Are there any other worthwhile 3DS games out there so I don't feel lovely about it once I'm done with Awakening?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Heavy neutrino posted:

Ughhhhh I planned to ignore the 3DS completely but I can't say no to that lovely bundle. Are there any other worthwhile 3DS games out there so I don't feel lovely about it once I'm done with Awakening?
Star Fox 64 3DS and Zelda 64 3DS are obviously remakes of good games, if you don't feel like digging out your 64 every time you want to play those. Mario Kart 7 is a good Mario Kart game, if you like Mario Kart. Kid Icarus Uprising is also very good, and Super Mario 3D Land is the requisite Good Mario Platformer. If you're bored with that then skip it, but if you still like those then go for broke. From there it depends mostly on the sort of stuff you like.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Endorph posted:

Star Fox 64 3DS and Zelda 64 3DS are obviously remakes of good games, if you don't feel like digging out your 64 every time you want to play those. Mario Kart 7 is a good Mario Kart game, if you like Mario Kart. Kid Icarus Uprising is also very good, and Super Mario 3D Land is the requisite Good Mario Platformer. If you're bored with that then skip it, but if you still like those then go for broke. From there it depends mostly on the sort of stuff you like.

All this (I need to really chime in and double recommend Kid Icarus though), Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, Theatrhythm, Tales of the Abyss, and on the eShop there is the excellent puzzler Pushmo. As well as some other stuff.
Oh and the 3DS is getting a new Etrian Odyssey game near the end of February, so if you get Fire Emblem and it you can have two punishingly hard but very different RPGs! :v:

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Put down my reserve on the special edition today! Looking so forward to playing this. This game finally convinced me that a 3ds was worth owning.

Paper_Masochist
Oct 21, 2008

Heavy neutrino posted:

I really gotta recommend against the bundle. The design on the outside of that 3DS rocks so much so that I imported the Japanese one and voided my warranty to replace the shell but the XL is just so much better.

Plus if you get an XL now you can get the really surprisingly good SRPG, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon:Shadow Wars to tide you over.

Laex
Sep 24, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Is anyone else going to import the Bundle? I wonder how much the shipping costs will be...

I'm hoping play-asia gets some in stock or something, haven't found yet any online retailer who does overseas shipping of the bundle.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

This will be my first Fire Emblem game because I was always turned off by stupid perma-death and now with the option to be rid of that, I am interested to play.

That said, I have a question: What exactly are the key differences between classes? From what I have seen there is no class specific abilities, you just walk beside dude and swing. If any given class can use the same weapon as another class, why should I pick one over the other? I assume mounted/flying classes move further and some stats might be different but other than that I am clueless.

Example that specifically I wonder about is that your My Unit class is good with swords and spells, but so is the dark knight class, why one over the other?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

RuBisCO posted:

This guy sounds creepy as gently caress.

EDIT: On second thought, less creepy and more annoying.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

This will be my first Fire Emblem game because I was always turned off by stupid perma-death and now with the option to be rid of that, I am interested to play.

That said, I have a question: What exactly are the key differences between classes? From what I have seen there is no class specific abilities, you just walk beside dude and swing. If any given class can use the same weapon as another class, why should I pick one over the other? I assume mounted/flying classes move further and some stats might be different but other than that I am clueless.

Example that specifically I wonder about is that your My Unit class is good with swords and spells, but so is the dark knight class, why one over the other?

There are several important differences between classes:

Most importantly, each class has different stats. Mercenary and Myrmidon can both only use swords, yes, but Mercenaries are stronger and more durable whereas Myrmidons are faster and more accurate. This affects not only the unit's current stats but also their growth rates, so a unit who spends more time as a Myrmidon is likely to become faster whereas a unit who spends more time as a Mercenary is likely to become stronger. This matters quite a bit.

Each class has two unique skills that can only be unlocked through them. Up to five unlocked skills can be equipped on one unit at a time, but in order to unlock them in the first place you've got to be in that class. The skills unlocked in this way generally complement a class' strengths, and in some cases are essential to their proper functioning.

Most characters only have access to a limited selection of classes, and most of the time that selection of classes does not contain a redundancy in weapon availability. So choice of class is partly a matter of what characters you want to use. Additionally, there are more pronounced differences between the promoted classes, even between very similar base classes.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Evil Canadian posted:

Stat caps. Different classes have different caps for various stats. Some are speedier, other hit harder. Also, the tactician only class starts out as a physical unit, with presumably higher strength and lower magic stats as well as caps, while the Dark Knight is a promotion from mage. Also, the Dark Knight is a mounted unit, which give certain benefits (move farther, can remove after acting), and drawback (severely handicapped movement on certain grounds, vulnerability certain weapons). Considering the importance of stats in that game, it's not a minor thing.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:

Evil Canadian posted:

Someone will be able to answer these questions much better than I can, but: there are huuuge differences between classes. A knight will learn skills inherent to knights, while mages will get something else entirely. Also, class determines what weapons you can equip - there's nobody who can wield everything.

Edit: Cake Attack, can you maybe add something to the OP please to explain how leveling up determines stat increases, and why everyone should be excited for the phenomenon of empty levels? :unsmigghh:

Ern Malley fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 17, 2013

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's a real bummer that the 3DS bundle is for US and Canada only. I live in Brazil and was waiting for it to be announced on the West before i could buy a 3DS since i fell in love with the Japanese bundle when i first saw it. Oh well, might as well just prebuy the normal game and look for a cheap XL somewhere else. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ern Malley posted:

Edit: Cake Attack, can you maybe add something to the OP to explain how leveling up determines stat increases, and why everyone should be excited for the phenomenon of empty levels? :unsmigghh:

I got my first empty level and the character's comment was "Someone has to maintain the status quo."

I feel that is the best possible response to an empty level.

• Locked thread